Any benefit to going keto on a bulk? And how about IF?

TrainPsycho

Awards
Greetings,

I personally like keto because carbs make me tired and hungry, and I like IF because it makes me mentally sharper and less hungry in the mornings. My training intensity and endurance were not compromised on keto, and my running endurance was improved.

Now that I want to go on a clean bulk,
I'm wondering if there are any positive/negative effects on body composition doing it with IF and/or keto.

Thanks!

Grayson

Grayson

Awards
  • Established
Greetings,

I personally like keto because carbs make me tired and hungry, and I like IF because it makes me mentally sharper and less hungry in the mornings. My training intensity and endurance were not compromised on keto, and my running endurance was improved.

Now that I want to go on a clean bulk,
I'm wondering if there are any positive/negative effects on body composition doing it with IF and/or keto.

Thanks!
I'm going to sound harsh and rude: you need carbs to grow. It's simple bio. You can try a tkd, and it might work, but don't expect much.

A hyper caloric diet of minimal fat, moderate protein and high carbs will be optimal for muscle growth.

TrainPsycho

Awards
Minimal fat?

I always feel miserable when I do this.

Abe Lincoln

Abe Lincoln

Awards
  • Established
If you can bulk on IF, all the power to you.. I can't eat that many calories in a short period of time.

Grayson

Grayson

Awards
  • Established
If you can bulk on IF, all the power to you.. I can't eat that many calories in a short period of time.
Same here. Only on ostarine can I pack it in, but normally I just get bloated and want to puke.

Fat cannot synthesize muscle. The hormonal environment caused by keto can, but that's very individualistic. You need to have full glycogen stores to be in an anabolic state, thus you must eat CHO. If your body notices low glycogen stores, it will remain catabolic, and any fat taken in will be stored as fat or burned as ketones.

Again, you'll just be spinning your wheels.

TrainPsycho

Awards
Jamie Lewis seems to be doing fine.
Is this because his massive protein intake results in a lot of gluconeogenesis?

Grayson

Grayson

Awards
  • Established
Jamie Lewis seems to be doing fine.
Is this because his massive protein intake results in a lot of gluconeogenesis?
Gluconeogenesis isn't very energy efficient.
I haven't read up on him or his diet so I cannot comment.

jaces

jaces

Awards
I. Thnk its posible , but the question is nt if its posible bt if its the best option?? I thnk carb cycling is a beter choice

Abe Lincoln

Abe Lincoln

Awards
  • Established
Last night I ate most my cals in one meal and it felt like death lol

Abe Lincoln

Abe Lincoln

Awards
  • Established
My appetite is ****ing massive. Norcodrene on a bulk.
Sounds horrible when you are cutting tho lol. I do have an appetite and can easily eat 2lbs of homemade Mac, but than it hits you 20minutes later, which at that time you hate yourself because you feel so bad lol.

jaces

jaces

Awards
Sounds horrible when you are cutting tho lol. I do have an appetite and can easily eat 2lbs of homemade Mac, but than it hits you 20minutes later, which at that time you hate yourself because you feel so bad lol.
Hahaha feling lazy and useless

TrainPsycho

Awards
Soms to conclude:

IF bulk: good.
Keto bulk: not. good enough

Rite?

Grayson

Grayson

Awards
  • Established
Id say hell yeah to that. Fasting occasionally while bulking, especially for 24hrs has many benefits.
Fasting increases AMPK = not good while trying to lean gain.

On the flip side, fasting for 12-16 hours re-sensitizes the body to amino acids.

Traditional hypercaloric environment with plenty of carbs and minimal fat is the way to go.

If you don't want to get fat while bulking, incorporate hiit.

Abe Lincoln

Abe Lincoln

Awards
  • Established
Fasting increases AMPK = not good while trying to lean gain. On the flip side, fasting for 12-16 hours re-sensitizes the body to amino acids. Traditional hypercaloric environment with plenty of carbs and minimal fat is the way to go. If you don't want to get fat while bulking, incorporate hiit.
I swore I read this book that included fasting and gains. It was by lyle mcdonald, I forget which book it was, but it has been a while. There is benefits and disadvantages of both eating and not eating, cutting and bulking, etc

iddc

iddc

Awards
I've done IF on a lean bulk before. Was pretty successful with minimal fat gain.

Been on IF (8/16) for over a year now.

I don't cut out carbs tho, I just place em around my workouts.

Grayson

Grayson

Awards
  • Established
I swore I read this book that included fasting and gains. It was by lyle mcdonald, I forget which book it was, but it has been a while. There is benefits and disadvantages of both eating and not eating, cutting and bulking, etc
I've read through most of his material/books. I don't think he does. Maybe Dan Duchane?

Swolbraham

Banned
Awards
Ever since I quit being a carbophobe I've made the best progress in the gym. Your body's preferred fuel source is glucose sooooo ya.

Also IF for bulking stinks IMO. Again IMO. Id rather have food in me prior to fuel my sessions but to each their own. IF for cutting was even eh, just not for me

Swolbraham

Banned
Awards
And my metabolism has never been better. Since dieting and reversing, 140 lbs, 9% BF ( up 4 lbs in 11 weeks) and at 2,700 kcals, 350C and loving life

Swolbraham

Banned
Awards
SFLP 2.0 worked so well for stubborn bf. I <3 Lyle for that

Grayson

Grayson

Awards
  • Established
SFLP 2.0 worked so well for stubborn bf. I <3 Lyle for that
Lyle is the man! And the ud2 concept is brilliant. I basically run a 14 day version of ud2, but in reverse. So ten days of anabolism and four days of catabolism. I'm gaining at the leanest I've ever been.

TrainPsycho

Awards
I'm also a stim addict. Yohimbine works better on an empty stomach, correct?

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You can do it keto. I've done it, it's not easy, but it's possible.

I'd advise doing. TKD style though bc, if not, training becomes difficult. I basically just did this for 4 weeks to regain insulin sensitivity and was still adding lean mass.

I did keto years ago with DC training and say excellent gains. I can't remember the amount of carbs but they were all intra. Started sipping on my drink about 30min pre and had massive refeeds on Saturday

Swolbraham

Banned
Awards
Any other way to keep my appetite down on a bulk?
Why would you wanna do that?

If you're worried about fat gain just keep your surplus moderate and train hard and you'll be fine my dude. You gotta accept a little bit of fat gain though

Grayson

Grayson

Awards
  • Established

If you're worried about fat gain just keep your surplus moderate and train hard and you'll be fine my dude. You gotta accept a little bit of fat gain though
Agreed.

The term anabolism pertains to all cells in the body, including fat and muscle. You won't get fat fat if you bulk correctly, and you can turn it into a recomp/lean gain, but you have to make due with the fact that you might gain some blubber.

If you see yourself gaining fat, cut the carbs for a few days, train heavy, do some hiit, then go back to bulking. This will reverse any "anabolic resistance" you might encounter.

jaces

jaces

Awards

Hit the nail on the head , dnt complicate thngs

TrainPsycho

Awards
I've been a little fat kid before.

The hunger irritates the hell out of me.
I could eat 1500 kcal over maintenance and still be hungry. I'm serious.

Grayson

Grayson

Awards
  • Established
I've been a little fat kid before.

The hunger irritates the hell out of me.
I could eat 1500 kcal over maintenance and still be hungry. I'm serious.
I used to be a chubby kid as well.

During my first bulk week (which was a few weeks ago), I went 5300kcal over my weekly limit. Shtuff happens. Just up the cardio and intensify the training.

Swolbraham

Banned
Awards
i used to be really fat too. i was 187 at 5'5" and dropped all the way down to 127 with diet and exercise and then surgery also made me lose whatever muscle i had but, just keep yourself busy and try not to think about. try eating more satiating foods as well, lots of veggies, fruits, oats, etc. high volume foods will be your best friends. liquid calories and an IIFYM style diet may not be.

lots of water keeps me fuller longer too i find

TrainPsycho

Awards
Gonna bump this with another question:

If dietary fat intake = 1g/kg,
(For hormone levels)

And protein intake is sufficient,
(1g/lb just to be safe)

Would it be more beneficial to fill the rest with extra protein or carbs?

I read a few articles that said protein is much harder to convert to bodyfat, and that gluconeogenesis is pretty much shut off when muscle glycogen is full.

jaces

jaces

Awards
Gonna bump this with another question:

If dietary fat intake = 1g/kg,
(For hormone levels)

And protein intake is sufficient,
(1g/lb just to be safe)

Would it be more beneficial to fill the rest with extra protein or carbs?

I read a few articles that said protein is much harder to convert to bodyfat, and that gluconeogenesis is pretty much shut off when muscle glycogen is full.
Lot of fat + lot of sugar = health problems and fat gain

Swolbraham

Banned
Awards
Just keep surprlus moderate and you wont gain a lot of fat if you train hard. Carbs are protein sparing and can drastically help most with performance.. But you can fill it as you please. I do high carb on days I workout and I lower carbs and raise protein on rest days.

iddc

iddc

Awards
^^this