What are your carb choices? Let's hear them

drejb

drejb

Awards
  • Established
Oct 1st means beginning of bulk season for me.

Attempting a slower bulk this year to minimize the fat gain. Strictly because my cut was a bitch this spring and I don't want to work as hard again haha.

What are your go-to carb choices? Mine are:

Sweet potato
Oats (in my shakes for convenience factor)
Brown long grain rice (dirt cheap)
Quinoa
Gluten free brown rice pasta (it has a great carb count without the bloat)

Curious to hear your carb choices when looking to gain size and minimize fat gain?

Cheers lads (and lasses)

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
Carb choice will have no influence on fat gain, all comes down to the surplus and your training for that

Really depends on the caloric total, I would generally say oats/rice/fruits/veggies

But if I was on a 3k+ calorie diet I might add in sugars or refined carbohydrates to make it easier.

drejb

drejb

Awards
  • Established
Carb choice will have no influence on fat gain, all comes down to the surplus and your training for that

Really depends on the caloric total, I would generally say oats/rice/fruits/veggies

But if I was on a 3k+ calorie diet I might add in sugars or refined carbohydrates to make it easier.
Ah the world of bodybuilding has changed. When I first started lifting 11 years ago. It was stay away from sugar and high GI carbs! Good to know.

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
Ah the world of bodybuilding has changed. When I first started lifting 11 years ago. It was stay away from sugar and high GI carbs! Good to know.
Ever evolving

Now you're likely to see a million kinds of carbohydrate manipulation strategies for physique results; from ketogenic dieting to carb cycling to carb back-loading...

Some schedule carbs only in meals pre and post workout.

Some schedule high GI carbs intentionally pre/intra/post, and low GI the rest of the day.

Lots going on the scene and easy to get lost in or distracted by.
Base principles are the same though.

Sticking to your macros and caloric total over each 24 hour period is all you really need big picture

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
So my answer to the original question is...

Whichever carbs you enjoy eating, and are satiating enough for your needs/goals

If they come with a bunch of micronutrients as well it is a win

drejb

drejb

Awards
  • Established
So my answer to the original question is...

Whichever carbs you enjoy eating, and are satiating enough for your needs/goals

If they come with a bunch of micronutrients as well it is a win
As an Italian that enjoys his pasta tremendously. I cannot tell you how much I appreciate this info.

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
^Eat all the pasta

It's maintainable as long as you're willing to use less oils, and maybe leaner cuts of meat (if you opt to eat it regularly)

I make sure I fit Pad Thai into my macros whenever I'm craving a big plate

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
For a lean bulk I like to keep my carbs as unprocessed as possible (oats, potatoes, rice, fruit). As Driven2lift said, the main determining factor in weight gain or fat gain is how much you push your calorie surplus above maintenance. I also find that using a GDA for higher carb meals while bulking can really help minimize fat gain and I feel that the carbs I eat are better utilized. Using a product like Slinmax during a lean bulk is a great way to reduce the bloated feeling I get from carbs, and it can help control blood sugar and deliver and store glycogen in the muscle.

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Pasta! I can eat yuge amounts of this. With butta. :)

Woody

Woody

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Sweet potatoes, berries, white rice, corn tortillas, pastas,

ManimalPatB

ManimalPatB

Awards
I am a HUGE potato fan (white ones, I hate sweet potatoes)

I like jasmine rice or yellow rice, mostly jasmine

Oats from time to time

Whole wheat or protein pasta.

Brown rice I am not a big fan of at all

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Farro!!!

Jebrook

Jebrook

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I am a HUGE potato fan (white ones, I hate sweet potatoes)

I like jasmine rice or yellow rice, mostly jasmine

Oats from time to time

Whole wheat or protein pasta.

Brown rice I am not a big fan of at all
Lol. I hate brown rice with a passion. I would rather eat styrofoam peanuts than that;).

ManimalPatB

ManimalPatB

Awards
Lol. I hate brown rice with a passion. I would rather eat styrofoam peanuts than that;).
Thank you!!!!!! People think I am crazy but Brown rice is pure garbage. It tastes like crap and does nothing for you

Mmmmmmmmm styrofoam

bigsmall

Banned
Awards
Squash (especially butternut) and sweet potato consistently work much better than any other carbs for some reason. I have been using quinoa mixed with protein powder a couple times a day for a quick 'to go' meal.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Oct 1st means beginning of bulk season for me.

Attempting a slower bulk this year to minimize the fat gain. Strictly because my cut was a bitch this spring and I don't want to work as hard again haha.

What are your go-to carb choices? Mine are:

Sweet potato
Oats (in my shakes for convenience factor)
Brown long grain rice (dirt cheap)
Quinoa
Gluten free brown rice pasta (it has a great carb count without the bloat)

Curious to hear your carb choices when looking to gain size and minimize fat gain?

Cheers lads (and lasses)
Rice for me is my best lean bulk carb source. for whatever reason white jasmine rice will give me the extra carbs I need to fill out, increase energy, size, strength etc without gaining any fat, i'll even look leaner.

otherwise when I'm just carbing:

sweet potatoes (mashed!)
bagels / bread
whole wheat pasta
or a carb supp drink pre/post workout.

Brandinooooo

Brandinooooo

Awards
  • Established
Protein pasta is my go-to. 17g of protein per serving.

reboundclown

Awards
I am also a big fan of the very healthy sweet potato. I do it a little different though. I bake a small to med one for four minutes then cut lengthwise and add about three tbl spoons of almond butter. I like to top it off with pepitos to add a little crunch. I like to roll them up in tin foil and take them with me like a energy bar. Much cheaper and better for you.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I am also a big fan of the very healthy sweet potato. I do it a little different though. I bake a small to med one for four minutes then cut lengthwise and add about three tbl spoons of almond butter. I like to top it off with pepitos to add a little crunch. I like to roll them up in tin foil and take them with me like a energy bar. Much cheaper and better for you.
we had some kinda like this and they turned out like jojos or giant french fries. so good.

hsk

Awards
  • Established
Sweet Potatoes (Beauregard Yams)
Purple Sweet Potatoes (Japanese/Okinowan)
Organic Quinoa
White Basmati Rice
Oats
Squash (Acorn, Butternut, Kabocha, Chayote)
Beans (Black, Black Eye Peas, Chick Peas, Lentils)

double s

double s

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
For me, it's adding a nice big banana to my PES Select Shakes....

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
For me, it's adding a nice big banana to my PES Select Shakes....
& honey + PB

Over-ripe I hope?
So good in chocolate peanut butter cup

ericos_bob

Awards
  • Established
Lentils just coz it hasn't been mentioned. Not the tastiest but fibrous and keep you going. I have to say oats are my number one go to if I need sustained energy for the day and very flexible. Can blend them in shakes, enjoy them as museli or cook them up and and they taste great.

Bmac63095

Bmac63095

Awards
Yams
Sweeeeeet potatoes
Oats. Lots of them
Dextrose post workout

IronOutlaw

IronOutlaw

Awards
Raw oats! Wheat pasta! Sweet potatoes! Brown rice! Legumes (beans)! Any type of nut! (Get out the gutter) I love carbs

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
All the cho

I don't discriminate

As of late it's been; wraps, basmati, honey, jelly, Oat bread, fairlife chocolate milk, oats, black beans and dried lentils/peas

Stevenlinh1

Awards
Thông tin khá bổ Ã*ch, mong má»￾i ngÆ°á»￾i sẽ đóng góp nhiá»￾u hÆ¡n thông tin dạng nhÆ° thế nÃ*y để forum thêm phần Ä‘a dạng.

Tyvocules

Tyvocules

Awards
I'm going to take this list with me to the store :) I also dislike brown rice so I go with jasmine rice. It's 100x better in my opinion. That's the only thing I wanted to add

DUbz86

DUbz86

Awards
  • Established
Wheat bread, wheat tortillas, rice lots of rice! Oh yes and beans

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
still lots of jasmine rice for me. lots of it lately.

bigmacdaddy18

bigmacdaddy18

Awards
Oatmeal and baked potatoes. Rice bloats the heck out of me.

UnicornDrpns

UnicornDrpns

Awards
kashi cinnamon crunch cereal and carb smart tortillas

Eldthursar

Eldthursar

Awards
A 50lb sack of maltodextrin and a strong ability to supress my gag reflex when swallowing chunky fluids.

FreakyMuskels

Awards
I'm here in the south so naturally I've got some mad love for grits. And biscuits. And apple butter. Really any unhealthy southern breakfast food actually lol.
Grits mixed with my oats...Because why not.

WawaCoffee

WawaCoffee

Awards
There's a restaraunt here on the east coast called Turning Point that makes the best pancakes I've ever had.

635768028973479999-turning-Point.JPG

Pinggolfee96

Awards
  • Established
If it's for preworkout it's these paired w/ ALOT of salt (crazy pump):
Sweet potato
Cereal
Toast and honey
Rice cakes

If it's when I'm bulking and need to get in easier calories that's not sweets lol and my carbs are at 400-500 + grams a day then overall my carbs are filled w/:

All forms of potatoes, beans, grains, baked chips, lots of fruit, sandwhiches, oatmeal, mashed potatoes sandwhiches w/ gravy lol (don't knock it til you try it��), "healthier" pizza......etc. usually not too strict when bulking. All the carbs��������

kev4330

Awards
What I love to do for carbs is use oat powder for my morning shakes, easy low GI carbs and don't have to bother with oatmeal.

Jflynny18

Jflynny18

Awards
My go to mega breakfast/post workout shake

2 satchel of Oats + 2 big spoons of Peanut butter + Strawberry protein + Bannna + Full fat cream + Milk

Post/pre

Sweet potatoes / chips
White rice
Patatoes