help with first diet plan....

bandit9308

bandit9308

Board Supporter
Awards
this is the first time ive ever tried to actually get serious about how i eat. im 6' 240lbs...bout 18% bf.....really looking to put on lean muscle kinda lean bulk and lose some fat .....just came from the store.....bought: can tuna, whole grain whole wheat bread and tortillas, skinless boneless chicken, brocolli, red leafy lettuce, green beans, sweet potatoes, strawberries, apples, brown rice, skim milk and orange juice.......where do i go from here....i either work from 8:30a to 5:00p or 1:00p to 9:30p so work out times differ but no matter what i work out right after work.....also have a protein blend casein and whey that i can throw in also ..........thanx ahead of time

CallmeClark

Awards
  • Established
That's rough on the schedule man. First off, I would start by throwing that orange juice out. Especially if you're looking to lean out. Juice isn't the way to go. Try to incorporate 3 days of cardio into your workouts. Also, you'll wanna eat anywhere from 6-8 times a day if at all possible. Make sure that you stay plenty hydrated, 1 to 2 gallons of water a day. Go for filtered or spring water. Well, unless you just have awesome tap water. I'd write more, but time's at a premium at the moment. I'm sure that others will chime in. Good luck man.

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
yea try to be eating 6 times a day if you can.

Stick to tuna, chicken, eggs, lean meats, and the like for protein sources; w/w bread and bagels, oats, fiberouse veggies, and the like for good low gi carbohydrates; and flax, fish oil, nuts, and the like for healthy good monounsaturated fats

You first have to find your bmr and go from there. Loosing fat while putting on muscle is quite difficult but not impossible. Start out from your bmr and add 200-500 cals and see where to go from there.

Its alot of trial and error. Go to FitDay - Free Weight Loss and Diet Journal to track and plan out your diet. Right up a sample on and post it up so we can help ya out

best of luck

bandit9308

bandit9308

Board Supporter
Awards
yea try to be eating 6 times a day if you can.

Stick to tuna, chicken, eggs, lean meats, and the like for protein sources; w/w bread and bagels, oats, fiberouse veggies, and the like for good low gi carbohydrates; and flax, fish oil, nuts, and the like for healthy good monounsaturated fats

You first have to find your bmr and go from there. Loosing fat while putting on muscle is quite difficult but not impossible. Start out from your bmr and add 200-500 cals and see where to go from there.

Its alot of trial and error. Go to FitDay - Free Weight Loss and Diet Journal to track and plan out your diet. Right up a sample on and post it up so we can help ya out

best of luck
thank ya ill take a look at that....

littlemack

Awards
Wow Bandit. You look really good from your photo! If it were me, I'd want to focus on getting that bodyfat down to 10%-13% first. I'd consider two types of diets. Either a lean mass gain diet (where you gain lean mass with a minor amount of fatloss) or a fatloss diet(where you shed about 1-2lbs of fat per week and retain the lean mass). Another successfull thing that can be done is to cycle these two diets every two weeks. Regardless, lets see if we can get some fat off. PM me if you want some details about how to do this.
Cheers!
-Mack

bandit9308

bandit9308

Board Supporter
Awards
Wow Bandit. You look really good from your photo! If it were me, I'd want to focus on getting that bodyfat down to 10%-13% first. I'd consider two types of diets. Either a lean mass gain diet (where you gain lean mass with a minor amount of fatloss) or a fatloss diet(where you shed about 1-2lbs of fat per week and retain the lean mass). Another successfull thing that can be done is to cycle these two diets every two weeks. Regardless, lets see if we can get some fat off. PM me if you want some details about how to do this.
Cheers!
-Mack
for some reason it wont let me PM you....very interested in this though...have yahoo..bandit9308

Ziricote

Ziricote

Awards
  • Established
Can I suggest you do a search for carb cycling? A couple of guys here have had success with it.

CallmeClark

Awards
  • Established
I like to throw a carbup day in my cut every weekend. I'll go from 150g of carbs a day to 400-500g for one day, usually Saturdays. Carbin' up on clean food. Add a couple more potatoes, bread, oatmeal, stuff like that.

bandit9308

bandit9308

Board Supporter
Awards
Meal #1
Meal #1
OMELET, BREAKFAST CASSEROLE, or eat separately as desired:

5 ounces very lean meat

1 whole egg + 5 egg whites

½ Grapefruit, or 6 strawberries, or ½ cup omelet vegetables

Meal #2

Protein Drink Option #1: 2 scoops Muscle Provider, 1 TBS Flax Oil, 4 strawberries, 12 ounces water

OR: Protein Drink Option #2: 2 scoops Ultra Size + 1 teaspoon Flax Oil, 12 ounces water

OR: Whole Food Option:

6 ounces tuna (no oil) or 5 ounces white meat: chicken or turkey breast

1 whole egg + 3 egg whites

1 tomato or ½ cup vegetables

Meal #3
8 ounces very lean meat

4 cups salad (lettuce, tomato, carrot, cucumber, green peppers, etc.)

1 TBS unprocessed vegetable oil + vinegar and herbs/seasonings as desired for a dressing

(OR use 2 TBS Paul Newman’s Oil and Vinegar Dressing)

Meal #4
(same as for meal #2)

Meal #5
8 ounces very lean meat

2 cups vegetables or large salad

1 TBS Flax, Olive, or other unprocessed vegetable oil (or dressing – same as meal #3)

IMPORTANT – DO NOT SKIP – EAT ALL FOODS AS LISTED
Monday and Thursday: Add a 6th meal:

1.5 cups oatmeal (measured before cooking) or cooked rice

10 oz. sweet potato

4 oz. banana

1cup vegetables

1 TBS butter or oil

NO SUPPLEMENTS WITH THIS MEAL

bandit9308

bandit9308

Board Supporter
Awards
been away for a while but thats what lil mack laid out for me ...what could i replace the beverly products with since i cant afford that....tell u the truth im kinda lost need some frickin guidance....dont understand crap about nutrition ......read alot of forums but it allways seem to get to technical ...macros and blah blah blah..... i know i will get a lot of crap for saying this but prettry much tell me what to eat and i will...lol.....today i ate like this

breakfast
oat meal whey banana and peanut butter blended smoothie

meal #2
can chicken, water and almonds

meal#3
steak and sweet potatoes broccolli water
meal#4
same as meal 1
meal#5
chicken breast and brown rice broccolli pomagranite juice
meal#6
can chicken ,peanut butter sandwich on whole grain wheat

i have actually started doing cardio...and can see a big diff in my body ....didnt know it made that much of a diff ...im doing the MAX OT training bad ass stuff i must say and would like to thank AM for leading me to that....WANT MORE SIZE and i know my diet is whats killing me

Vicarious

Vicarious

Awards
  • Established
you have to look at portion in your current diet. I eat 6 to 8 times a day and if my portions on any meal is too much it just ruins the whole day for me. For a chubby italian like me its tough to push away from the table.

Take an hour or 2 and count out the calories you are ingesting. You may be shooting yourself in the foot...fyi, can chicken may have alot of salt in it which will make you look soft. I'm just guessing but at your size 3000-3500 cals might be good if you want to keep muscle and lose fat (at a slower rate). As long as youre doing your cardio.

I'm in the same boat as you. 5'8" 210 14.3% BF though i feel MUCH fatter than that and I want to lose the handles. I've been bulking since i was ....12..... so the idea of cutting and possibly losing muscle is terrifying.

I'm severly carb sensative. Any refined sugars and i gain pounds at a 1 to 3 rate it seems. Even low GI carbs put the pounds on. i'm pretty much screwed..

Just started HIIT training for cardio and I think I'll like it. pretty much just started this.cu..cu...cutting thing...

CallmeClark

Awards
  • Established
Meal 1:
1 cup cooked oatmeal (that's a 1/2 cup dry measure)
1 scoop whey protein in 8-10oz. skim milk
1 egg cooked in smart balance light

Meal 2:
1 South Beach Meal Replacement Bar (210 calories 19g protein)

Meal 3:
4oz. turkey breast (preferably the 99% fat-free kind)
1 cup brown rice (I like Success Boil-In-Bag)
1 piece of wheat bread (100% whole-grain, 100% whole-wheat)

Meal 4:
1/2 cup fat-free cottage cheese (Kroger actually makes a really good one.)

Meal 5 (Pre-Workout):
2 scoops of whey protein in water

Meal 6 (Post-Workout):
Don't be afraid to get a smoothie directly after working out (within the first 30 minutes) but, either way try to get this meal in asap after your workout. If you opt for the smoothie (which I recommend), you can wait a little longer for this meal if you're not starved.

4oz. chicken breast (again, they make a 99% fat-free chicken breast too if you can find it)
1 large baked potato plain (switch it up for a sweet potato whenever ya want.)
1 cup of cooked brocolli
1 biscuit of shredded wheat (Post Shredded Wheat)

Meal 7 (before bed):
1 cup of cooked oatmeal
1 apple
2 scoops of whey protein in water
1 cup brocolli

That's it for your eating. Make sure that you're taking fish oil and flaxseed oil. I would take these with lunch, pre-workout, and dinner. Take 3g of each everyday. Also, make sure that you have a good multivitamin. I like GNC Ultra-Mega Gold w/Iron. It works really well. You could also incorporate a fat burner for faster results. Lipo-6 is awesome. Make sure that you're taking between 1 and 2 gallons of water a day as well.

As far as diet goes, there ya have it man. Yes, I took into account that you're 240lbs. Those calories should work for ya. Let me know how your progress is going from week to week and I'll see if we need to tweak anything along the way. Good luck man. Let me know if ya have any questions.

CallmeClark

Awards
  • Established
Let me clarify something about that diet... That is a cutting diet. It will lean you out. It may not be a bad idea until you drop under 10% bodyfat anyway. You probably won't gain a lot of muscle on it. It really depends on your cardio schedule. Gaining muscle and losing fat is a hard task... Seeing as how you ideally need to run a caloric deficit to lose fat, and you ideally need to run a caloric surplus to gain muscle... well, you get the idea. Now, you can lose fat while sparing the majority of your muscle mass, and you can build muscle without gaining lots of fat too. But, you're gonna lose some muscle when losing fat, and you're gonna gain some fat while gaining muscle. It's just the way of it. Some folks are gifted I guess, or on steroids, and can build muscle while losing fat. You hear about it a lot. I'm not one of these people. But, I get by ;).

bandit9308

bandit9308

Board Supporter
Awards
Let me clarify something about that diet... That is a cutting diet. It will lean you out. It may not be a bad idea until you drop under 10% bodyfat anyway. You probably won't gain a lot of muscle on it. It really depends on your cardio schedule. Gaining muscle and losing fat is a hard task... Seeing as how you ideally need to run a caloric deficit to lose fat, and you ideally need to run a caloric surplus to gain muscle... well, you get the idea. Now, you can lose fat while sparing the majority of your muscle mass, and you can build muscle without gaining lots of fat too. But, you're gonna lose some muscle when losing fat, and you're gonna gain some fat while gaining muscle. It's just the way of it. Some folks are gifted I guess, or on steroids, and can build muscle while losing fat. You hear about it a lot. I'm not one of these people. But, I get by ;).
thats what im talkin bout just lay it out for me ...i bet alot of ppl are like u lazy bastard ...anyways im gonna kinda keep a log here on this diet we have here and post some before and after pics ....thanks and i will be bothering u for some more info.....lets get started

CallmeClark

Awards
  • Established
You're welcome Bandit. I'll be around to help ya out along the way.

bandit9308

bandit9308

Board Supporter
Awards
where can i get this smart balance llight stuff and the south beach bar do i have to order them

CallmeClark

Awards
  • Established
You can get both at Kroger, Wal-Mart, Publix, or pretty much any grocery store that carries namebrand product.

bandit9308

bandit9308

Board Supporter
Awards
ok the diet is going good really not sure howmuch my bodyfat dropped but it has ......and yeah i just figured out i hate cottage cheese man that ish is nasty.... ...how would i modify this diet to make it a clean bulker i figure if i up my cardio i could keep the fat low while adding some lean muscle ....thanks i really appreciate all the help ive gotten

bandit9308

bandit9308

Board Supporter
Awards
hey clark i appreciate all the help u have given me ..

CallmeClark

Awards
  • Established
You're welcome Bandit. It's no problem man. Let's see, a clean bulker... Once you get down to your target bodyfat % (which should be under 10%), we can start with this:

Meal 1:

1 cup oatmeal cooked
3 eggs
12oz. skim milk
1 scoop whey (you can put this in the milk if ya want)

Meal 2:

1 South Beach Meal Replacement Bar

Meal 3:

1 cup brown rice
4 pieces wheat bread
4oz. chicken breast

Meal 4:

1 cup fat-free cottage cheese
1 sweet potato

Meal 5 (pre-workout)

Meal Replacement Shake (12oz. skim milk, 1/2 cup dry oatmeal, 1 scoop whey protein, 1/2 medium banana, 1 tbsp. peanut butter. Blend it up with like 12oz. of ice, and voila. 550cal, 12.5g fat, 69g carbs, 43g protein.)

Meal 6 (post-workout):

1 Meal Replacement Shake/Smoothie at your gym immediately following your workout. Go for two scoops of protein.

Meal 7 (Dinner):

8oz. Extra-Lean Ground Beef
3 biscuits of Shredded Wheat
2 Sweet potatoes
2 cups brocolli

Meal 8 (before bed):

1 cup oatmeal (cooked)
1 apple
2 scoops whey protein in water
1 cup brocolli

Meal 9 (middle of the night):

1 scoop whey protein in water (this is optional, but I would recommend it. If you go to bed at 10:00, wake up around 2 and take this one. It'll help you to stay anabolic through the night.)

Make sure that you're supplementing a solid multivitamin (gnc ultra mega gold or something of the like), fish oil, flaxseed oil, and that you're getting a good source of BCAA's. I would take 1g of fish oil and 1g of flaxseed oil with meals 3, 5, and 6.

Also, go ahead and quit the cardio completely at this stage. We're starting off right around 4000 calories here, which isn't a whole lot for you. Cardio's just gonna work in reverse on your growth. So, cut it out for your bulk. Just be as intense as possible on your lifts. If you want, I'll post my leg routine for you, it'll help to keep you lean. Heh, and I hear ya on the cottage cheese. It sucks! lol

CallmeClark

Awards
  • Established
Let me know when you start so that we can track your growth at two week intervals. We may need to bump up your caloric intake in the first couple of weeks.

bandit9308

bandit9308

Board Supporter
Awards
down to 10% bodyfat damn.....i guess i have to stick to the cutter and wait on the bulker i figured since its winter time i could try to add some pounds and start cutting in jan or feb what do u think? im at 18% bodyfat as of today the cut diet is working great ......oh yeah post that leg workout would like to take a look at it ....ive been thinking of trying DC training but i dont want to try it while cutting

CallmeClark

Awards
  • Established
Ok, here's the leg routine. Sorry that I haven't gotten back to ya in a couple of days, it's been pretty wild over here. lol

Squat (20, 15, 10, 8, 6)
Hack Squat (4 full reps, 10 half reps, 4 full, 10 half) x3

Tri-Set (x2):
Seated Leg Curl (12)
Sissy Squat (12)
Leg Extension (12)

Walking Lunges (10 back and forth) x3

Superset (x2):
Hip Abductor/Adductor (20 on each)

Standing Calf Raises (12) x4
Donkey Calf Raises (12) x4

And there ya have it. This routine isn't for everyone... take it easy your first time in. Heh, you might be able to rock on through it your first time, I dunno. For me, it starts to wear on me about the time I get to the walking lunges. It's a killer workout. Keep it as heavy as ya can and give it hell.

TeamSavage

TeamSavage

Awards
  • Established
and yeah i just figured out i hate cottage cheese man that ish is nasty....
If you like Mexican food the cottage cheese is MUCH better if you spice it up a little with some jalapenos and/or salsa. It's even good in a pre-bed salad using the cottage cheese and salsa as the "dressing".

Cottage cheese is an awesome pre-bed source of protein (as its casein), so it's worth eating if you can find a way to down it.

Whey really isn't too great at bedtime because it spikes in just a couple hours.

CallmeClark

Awards
  • Established
Whey's not terrible before bed if you're getting up after sleeping for a few hours and taking another scoop. But yeah, casein is better before bed as it is processed slower.