10 oz Chicken, breast, with or without bone, broiled, skin not eaten
1 PowerBar, Peanut Butter
2 tbsp Peanut butter, reduced sodium
1 cup Pasta, corn, cooked
3 Chewy, PB and Chocolate
1.5 serving Cytosport Cytogainer, Chocolate Malt, in milk

Totals: 3515 Calories 81 Fat 434 Carbs 264 Proteins
21% 48% 31%
(From Fitday.com, so sorry about all the jumbled nonsense after the foods)

This is on workout days. What all should I change? Just up the calories?

I'm 19, 5'10", and 135 lbs. I'm doing Bill Star's 5x5 program for the next 6 weeks or so and will change according to if i see any gains in weight or strength.

bearmeat

Awards
  • Established
Are you asking whether or not the food is healthy or are you not gaining from 3500kcals? If you're 135 not gaining with 3500kcals that is insane.

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Another point I want to make is that a good chunk of your protein intake is from plant sources, which do not allow for all the amino acids you want. A lot of times, people don't count protein obtained from plants sources (think of it as "bonus protein"). In other words, only count proteins from meat, eggs, fish, and dairy sources.

lazerss9

Awards
im def an ecto. im asking if the food choice is ok, but i just started the 3500 cals, so i dont no if im growing or not yet.

Another point I want to make is that a good chunk of your protein intake is from plant sources, which do not allow for all the amino acids you want. A lot of times, people don't count protein obtained from plants sources (think of it as "bonus protein"). In other words, only count proteins from meat, eggs, fish, and dairy sources.
im not following what you're saying. plant protein is good or bad? and what plant sources am i getting my protein from? my main sources are chicken, milk, eggs and the weight gainer, right?

side note: 2 mondays ago i hit the scales at 136 w/shoes and today i was 141 w/shoes. is that just the big uppage in carbs, or did i gain that much fat in 2 weeks? or is that the kind of thing where i am the judge on what i think it is(basically look in the mirror)?

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
im not following what you're saying. plant protein is good or bad? and what plant sources am i getting my protein from? my main sources are chicken, milk, eggs and the weight gainer, right?
Just looking at what you've got listed, and what your total protein intake is, there's a ton of protein in whole grain foods. Unfortunately the protein contained in those foods is what's called an "incomplete" protein. This means that it does not contain all of the essential amino acids. Essential aminos are necessary for the body to make proteins and hormones necessary for building muscle.

What I am saying is that if you subtract those proteins from your total of 264 (since these proteins are not enough to build muscle), you will probably be shaving about 50g of protein off your total; therefore, it might be a good idea to eat some extra eggs, milk, or meat.

nelix

Awards
  • Established
QUAKER does not pay tax, how does that make you feel?

lazerss9

Awards
well i drink around 32oz milk on w/o days, and i try to throw in a burger or steak whenever i can. should i try to do more than that?

and the quaker thing: didnt know that, and thats not right, but im obsessed w/their granola bars, so im not gonna stop buying their products.

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
well i drink around 32oz milk on w/o days, and i try to throw in a burger or steak whenever i can. should i try to do more than that?

and the quaker thing: didnt know that, and thats not right, but im obsessed w/their granola bars, so im not gonna stop buying their products.
I'd say to see how this pans out first, if you don't feel like you're seeing any results, throw in some more meat and dairy. I'm hesitant to come right out and say anything for sure because I'm an endomorph, so I my diet would go a little differently than yours.

srx600

srx600

Awards
  • Established
diet

What does your diet look like since you are an endomorph? I am the same type so I am looking to compare.

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
What does your diet look like since you are an endomorph? I am the same type so I am looking to compare.
I'm an early morning lifter....and I mean EARLY so chance are your diet scheme will differ slightly since most people like to train in the afternoon. As for me, I like to sleep in the afternoon :) Diet goes a little something like this:

4am pre-workout: 30g Waxy Maize, 5g BCAA's, creatine, and a little caffeine to get me going because it's 4 in the f*cking morning!
4:30am-5:30am workout: 10g BCAA's mixed in unsweetened iced tea (I don't need sugar, I'm sweet enough)
5:30am post-workout: 1 scoop of whey protein, 60g WMS, 5g Leucine
7:00am breakfast: 1 sweet potato, 6 egg whites, and some lean ham
10:00am morning 'snack': 1 1/2 cans of chunk lite tuna. Romaine Salad topped with nuts and a light vinaigrette dressing.
1:00 pm Lunch: 1 1/2 cans of tuna mixed with fat-free miracle whip, spicy mustard, oats, and maybe some other last minute ingredients (i.e. spicy peppers, shredded cheese, hot sauce, etc.) all mixed together to create a tuna-salad concoction.
4:00 pm After-Work Snack: 2 Tilapia filets grilled up on a hot skillet with some vegetables.
6:00pm Dinner: Chicken breast, or a lean cut of steak or pork and some more vegetables.
8:00pm nite-time snack: Big old bowl of cottage cheese and maybe a handful of nuts.

On non-lifting days, I tend to eat less carbs by taking out the pre/post workout carbs and the carbs at luchtime. Carb cycling is a little weird when you first start, but I find it helps keep me leaner.

lazerss9

Awards
side note: 2 mondays ago i hit the scales at 136 w/shoes and today i was 141 w/shoes. is that just the big uppage in carbs, or did i gain that much fat in 2 weeks? or is that the kind of thing where i am the judge on what i think it is(basically look in the mirror)?
nobody ever answered this question...any takers?

SteelEntity

SteelEntity

Awards
  • Established
You are an ectomorph trying to bulk up. Eat WHATEVER THE HELL YOU WANT TO. Now many people say the best way for ectos to bulk is to do it clean, and I'm sure that for some this is effective. However myself once being a skinny little fruit cake eating low fat foods did not work for me and alot of my peers in the same situation. I started to put on muscle when I ate Mcdonalds and all that greasy ****. Sure I put on some fat but a little fat is beneficial for muscle gains. Worry about losing that fat later and focus on a caloric surplus now. Once you get done with your bulk and want to shed that fat for the ladies :chick: your maintenance calories will be through the roof so cutting will be not so tough. That my 2 cents on it. What good is a 6 pack if your rib cage is popping out like a 10 yr old girl?

SteelEntity

SteelEntity

Awards
  • Established
probably both fat and muscle. A good indicator if you are putting on to much fat is just looking in the mirror and seeing how tight your pants fit. If you are naturally bulking and putting on more then 2 pounds a week then you are eating to much because they body cannot process more then 2lbs of muscle in week. by your pics you have a **** load of growing to do, if you eat and train right you can load muscle on at a fast pace. Plus nooby gains.

Oh and if your taking creatine then it's just water weight, all very normal. Keep at it.

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
You gotta be the judge of that one buddy. There's no way of us to say where 5lbs is coming from by just knowing its 5lbs.

Also, if you're not weighing yourself first thing in the morning, it could be none of the above (and just a stomach full of food).

Dagron

Dagron

Awards
Bump your protein content up. It doesn't matter how many grams of carbs and fats you eat, they can't build you new muscle if your protein intake is too low.

lazerss9

Awards
i figured it was a personal thing, but might as well ask, right? anyways, thanks for all the help guys

SteelEntity

SteelEntity

Awards
  • Established
get yourself some BCAA's (branched chain amino acids) as they are important in muscle growth and preventing muscle break down.

SteelEntity

SteelEntity

Awards
  • Established
yep. I take in around 2000mg daily

The essential branched chain amino acids (BCAA's) are of special importance for athletes because they are metabolized in the muscle, rather than in the liver. Here's how this works: After digestion once protein is broken down into individual amino acids these aminos can either be used to build new proteins or be burned as fuel to produce energy.

-quoted that from a source because I am to lazy to type. By build new proteins, that means build new muscle.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
yep. I take in around 2000mg daily

The essential branched chain amino acids (BCAA's) are of special importance for athletes because they are metabolized in the muscle, rather than in the liver. Here's how this works: After digestion once protein is broken down into individual amino acids these aminos can either be used to build new proteins or be burned as fuel to produce energy.

-quoted that from a source because I am to lazy to type. By build new proteins, that means build new muscle.
2g of BCAA is not going to do much, 20g on the other hand will help immensely.