not gaining

khan8

Banned
Awards
  • Established
i am currently eating 3200 cals a day and it has been about two weeks siunce i started and i havent gained weight, i am supposed to increase daily cal intake by 200 (while keeping protein and carb intake roughly the same) right?
of so what food item do you recommend i throw into one of my meals that it good for this?
thanks

Moyer

board observer
Awards
  • Established
i am currently eating 3200 cals a day and it has been about two weeks siunce i started and i havent gained weight, i am supposed to increase daily cal intake by 200 (while keeping protein and carb intake roughly the same) right?
of so what food item do you recommend i throw into one of my meals that it good for this?
thanks
You might wanna make your post easier to read. We also need more info. How much do you weigh? What's your diet like now?

Assuming you're getting enough protein (big assumption), you probably need more carbs. Good examples: Oats, Whole Grain Bread & Bagels, Beans(kidney, black, pinto, etc), Whole Grain Low Fat Tortillas, Barilla Plus Pasta, Sweet Potatoes, Bananas, other Whole Fruit, etc.

snakebyte05

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
As said above but we definatly need to know your diet, there are lots of good foods, but if you are getting them already its nice to add different stuff. For protein tuna and chicken and real good for that. Maybe look into adding some vegetables if you arent eating any now. Cottage cheese before bed is another good thing to add if you dont have already.

jjohn

jjohn

Awards
  • Established
2 weeks is not enough to say It does'nt work. Give yourself time. If you want help, maybe posting your diet could help..

Good luck

khan8

Banned
Awards
  • Established
ok sorry heres my diet for workout days:
WORKOUT days:
meal 1: (pre workout, i eat this right when i wake up)
whey protein with oats in water with banana
cals 382 pro 29 carbs 58

meal 2: (post workout)
whey protein with oats in water, banana:
cals 382 pro 29 carbs 58

meal 3: (post workout, after the shake)
8 oz (measured raw) tilapia, brown rice, almonds:
cals 528 pro 55 carbs 39

meal 4:
4 egg whites, 1 egg, 2 slices whole grain bread, 1 tablespoon natural peanut butter
cals 445 pro 41 carbs 27

meal 5: chicken with 1cup black beans and almonds
cals 430 pro 47 carbs 26

meal 6: 2 OZ spaghetti, 1 can tuna:
cals 360 pro 39 carbs 42

meal 7: chicken with 1 cup black beans and a banana
cals 382 pro 41 carbs 48

meal 8: (before bed)
whey and cottage cheese in water, almonds
cals 370 pro 42 carbs 15

jjohn

jjohn

Awards
  • Established
Pretty good. You just have to be patient. I am in the same situation as you, but keep at it, and you will wake up one morning: Wow, I AM big!

Dont stop, and give your 100%!

khan8

Banned
Awards
  • Established
and here is my diet for non workout days:
4 eggs whites, 1 egg, 2 slices whole grains bread, 1 tbs of natural peanut butter
cals 445 pro 41 carbs 27

chicken with brown rice and almonds:
cals 480 pro 44 carbs 39

whey/oats in water:
cals 270 pro 29 carbs 30

chicken with 1 cup (canned) black beans:
cals 370 pro 48 carbs 40

whey/oats in water with almonds:
cals 430 pro 35 carbs 36

2 OZ whole wheat angel hair with 1 can tuna:
cals 360 pro 39 carbs 42

chicken with 1 cup black beans and banana:
cals 482 pro 48 carbs 68

before bed whey/cottage cheese in water and almonds:
cals 370 pro 42 carbs 15

TOTAL (non workout days): calories: 3207
Protein: 326
carbs: 297

....im a 15 YR old male, 5 foot 11 inches, 150 pounds (im tall, lanky, and i have skinnie and long bone structure, if that matters)

thanks

JonesersRX7

JonesersRX7

Awards
  • Established
If you are at two weeks and haven't gained anything yet try bumping another 200 cals. And in regards to your other thread for stomach distention with those small meals, not sure how that is happening. You might want to add in more healthy fats if it seems you still are not gaining. Flax oil, olive oil, avacado, almonds, walnuts.

What is your training like now? How often and how much volume. Guys your age love to over do it so that's something to watch out for.

For only being 15 your diet is better then ALOT of guys 10 years your senior. I am impressed little tall dude.

PVSkyHigh

PVSkyHigh

Awards
  • Established
and here is my diet for non workout days:
4 eggs whites, 1 egg, 2 slices whole grains bread, 1 tbs of natural peanut butter
cals 445 pro 41 carbs 27

chicken with brown rice and almonds:
cals 480 pro 44 carbs 39

whey/oats in water:
cals 270 pro 29 carbs 30

chicken with 1 cup (canned) black beans:
cals 370 pro 48 carbs 40

whey/oats in water with almonds:
cals 430 pro 35 carbs 36

2 OZ whole wheat angel hair with 1 can tuna:
cals 360 pro 39 carbs 42

chicken with 1 cup black beans and banana:
cals 482 pro 48 carbs 68

before bed whey/cottage cheese in water and almonds:
cals 370 pro 42 carbs 15

TOTAL (non workout days): calories: 3207
Protein: 326
carbs: 297

....im a 15 YR old male, 5 foot 11 inches, 150 pounds (im tall, lanky, and i have skinnie and long bone structure, if that matters)

thanks

You need to be eating more carbs. I would say add another 100g a day in there, and post what your fat total is. You are young, and most likely your metabolismis through the roof. I used to be 5'10'' 130 lbs. in high school and I used to eat a lot. You may want to add more fat to your diet, don't flame me, I am just saying that if his metabolism is like mine was at that age, he can eat boat loads of fat and not gain any fat. With that in mind, post your fat stats, and most likely I would add another 100g of carbs and possible more fat to your diet.

khan8

Banned
Awards
  • Established
If you are at two weeks and haven't gained anything yet try bumping another 200 cals. And in regards to your other thread for stomach distention with those small meals, not sure how that is happening. You might want to add in more healthy fats if it seems you still are not gaining. Flax oil, olive oil, avacado, almonds, walnuts.

What is your training like now? How often and how much volume. Guys your age love to over do it so that's something to watch out for.

For only being 15 your diet is better then ALOT of guys 10 years your senior. I am impressed little tall dude.
oh ok thanks, what do you recommend i add to make a 200 cal increase? (i want to make it a carb source, since pvskyhigh recommends i increas carbs as well)

BTW about the stomach distention- i have had it for a while, even before i started a diet, but i am doing ab vacuums every day 3 sets though to fix this

thanks

khan8

Banned
Awards
  • Established
You need to be eating more carbs. I would say add another 100g a day in there, and post what your fat total is. You are young, and most likely your metabolismis through the roof. I used to be 5'10'' 130 lbs. in high school and I used to eat a lot. You may want to add more fat to your diet, don't flame me, I am just saying that if his metabolism is like mine was at that age, he can eat boat loads of fat and not gain any fat. With that in mind, post your fat stats, and most likely I would add another 100g of carbs and possible more fat to your diet.
100 grams of carbs?? i will increas my cal intake by 200, and i will make it a carbs source, so this isnt going to increas carbs by 100, but it will increase it as long as i make it a carbs source, sound good?

thanks

Ziricote

Ziricote

Awards
  • Established
You're taking in an assload of protein there bud, cut your protein intake by 100g and add more healthy fats.

khan8

Banned
Awards
  • Established
You're taking in an assload of protein there bud, cut your protein intake by 100g and add more healthy fats.
i am supposed to be getting 330 G's pro, someone from M and F boards figured it out with a BMI.

JonesersRX7

JonesersRX7

Awards
  • Established
i am supposed to be getting 330 G's pro, someone from M and F boards figured it out with a BMI.
That's 2.2 grams per pound of body weight. PV gave a good sugestion with the carbs. Try bumping them and see how it works out. If that doesn't go, add the healthy fats I gave you.

Ziricote

Ziricote

Awards
  • Established
Dude, BMI is the last thing you want to be using to measure yourself, it only works on certain groups of people.

For protein intake you want around 1.25-1.5g of protein per lb bodyweight.

khan8

Banned
Awards
  • Established
will it be bad if i keep protein intake the same?

and for bumping up carbs, does anyone know what food item i can add to bump my diet by 100 G carbs and 200 cals??

JonesersRX7

JonesersRX7

Awards
  • Established
will it be bad if i keep protein intake the same?

and for bumping up carbs, does anyone know what food item i can add to bump my diet by 100 G carbs and 200 cals??
Just spread it out through your other meals... instead of 1 cup of oats... go 1.25.. or whatever it takes to get 200 extra through out the day.... same with brown rice.

Ziricote

Ziricote

Awards
  • Established
You might get more fat gain than necessary, it's the same with any foods if you take them in excess. As for a food to up your carbs, oats are great for it, it depends on the brand/kind of oats you buy but in general 100g of oats = 60g carbs, which is 240kcal.

khan8

Banned
Awards
  • Established
ok so ill add in more oats, and how do you recommned dowing the pro intake?

Moyer

board observer
Awards
  • Established
Like these guys said, I would lower your protein intake about 100g, and raise your carb intake 150g.

Basically everyone gains fine with 1g of protein per lb of bodyweight. Most like to get around 1.5 just to be sure. IMO, you don't need 2.2 unless you're cutting. With your current diet, much of your protein is being converted by your body into glucose(sugar) to be burned as fuel. You're not eating enough carbs so you're making your body do all the work. That's good when you're cutting, but it sucks for trying to pack on mass.

Hell, most 15yr olds gain great on like .6g/lb, all coming from Doritos :)

Your stomach will probably feel a lot better w/ less protein and more carbs too.

I personally don't think you need to raise your fats. You've already got peanut butter and 2 servings of almonds. You're also 15 though, so adding a little more probably won't make you fat.

Moyer

board observer
Awards
  • Established
Workout days:

You can cut down on your portions of protein in meals 4-8. If that's too complicated, just cut out one of those meals and add in those carbs somewhere else.

Add more oats to meals 1 & 2 (and some skim milk if you want).

Definately more carbs in meals 3-5. Either simply more rice, or could add some beans/peas and corn to the rice, piece or two of whole grain bread, etc.

Personally, when I'm bulking, I never eat more protein than carbs in any given meal except maybe the one before bed.

khan8

Banned
Awards
  • Established
damnit i cant find the nutrition facts for merita country whole grains bread:mad:

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Whoa, whoa, whoa.

Protein is the hardest macro to be turned to fat.

I have no issues keeping your protein levels where they are - provided you are drinking an AZZLOAD of water.
It's probably a good idea.

Try adding some Peanut butter.
Carbs could be from whole grain bagels or bread or english muffins.

khan8

Banned
Awards
  • Established
well lets just get some more opinions in here...
thanks for the input

khan8

Banned
Awards
  • Established
oh ok thanks so ill keep everything the same and just add 200 cals and 100 carbs thank you

CHAPS

Awards
  • Established
I'd just keep bumping up your calorie intact in small increments till you start to gain. And about stomach distention look into a good probiotic and digestive enzymes. Most have food allergy's that they don't even know of, for instance most ppl lact the digestive enzyme lactase so when they eat dairy they get bloated. So use my above suggestions, start doing planks (ab exercise, look it up if you don't know it), these will really hit your internal abdominals and also be consious of your breathing when working out, not breathing properly can cause your waist to enlarge.

PVSkyHigh

PVSkyHigh

Awards
  • Established
I'd just keep bumping up your calorie intact in small increments till you start to gain.
I definately agree with this, just add 200 calories at a time, and give yourself a couple weeks to see its effects, and if still nothing, add another 200 calories. I think brown rice is one of the best and easiest ways to add more carbs to your diet. I can eat 2 cups of brown rice no problem and I am stil hungry. By the way(BTW), 1gram of carbs=4 calories. Just thought you might want to know. Its the same for protein and 1g fat=9 calories.

Moyer

board observer
Awards
  • Established
He's 15yrs old, 150lbs, he wants to gain weight, he has stomach distension problems, and he hasn't said anything about being an endomorph(getting fat easily).

You guys really think he needs 330g of protein?

khan8

Banned
Awards
  • Established
alright so what do i do with the protein? it can be concluded so far that i increase my cal intake by 200 and add 200 G carbs as well with brown rice and oats.

Ziricote

Ziricote

Awards
  • Established
Lower your protein intake by around 100g imo, replacing the calories lost from protein with some extra healthy fats and carbs.

khan8

Banned
Awards
  • Established
ok thanks i will do that, what protein sources do you recommend i take out to repace with brown rice or oats?

BTW just want to make sure my diet is perfect cuz im starting to get pissed not gaining weight and 10 inch arms.

Ziricote

Ziricote

Awards
  • Established
Looking at the diet you posted earlier I'd say for your OFF day diet take out around 15g protein from means 1,3,4,5,6 and 7 each. For your ON day try to reduce protein in meals 4,5,6 and 7 by 10-15g each.

I'd help out with more specific instructions but I'm not 100% on what nutrition data the food you're using has. Don't worry about getting bigger, it'll come soon enough seeing as you've started at a good age.

khan8

Banned
Awards
  • Established
yea i still feel i started a little late with my diet and BSing around for too ong, i started in november just going through the damn motions.

but thanks for the tips i will sdo that, andf ill add brown rice or oats in place of the protein i taker away from each meal
thank you very much

khan8

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Don't worry about getting bigger, it'll come soon enough seeing as you've started at a good age.
yea but diet is what it takes for me to get bigger along with a good split...im an extreme ectomorph

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
330 g of protein is a bit high.

I think 275 or so would be best.

He'll have stomach distention issues with eating large amounts (at least initially) no matter the macronutrient breakdown. I went through it on Bobo's program.

khan8

Banned
Awards
  • Established
damnit i took out the protein and replaced it with carbs and counted it up and it comes to 2550 cals this is frustrating

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Uh - go back with the protein then like I wanted???

Maybe you should just eat for a few days, log it, and see what it comes out as on fitday.com

Then you can adjust from there without killing yourself.

Wandy

Wandy

Awards
330 g of protein is a bit high.

I think 275 or so would be best.

He'll have stomach distention issues with eating large amounts (at least initially) no matter the macronutrient breakdown. I went through it on Bobo's program.
even that is an enormous amount of protein... i dont know where you guys get your information from, but that is overdosing the protein by more than double... anyone with experience in strength training (which is what he should be doing) will tell you it is 1.5 grams of protein PER KG of bodyweight. i agree to a high dose of carbs, but even that shouldn't be more than double the amount of protein.

he has a thinner than average frame and from the sounds of it, a very low bf %. the last thing he needs to do is take anything near 300 g of protein before he ups his calories.

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
The explain why Bobo had me on 300 grams a day at 170 lbs???

PVSkyHigh

PVSkyHigh

Awards
  • Established
225g of protein is perfect, you need to add more carbs and some healthy fats.

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
He's hella smarter than the rest of us Moyer - good enough for me.

Moyer

board observer
Awards
  • Established
You and khan8 are different people with different goals.

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Alright.

I still think he needs 250+ grams of protein.

mixedup

mixedup

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
UMM i didnt' see this asked but before worrying about what to add and what to take out shouldn't we know what his maintenance is I mean he is at 3200 calories for some days my maintenance is above 3200 calories depending on cardio, activities if I spar or not etc.

Moyer

board observer
Awards
  • Established
The explain why Bobo had me on 300 grams a day at 170 lbs???
You are bulking, right?

Bobo has said before that the only reason he raises protein higher than like .8g/lb is for the thermic effect. When I read that, I assumed he meant for cutting. I really don't know why you would want a thermic effect when you're trying to gain weight. I would think you could just eat a little less or do a little more cardio to have the same effect (I might be missing something though).

Of course, Bobo's bulking programs are usually said to be VERY lean, so maybe that's why.

Moyer

board observer
Awards
  • Established
UMM i didnt' see this asked but before worrying about what to add and what to take out shouldn't we know what his maintenance is I mean he is at 3200 calories for some days my maintenance is above 3200 calories depending on cardio, activities if I spar or not etc.
I assume you're talking about an equation to figure his BMR, etc? IMO, those aren't that accurate, they're just a good starting point. He has just figured out that his maintenance is around 3200 (using his current macros), because his weight stayed the same for two weeks.

I actually gain pretty well on around 3400 cals and I'm 190lbs. I don't spar though, or do too much cardio, etc.

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, I was on a lean bulking program. No supplements - period.

khan8

Banned
Awards
  • Established
would it be ok to double my carbs sources in the first few meals (1.5 oats, double rice, etc)
when i do this, 200 cals are added..