Running and gaining even possible?

Tugboat22

Tugboat22

Awards
Hey guys I'm new to this site. I've been training since school off and on. Ran a cycle when I was younger (too young in my opinion). This girl got me into running. It started out twice a week for cardio but I got bit. I'm running about 20 miles a week now I hate it so much that I love it. I still lift and train like I did usually after a run. My question is, can I still put muscle on while running as much as I have been. I've leaned out a bit but that's not what I'm going for. Any input is apreciated.

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
What is the goal your looking towards? Do you run strictly for fun or are you competitive? You calorie intake will ultimately determine literally everything. Yes it is possible to still gain muscle mass while running but it's not easy by any means

Tugboat22

Tugboat22

Awards
Strictly for fun. I couldn't run for **** before and I guess I don't like to be bad at things. So I pushed myself and saw results fast, which I guess is addicting. i feel like my glute and quad size has gotten smaller, that could be in my head. My diet is still for clean size. Six good meals a day. My goal is clean size and strength especially for winter I want to gain a few clean pounds.

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Just eat more to offset the running. You can definitely gain while still doing that just have to keep caloric intake in check.

CarneyFolk

CarneyFolk

Awards
Yes, absolutely you can. I'm an outdoor enthusiast living next to a state park and I do a lot of trail running. I've been averaging 15-20miles a week 6 1/2 to 8min mile pace for the past year. I was 149lbs Dec 15 2015. I'm now 171lbs 16% BF. Just finished a ArA/ABE cycle last week so I have some fat to lose. I'm also 31yrs old.

You need to use either myfitnesspal or some kind of calorie tracking app if you want to gain while running. It is tedious, but your probably eating less then you think and burning more then you think. You also need to track macros. I struggled to gain weight last year until I started taking 10g BCAA 30mins before my runs and using a calorie tracking app. I buy them in pure bulk powder. No additives. No flavors. And mix it with 16oz water and chug. Extremely bitter. But about 20% of the cost of flavored and colored BCAAs. $35 shipped to my door for 1000g. There are tons of articles on BCAAs and IF (intermittent fasted) training that talk about muscle preservation. I feel the BCAAs are the single most important supp that has allowed me to continue doing what I love while still gaining LBM and strength.

Tugboat22

Tugboat22

Awards
CarneyFolk thank you for your input man. I have a running app that I haven't utilized for calories burnt, only for distance and time if outside/ trail running. I don't plan on increasing intensity or distance from where I'm at now, but I never planned on running either so we'll see. I'm going to start tracking my intake a lot better, I have a feeling it's not as much as I think like you said.

Tugboat22

Tugboat22

Awards
I'm pretty unfamiliar to ArA stacks. Very unfamiliar actually how was it? What was your goals with that? Any sides? I'm going to do some looking into that now. Through my research and from knowledgable people I've been advised against doing another cycle including test as it could take a toll on the heart with too much cardio.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I'm pretty unfamiliar to ArA stacks. Very unfamiliar actually how was it? What was your goals with that? Any sides? I'm going to do some looking into that now. Through my research and from knowledgable people I've been advised against doing another cycle including test as it could take a toll on the heart with too much cardio.
Xgels and anabeta elite is my personal favorite natty stack. I've run it in all 3 scenarios (cut/recomp/bulk) with success. When bulking, I don't get any sides at all, just fullness and better pumps. Recomp I don't "feel" much different than a bulk, but if I have a lower cal day someone's the doms can be a bit stronger than average. On a cut, I notice increased doms and usually late in the run my joints get a little creaky. The pumps and fullness though even in a low carb cut are beyond impressive.

I ran this stack while I was training for a half marathon just a few months back and saw great recomp results. Weight stayed fairly steady, while body comp improved and strength stayed up.

gynopuff

Awards
I can tell you as an ectomorph that running and cardio while bulking or trying to add muscle is like tieing a rock to a sling shot

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
just watch frequency

ss-33.jpg

CarneyFolk

CarneyFolk

Awards
I can tell you as an ectomorph that running and cardio while bulking or trying to add muscle is like tieing a rock to a sling shot
99% of the time the word ectomorph is just an excuse that lazy people with a lack of personal discipline use. When someone can't get the results they want in a short time frame, they look for an external source to blame. It's like someone saying "Well, I did my best." And if you've ever played on a winning team, then you know sometimes it takes more then your best. It requires a "Whatever it takes." mentality.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
99% of the time the word ectomorph is just an excuse that lazy people with a lack of personal discipline use. When someone can't get the results they want in a short time frame, they look for an external source to blame. It's like someone saying "Well, I did my best." And if you've ever played on a winning team, then you know sometimes it takes more then your best. It requires a "Whatever it takes." mentality.
100% of the time people who say 99% of X are speaking out of their ass

CarneyFolk

CarneyFolk

Awards
What's wrong, you don't like it when people remove excuses? Your for mediocrity, being average, and letting people fail?

gynopuff

Awards
I call bs on that buddy. I see fat a$@ guys barley eat crap and do fasted cardio and have an insane foundation of muscle underneath. I can also watch a black mesomorph work out for three months AND be lazy as hell with a crap diet and look like they can do a show. It's metabolism and genetics dude. I eat 4600 cal a day on rest days 5k on workout days with a great traning program with friend who follow my every move they get fat and pack on muscle I dont get fat and build very slow

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I call bs on that buddy. I see fat a$@ guys barley eat crap and do fasted cardio and have an insane foundation of muscle underneath. I can also watch a black mesomorph work out for three months AND be lazy as hell with a crap diet and look like they can do a show. It's metabolism and genetics dude. I eat 4600 cal a day on rest days 5k on workout days with a great traning program with friend who follow my every move they get fat and pack on muscle I dont get fat and build very slow
Did you really need to play a race card on that? Smh

Tugboat22

Tugboat22

Awards
I've got friends who through genetics or whatever, eat pizza and beer and have 8 packs and muscles. They are lucky as F I guess. I have to work to put on good size. Not as hard as some people do but i don't just do a few push ups and blow up. All I wanted was for some like minded feedback.

CarneyFolk

CarneyFolk

Awards
Tug, my apologies in derailing the thread. Go read some of gynopuff responses in other threads and you'll understand why I said what I said.

gynopuff

Awards
Tug, my apologies in derailing the thread. Go read some of gynopuff responses in other threads and you'll understand why I said what I said.
I'm not lazy dude... but you dont know that so its pointless arguing

CarneyFolk

CarneyFolk

Awards
I'll try to keep this short while still being detail oriented.

The Good:
I had great results with the xgel(1.5g)/ABE stack. My ultimate goal was to gain strength. I put 40lbs on my bench. Went from 4x205 to 4x245. Wide grip pull-ups went from 10 to 14. Grip strength improved. Deadlift went from 12x225 to 12x255. Just to give you an idea I'm 5'8" and overall I gained 14lbs and 4% BF in 3 months. Started 158lbs finished 172. I'd say roughly 2lbs of that was water weight because over the last 2 weeks my weight has readjusted and I'm down to 170lbs.

I believe what contributed to these results was starting at a low body fat. At the end of April I started a cut for a buddies wedding. By the end of May I dropped to 155lbs at 11% BF from 160lbs. Just used caffeine, yohimbine HCL (.2mg/kg), fasted training, and IF. Life happened June and July gained 3lbs and ~2%BF.

Daily sups
6g Beta-alinine, 5g creatine, 5g taurine, 4g ALCAR, 15g-20g BCAAs, 200mg caffeine pwo. (And another 200-400 the rest of the day.), Multi, Vit c, 2000UI Vit D, ZMA

These have all been my base sups for about 10mos. A lot of these are split dosed. I also used omega3's, but stopped once I started my ABE/x-gel stack. Also added in 4Tbs soy lecithin for emulsifying purposes of the xgel.

I highly recommend you start by reading "The arachidonic acid help guide" if it's something your considering doing.

The bad:
ArA is an omega 6 systemic inflammatory. That means it can cause the inflammation of more then just your muscles. It can do it to your arteries as well. I'd have to find it again but there's a study that directly states this.

My BP was fine before the stack. Around 112/65. The week I stopped ArA and SL it was 147/75. 2 weeks later I'm still in the 135/69 range. I've been using Epic UL TD for the past week and eating beets with my breakfast daily. Added my omega 3's back in. Also taking 5g of ginger daily which is an anti inflammatory.

For the last month of the stack I could barely eat maintenance with out feeling uncomfortably full. Now, 2 weeks later, I'm still eating maintenance, a lot of them the same meals, and I'm always hungry. Even wake up with hunger pains in the morning some days.

The last month I was also short of breath during my runs and couldn't figure out why.

This is just my opinion, but I believe that ArA and SL may have messed with my lipids and/or arteries. I'll be getting blood work done next week for lipid profiles. Had a hormone panel done the last week I was taking the stack and everything came back normal.

Conclusion:
I liked the strength gains. If I can identify what caused the adverse side effects I would run it again. That may require me to run the xgels with GMS instead of SL (soy lecithin). But that won't happen for another 4-6 months.