Bulking Help, anything is appreciated

dmmcclair

dmmcclair

Awards
"Hire a teenager while they still know everything"

Suffice it to say, I've made little progress, made a lot of back slides and now I'm getting back into the throes of bulking. My question is this, how much do I need to eat?

Currently running Jim Wendler's BBB and my lifts are all going up exponentially. I'm doing the conditioning and the flexibility but the number on the scale isn't moving too much. I'm not so concerned with a 6 pack and veiny arms and shoulders. Just want to build an appreciable frame first. Ill worry about the cut later. Any advice?
Training is 4 days a week. Conditioning is run on those 4 days. I generally do low volume assistance work, no more than 3 sets on most at 10-12 reps. Usually just one assistance exercise follows the BBB setup. Love the program but need the mass.
Bench: 305
Deadlift: 400
Squat: 370
OH Press: 205

Seriously any help is appreciated, if you have questions ask. Thanks guys.

FromAus

Awards
I know I'm only just beginning but have you tried slower negatives or doing some forces reps at the end of your sets?

Or are you talking about nutrition??

dmmcclair

dmmcclair

Awards
Mainly focussing on nutrition now, don't know what I should be asking if I am asking the wrong question. I love the Olympic lifts but the low volume isn't really a mass gainer. I seriously need to know what I'm doing wrong

FromAus

Awards
Well for mass gain I love! To do drop sets, and forced reps, they really push you to the limit and see the results the next week on the strength gains you are making. But every body part is different, what are you looking to bulk up on, a certain muscle group,or put on more weight??

dmmcclair

dmmcclair

Awards
I'm 162.4 at 6' 1" so honestly, everything needs to be bulked. I've noticed that my back and thighs definitely bulk but my chest still needs a ton of work, as does everything else. I don't really want a cut, I really just want a thicker and larger frame. I don't care at all about a 6 pack and V cuts. They kind of disgust me. I just need the mass

FromAus

Awards
1 gm of protein per pound
2.5 gms of carbs per pound
0.4 gm of fat per pound

I just use that and work out the macros from there, then decide by like 6. So that's every two and a half hours I eat, that's my food anyway.

Have you tried to use dumbbells as much as possible in your work outs? Say if you're doing bench press, use dumbbells with a slower negative and forced reps, that and 8 hours of quality sleep a night minimum??

dmmcclair

dmmcclair

Awards
Sleep I have covered, nutrition is good, just apparently not enough, I gained 3 pounds in 6 days, that's a morning weigh in, and again as I said I don't care about a cut so the type I gain is of no concern provided I don't look like a slob when I'm done. I generally do way more fat than that though, is that a problem?

FromAus

Awards
Umm I haven't found it to be, but if I use fat, I use extra virgin olive oil. Or all natural peanut oil, but as long as you keep lifting while eating you would look like a slob, but if you do start to get a little out of shape, just do more cardio or abs you a week or two and tone that tummy back a little

dmmcclair

dmmcclair

Awards
Again I'm not really worried, I'd like to be 225, with my genes I'd be very surprised if I rise above like 12% bf. so as long as I stay at or under that then I'm fine. My biggest struggle is enough carbs, any good really high carb sources that aren't low or no protein and fat?

OHlympia

OHlympia

Awards
Karbolyn by EFX is a great addition for some extra carbs.

But there is nothing better than FOOD! EAT! One of the things I eat a lot of is Sweet Potatoes but I eat them RAW like an apple... NOT BAD! They taste like an apple and a carrot had a baby, plus a lot easier to prepare.

FromAus

Awards
Or a 1 cup of in cooked rice three times a day, but flavor it with some pasta sauce or something so it's not so bland, make sure to always switch them up, I really look forward to my rice :)

dmmcclair

dmmcclair

Awards
Update: are 4169 calories yesterday, weighed in this morning at 162 flat. Lost .4 pounds after consuming that much, WTF?!

OHlympia

OHlympia

Awards
One big thing you have to remember is its all about consistency. One day won't really change too much, it's about preparing meals in advance, always being prepared, and just stay consistent with your diet.

dmmcclair

dmmcclair

Awards
Okay thanks man, and last question and this may seem really stupid. I love carbs, they don't really fill me up too much and I love fats as well for the very same reason, is it good to just prepare a bunch of pasta, rice, ground beef or chicken and package them up into a couple thousand calorie meals for the day? It seems efficient just need to make sure pasta and rice are good?

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Okay thanks man, and last question and this may seem really stupid. I love carbs, they don't really fill me up too much and I love fats as well for the very same reason, is it good to just prepare a bunch of pasta, rice, ground beef or chicken and package them up into a couple thousand calorie meals for the day? It seems efficient just need to make sure pasta and rice are good?
Yes. If you want to bulk, cram food. I'm 5'9" and bulked on 4-4500cal. Whole foods. Whole milk. I ate everything. Also the difference between white rice and brown rice will not have an effect on your body composition. Don't deny yourself fats. Olive oil, peanut oil, peanut butter, dairy, avacado, you name it. 8-1g/lb of bw of grams of fat, 1g/lb of bw of grams of protein. Just eat. I eat a large dominos pizza with every single type of meat they have on it weekly. If you want, prepare your food like you said. I have 4lbs of meatloaf in the oven as we speak. That's tonight's dinner, tomorrow's breakfast and lunch. My easiest meal ever is just 80/20 ground beef cooked up and thrown into a bigass bowl of rice with some veggies and spices

I'd also recommend looking at the Periodization Bible template instead of BBB. It's...less boring, offers more variety, and you won't be doing deadlifts for a stupid amount of reps.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yes. If you want to bulk, cram food. I'm 5'9" and bulked on 4-4500cal. Whole foods. Whole milk. I ate everything. Also the difference between white rice and brown rice will not have an effect on your body composition. Don't deny yourself fats. Olive oil, peanut oil, peanut butter, dairy, avacado, you name it. 8-1g/lb of bw of grams of fat, 1g/lb of bw of grams of protein. Just eat. I eat a large dominos pizza with every single type of meat they have on it weekly. If you want, prepare your food like you said. I have 4lbs of meatloaf in the oven as we speak. That's tonight's dinner, tomorrow's breakfast and lunch. My easiest meal ever is just 80/20 ground beef cooked up and thrown into a bigass bowl of rice with some veggies and spices

I'd also recommend looking at the Periodization Bible template instead of BBB. It's...less boring, offers more variety, and you won't be doing deadlifts for a stupid amount of reps.
Beat me to it on all accounts. Only thing I would add is that running is not conditioning; conditioning drills/routines are not rhythmic like running. The easiest method for conditioning would be hill sprints since they don't require equipment like sled drags, Prowler pushes, etc.

dmmcclair

dmmcclair

Awards
My conditioning is hill sprints, and tire flips. I eat 225 pro/fat, and 400 g of carbs

dmmcclair

dmmcclair

Awards
Also I kind of enjoy BBB. If the PBible is better for a particular reason other than just less boring then ill consider switching, otherwise I'm kind of happy with BBB

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
My conditioning is hill sprints, and tire flips. I eat 225 pro/fat, and 400 g of carbs
You posted running as your conditioning.

Also I kind of enjoy BBB. If the PBible is better for a particular reason other than just less boring then ill consider switching, otherwise I'm kind of happy with BBB
You more or less already isolated the reason for your lack of adding size: not enough calories and a lack of progression/volume with the assistance lifts. BBB is by far my least recommended assistance template as it doesn't hit enough of the potential weaknesses in the kinetic chain. The primary lift isn't going to do much in terms of size as that's not the purpose of the lift; it is within the assistance lifts that hypertrophy can occur.

dmmcclair

dmmcclair

Awards
Rodja, I was inaccurate with my conditioning, yes I run hills, and when I'm not dead I do tire flips. As far as BBB being a bad template I will research the PBible. Also, how is 4169 cals not enough? My maintenance is at 2800

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
@Rodja, I was inaccurate with my conditioning, yes I run hills, and when I'm not dead I do tire flips. As far as BBB being a bad template I will research the PBible. Also, how is 4169 cals not enough? My maintenance is at 2800
If you're not gaining weight, then it's not enough. Simple as that.

PalmFist

PalmFist

Awards
Bro you need to eat more. If you're not getting bigger or gaining weight then you're absolutely not taking in enough. That is all

Sean and rodja already got you covered but I wanted to hear myself talk!

dmmcclair

dmmcclair

Awards
Weighed in this morning, did gain a little, like 2 points. Ill definitely up the calories

yowler99

yowler99

Awards
Strongman competitor here, I don't mean to toot my horn but I know plenty on building mass. Keep calorie intake high and keep eating. You can handle being full constantly. Eat protein shakes with macadamia nut oil with 1 cup of oatmeal per shake. I suggest eat at 3 times a day. 1 post workout and 2 later along with dinner. Eat plenty of healthy fats dude and also, for good carbs and protein, if you like bread, eat some Ezekiel bread every morning (4 slices) a morning with 6 whole eggs. Try incorporating these in ur diet :)

yowler99

yowler99

Awards
If u haven't heard of Ezekiel bread, look it up. Publix and all health food stores sell it. They are high in protein and low glycemic. 14g of carbs per slice and 5g protein. I suggest the flaxseed kind

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
If u haven't heard of Ezekiel bread, look it up. Publix and all health food stores sell it. They are high in protein and low glycemic. 14g of carbs per slice and 5g protein. I suggest the flaxseed kind
I tried the sesame and was like cardboard

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Cinnamon raisin is the way to go.

Or **** all that and devour potato bread because it tastes amazing.

AZMIDLYF

AZMIDLYF

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
cinnamon raisin toasted with some Kerrygold butter is the sh!t in my world...my cheat every day

yowler99

yowler99

Awards
I tried the sesame and was like cardboard
Oh yeah the sesame is kinda ehhh. Definitely a good choice for a bulking diet. The flaxseed one is pretty good. I think it tastes better and has more benefits

AZMIDLYF

AZMIDLYF

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Oh and by the way...eat more bubba. My son started Wendler in December weighing 198 and is tipping the scales right now at 230 on food alone.

yowler99

yowler99

Awards
Oh and by the way...eat more bubba. My son started Wendler in December weighing 198 and is tipping the scales right now at 230 on food alone.
Good tip. Eat way more is always the key

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
cinnamon raisin toasted with some Kerrygold butter is the sh!t in my world...my cheat every day
Kerrygold can make anything taste better. I eat that stuff by itself haha.

AZMIDLYF

AZMIDLYF

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
AZMIDLYF

AZMIDLYF

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

Defeatist41

Awards
Something that helped me gain was making my own weight gainer shake. Grind up oats, put in some peanut butter, olive oil, and some chocolate milk mix for flavor. An extra 700 calories in a drink. Then putting cheese on everything. An extra 100 calories here and there adds up.

SeanDublin

Awards
Hi man, just taught I'd add what worked for me, I always found it very hard to gain weight until I just doubled up on few things, one thing that really worked for me was a weight gainer shake personally mine consisted of
1. Weight gainer usn or serious mass
Peanut butter few scoop's
Mixed nuts
Olive oil
Some oats
Milk.

I would have that twice a day also I ate peanut butter jelly, bagels..
Steaks, fish , tuna , pizza, porridge, protein shake, sweet potato, rice, chicken, turkey.

Mostly clean but I kept that up for two months and now I'm 156 started at 137. 5 foot 8, age 20

So yeah a healthy dose of sweet potato's, rice and my own weight gain shake's is what really worked,

LivingStrongE

Awards
Mass gainers helped me out a ton! It helped me achieve my calorie goal for the day since I couldn't stuff in so much food. iForce Mass Gainz is great to hit your calories. I would mix a spoonful of peanut butter in it and mix it in. Just make sure you don't do such a sloppy bulk. I've done it (Ate a whole pie of pizza every 3 days, Burger King, McDonalds..etc) I lived on fast food for my bulk and mass gainers and protein shakes and I did gain a serious amount but when it came down time to cutting I had to suffer. Extra cardio to burn alot of BF % and had to do a complete 180 on my diet.

veaderko

veaderko

Awards
EAT is all I can say. and EAT some more. IF you want to get big you have to eat big. Get some protein that you really like. I am not big on the mass gainer protein powders unless you have an issue eating and most people dont. But if that is your thing do it! I am more for whey protein like iForce Protean. A couple scoops of that with some fruit and PB in a blender and BAM now you have a monster shake perfect for a quick postWO meal and then follow that up with a big whole food meal!

laneanders

laneanders

Awards
Almonds, Olive Oil, Eggs, Fruit, Vegetables, Greek Yogurt, Cottage Cheese, Whole Milk, Peanut Butter, MEAT and fish, and Protean. That's how it is done. Cram as many calories as possible in. I went from 160 to 250 eating as much as I could, but I could not have done it without protein supplementation. It might as well taste good so go with Protean.

dkgreene88

dkgreene88

Awards
  • Established
Whole milk, Peanut butter, eggs, almonds, and a solid mass gainer such as iForce Mass Gainz if you can find it!

dkgreene88

dkgreene88

Awards
  • Established
Or you could add some Protean shakes as your smaller meals throughout the day!

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I wish I had the problem of bulking. A lot of solid advice in here. Plain and simple though just eat.

SeanDublin

Awards
My first 3 months in the gym I went from 137 to 152 and in the last 2 months I only put on 4 or 5 pounds, I find it hard to eat any more clean calories, I eat steak,fish,egg's,tuna,protein shakes,peanut butter, sweet potato's rice and I can't eat anymore but I'm still not eating enough calories lol any easy way of doubling the calories without to much of a cost? My problem ain't consuming 3.5k calories a day, its affording it

vassille

Awards
Sleep I have covered, nutrition is good, just apparently not enough, I gained 3 pounds in 6 days, that's a morning weigh in, and again as I said I don't care about a cut so the type I gain is of no concern provided I don't look like a slob when I'm done. I generally do way more fat than that though, is that a problem?
If you just looking to bulk I usually drink a quart of whole milk and 1 lb of beef a day. Other meals are chicken and rice, eggs with patatoes and fruit..plus whatever else you can shove in there like another meal if you still hungry. Another meal can be a protein shake with maltodextrin..nice easy and easily digestable. If you get fat cut back a bit if not keep eating.

vassille

Awards
My first 3 months in the gym I went from 137 to 152 and in the last 2 months I only put on 4 or 5 pounds, I find it hard to eat any more clean calories, I eat steak,fish,egg's,tuna,protein shakes,peanut butter, sweet potato's rice and I can't eat anymore but I'm still not eating enough calories lol any easy way of doubling the calories without to much of a cost? My problem ain't consuming 3.5k calories a day, its affording it
whole milk if you can drink it. You can also add stuff to it to make more caloric. Pretty cheap