not gaining

Page 3 of 6 First 12345 ... Last
  1. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    43.44%

Quote Originally Posted by PVSkyHigh
    You need to be eating more carbs. I would say add another 100g a day in there, and post what your fat total is. You are young, and most likely your metabolismis through the roof. I used to be 5'10'' 130 lbs. in high school and I used to eat a lot. You may want to add more fat to your diet, don't flame me, I am just saying that if his metabolism is like mine was at that age, he can eat boat loads of fat and not gain any fat. With that in mind, post your fat stats, and most likely I would add another 100g of carbs and possible more fat to your diet.

:good post:

2. Banned
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    56.57%

wow this sucks.
    i lost 4 pounds this week (coincidentally the week where i started skateboarding and eating like three meals)
    anyways,
    if i go on my "bulking" diet, is it even worht it? i ask this because i skateboard for hours each day and i cant imagine how thqat doesnt burn muscle.
    does anyone have any tips to minimze the muscle i lose when i skateboard? and quitting skateboarding is not an option,

thank you
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  187 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    37.8%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Eat more, a lot more. Around 500-1000kcal on top of your bulking diet will do I think if you're skateboarding everyday.
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    6'4"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    48.19%

Quote Originally Posted by khan8
    wow this sucks.
    i lost 4 pounds this week (coincidentally the week where i started skateboarding and eating like three meals)
    anyways,
    if i go on my "bulking" diet, is it even worht it? i ask this because i skateboard for hours each day and i cant imagine how thqat doesnt burn muscle.
    does anyone have any tips to minimze the muscle i lose when i skateboard? and quitting skateboarding is not an option,

thank you

dude you gotta find your BMR and your daily calorie expenditure.
    Calculate Daily Calories Burned

use this and if the skateboarding is as intense as you say put moderate or very active. Once you find this you have to add on 500 cals to start with to put your body in a calorie excess. If it is as intense as you say then you are going to require alot of food and this can be hard. If you truely want to build muscle you have to find what you need and commit to it. Your body wont be burning muscle even while you skateboarding if you eat every 2-3 hours.
  5. Banned
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    56.57%

whoa,! i have to eat 3600 cals a day!

is it ok to eat my normal diet as above but add a conveniant weight gainer shake?
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  187 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    37.8%

Sure as long as it's not a gainer full of sugar, might be an idea to make your own using oats, whey and milk.
  7. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  219 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    62.94%

If his main problem lies in eating the sheer volume of "clean" food required to meet his caloric needs wouldn't it be beneficial for him to focus on calorie dense foods?

Ie: Add some thick peanut butter sandwiches, nuts, a big fat chicken breast salad with heavy olive oil vinegarette, etc... Hell, maybe even throw in a hamburger here and there.

I realize getting all of his cals from clean food is optimal and I'm not saying to binge on fast food regularly, but at 15 he might just need to eat calories, one way or the other. With your age, body type, and activity level you might need to be hammering down 4500 cals a day before you start actually gaining weight. I know when I was 15 I got a hell of a lot stronger and ripped up, but never ate enough to actually gain any serious mass.

Are you at least gaining strength? There is nothing wrong with being a strong, ripped up 160 pound 15 year old either bro. I'm sure the girls in your high school would agree.
  8. Banned
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    56.57%

no im weak
  9. Banned
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    56.57%

if i have to quit skating in order to gain weight (if thats the case)
    then would it be alright to eat 3100 which is my maintenance level and just build muscle slowly like that? i wouldnt have to worry about fat either. just need input.. thank you
  10. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    88.41%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

If I could go back and do it again - I would add more dirty foods at that age.

I ate SUPER clean starting at like 14. I had great abs (sorta) - but NO MASS whatsoever.

I think I was "shorting" myself by not getting enough saturated fats.
  11. Registered User
    Stats
    6'4"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    48.19%

whoa,! i have to eat 3600 cals a day!

is it ok to eat my normal diet as above but add a conveniant weight gainer shake?

I like cytogainer by cytosport. Try muscle milk with some 1-2% milk. This can get pretty expensive so try making a weight gainer shake with pb, yogurt, milk, bananas, whey, or anything along those lines (hell even get some ice cream in there if you want.) Just make sure you have some protein and carbs
  12. board observer
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    69.06%

Man, if you like skating, don't give it up. IMO, life's too short to give up something you really enjoy to gain a couple pounds.

All you have to do is get more calories. Your diet's already better than pretty much every 15yr old ever. Have a big shake.

How many 15yr olds get fat while lifting hard three times a week or more? Huh? Maybe not zero, but it's pretty ****in close.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
  13. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    11.31%
    Achievements Posting Pro

It sounds like just not enough calories bro, like most here have said.

I bulk on 3200 calories and Im 5'9" 165lbs, and lift 4x/week and do cardio 2x/week. Youre 2" taller, more active, 15 y.o. and probably still growing. I would think that those 3600 cals would be about minimum for for you to bulk.
  14. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  219 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    62.94%

Quote Originally Posted by jmh80
    If I could go back and do it again - I would add more dirty foods at that age.

I ate SUPER clean starting at like 14. I had great abs (sorta) - but NO MASS whatsoever.

I think I was "shorting" myself by not getting enough saturated fats.

Glad to have someone agree with my post. Was a bit worried about getting flamed on this forum recommending eating burgers.

But yeah bud, you just need to eat everything in sight and work hard. Enjoy your metabolism and eat all those calorie dense foods. The strength and size WILL come.

Old school creatine mono did wonders for me when I was about 16-17. Gained about 30 lbs in a bit over a year, still had a sixer.

Oh yeh, and don't even think about stopping skating if you enjoy it that much. You're looking to gain muscle/strength, not get fat; the cardio won't hurt you, just keep eating.
  15. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  219 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    62.94%

What is your workout routine?

I skimmed through the thread and couldn't find it.
  16. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  187 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    37.8%

I think that's probably the best thing about being a teenager ; you can eat next to anything and still grow. Take advantage of that but try to keep some form of clean diet as a base.
  17. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    88.41%

YES @ Zircote.

EAT CRAPPY FOOD NOW! When you get above 25 - you have to be much, much more selective.

I'm with SHSU - eat EVERYTHING in site. Quit f*cking around with calories and just EAT!!!!
  18. Banned
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    56.57%

yea but i dont want to gain fat being skinny with fat would suck but thanks for the suggestion ill go for the stuff like exttra virgin olive oil (in my shake) almonds, etc
  19. Registered User
    Stats
    6'4"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    48.19%

you wont gain fat unless you eat complete crap and dont workout. Eat sensible and dude dont be afraid of getting fat, its a phobia that can cost you muscle. Just dont eat mcdonalds 3 times a day and chips and youll be fine.
  20. Banned
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    56.57%

i dont workout, i only lift weights which i think you are talking about cardio when you say that?
    but skateboarding all day can be considered cardio i guess.
    i NEVER eat mcdonalds ahh the worst food i will have is pizza or steak n shake but ill either feel bad afterwards or skateboard ha.
  21. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  219 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    62.94%

i dont workout, i only lift weights which i think you are talking about cardio when you say that?
    but skateboarding all day can be considered cardio i guess.
    i NEVER eat mcdonalds ahh the worst food i will have is pizza or steak n shake but ill either feel bad afterwards or skateboard ha.

I'm talking about lifting, not cardio.

What does your lifting routine look like.
  22. Banned
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    56.57%

monday- 4 working sets of squats (the bar) 3 sets iuncline leg press 3 sets standing leg curls
    3 sets seated leg curls
    calves soemtime but it pisses me off mostly because my feet slip and we dont even have standing calf raises machine.

wednesday- 3 sets standing EZ bar curls supersetted with 3 sets skull crushers
    3 sets standing supinating DB curls (both curled at same time)
    3 sets cable rope pushdowns
    CORE:
    3 sets crunches
    3 sets leg thingys (lie on floor or bench, hands under butt, raises legs until perpendic to floor, lower)
    3 sets side planks supresetted with the other side
    3 sets planks

friday 4 working sets deads (THEY HURT ERGGHHHH DAMNIT)
    4 sets bent over bb rows
    3 sets DB shrugs
    CORE:
    3 sets crunches
    3 sets leg thingys (lie on floor or bench, hands under butt, raises legs until perpendic to floor, lower)
    3 sets side planks supresetted with the other side
    3 sets planks
  23. Banned
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    56.57%

*my routine sucks because my rotator cuffs hurt DAMNIT)
  24. Banned
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    56.57%

once my rotator cuff heals (which will prolly be a long ass time) this will be my routine:

Monday:
    Squats 2 x 5
    Box squats 2 x 5
    Leg presses 1 x 20 (pick 1 of the squats + the leg presses)
    pull thrus 2 x 20reps video - http://www.midwestbarbell.com/videos...ullthrough.wmv
    good mornings 2 x 8reps
    heavy abs 2 x 20
    good girl machine 1 x 25 reps
    bad girl machine 1 x 25 reps
    Calves (your choice of exercise if you like) 2 x 10

Tuesday:
    Wide grip flat bench 2 x 6 (index fingers on the rings)
    hammer grip dbs 2 x 8-12 reps video - http://www.teamsniffy.com/videos/vid...%20presses.wmv
    tricep push downs 1-2 x 8-100reps. (yup 100)
    db side laterals 1-2 x 10reps light
    db front raises 1-2 x 10reps light
    pull-a-parts or rear delt machine 1-2 x 20reps

Thursday:
    Dead lifts (rotate variations each week, week one from the floor next week in a rack with bar below knee level) 2 x 5
    45 hypers 2 x 20reps
    glut ham raise if you have one at your gym 2x5 video = http://www.midwestbarbell.com/videos/ghrcompare.mpg
    heavy abs 2 x 20reps
    rows 2 x 4-8reps
    Reverse grip narrow grip pull downs 2 x 4-8reps
    Standing wide grip curls 2 x 8-12 reps (or your favorite curl here)
    hammer curls or reverse curls 2 x 8-12reps
  25. Banned
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    56.57%

edited
  26. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  219 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    62.94%

In no way am I trying to be rude, but you have to overhaul that routine majorly to pack on any muscle IMO. It's no wonder that you didn't/aren't gaining with your current lifting schedule.

I'm sure the other guys will have better advice than me on what you should do. But at 15 I was doing a 3 day split and it worked wonders.

Something like:

Day A:

Bench (dumbell or barbell or EVEN a machine, w/e feels best for the shoulder) 3x8-10
    Lat Pulls/Pull ups 3x8-10
    Military/Shoulder Press (if you can't b/c of shoulder, so some dumbell lateral raises, etc) 3x8-10
    Something for Bi's 2x8-10
    Something for Tri's (maybe dips/skullcrushers/etc) 2x8-10

Day B:

Squats 3x8-10
    Something for Hammstring 3x8-10
    Calve raises 3x8-10
    Abs - whatever you like

Day C - Either Start Over or take the day off then start over. You should probably take this day off.

IMO at 15 you have such short recovery time that you need to hit each muscle group 2-3 times a week. I gained 30lbs from 16-17 with that basic routine. Just eat alot.

Once you develop a good base of muscle to build off of you can tailor the routine to focus more heavily on one muscle group at a time. I think the routine I listed above would be great for the next 2-4 months, if not longer (until the gains start to taper off or you get really bored with it).

For now keep it simple, work out heavy, work out often, and eat a ton. You will grow. Creatine was GREAT for me at your age. Went from 150 to around 185 in about a year, and kept the sixer. Take advantage of the amazing recovery time that your 15 year old body will give you.

Oh yeh... and get at LEAST 8 hours of sleep a night.

And lay off the beer
  27. Banned
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    56.57%

yea but i have rotator cuff problems thats why my routine sucks.
    and your talking about my first routine sucking right?

thank you
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    65.74%

Pizza!!!!!!!!
  29. Banned
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    56.57%

Quote Originally Posted by dirtysouthmuscl
    Pizza!!!!!!!!
    occasionally like maybe every other day at most (lately ive been eating crappy)
  30. Banned
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    56.57%

which leads me to my next issue (sorry if i seem *****y)
    seriously, i physically cannot eat ANY chicken, beans, and some other foods (which i cant remember right now).
    anyways, when i was on this diet, i was choking them down with water (puking an average of every other day )
    so that is oart of the reason why i asked if i could eat what i think is enough because choking down 90 percent of my meals is ridiculous im not doing that and it takes like 3 glasses of water per meal so im BLOATEDDDDD.
    any suggestions to this problem? i think its important because you guys seem to stress diet alot (in a good way)

thank you!!!!

PS this week and last i have just been eating whatever is good like quiznos subs, pizza, egg/protein shakes, etc because i got sick of chocking crap down)
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    65.74%

In order to get big if thats what you want. Get some fat on . I read you diet and its really clean. Dont get me wrong thats great, but it takes so much longer to put on size and do it lean. Cycle eating S**** and gain weight for about 2mths then lean up and see where you stand. Play with your body shock it. Reboot it.
  32. Banned
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    56.57%

i meant get big as in muscle not fat i would hate be have extra body fat and be small at the same time, my friend is like that and it looks horrbile
  33. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    88.41%

Lift hard bro. And rest.
    You'll put on muscle with the fat.
  34. Banned
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    56.57%

so is it alright for me to eat stuff like quiznos subs, subway, baked lays, wheat thins, southwestern egg rolls from chilis, chicken crispers from chilis, and an occasion slice or two of pizza?
    or should i wait until my rotator cuff heals until i eat crappy?

thank you!
  35. Banned
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    56.57%

Quote Originally Posted by jmh80
    Lift hard bro. And rest.
    You'll put on muscle with the fat.
    so i will have fat but the muscle wont make it look as bad??
  36. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    88.69%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

the fat gain should be limited. durin ga bulk, i honestly don't think you should gain more than 2" on the waist or go any higher than 12%. JMO. I got fat bulking and its not worth it, lol.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    65.74%

Dude if you see any BB offseason youll see its not what you see in the mag. This is what you do set a goal date like Spring Break!!! Then 5mths out you pig out for 2mths workout like a freak!!!! then start to diet down and go to SB with 10 pounds more of muscle. Or you can do the opp, and end up on this board next summer still asking why cant you gain weight. And I never seen any bigger guy in the gym getting punked by some 145pound lean guy pushin 135 on the bench. At some point you must ask yourself HOW BAD DO I WANT IT!!!!
  38. Banned
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    56.57%

Quote Originally Posted by dirtysouthmuscl
    Dude if you see any BB offseason youll see its not what you see in the mag. This is what you do set a goal date like Spring Break!!! Then 5mths out you pig out for 2mths workout like a freak!!!! then start to diet down and go to SB with 10 pounds more of muscle. Or you can do the opp, and end up on this board next summer still asking why cant you gain weight. And I never seen any bigger guy in the gym getting punked by some 145pound lean guy pushin 135 on the bench. At some point you must ask yourself HOW BAD DO I WANT IT!!!!
    lol good points and 135 on bench is good.

so is that a yes to this question?
    so is it alright for me to eat stuff like quiznos subs, subway, baked lays, wheat thins, southwestern egg rolls from chilis, chicken crispers from chilis, and an occasion slice or two of pizza?
  39. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    88.41%

It's up to you on how much fat you want to gain. But the idea is to gain, then cut.

I'd wait until I started eating really badly. If you are impaired in the things you can do at the gym - wait.
  40. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  219 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    62.94%

I still think you need to do something different for your workout man...

Have you guys seen his routine? I don't think he's lifting enough to gain the mass he seeks. Keep in mind... he's FIFTEEN and he's still in his beginner gains stage. I think he needs to hit each muscle group at LEAST twice a week. Just my honest opinion.

There has to be something you can do, even with the injury, to improve your routine. Diet is a huge part of getting big, but you have to give your body the right stimulus to grow.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Not gaining strength like I used to
    By Flaw in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 01-12-2010, 11:32 AM
  2. 5/3/1 and not gaining!!!
    By chuebner in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 12-12-2009, 02:02 PM
  3. not gaining anymore!
    By booya123 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10-11-2009, 05:58 PM
  4. Diet and training in check, but not gaining?
    By z28man in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-02-2004, 10:41 PM
  5. diet not gaining as i should
    By rich2342 in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 10-18-2004, 06:07 PM