Is 200g protein enough?

Page 4 of 7 First ... 23456 ... Last

1. Quote Originally Posted by 02sixxer View Post
    At The international sports science network classes they advocate 1.4 to 1.7g per lb of lean body mass while bulking and building mass.
    Any studies to back this up? I've been staying at about 1g/lb some days go close to 1.5g and some days I only hit 0.75.
    CELTIC LABS REP

2. Quote Originally Posted by tnubs View Post

Any studies to back this up? I've been staying at about 1g/lb some days go close to 1.5g and some days I only hit 0.75.
    me too and continue to make gains
    Nutraceutical Innovations
    AMINDS15 - 15% code
    nutra-innovations.com
    •   

3. Quote Originally Posted by tnubs View Post

Quote Originally Posted by hvactech View Post

To be fair, he never said you wouldn't gain at less, or even more, than that. He only said that is what that particular association advocated.

Don't know why you need studies to show an organizations particular beliefs.

4. Quote Originally Posted by jimbuick View Post

To be fair, he never said you wouldn't gain at less, or even more, than that. He only said that is what that particular association advocated.

i wasnt disputing sixxer's post, just saying i eat less than 1g per bodyweight of protein
    Nutraceutical Innovations
    AMINDS15 - 15% code
    nutra-innovations.com

5. Quote Originally Posted by hvactech View Post

i wasnt disputing sixxer's post, just saying i eat less than 1g per bodyweight of protein
    Lol, it read strangely because of the quote from tnubs who was.

My bad.
    •   

6. I weigh 185 and eat around 220-240g of protein. When I'm lean bulking that's perfect for me since I can get more kcals without adding excess carbs/fat.

7. Quote Originally Posted by tnubs View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hvactech View Post
    I just tried to pull them up, they are on the website. However, I am not a member so I cant. It's $250 for their membership. I go to their confrences each year. In April last year they spoke about protein and amino needs while building muscle. I got the numbers from the presentation. I am not arguing you can build mscle without that number. I am at the lower end of protein intake reccomended by them and the biggest I ve ever been. However, I wont act like I am natural. I have ran PH's many times. I believe if I went to 5 organizations all on the same topics, I would hear 5 different opinions. I believe they all would be correct in their own right. But thats because we have many different body types. I am a Mesomorph, a Ecto and Endo would have totally different needs. That should be considered when planning a diet for cutting, bulking, or maintaining.

Jim thanks, that was all I was trying to do is just say what the ISSN states about protein needs.
    Formutech Nutrition Rep --------------Team IronClad Physiques!!!
    www.formutechnutrition.com------------------ NPC Competitor
    www.facebook.com/fnutrition

8. Quote Originally Posted by EatMoar View Post
    I weigh 185 and eat around 220-240g of protein. When I'm lean bulking that's perfect for me since I can get more kcals without adding excess carbs/fat.
    Thats kinda where I stand too.

9. Quote Originally Posted by jimbuick View Post

I only said that because the college nutrition classes(including sports nutrition) I took all drilled in like 1.5g/1kg and all numbers below 1g/1lb and threw all these studies at us showing how athletes are eating too much protein and its going to waste. i just assume they would have some reasoning for recommending a higher dose? i've just never heard of protein consumption that high be recommended before by school system. **** if theres any benefit to it, id be eating it, but ive noticed no enhanced gains with extra high protein consumption
    CELTIC LABS REP

10. Quote Originally Posted by 02sixxer View Post
    Thats kinda where I stand too.
    yeah exactly its not going to hurt you to eat excess protein as long as you drink enough water as well.

11. Quote Originally Posted by tnubs View Post
    I only said that because the college nutrition classes(including sports nutrition) I took all drilled in like 1.5g/1kg and all numbers below 1g/1lb and threw all these studies at us showing how athletes are eating too much protein and its going to waste. i just assume they would have some reasoning for recommending a higher dose? i've just never heard of protein consumption that high be recommended before by school system. **** if theres any benefit to it, id be eating it, but ive noticed no enhanced gains with extra high protein consumption
    This conversation happened a few pages ago. "Excess" protein has been shown to positively influence MPS and nitrogen retention regardless of oxidation.
  12. Re: Is 200g protein enough?

Quote Originally Posted by jimbuick View Post

Considering the organization is named International Sports SCIENCE Network I think it is perfectly reasonable to assume there be some sort of reference to scientific literature from which they base their statements from.

Quote Originally Posted by tnubs View Post

i've just never heard of protein consumption that high be recommended before by school system.
    The ISSN is not a school or higher education authority. They are a completely made up organization which imposes itself onto the industry as a authority. They are similar to other organizations such as ASCM, ACE, NSCA but hold less weight in the field

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S™II using Tapatalk 2
    PESCIENCE.COM

"The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates

13. Quote Originally Posted by JudoJosh View Post

Considering the organization is named International Sports SCIENCE Network I think it is perfectly reasonable to assume there be some sort of reference to scientific literature from which they base their statements from.

The ISSN is not a school or higher education authority. They are a completely made up organization which imposes itself onto the industry as a authority. They are similar to other organizations such as ASCM, ACE, NSCA but hold less weight

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S(TM)II using Tapatalk 2
    You missed my point (I think)

I was not saying whether they had any or not. Merely that he was sharing that associations beliefs, he never said if it was correct or not.

14. The ISSN is a little more credible than some posters would have you believe:

"The International Society of Sports Nutrition is recognized as the only not-for-profit academic-based society dedicated to sports nutrition and growing the science of applied nutrition. The ISSN conferences, tutorials, lectures and courses have been recognized (vis a vis attaining continuing education credits) by the American Dietetic Association, National Strength and Conditioning Association, American College of Sports Medicine, American Council on Exercise, American Physical Therapy Association, National Association of Athletic Trainers and other organizations as well. Members of these organizations can earn continuing education credits by attending ISSN Conferences and Symposia. The ISSN is also recognized by many Universities as offering the latest, cutting edge and non-biased information about the science and application of sports nutrition and supplements."

http://www.sportsnutritionsociety.org/about-us.html

To flippantly disregard them is a little more telling than the above suspicion (slander?) itself.

15. Quote Originally Posted by TexasGuy View Post
    The ISSN is a little more credible than some posters would have you believe:

"The International Society of Sports Nutrition is recognized as the only not-for-profit academic-based society dedicated to sports nutrition and growing the science of applied nutrition. The ISSN conferences, tutorials, lectures and courses have been recognized (vis a vis attaining continuing education credits) by the American Dietetic Association, National Strength and Conditioning Association, American College of Sports Medicine, American Council on Exercise, American Physical Therapy Association, National Association of Athletic Trainers and other organizations as well. Members of these organizations can earn continuing education credits by attending ISSN Conferences and Symposia. The ISSN is also recognized by many Universities as offering the latest, cutting edge and non-biased information about the science and application of sports nutrition and supplements."

http://www.sportsnutritionsociety.org/about-us.html

To flippantly disregard them is a little more telling than the above suspicion (slander?) itself.
    Sounds like Wikipedia to me
  16. Re: Is 200g protein enough?

Quote Originally Posted by EatMoar View Post
    Sounds like Wikipedia to me
    No he just copied the paragraph from the ISSN website who obviously think pretty highly of themselves.

PESCIENCE.COM

17. I don't wan to argue about such a petty thing. But as far as ISSN, I have been to a few of their conferences and all of Europa Universities. The ISSN has very good doctors teaching. Matter of fact the last one I went to, had an entire college class their. The resume I the teachers expand from university professors to profession level athletic organizations dietians, to scientist for pharmaceutical companies. Not once was was something stated without scientific evidence that they felt supported their claim. Weather it was from biopsies, blood results, studies using controlled environments am controlled groups. I have been to many other conferences. ISSN's have been some of the best. I have learned things and use it for me and my clients.

I apologize to the op for for starting this in you thread. And will end with do what works for you. Hell my cousin just has to walk in a gym and he comes out 10lbs heavier. He is beastly an does not have to work for it. Great genetics. I have to eat good and stay up on my cardio to keep a chiseled body.

Live you all am, sorry to ruffle feathers.

18. Quote Originally Posted by TexasGuy View Post
    This conversation happened a few pages ago. "Excess" protein has been shown to positively influence MPS and nitrogen retention regardless of oxidation.
    Was this actually shown? All I remember reading was a theory by Layne Norton. Not saying he was wrong, but it was a theory.

19. Quote Originally Posted by Jiigzz View Post
    Was this actually shown? All I remember reading was a theory by Layne Norton. Not saying he was wrong, but it was a theory.
    Just a theory, not a fact. Some people like to think their words are facts, and I do not mean Layne Norton.
    >SNS-Glycophase<
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Rep
  20. Re: Is 200g protein enough?

There are no facts in science.

And what Norton proposed is a hypothesis not a theory since no actual testing has taken place.

PESCIENCE.COM

21. Quote Originally Posted by JudoJosh View Post
    There are no facts in science.

And what Norton proposed is a hypothesis not a theory since no actual testing has taken place.

But but but...it is a fact the universe is still expanding! Haha I kid I kid...anyhow strictly speaking you are right, it was merely an uncontested hypothesis.
    >SNS-Glycophase<
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Rep

22. http://www.jci.org/articles/view/112919

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15572657

Here are a couple of links in relation to the essay, which references it's own studies all of you are free to read.

Science works both ways, it's not just there to prove you right in an argument about bodybuilding diets. Please take the links in context of the essay if you feel a discussion is warranted. I'm not interested in an off topic tangent.

The theories presented in the essay are backed by solid science. Read it. Check its references. It is a study supported "best practice" protocol. Nothing personal, bros, read it with an open mind for your own benefit. Or don't, **** it.

Edit: A better format for the jci.org link http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15572657

Edit again, my cell phone copy pasted are all ****ed up. Click the .gov link and then full text or show all.

23. I feel that the more protein the better it is for growth

24. If your in college without any other support other than yourself just stick to 1g/lb.. Protein is too expensive yo..i went food shopping yesterday and almost cried when i swiped my debit card

25. I eat 1.5 to 2.0 grams per lb. body weight and that is good.
    LG Sciences Rep
    Nothing I say constitutes medical advise. Please check with your medical professional before starting any diet or exercise program.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Am I getting enough calories? And is my protein shake OK?
    By iDShaDoW in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-13-2008, 05:13 PM
  2. Is one bottle enough?
    By goyard in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-09-2005, 10:50 AM
  3. is 4 weeks enough?
    By julius kelp in forum Cycle Logs
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-11-2003, 11:36 AM
  4. When else besides PW is whey protein okay to consume?
    By JohnGafnea in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-04-2003, 01:42 AM
  5. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 12-19-2002, 07:27 PM