Weightgainers or whey protein

zpalrangi13

zpalrangi13

Awards
Ok so I'm gonna stick to my clean bulk, just wondering what is more convenient, getting some whey protein or weight gainer????

koltink

koltink

Awards
  • Established
Id say get a blend and then add things such as oats, pb, and fruit to get more calories out of a protein shake. It will be much cheaper then a gainer and probably give you more micronutrients as well.

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
Get a good whey and add your own carbs/fats

Can be customized to exact macros, fresher, tastes better, less synthetic crap, better for you

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Get a good whey and add your own carbs/fats

Can be customized to exact macros, fresher, tastes better, less synthetic crap, better for you
This.

I've been drinking the same smoothie in the morning (well the base is the same, the whey flavor changes)

10oz cashew or almond milk
140g berries
10g coconut oil
85g baby spinach
200g FF Greek yogurt
1 scoop whey
12g Soy lecithin

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
This. I've been drinking the same smoothie in the morning (well the base is the same, the whey flavor changes) 10oz cashew or almond milk 140g berries 10g coconut oil 85g baby spinach 200g FF Greek yogurt 1 scoop whey 12g Soy lecithin
Berries are the bomb with flavour strength to cover any greens added in if you do so, this guy knows the strategy ;)

Thelux14

Awards
i just slam a weight gainer right after work out with a banana and that seems to keep my mass in check. i also used to be a fat guy so i cant go crazy with them but it keeps my muscle full and gives me good strength after work out.. love weight gainers.

Johnston

Johnston

Awards
100% make your own... weight gainers are at best overpriced and at worst little better than a McD's milkshake.

I do similar to Tyga and make my own every morning with whey protein, oats, greens powder, berries, chia seeds, almond milk and almond butter/coconut oil. Soooo much nicer and more nutrient dense than anything you could buy. I have one of those Nutri Ninja blenders too, which makes it super easy if you have any 'chunkier' ingredients, especially if you're in a rush and need to make something for the road. :)

paul56778

paul56778

Awards
  • Established
Cheaper and healthier to make your own:
a quality blended protein like PES select or Whey Protein Concentrate or Isolate.
500ml of whole milk
50-100g ground oatmeal
50g or Peanut / Almond / Pistachio / Cashew Butter. (P28 & Nuts 'n More high protein nut butters are also great.)

also if having post workout you could throw in some dextrose / maltodextrin or if money is not an issue cluster dextrin or vitargo.

When you make your own you can make adjustments to the ratio of protein to carbs and fat, which is fixed with weight gain products which are mostly dextrose based and will cause poor quality gains if you do not respond well to the excessive amounts of carbs.

eX1

Awards
I've really grown to like a good quality whey or blend and then just customize it.... raw honey,oats,berries,natty pb,etc etc etc....

BeastFitness

BeastFitness

Banned
Awards
I agree with the above…get whey and add in your own fruits and veggies to increase micro intake

BeastFitness

BeastFitness

Banned
Awards
Cheaper and Healthier, More Customization is always a plus
Exactly! how much weight gainers out there have servings of fruits, vegetables, and healthy fats? Not many

LovingtoLift

LovingtoLift

Banned
Awards
Scoop of high quality Whey
Two Tablespoons of peanut butter or Almond Butter (I prefer Almond butter but Peanut Butter is just fine.)
1/2 Cup of Blueberries
1 cup of Oats
1 Scoop Low Sugar Vanilla Ice Cream
1 1/2 Cups of 1 % Milk. If you don't want that, use unsweetened vanilla Almond Milk or Skim.

That's a great bulking shake!

TNlifting

TNlifting

Awards
  • Established
Definitely cheaper and healthier to make your own as others said, but I'll admit I've bought a tub or two of weight gainer before strictly for the convenience factor. Let's be honest making your own shake can be time consuming and if you are constantly on the run or a student like myself, I find them more suiting.

paul56778

paul56778

Awards
  • Established
Nut Butters make a great addition for bulking to get extra fat and proteins.

I use Almond Butter and Peanut Butter in bulk along with Pistachio Butter which is 5 times more expensive than PB and 2.5 times more than Almond Butter but tastes great!.

Matthew1237

Matthew1237

Awards
Lots of great advice in here - I think I bought weight gainer once when I was a teen lol - its a scam IMO

Chiefsnation23

Chiefsnation23

Awards
I've really grown to like a good quality whey or blend and then just customize it.... raw honey,oats,berries,natty pb,etc etc etc....
AGREED. pb is perfect and so easy to add.
get your remaining daily calories from food not a weight gainer imo. atleast your enjoying the extra cash your spending and not chugging it down.

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I tend to make my own whole food gainers, but I always have a bag of Mass Gainz handy as there are tons of times I wake up late and do not have time to cook or be creative.. I literally have 2 seconds to make something and chug FAST.

Comes in handy.. I always keep beef jerky as well on hand for times i am running around like crazy.

Mike