not gaining

Page 3 of 8 First 12345 ... Last

  1. Quote Originally Posted by Moyer
    I assume you're talking about an equation to figure his BMR, etc? IMO, those aren't that accurate, they're just a good starting point. He has just figured out that his maintenance is around 3200 (using his current macros), because his weight stayed the same for two weeks.

    I actually gain pretty well on around 3400 cals and I'm 190lbs. I don't spar though, or do too much cardio, etc.
    Well when I do my maintenance and this could be wrong what I do is take by BMR add in all the calories I burned during the day then add on 500-750 calories total to my daily intake. So my caloric intake changes daily depending on how much I work out during the day Because if I am doing an MMA session I might burn 800-1000 calories more that day so to stay on the same amount each day wouldn't be as productive tolds bulking I thought. does this sound right?


  2. Yeah - if Bobo told me to jump off a bridge - I'd do it.

    :bb3:

    Thanks for the edjumacation B!
    •   
       


  3. Quote Originally Posted by jmh80
    Yeah - if Bobo told me to jump off a bridge - I'd do it.

    Thanks for the edjumacation B!

  4. i dont do cardio. jsut thought i'd clear that up.

  5. Quote Originally Posted by mixedup
    Well when I do my maintenance and this could be wrong what I do is take by BMR add in all the calories I burned during the day then add on 500-750 calories total to my daily intake. So my caloric intake changes daily depending on how much I work out during the day Because if I am doing an MMA session I might burn 800-1000 calories more that day so to stay on the same amount each day wouldn't be as productive tolds bulking I thought. does this sound right?
    Yes. Changing your calories based on how many you think you'll burn that day is a good idea IMO. Especially if you're doing things like MMA on only certain days.
    •   
       


  6. Quote Originally Posted by Bobo

    But what do I know, I'll just tell my next competitor to punch the bag a bit more and he'll be fine.


    jmh would have probably done it too

  7. Quote Originally Posted by Bobo
    If you are worried about gaining excess fat, just reduce your fat intake a bit and increase protein
    Basically, excess carbs will probably be stored as fat. There's a good chance though that excess protein will either be converted to glucose (if needed) or be excreted from the body. Correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bobo
    If you aren't worried about fat gain and want the highest possible "weight" gain and performance "gain" drop protein, increase fat intake. You can basically adjust your protein and fat intake for your specific goals.
    Is the performance gain from the body having another source of fuel during exercise? (the new source being more fat)?


  8. No, excess fat will be stored first above everything else because the steps to chemically convert dietary fat into stored triglycerides is less than anything else. That and the fact its 9 calories/gram. Carbs into fat is overstated by a mile. If your diet is balanced enough its not a problem.

    The body uses all sources at all times. I don't understand why people think it picks and chooses one. Only the ratios and amounts used based on energy requirements changes.
    For answers to board issues, read the Suggestion and News forum at the bottom of the main page.

  9. Quote Originally Posted by Bobo
    No, excess fat will be stored first above everything else because the steps to chemically convert dietary fat into stored triglycerides is less than anything else. That and the fact its 9 calories/gram. Carbs into fat is overstated by a mile. If your diet is balanced enough its not a problem.

    The body uses all sources at all times. I don't understand why people think it picks and chooses one. Only the ratios and amounts used based on energy requirements changes.
    I realize excess dietary fat will be stored first. I thought the body used all sources at all times, but you said the body would get a performance increase from increased fat intake, and I don't understand why that would happen(that's what confused me). My post above was just a guess, hence the question mark.

    What I'm really trying to figure out is why you think 2g pro/lb of BW is better than 1.5g/lb when you're bulking. If carbs turning to fat is overstated, then why not replace that extra protein with good carbs? I don't see why an increased thermic effect would be a good thing when you're bulking.

    I apologize if I'm being a pain in the ***. I just want to make sure I understand this. It seems a lot more important than most of the topics that are discussed here.

    I feel like the dummy at the front of the class asking simple questions, but at the same time I don't feel like many people here really understand this either.

  10. Because its a more efficient energy source than protein.

    I didn't say it was better, I said it was different for different goals. Increased thermic effect decreases the chance of excess calries being storied as fat. Some people want leaner gains and increases protein intake while keeping carbs and fats moderate will do this but you will take a hit in performamce because its a less efficient source of energy.

    Try it. Decrease you protein intake a bit and increase your carbs and fat a bit and you will hit PR's pretty easily.
    For answers to board issues, read the Suggestion and News forum at the bottom of the main page.

  11. ok is this better for non workout days (ill post workout days later):
    and here is my diet for non workout days:
    1.5 oats ½ cup egg whites, ½ whey, banana
    cals 457 pro 31 carbs 68

    chicken with 1 cup brown rice and almonds:
    cals 630 pro 48 carbs 72

    ½ scoop whey/1.5 oats in water:
    cals 285 pro 12 carbs 40
    chicken with 1 cup (canned) black beans:
    cals 370 pro 48 carbs 40

    1/2 whey/1.5 oats in water with almonds:
    cals 285 pro 12 carbs 40

    2 OZ whole wheat angel hair with 1 can tuna:
    cals 360 pro 39 carbs 42

    chicken with 1 cup rice:
    cals 470 pro 42 carbs 66

    before bed whey/cottage cheese in water and almonds:
    cals 370 pro 42 carbs 15

    TOTAL cals 3227
    pro 274
    carbs: 383

  12. Quote Originally Posted by Bobo
    Increased thermic effect decreases the chance of excess calories being storied as fat.
    The thermic effect prevents excess cals from being stored as fat simply because it burns some of those calories, right? Or is there another reason for this effect?

    Decrease you protein intake a bit and increase your carbs and fat a bit and you will hit PR's pretty easily.
    Cool stuff. I've never heard that before. I guess that's one reason why powerlifters tend to be less lean than bodybuilders.

  13. I think yes to your 1st question Moyer.

  14. That's the way I was leaning, but if that's the case, you could just lower your overall calories a bit to compensate. It seems like there must be somewhat of a nutrient partitioning effect, otherwise it would be pointless. I was hoping Bobo would reply, but he hasn't posted on the main boards for a few days.

  15. i have a question
    i just started skateboarding again and i skateboard ALOT every day and it is drianing and tiring like looong cardio basically, and i do it alot with friends so i dont have time to bring a set meal but is it ok to not count my macros but just to eat alot (what i think is enough) pasta, fruit, oats, chicken, etc each day? i would eat like 4-5 times a day

    if i bring set meals and eat them i dont think its worth it i dont even gain damn weight anyways, so is this ok to do ?

  16. You're likely to under eat if you start doing it that way but if it's what you want to do then go ahead.

  17. Quote Originally Posted by khan8
    i have a question
    i just started skateboarding again and i skateboard ALOT every day and it is drianing and tiring like looong cardio basically, and i do it alot with friends so i dont have time to bring a set meal but is it ok to not count my macros but just to eat alot (what i think is enough) pasta, fruit, oats, chicken, etc each day? i would eat like 4-5 times a day

    if i bring set meals and eat them i dont think its worth it i dont even gain damn weight anyways, so is this ok to do ?
    Bad attitude to have man. You WILL gain weight if you eat enough. That's all there is to it. Couldn't you just bring a shake with you in a cooler, in a backpack? Some homemade protein bars? A sandwich, light string cheese, walnuts in a baggie, banana, apple, prunes, etc?

    Like Ziricote said though, it's up to you.

  18. Its almsot a gurantee that you wont be eating enough to put on muscle. Added in to the intense cardio you are describing in skateboarding you will need so much more than in my opinion you could imagine (thats just based on this approach)

    I cant see you eating enough when you need to be eating that extra chicken breast even when you feel like if you take another bite you may pass out.

    Planning is well worth the results

  19. Quote Originally Posted by OCCFan023
    Its almsot a gurantee that you wont be eating enough to put on muscle. Added in to the intense cardio you are describing in skateboarding you will need so much more than in my opinion you could imagine (thats just based on this approach)

    I cant see you eating enough when you need to be eating that extra chicken breast even when you feel like if you take another bite you may pass out.

    Planning is well worth the results
    I agree completely.

  20. ok, then the days i go over to friends houses to skate (every day basically)
    i will take some snacks that add up to the macros of a meal

  21. Quote Originally Posted by PVSkyHigh
    You need to be eating more carbs. I would say add another 100g a day in there, and post what your fat total is. You are young, and most likely your metabolismis through the roof. I used to be 5'10'' 130 lbs. in high school and I used to eat a lot. You may want to add more fat to your diet, don't flame me, I am just saying that if his metabolism is like mine was at that age, he can eat boat loads of fat and not gain any fat. With that in mind, post your fat stats, and most likely I would add another 100g of carbs and possible more fat to your diet.

    :good post:

  22. wow this sucks.
    i lost 4 pounds this week (coincidentally the week where i started skateboarding and eating like three meals)
    anyways,
    if i go on my "bulking" diet, is it even worht it? i ask this because i skateboard for hours each day and i cant imagine how thqat doesnt burn muscle.
    does anyone have any tips to minimze the muscle i lose when i skateboard? and quitting skateboarding is not an option,


    thank you

  23. Eat more, a lot more. Around 500-1000kcal on top of your bulking diet will do I think if you're skateboarding everyday.

  24. Quote Originally Posted by khan8
    wow this sucks.
    i lost 4 pounds this week (coincidentally the week where i started skateboarding and eating like three meals)
    anyways,
    if i go on my "bulking" diet, is it even worht it? i ask this because i skateboard for hours each day and i cant imagine how thqat doesnt burn muscle.
    does anyone have any tips to minimze the muscle i lose when i skateboard? and quitting skateboarding is not an option,


    thank you

    dude you gotta find your BMR and your daily calorie expenditure.
    Calculate Daily Calories Burned

    use this and if the skateboarding is as intense as you say put moderate or very active. Once you find this you have to add on 500 cals to start with to put your body in a calorie excess. If it is as intense as you say then you are going to require alot of food and this can be hard. If you truely want to build muscle you have to find what you need and commit to it. Your body wont be burning muscle even while you skateboarding if you eat every 2-3 hours.

  25. whoa,! i have to eat 3600 cals a day!

    is it ok to eat my normal diet as above but add a conveniant weight gainer shake?

  26. Sure as long as it's not a gainer full of sugar, might be an idea to make your own using oats, whey and milk.

  27. If his main problem lies in eating the sheer volume of "clean" food required to meet his caloric needs wouldn't it be beneficial for him to focus on calorie dense foods?

    Ie: Add some thick peanut butter sandwiches, nuts, a big fat chicken breast salad with heavy olive oil vinegarette, etc... Hell, maybe even throw in a hamburger here and there.

    I realize getting all of his cals from clean food is optimal and I'm not saying to binge on fast food regularly, but at 15 he might just need to eat calories, one way or the other. With your age, body type, and activity level you might need to be hammering down 4500 cals a day before you start actually gaining weight. I know when I was 15 I got a hell of a lot stronger and ripped up, but never ate enough to actually gain any serious mass.

    Are you at least gaining strength? There is nothing wrong with being a strong, ripped up 160 pound 15 year old either bro. I'm sure the girls in your high school would agree.

  28. no im weak

  29. if i have to quit skating in order to gain weight (if thats the case)
    then would it be alright to eat 3100 which is my maintenance level and just build muscle slowly like that? i wouldnt have to worry about fat either. just need input.. thank you

  30. If I could go back and do it again - I would add more dirty foods at that age.

    I ate SUPER clean starting at like 14. I had great abs (sorta) - but NO MASS whatsoever.

    I think I was "shorting" myself by not getting enough saturated fats.
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Not gaining strength like I used to
    By Flaw in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 01-12-2010, 11:32 AM
  2. 5/3/1 and not gaining!!!
    By chuebner in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 12-12-2009, 02:02 PM
  3. not gaining anymore!
    By booya123 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10-11-2009, 05:58 PM
  4. Diet and training in check, but not gaining?
    By z28man in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-02-2004, 10:41 PM
  5. diet not gaining as i should
    By rich2342 in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 10-18-2004, 06:07 PM
Log in
Log in