Marijuana and Bodybuilding

Page 2 of 23 First 1234 ... Last

1. Marijuana Health Mythology

and if you google each study independently they are somewhat easy to find.

2. There's nothing wrong with it, as long as it doesn't hurt your motivation.
    •   

3. ubi you clown..! im starting to look forward to your creative changes to your avys....

how about gandalf?

4. lol those studies are probly straight off the "legalize marijuana" website

I don't care what anybody says... chronic use of the herb f*cks you up

now if you take a few rips every once in a while to chill and relax, your not going to have any probs... but using that garbage everyday is going to hinder just about any goals you have

I smoked for like 3 years straight in highschool just about everyday and i when i finally quit it was like night and day in regards to the way i felt, mental clarity, motivation... everything

I doubt that there are to many chronic everyday users here on a bodybuilding forum, but to all the pple that use everyday and come up with all this garbage about how it doesn't effect health/mental status ect... it is because you have an addiction! and with every addiction comes the need to justify that addiction!

lol sh*t that was me 4-5 years ago, weed was the best thing in the world and i was gonna smoke it till i was 100 years old... but then i grew up

like i said theres no prob. blazin every once in a while to relax and enjoy some good food, but don't kid yourselves and think doin it everyday doesn't have any negative effects!

5. there is no question that MJ alters mental state. no one is arguing that. and this can be argued as a negative or positive side effect depending on the user. obviously, movinweight views this as negative.

however there are no conclusive studies showing that long term use of MJ is significantly detrimental to health (with exception to the inhalation of tar content).

earlier studies performed showing negative health effects of MJ have since been disproved. those old studies were conducted back when govt propaganda was attempting to gain public support in criminalization of drug use in the U.S.

i'm open to a change of opinion, you just need to direct me to some valid studies instead of telling me about your personal experiences.

6. I'll have to locate the study when i have more time or someone here can search for it, but i remember reading a persons risk of hear-attack is increased by 5-fold within the first hour of smoking

And it also causes an dose dependent increase in heart-rate... can increase anxiety and blood pressure... now whether these will cause long term problems? maybe not but i was defintely more concerned with the cognitive/mental effects of the drug

i mean chronic use makes you a moron... slow reacting, loss of short term memory ect...

7. I take lifting very seriously, I also smoke daily, just a few hits a couple a times a day, if you get baked, I can't see how that is benificial, I like to just alter my mood a little and eat several huge meals throughout the day

8. Also no conclusive data showing it to be "addictive". Habit forming..yes, but not addictive in the classic sense. That's just been a recent addition to the claims against pot so that drug treatment centers can drum up more business...ie get busted for pot, then you have to go to rehab.

Smoking chronically as a teen is much different than doing so as an adult. Teens are undergoing the most major neurological changes that will dictate how their brains will function in later life. IMO, ANY mood altering or nuerotropic substance use at this stage is a risk and should be avoided.

As for adult use..recent studies point to there being no permanent harm to any level of brain function. Short term memory loss can occur, but only under the direct influence of pot and the memory loss disappears upon cessation.

I smoked for about 9 years straight with hardly a break until recently. I bodybuilt up to my desired physique, worked a job in the sciences, sired a healthy and beautiful baby, maintained a good marriage, started a remodeling business, and am about to start a new business...all during daily MJ use and all without issues.

I quit because I wanted a break and to avoid building up a huge tolerance.

I also know or am affiliated with several millionaires who do the same...hard working, intelligent people who simply enjoy the bud.

Are there those who can't handle it? Sure. A certain percentage of people out there will use just about anything to run away from or alter their perspective realities. These are the ones who will preach how awful it or any other drug is after they get themselves together. They then "know" how bad the pot was and what it can do when in reality, they were self medicating for a reason and that reason has probably not been addressed or it went away on it's own. Hard drugs are obviously different and do indeed alter neurochemical pathways over the long term causing a person to become someone else.

Too much of anything is bad, but what is seldom talked about is what the reasons are for using too much. It's easier to blame substance X and now you can't even play poker without being bombarded with "You might have a gambling problem if..." media of some type.

There's that little thing called "personal responsibility"..ya either got it or you don't. If you don't, you'll find something to destroy yourself with and blame it on.

The Devil made me post all of that

A book I highly recommend "Marijuana Myths, Marijuana Facts" examines all of the claims against pot and what the scientific based realities really are.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Movin_weight View Post
    I'll have to locate the study when i have more time or someone here can search for it, but i remember reading a persons risk of hear-attack is increased by 5-fold within the first hour of smoking

And it also causes an dose dependent increase in heart-rate... can increase anxiety and blood pressure... now whether these will cause long term problems? maybe not but i was defintely more concerned with the cognitive/mental effects of the drug

i mean chronic use makes you a moron... slow reacting, loss of short term memory ect...

The heart study was done in a group of sedantary, over-50 adults and does not represent a definitive study. For a person who is in shape and takes care of themselves, the 60 minute boost in BP is probably not significant...ie excercise itself elevates BP when you are actively lifting.

Your "moron" comment would be taken more seriously if you used proper punctuation.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Movin_weight View Post
    I'll have to locate the study when i have more time or someone here can search for it, but i remember reading a persons risk of hear-attack is increased by 5-fold within the first hour of smoking

yes, this you happen to be somewhat correct here. however, exercise also increases heart rate and heart attack risk. still, health professionals recommend exercise despite how dangerous it is.

Myth: Pot causes high blood pressure
    According to the NAS, the effects of marijuana on blood pressure are complex, depending on dose, administration, and posture.(7) Marijuana often produces a temporary, moderate increase in blood pressure immediately after ingestion; however, heavy chronic doses may slightly depress blood pressure instead. One common reaction is to cause decreased blood pressure while standing and increased blood pressure while lying down, causing people to faint if they stand up too quickly. There is no evidence that pot use causes persisting hypertension or heart disease; some users even claim that it helps them control hypertension by reducing stress.

One thing THC does do is to increase pulse rates for about an hour. This is not generally harmful, since exercise does the same thing, but it may cause problems to people with pre-existing heart disease. Chronic users may develop a tolerance to this and other cardiovascular reactions.
    •   

11. well said bioman

12. There is definatelely a possibility of addiction... just b/c something is not "physically" addictive does not mean a person will not become mentally attached to it

either way i know that in moderation the drug can be used safely for the most part and your only real health risk is the fact that it's smoked

i'm just speaking mostly out of personal experience... there are always the exception, and people who are different

And like i said I used to smoke heavy throughout the day everyday so that is alot different than taking a few rips off a joint every night to relax

lol either way i dunno why i'm still arguing about this, it's definately not like me to preach about this type of sh*t, i guess i was just bored yesterday...i have many friends who still blaze and i'll even hit it once in a great while... i just hate f*uckin brain dead potheads!

nuff said
    one love!

13. lol,

Well yeah, some people who smoke all day long are, shall we say, less than motivated individuals but IMO, they probably lacked that from the get-go.

A puff or two at night before bed was all I ever cared for just for the improved sleep and muscle relaxation. Never have like smoking during the day unless I was really sick.

Though the research seems to indicate moderate use poses little risk of lung disease or cancer..intuitively it's still never good to put smoke in your lungs. Unlike cigarette smoke, MJ by sheer volume and frequency is generally taken in in much smaller amounts and far less often. MJ smoke may have more tar, but less of the tar that is deposited stays in the lungs because it does not kill off the cillia like cig smoke. MJ smoke also tends to be dialate the bronchii whereas cig smoke constricts them making expectoration much more difficult so the toxins stay in the lungs for the long term.

14. Quote Originally Posted by b unit View Post
    well said bioman
    I'll second that! Living up here we have the law on our side if you are home, I know plenty of people who smoked alot when we were young and they are the typical wake and bake and not all that succesful in life and I also know PLENTY of well educated financially savy and sucessful people who burn daily. Moderation is the key. I can honesty say I have never heard of anyone who got super stoned and beat his wife and kids!

15. Quote Originally Posted by bioman View Post
    lol,

Well yeah, some people who smoke all day long are, shall we say, less than motivated individuals but IMO, they probably lacked that from the get-go.
    QFT

It's funny because I came here to ask this question and the damn thing was already asked. Oh well... Tons of good points but this is how I take it...

After I bust ass in the gym, a car ride with mary relaxes my muscles and I have one hell of a sleep!!! I've seen no side effects as to decreased gains in muscle mass. Until I see a loss in that...mary is my freind.

16. Quote Originally Posted by crimsn View Post
    QFT

It's funny because I came here to ask this question and the damn thing was already asked. Oh well... Tons of good points but this is how I take it...

After I bust ass in the gym, a car ride with mary relaxes my muscles and I have one hell of a sleep!!!
    won't hurt the appetite either

17. Quote Originally Posted by Movin_weight View Post
    There is definatelely a possibility of addiction... just b/c something is not "physically" addictive does not mean a person will not become mentally attached to it

either way i know that in moderation the drug can be used safely for the most part and your only real health risk is the fact that it's smoked

i'm just speaking mostly out of personal experience... there are always the exception, and people who are different

And like i said I used to smoke heavy throughout the day everyday so that is alot different than taking a few rips off a joint every night to relax

lol either way i dunno why i'm still arguing about this, it's definately not like me to preach about this type of sh*t, i guess i was just bored yesterday...i have many friends who still blaze and i'll even hit it once in a great while... i just hate f*uckin brain dead potheads!

nuff said
    one love!
    This begs the question: Do individuals susceptible to psychological addiction gravitate towards marijuana use, or does marijuana use promote psychological addiction?

I find this argument tangential to the b.s. rhetoric used by anti-drug politicians in regards to steroids. The question in this case would be, and more relevant to the overarching topic of the board in general: do steroid "abusing" individuals succumb to fits of "'roid rage", or are individuals susceptible to fits of rage attracted to steroids?

Moreover, you generally only hear and read in the news about the negative aspects and users of illegal and scheduled substances. Why? Legality issues aside, status quo and social perception could play a contributing factor....

18. Bingo and I beleive there are studies relating to your initial question. Most of the "gateway to other drugs" claims have been disproved by extensive sociological study. Basically they showed that although most addicts of hard drugs also used MJ, nearly all the addicts had come from troubled backgrounds..ie childhoods with instances of mental illness and criminal behavior BEFORE they ever used drugs.

So when you look at it from that perspective, most of your addicts appear to be self medicating..possibly for a pre-existing mental illness. Treating the mental illness would be more humane and just than tossing them into prison and further degrading their lives.
  19. MTNMEDIC

I've been smoking marijuana for some time,..I'd probally be a paranoid retard or a vegetable if all that was true. the medical benefits have made quite a difference in my health and well being. Thanks to the open minds of voters and suporters, the sick now can save themselves from most of the side effects and high costs of perscription meds with a better alternative.

20. Quote Originally Posted by Movin_weight View Post
    There is definatelely a possibility of addiction... just b/c something is not "physically" addictive does not mean a person will not become mentally attached to it

nuff said
    one love!
    I have no respect for chronic drug users. A little pot here and there, sure... I agree about those burnout types. If I'm around them in a group, I'll just sit there and rag on them all night in a very sarcastic/dry manner.

I use GHB every night to go to sleep at just a couple of (ml)s before bed. I use it to sleep through a flight as well. If someone asked what I use to sleep so deeply, 75% of the time if I tell someone what it is, I get, "YOU'RE DATE RAPING YOURSELF! BLAH BLAH BLAH!"

Non-harmful things in moderation, all the way.
    Freedom means nothing here.

21. I agree with everyone on here that a lil weed every once in a while, or even in small amounts daily doesnt cause any problems. I personally do it everynight almost, just to relax after a hard workout and to help increase the appetite. Smoke on all my fellow friends! LOL

22. Quote Originally Posted by CaponeCEO View Post
    I have a serious consideration about any type of smoking and the effects it has on your lungs. Basically any type of smoking over time hinders the exchange of oxygen in the capilaries in the lung fields....to some degree. I firmly believe that oxygen in the muscles would be directly effected by this, and oxygen is what the muscles crave. Without proper oxygenation the muscle will not have the vital needs to grow.
    Current research shows your lungs will recover from years of cigarette smoke in as little as 5-6 months. I can't imagine this being worse for MJ

23. Quote Originally Posted by RenegadeRows View Post
    killing brain cells
    Not enough evidence to support this, plus as another poster has said the neuroprotective properties of MJ are beginning to actually be researched.

24. Quote Originally Posted by Movin_weight View Post
    I doubt that there are to many chronic everyday users here on a bodybuilding forum, but to all the pple that use everyday and come up with all this garbage about how it doesn't effect health/mental status ect... it is because you have an addiction! and with every addiction comes the need to justify that addiction!
    A lot more than you would think.

Personally I smoke every now and again.

Compare the negative effects of MJ to the negative effects of alcohol, yet no one thinks twice about that. Hell, its common that a college student will drink 2-3 times every week.

25. Quote Originally Posted by Wedgylx View Post
    A lot more than you would think.

Personally I smoke every now and again.

Compare the negative effects of MJ to the negative effects of alcohol, yet no one thinks twice about that. Hell, its common that a college student will drink 2-3 times every week.
    Dude, if licking frogs would get someone high, there would be people out trying it without researching it... Wait a minute, people already have tried that!

Oh... not to mention baking banana peels and trying to extract 'bananadine' with ethyl alcohol in an attempt to make banana-crack in which to smoke and get high. Bro people rarely care about the side effects man. Stop comparing things to alcohol. It's really getting old and just because it's legal, it shouldn't be a fall-back comparison for every known psychotropic substance on Earth.

If you're going to recreationally use a substance to induce a 'higher' state of mind, by all means go about it in a way that is condusive to your health and well-being. It's actually quite simple not to beat around the bush...

ex. "Oh I snort a couple rails of snow every now and then... uhhh but HEY, you know that statistics show that alcohol has been known to cause fetal alcohol syndrome? Coke can't do that!"

Don't justify your habits or behaviors. It lowers your integrity.

26. Quote Originally Posted by RenegadeRows View Post
    cons:
    killing brain cells
    That's *alcohol*, bro - time for more research?

27. Quote Originally Posted by Force of Green View Post

Don't justify your habits or behaviors. It lowers your integrity.
    I don't need any lessons in integrity, thank you.

I'm not a habitual "every night" smoker - nor do I feel the need to defend any choices I make in my life to anyone else.

I'm just saying that ripping on people who smoke weed every now and again because of its "harmful" effects while tolerating and participating in more detrimental activities makes a person a hypocrite.

I'd say cycling is far worse for you than recreational marijuana use, even when used responsibly

28. Quote Originally Posted by Wedgylx View Post
    I don't need any lessons in integrity, thank you.

I'm not a habitual "every night" smoker - nor do I feel the need to defend any choices I make in my life to anyone else.

I'm just saying that ripping on people who smoke weed every now and again because of its "harmful" effects while tolerating and participating in more detrimental activities makes a person a hypocrite.

I'd say cycling is far worse for you than recreational marijuana use, even when used responsibly
    The integrity comment wasn't directed at you persay, but just some food for thought to those who constantly try and justify some crappy habits.

29. Quote Originally Posted by Movin_weight View Post
    lol those studies are probly straight off the "legalize marijuana" website

I don't care what anybody says... chronic use of the herb f*cks you up

now if you take a few rips every once in a while to chill and relax, your not going to have any probs... but using that garbage everyday is going to hinder just about any goals you have

I smoked for like 3 years straight in highschool just about everyday and i when i finally quit it was like night and day in regards to the way i felt, mental clarity, motivation... everything

lol sh*t that was me 4-5 years ago, weed was the best thing in the world and i was gonna smoke it till i was 100 years old... but then i grew up

like i said theres no prob. blazin every once in a while to relax and enjoy some good food, but don't kid yourselves and think doin it everyday doesn't have any negative effects!
    You also have to take in consideration you did this in highschool...your attention span and motivation to do anything besides have fun are not as controlled at a more mature age. I have disciplined my smoking and exercise habits much more since high school..

30. you all need to get a VapoCannon and chill the **** out.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Psoriasis and bodybuilding
    By theface in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 12-29-2012, 10:33 AM
  2. Marijuana and Bodybuilding
    By Gus1986 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 11-20-2011, 08:17 PM
  3. tattoos and bodybuilding
    By spatch in forum General Chat
    Replies: 13