not gaining

Page 2 of 8 First 1234 ... Last

1. Lower your protein intake by around 100g imo, replacing the calories lost from protein with some extra healthy fats and carbs.

2. ok thanks i will do that, what protein sources do you recommend i take out to repace with brown rice or oats?

BTW just want to make sure my diet is perfect cuz im starting to get pissed not gaining weight and 10 inch arms.
    •   

3. Looking at the diet you posted earlier I'd say for your OFF day diet take out around 15g protein from means 1,3,4,5,6 and 7 each. For your ON day try to reduce protein in meals 4,5,6 and 7 by 10-15g each.

I'd help out with more specific instructions but I'm not 100% on what nutrition data the food you're using has. Don't worry about getting bigger, it'll come soon enough seeing as you've started at a good age.

4. yea i still feel i started a little late with my diet and BSing around for too ong, i started in november just going through the damn motions.

but thanks for the tips i will sdo that, andf ill add brown rice or oats in place of the protein i taker away from each meal
    thank you very much

5. Quote Originally Posted by Ziricote
    Don't worry about getting bigger, it'll come soon enough seeing as you've started at a good age.
    yea but diet is what it takes for me to get bigger along with a good split...im an extreme ectomorph
    •   

6. 330 g of protein is a bit high.

I think 275 or so would be best.

He'll have stomach distention issues with eating large amounts (at least initially) no matter the macronutrient breakdown. I went through it on Bobo's program.

7. damnit i took out the protein and replaced it with carbs and counted it up and it comes to 2550 cals this is frustrating

8. Uh - go back with the protein then like I wanted???

Maybe you should just eat for a few days, log it, and see what it comes out as on fitday.com

Then you can adjust from there without killing yourself.

9. Quote Originally Posted by jmh80
    330 g of protein is a bit high.

I think 275 or so would be best.

He'll have stomach distention issues with eating large amounts (at least initially) no matter the macronutrient breakdown. I went through it on Bobo's program.
    even that is an enormous amount of protein... i dont know where you guys get your information from, but that is overdosing the protein by more than double... anyone with experience in strength training (which is what he should be doing) will tell you it is 1.5 grams of protein PER KG of bodyweight. i agree to a high dose of carbs, but even that shouldn't be more than double the amount of protein.

he has a thinner than average frame and from the sounds of it, a very low bf %. the last thing he needs to do is take anything near 300 g of protein before he ups his calories.

10. The explain why Bobo had me on 300 grams a day at 170 lbs???

11. Quote Originally Posted by jmh80
    The explain why Bobo had me on 300 grams a day at 170 lbs???
    That's not a good argument man.

12. 225g of protein is perfect, you need to add more carbs and some healthy fats.

13. He's hella smarter than the rest of us Moyer - good enough for me.

14. You and khan8 are different people with different goals.

15. Alright.

I still think he needs 250+ grams of protein.

16. UMM i didnt' see this asked but before worrying about what to add and what to take out shouldn't we know what his maintenance is I mean he is at 3200 calories for some days my maintenance is above 3200 calories depending on cardio, activities if I spar or not etc.

17. Quote Originally Posted by jmh80
    You are bulking, right?

Bobo has said before that the only reason he raises protein higher than like .8g/lb is for the thermic effect. When I read that, I assumed he meant for cutting. I really don't know why you would want a thermic effect when you're trying to gain weight. I would think you could just eat a little less or do a little more cardio to have the same effect (I might be missing something though).

Of course, Bobo's bulking programs are usually said to be VERY lean, so maybe that's why.

18. Quote Originally Posted by mixedup
    UMM i didnt' see this asked but before worrying about what to add and what to take out shouldn't we know what his maintenance is I mean he is at 3200 calories for some days my maintenance is above 3200 calories depending on cardio, activities if I spar or not etc.
    I assume you're talking about an equation to figure his BMR, etc? IMO, those aren't that accurate, they're just a good starting point. He has just figured out that his maintenance is around 3200 (using his current macros), because his weight stayed the same for two weeks.

I actually gain pretty well on around 3400 cals and I'm 190lbs. I don't spar though, or do too much cardio, etc.

19. Yeah, I was on a lean bulking program. No supplements - period.

20. would it be ok to double my carbs sources in the first few meals (1.5 oats, double rice, etc)
    when i do this, 200 cals are added..

21. but only 45 carbs are gonna be added and my pro intake will stay the same, will this be ojk until i figure out how to take out the protein and replace it with carebes without losing cals?

22. Sounds good to me.

"Keep it simple, stupid" - KISS.

23. oh ok thank you ill do that then.

BTW is that you in your avatar? because maybe since your a ladie that might have something to do with your bulking macros.

24. Yes - that is me in my avatar....

Wanna feel my boobs?

25. Quote Originally Posted by jmh80
    lol.. do i even need to bother making the "jump off a bridge" analogy? no offense to any member of this forum or anything, but 300 grams of protein for a 150 or 170 lb person ---bulking, cutting or otherwise---is WAY too much protein. flame me if you'd like, but that is the reality of proper nutrition. if you want to bulk, up your protein by a small margin, and add lots of complex carbs and healthy calories. adding more protein isn't going to help you gain weight... it's going to help you be constipated.. so if your goal is to gain weight by preventing digested food from leaving your body, this is the perfect program for you.. lol. if you'd really like to help someone bulk, you can fedex me the extra 150 grams of protein you're wasting per day. just let me know.

26. Quote Originally Posted by Moyer
    You are bulking, right?

Bobo has said before that the only reason he raises protein higher than like .8g/lb is for the thermic effect. When I read that, I assumed he meant for cutting. I really don't know why you would want a thermic effect when you're trying to gain weight. I would think you could just eat a little less or do a little more cardio to have the same effect (I might be missing something though).

Of course, Bobo's bulking programs are usually said to be VERY lean, so maybe that's why.
    its simply a waste of money either way. there are far batter ways to cut than that. bike, jog, jump-rope, beat the crap out of a punching bag.. get off your lazy ass and stop eating so much.. friggin bodybuilders... lol

27. Quote Originally Posted by Wandy
    its simply a waste of money either way. there are far batter ways to cut than that. bike, jog, jump-rope, beat the crap out of a punching bag.. get off your lazy ass and stop eating so much.. friggin bodybuilders... lol
    Yeah, lets just drop calories while we lift 5x/week and perform cardio 4x/week as well.

When you start training bodybuilders and have to account for their goals, let me know.
    For answers to board issues, read the Suggestion and News forum at the bottom of the main page.

28. Quote Originally Posted by Wandy
    lol.. do i even need to bother making the "jump off a bridge" analogy? no offense to any member of this forum or anything, but 300 grams of protein for a 150 or 170 lb person ---bulking, cutting or otherwise---is WAY too much protein. flame me if you'd like, but that is the reality of proper nutrition. if you want to bulk, up your protein by a small margin, and add lots of complex carbs and healthy calories. adding more protein isn't going to help you gain weight... it's going to help you be constipated.. so if your goal is to gain weight by preventing digested food from leaving your body, this is the perfect program for you.. lol. if you'd really like to help someone bulk, you can fedex me the extra 150 grams of protein you're wasting per day. just let me know.
    1. There is no "proper nutrition". The science in itself is mainly a theoretical science in its infancy.

2. Excess protein would cause the opposite of constipation if the the sources are adequate.

3. Adding protein will help you gain weight simply because its calories. Gluconeogenesis and protein turnover rate is calculated mainly by energy requirements and most likely he will utilize his macro's properly as long as its balanced enough. Intake should be based on goal and bodytype, not outdated FDA guidelines.

4. If the food sources are from whole foods and the digestion and absorption is regulated naturally (as whole foods will do) then higher protein intake is fine. If the sources are liquified coming form fast absorbing protein sources then then it most likely won't be absorbed and everyone can tell due to the excess sulfur content in amino acids. The same can be said with fast absorbing carbohydrates as well so its not the macro that is the problems but the absorption rate is the food item. Stating high protein intake gets wasted simply because its high is ridiculous.
    For answers to board issues, read the Suggestion and News forum at the bottom of the main page.

29. Quote Originally Posted by khan8
    would it be ok to double my carbs sources in the first few meals (1.5 oats, double rice, etc)
    when i do this, 200 cals are added..

If you are worried about gaining excess fat, just reduce your fat intake a bit and increase protein (although 330g is quite high enough). If you aren't worried about fat gain and want the highest possible "weight" gain and performance "gain" drop protein, increase fat intake. You can basically adjust your protein and fat intake for your specific goals.

Most people that come to me mainly want the most LBM gains but least fat gain so that is why protein intake is higher. Cutting programs utilize higher protein intake because 99.9% want to keep what they have and drop the fat. You are already training 5x/week and cardio 4x/week so adding more cardio like some people suggest is foolish. Increase the thermic effect of your diet while utilizing cardio/weight training to the max while NOT becoming catabolic is the smart plan.

But what do I know, I'll just tell my next competitor to punch the bag a bit more and he'll be fine.

•   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Not gaining strength like I used to
    By Flaw in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 01-12-2010, 12:32 PM
  2. 5/3/1 and not gaining!!!
    By chuebner in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 12-12-2009, 03:02 PM
  3. not gaining anymore!
    By booya123 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10-11-2009, 06:58 PM
  4. Diet and training in check, but not gaining?
    By z28man in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-02-2004, 11:41 PM
  5. diet not gaining as i should
    By rich2342 in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 10-18-2004, 07:07 PM