1. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'8"  193 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    44.78%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by JudoJosh View Post

I doubt you "need" oatmeal and whole grains to grow. I'm sure you can hit whatever carb amount you want with potatoes and rice. When I was keto I would hit 700g carbs on refeeds no problem. IMO white rice and potatoes still fall under the paleo guidelines ( minimal processed and non inflammatory)

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S(TM)II using Tapatalk 2
    Holy carbohydrates batman! Nothing wrong with eating healthy carbs as opposed to starchy ones such as potatoes .

2. Pro Virili Parte
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    79.26%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Re: Is 200g protein enough?

Glycogen supercompensation

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S™II using Tapatalk 2
    "The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates
  3. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    63.47%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by EatMoar View Post
    Holy carbohydrates batman! Nothing wrong with eating healthy carbs as opposed to starchy ones such as potatoes .
    What exactly constitutes a 'healthy' carb? Wholegrains to me are not healthy. Potatoes on the other hand are; they are my primary source of vitamin C
    •   

4. Pro Virili Parte
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    79.26%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Re: Is 200g protein enough?

For the record the above was a day at a sushi buffet, rice, potatoes and lots of fruit. All within the paleo guidelines in my book

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S™II using Tapatalk 2
  5. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'6"  212 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    29.06%

When I was keto I would hit 700g carbs on refeeds no problem. IMO white rice and potatoes still fall under the paleo guidelines ( minimal processed and non inflammatory)

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy SII using Tapatalk 2
    I like to do refeeds like that too...but with protein on a brazillian buffet, during 2 and half hours eating as much red meat as my stomach can bear I belive I can hit 300gr of protein on that meal alone (yup, around 1,5kg of all kinds of meat)
  6. Pro Virili Parte
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    79.26%

There is a Braziallian steakhouse is a nearby city to me and I have been DYING to go (all you can eat bacon wrapped sirloins!) but I havent found anyone to go with. Apparently the typical (non weight training) guy doesnt share my emphaticism for red meat as much as I hopped.
  7. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'6"  165 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    43.46%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by Jiigzz View Post

What exactly constitutes a 'healthy' carb? Wholegrains to me are not healthy. Potatoes on the other hand are; they are my primary source of vitamin C
    boom! im to the point where rice and taters are a crucial carb staple, along with berrylicious cheesecake icecream
    LG Sciences forum representative
    www.lgsciences.com
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/company-promotions/249846-lg-sciences-would.html
  8. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'6"  212 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    29.06%

There is a Braziallian steakhouse is a nearby city to me and I have been DYING to go (all you can eat bacon wrapped sirloins!) but I havent found anyone to go with. Apparently the typical (non weight training) guy doesnt share my emphaticism for red meat as much as I hopped.
    I have the habbit to go with a friend of mine at least once every month. Tell your weight lifting friends that's a pretty cheap way to get high dose of arachidonic acid on the body and that helps to bulk lol Hell, it's just plain delicious grilled red meat! They usually have picanha and grilled smoked ham with garlic...to go with add some "healthy carbs" like rice and black beans with farofa (the fiber part that is separated from flour). Then you have an healthy bulking buffet for any sort of refeed
  9. Pro Virili Parte
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    79.26%

I haz no weight lifting or science literate friends They are think they are gonna get heart diesae from the steak house
  10. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  191 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    37.43%

Glad to see others eating potatoes and rice as part of their carb requirement. Also, I love my tortillas, especially for my breakfast burritos. I love oatmeal, but I can destroy a burrito like nobody's business. It all tastes good and my body responds well to them. I did the mistake of cutting them out, having read this article and that article, till I got fed up and finally remembered what had worked for me in the past.
  11. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    53.32%
    Achievements Activity Pro

Quote Originally Posted by EatMoar View Post
    what exactly is unhealthy about potatoes? they are a very healthy carb source.
  12. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'8"  193 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    44.78%

Quote Originally Posted by rhoadx View Post

what exactly is unhealthy about potatoes? they are a very healthy carb source.
    I just said they were starchy....
  13. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'6"  212 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    29.06%

I haz no weight lifting or science literate friends They are think they are gonna get heart diesae from the steak house
    Broscience with them What is inuit people stapple diet? Raw whale bluber and meat with some fish. They do get pretty old don't they? So there's no need to be afraid of a steak house
  14. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    71.17%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Perhaps, and you are right. But I don't like going with the whole grains and oatmeal. Granted, I actually do drop all breads come comp time. Oatmeal however, I usually eat it dry...
  15. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    45%

You should be fine, I ate around that when I was around your weight. I went heavy on carbs (good carbs)
  16. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'6"  165 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    43.46%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by Thuritto View Post
    You should be fine, I ate around that when I was around your weight. I went heavy on carbs (good carbs)
    whats "good carbs"
    LG Sciences forum representative
    www.lgsciences.com
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/company-promotions/249846-lg-sciences-would.html
  17. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'9"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    55.86%

Quote Originally Posted by hvactech

whats "good carbs"
    The ones that arent bad duuuhh
  18. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    63.47%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by hvactech View Post
    whats "good carbs"
    Haha this. What is a good carb?

Coz almost anything can work IIFYM; YOLO

I kid. But srs, a good carb is highly subjective.
  19. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    71.17%

Haha this. What is a good carb?

Coz almost anything can work IIFYM; YOLO

I kid. But srs, a good carb is highly subjective.
    A carb that has a nutrient partitioning that goes to muscle cells and liver glycogen is a good one. Granted, the portion and its ratio between the other macros within the meal has more to do with nutrient partitioning than the actual type of carb itself. In general, a carb loaded with fiber and micro-nutrients is a good one. Sweet potatoes and oatmeal would be my best examples.

Or in the case that you are cycling Tren - any carb, lol. Positive Nutrient partitioning is ridiculous on that stuff.
  20. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    70%

I think it's what 1 lb is 1 g of protein?
  21. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  238 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    40.43%

Quote Originally Posted by ashirov21 View Post
    Read the thread.
  22. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    63.47%

Quote Originally Posted by fueledpassion View Post
    A carb that has a nutrient partitioning that goes to muscle cells and liver glycogen is a good one. Granted, the portion and its ratio between the other macros within the meal has more to do with nutrient partitioning than the actual type of carb itself. In general, a carb loaded with fiber and micro-nutrients is a good one. Sweet potatoes and oatmeal would be my best examples.

Or in the case that you are cycling Tren - any carb, lol. Positive Nutrient partitioning is ridiculous on that stuff.
    It's still subjective and opinion based as you can argue various foods over each other; I for one do not touch Oatmeal and would instead opt for Creamed Rice with lactose free milk.
  23. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    63.47%

Quote Originally Posted by ashirov21 View Post
    1 lb =/= 1g
  24. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    71.17%

It's still subjective and opinion based as you can argue various foods over each other; I for one do not touch Oatmeal and would instead opt for Creamed Rice with lactose free milk.
    I get ur drift. However, a few things I stated in there are very objective. Portion amount, fiber amount, % of daily nutrition in micro nutrients and ratio of carbs to protein in that exact meal are objective. Not to mention simple non measureable objective things like the sugar molecule structure and whether or not it is a simple or complex carb or whether it is unprocessed or refined. That too is objective. All of these things distinguish a good carb from a bad one in terms of muscle gain, energy and fat loss.
  25. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  150 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    36.43%

Quote Originally Posted by Sean1332 View Post
    1.0g/lb of BW. That's plenty. Most on this board agree to that number.
    This This this
  26. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    63.47%

I get ur drift. However, a few things I stated in there are very objective. Portion amount, fiber amount, % of daily nutrition in micro nutrients and ratio of carbs to protein in that exact meal are objective. Not to mention simple non measureable objective things like the sugar molecule structure and whether or not it is a simple or complex carb or whether it is unprocessed or refined. That too is objective. All of these things distinguish a good carb from a bad one in terms of muscle gain, energy and fat loss.
    I would still beg to differ. Too much fiber can be a hinderance therefore fiber amount does not nessesarily make a food product more 'healthy'; sugar moleculestructure is largely irrelevant given that adding a protein to a sugar will slow its transit throughout the G.I tract, thus giving it a much lower G.I. rating; so again, the molecule structure can be manipulated to serve many means.

I agree on level of processing in some terms, but I do not consider wholegrains healthy.
  27. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    71.17%

I would still beg to differ. Too much fiber can be a hinderance therefore fiber amount does not nessesarily make a food product more 'healthy'; sugar moleculestructure is largely irrelevant given that adding a protein to a sugar will slow its transit throughout the G.I tract, thus giving it a much lower G.I. rating; so again, the molecule structure can be manipulated to serve many means.

I agree on level of processing in some terms, but I do not consider wholegrains healthy.
    well, ok then.

the molecular structure thought was something like comparing a sugar in the raw to maltodextrin. Both are carbs. Both are sweeteners. But they aren't equal. One is superior to the other due to its molecular structure. And for the fiber part, people typically need 25g of fiber per day to remain at a healthy state. However, during comp time I strive for 35-50g per day which is easily met since I'm literally eating greens all day.

Unless you are challenging the daily fiber needs, I would say that each meal needs at minimum 4-5g of fiber, unless you are eating 8-10 times per day. In that case it could be smaller.

I've got to be honest with you - I'd hate your diet. I wouldn't grow and I'd be miserable. My approach is a minimalist approach, which would mean I try to minimize complication to the diet. Otherwise it becomes too taxing on my body and burdensome in unsustainable ways.
  28. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    63.47%

well, ok then.

the molecular structure thought was something like comparing a sugar in the raw to maltodextrin. Both are carbs. Both are sweeteners. But they aren't equal. One is superior to the other due to its molecular structure. And for the fiber part, people typically need 25g of fiber per day to remain at a healthy state. However, during comp time I strive for 35-50g per day which is easily met since I'm literally eating greens all day.

Unless you are challenging the daily fiber needs, I would say that each meal needs at minimum 4-5g of fiber, unless you are eating 8-10 times per day. In that case it could be smaller.

I've got to be honest with you - I'd hate your diet. I wouldn't grow and I'd be miserable. My approach is a minimalist approach, which would mean I try to minimize complication to the diet. Otherwise it becomes too taxing on my body and burdensome in unsustainable ways.
    You misinterpret what i'm saying. I'm simply arguing over your interpration of healthy, as healthy is highly subjective. You stated that a healthy carb is highly nutrient dense, but its not the carb that is micronutrient dense, it is the food.

Some people do not consider carbs at all healthy; take ketogenic people for example ( I am not one) they avoid most carbs, so saying a carb laden product is healthy is entirely dependant on your audience. I eat alot of satuarted fats and I consider this to be healthy which is not what a typical nutritionalist would recommened.

My diet is not as complex as I may make it seem; I follow a gluten free, lactose free diet with minimally to no processed foods and have never felt better. Zero bloating etc; I actually decided on this approach in the last month given ZiRs, JJ and other members on this board and others on other boards having resounding success after following a typical BBing diet.

Nutritionalists would argue that fruit is considered healthy, yet you limit it due to fructose (which I agreed with) despite it being high in fiber and micronutrients (falling under your definition of a healthy carb).

But do you catch my drift on something being subjective depending on personal views? I'm not stating you are wrong in your logic, but there are foods others consider staples in diets that I avoid (gluten being one) and simply replace it with rice and meat. It all depends on your audience.
  29. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    71.17%

You misinterpret what i'm saying. I'm simply arguing over your interpration of healthy, as healthy is highly subjective. You stated that a healthy carb is highly nutrient dense, but its not the carb that is micronutrient dense, it is the food.

Some people do not consider carbs at all healthy; take ketogenic people for example ( I am not one) they avoid most carbs, so saying a carb laden product is healthy is entirely dependant on your audience. I eat alot of satuarted fats and I consider this to be healthy which is not what a typical nutritionalist would recommened.

My diet is not as complex as I may make it seem; I follow a gluten free, lactose free diet with minimally to no processed foods and have never felt better. Zero bloating etc; I actually decided on this approach in the last month given ZiRs, JJ and other members on this board and others on other boards having resounding success after following a typical BBing diet.

Nutritionalists would argue that fruit is considered healthy, yet you limit it due to fructose (which I agreed with) despite it being high in fiber and micronutrients (falling under your definition of a healthy carb).

But do you catch my drift on something being subjective depending on personal views? I'm not stating you are wrong in your logic, but there are foods others consider staples in diets that I avoid (gluten being one) and simply replace it with rice and meat. It all depends on your audience.
    Ah, I see.

That makes complete sense. My diet is also lactose free, and I think it might be gluten free for the most part but not intentionally - just by chance I guess.

I understand what you are saying - you are correct, too. I could never play fruit off as unhealthy in general but for my personal goals with trying to keep BF as low as possible while still utilizing carbs and insulin, I've considered it something to be largely absent of my typical daily diet.
  30. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    63.47%

Ah, I see.

That makes complete sense. My diet is also lactose free, and I think it might be gluten free for the most part but not intentionally - just by chance I guess.

I understand what you are saying - you are correct, too. I could never play fruit off as unhealthy in general but for my personal goals with trying to keep BF as low as possible while still utilizing carbs and insulin, I've considered it something to be largely absent of my typical daily diet.
    I completely agree. And I am by no means trying to discredit yourself as your results speak for themselves so I apologise if this is how I came off, the boards are a hard place to convey personal tone . I was only trying to show the OP that the term 'healthy' can be interpreted to mean many different things, hence why I challenged it.
  31. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    5%

Hi Nearly all my protein comes from 90+ Protein powder. I know I should get my protein from lean meats But it's more convenient to drink a shake when at work. Is this a bad approach to my nutrition? I'm currently a beginner/ Intermediate bodybuilder 193lbs, 6'1.
  32. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'11"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    38.58%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

Brown and black rice is not a no no on bulletproof (upgraded Paleo)

http://www.bulletproofexec.com/the-c...letproof-diet/

Quote Originally Posted by 02sixxer View Post
    I hate paleo, only bc I can't eat my oatmeal. I eat a diet very close to a paleo but, I do eat rice and oatmeal and that is a no no. Also a very good book is The Primal Blueprint.
    A-Minds HYPE-SLAYER! All posts & feedback are guaranteed to be unsolicited and legit
    "The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge. Fools despise wisdom & instruction"
    Proverbs 1:7
  33. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'11"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    38.58%

It's the never ending debate.........

Protein Shake vs FOOD Source

Quote Originally Posted by stegt View Post
    Hi Nearly all my protein comes from 90+ Protein powder. I know I should get my protein from lean meats But it's more convenient to drink a shake when at work. Is this a bad approach to my nutrition? I'm currently a beginner/ Intermediate bodybuilder 193lbs, 6'1.
    A-Minds HYPE-SLAYER! All posts & feedback are guaranteed to be unsolicited and legit
    "The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge. Fools despise wisdom & instruction"
  34. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  238 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    40.43%

It would be better if you could be more specific.

There was a time I couldn't eat as much as I wanted during the day either and relied on shakes and bars for a large portion of my protein.

The only real drawback I found to building muscle was difficulty reaching a caloric level for growth with this method. I couldn't exactly set up an office blender and go to town multiple times through out the day.

I would suggest keeping a can of mixed nuts or, if you aren't scared or wheat, a bag of wheaties or something to munch on with your shakes.
  35. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'11"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    38.58%

1) Blend prior to work and bring in screw top/leak proof cups

2) Mix in car or at work with a fork or wisk or protein shaker

3) Do what I do and use MUCH LESS water and mix it into a "pudding like consistency" (yummy) and bring in tupperware

Quote Originally Posted by TexasGuy View Post
    It would be better if you could be more specific.

There was a time I couldn't eat as much as I wanted during the day either and relied on shakes and bars for a large portion of my protein.

The only real drawback I found to building muscle was difficulty reaching a caloric level for growth with this method. I couldn't exactly set up an office blender and go to town multiple times through out the day.

I would suggest keeping a can of mixed nuts or, if you aren't scared or wheat, a bag of wheaties or something to munch on with your shakes.
  36. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    5%

Thanks for the advice.

This is my weekday diet

7am Breakfast, Shredded wheat with 30g 90+ Protein (made with water) apple and pint water.

10am Protein shake and an apple

1pm Tinned vegetable soup and Tinned mixed fruit. Protein shake.

4:30pm 80 g chicken breast And 100 g mixed veg.

7pm 80 g chicken breast and 100grams mixed veg.

10pm Protein shake.

Total Calories 1600 to 1800.
  37. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'11"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    38.58%

What are your goals?

At a glance (w/o knowing much), I am not I am crazy about your diet. you don't need 6 meals and you dont need to eat from 7am to 10pm

Looks like you may have too much protein and more importantly, your diet is a bit OFF from an optimal health/nutritional perspective.

Need to add healthy fats too.
  38. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    5%

My goal is to gain 10 to 15 lbs muscle this year and lose body fat.
    I train 5-6 days a week. 20-30 mins cardio and 30-40 mins weight lifting.

I do eat almonds salmon and tuna for fatty acids.

I'm 29 years old 6'1 and 196lbs (14 stone)
    16% body fat I think...

I am new to bodybuilding. Have been messing with weights for about two years but never consistently. I found my gains stopped and quickly gave up. Really want to focus this year but nutrition is a constant struggle.
  39. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'11"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    38.58%

Same with 99% of the others on this board

Good to hear
  40. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  238 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    40.43%

I train 5-6 days a week. 20-30 mins cardio and 30-40 mins weight lifting.

I'm 29 years old 6'1 and 196lbs (14 stone)
    16% body fat I think...

I am new to bodybuilding. Have been messing with weights for about two years but never consistently. I found my gains stopped and quickly gave up. Really want to focus this year but nutrition is a constant struggle.
    your caloric intake is way too low. post your routine, in detail.

In general, it's a good idea to use a pre-existing routine written by a reputable coach and aimed at your experience level (beginner).

It's always smart to build strength first, you need a foundation. I'm a fan of Bill Starr's 5x5, with added isolation work. 5-3-1 by Jim Wendler is popular right now, Starting Strength by Mark (Mike?) Ripptoe...

Similar Forum Threads

1. Am I getting enough calories? And is my protein shake OK?
    By iDShaDoW in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-13-2008, 05:13 PM
  2. Is one bottle enough?
    By goyard in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-09-2005, 10:50 AM
  3. is 4 weeks enough?
    By julius kelp in forum Cycle Info
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-11-2003, 11:36 AM
  4. When else besides PW is whey protein okay to consume?
    By JohnGafnea in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-04-2003, 01:42 AM
  5. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 12-19-2002, 07:27 PM