Is 200g protein enough?

Page 3 of 6 First 12345 ... Last

1. Quote Originally Posted by hvactech
    this thread has gotten way outa hand with "science" based facts. does every post have to break down into paragraphs every time?
    This... If it works for you who gives a **** what other people are doing.

2. Quote Originally Posted by bmftisftw View Post

This... If it works for you who gives a **** what other people are doing.
    Celorza.
    •   

3. Quote Originally Posted by hvactech View Post
    this thread has gotten way outa hand with "science" based facts. does every post have to break down into paragraphs every time?
    I've just spoken against too much "scientification" of nutrition

4. Quote Originally Posted by Broly View Post
    I've just spoken against too much "scientification" of nutrition
    Hmm yes
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Representative
    X-gels: Arachidonic Acid made affordable

5. A good way to make sure you get enough Protien it would be 1-1.5 grams per pound of bodyweight,dont need more.I have been at this for over 28 years and have trained with alot of Mr.Universes and Mr Worlds of the past plus went to school for this.Should be good with 1-1.5 grams
    LG Sciences Sponsored Athlete-Nothing I say constitutes as medical advice
    •   

6. Quote Originally Posted by dabronx70 View Post
    A good way to make sure you get enough Protien it would be 1-1.5 grams per pound of bodyweight,dont need more.I have been at this for over 28 years and have trained with alot of Mr.Universes and Mr Worlds of the past plus went to school for this.Should be good with 1-1.5 grams

Name:  Do-you-even-lift-bro.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  132.4 KB

7. Does it look like I lift?

8. Quote Originally Posted by dabronx70 View Post
    I have been at this for over 28 years and have trained with alot of Mr.Universes and Mr Worlds of the past plus went to school for this.Should be good with 1-1.5 grams
    are the top pro's only eating BW to 1.5x BW? i imagine they are eating more but i guess things change a bit when u toss insulin and peptides in there
    CELTIC LABS REP

9. I weigh 205lbs so what I said is plenty.

10. Quote Originally Posted by dabronx70 View Post
    Does it look like I lift?
    Don't take the internet too seriously. It was a joke.

11. Quote Originally Posted by dabronx70
    Does it look like I lift?
    Don't mind Jim. He is a smart ass some times! Don't take him as serious as you are.
    PEScience Representative
    http://pescience.com/insider http://facebook.com/pescience

12. So from various threads and very knowledgeable members of this forum. .5 protein per lb and biceps are worthless? Sound accurate? Lmao sorry had to!

PEScience Representative
    http://pescience.com/insider http://facebook.com/pescience

13. Quote Originally Posted by OnionKnight View Post
    same here

the most anyone should ever need is 2.5g/kg body weight. and thats for the ridiculously intense athletes running two days like the ufc fighters do to prepare for fights. the stuff that probly no one here does lol

those ridiculous 2-3xbody weight is unproven broscience more-is-better logic.
    I spent time with several dietian that work for fighter in the UFC, many of them have very different veiws on diets. It is very indiviualized. What one fighter does does not mean it will work for the next. Another thing to remember, bodybuiolding is its own sport. a diet a fighter does may not work for a person wanting to build mass. Fighters diet to stay within a range of body weight while maximizing strenght and cardiac endurance. A body builder wants muscle mass.

Also remember you never calculater by body weight. You should calculate by Lean Body Mass of LBM. Once you do that the amunt of protein needed goes down.
    Formutech Nutrition Rep --------------Team IronClad Physiques!!!
    www.formutechnutrition.com------------------ NPC Competitor
    www.facebook.com/fnutrition

14. if your natural you dont need that much protein bulking

15. Quote Originally Posted by joltx View Post
    if your natural you dont need that much protein bulking
    Depends, each body is different and each body's needs are different. If a person is 250 6-6 at 10% they may need 200 plus grams of carbs a day. While a female at 5-2 120lbs and 15% bf may need much less. Approx 75g a day.

My natural bulks are done at 300g protein. That is what my dietian puts me on, I do we'll on it, no kidney issues or health issues, so I stick with it. Right now I am 6-2 230 at 11%. So pretty much it's 1.5g per lb of lean mass. At The international sports science network classes they advocate 1.4 to 1.7g per lb of lean body mass while bulking and building mass.

I am not saying I think I need 300g of protein, but I stuck to the diet I am given and that's what it's built on. I think 220g would be adequate, but I would have to alter my carbs and fats to make up calories.

16. Quote Originally Posted by 02sixxer View Post
    At The international sports science network classes they advocate 1.4 to 1.7g per lb of lean body mass while bulking and building mass.
    Any studies to back this up? I've been staying at about 1g/lb some days go close to 1.5g and some days I only hit 0.75.
    CELTIC LABS REP

17. Quote Originally Posted by tnubs View Post

Any studies to back this up? I've been staying at about 1g/lb some days go close to 1.5g and some days I only hit 0.75.
    me too and continue to make gains
    Nutraceutical Innovations
    AMINDS15 - 15% code
    nutra-innovations.com

18. Quote Originally Posted by tnubs View Post

Quote Originally Posted by hvactech View Post

To be fair, he never said you wouldn't gain at less, or even more, than that. He only said that is what that particular association advocated.

Don't know why you need studies to show an organizations particular beliefs.

19. Quote Originally Posted by jimbuick View Post

To be fair, he never said you wouldn't gain at less, or even more, than that. He only said that is what that particular association advocated.

i wasnt disputing sixxer's post, just saying i eat less than 1g per bodyweight of protein
    Nutraceutical Innovations
    AMINDS15 - 15% code
    nutra-innovations.com

20. Quote Originally Posted by hvactech View Post

i wasnt disputing sixxer's post, just saying i eat less than 1g per bodyweight of protein
    Lol, it read strangely because of the quote from tnubs who was.

My bad.

21. I weigh 185 and eat around 220-240g of protein. When I'm lean bulking that's perfect for me since I can get more kcals without adding excess carbs/fat.

22. Quote Originally Posted by tnubs View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hvactech View Post
    I just tried to pull them up, they are on the website. However, I am not a member so I cant. It's $250 for their membership. I go to their confrences each year. In April last year they spoke about protein and amino needs while building muscle. I got the numbers from the presentation. I am not arguing you can build mscle without that number. I am at the lower end of protein intake reccomended by them and the biggest I ve ever been. However, I wont act like I am natural. I have ran PH's many times. I believe if I went to 5 organizations all on the same topics, I would hear 5 different opinions. I believe they all would be correct in their own right. But thats because we have many different body types. I am a Mesomorph, a Ecto and Endo would have totally different needs. That should be considered when planning a diet for cutting, bulking, or maintaining.

Jim thanks, that was all I was trying to do is just say what the ISSN states about protein needs.

23. Quote Originally Posted by EatMoar View Post
    I weigh 185 and eat around 220-240g of protein. When I'm lean bulking that's perfect for me since I can get more kcals without adding excess carbs/fat.
    Thats kinda where I stand too.

24. Quote Originally Posted by jimbuick View Post

I only said that because the college nutrition classes(including sports nutrition) I took all drilled in like 1.5g/1kg and all numbers below 1g/1lb and threw all these studies at us showing how athletes are eating too much protein and its going to waste. i just assume they would have some reasoning for recommending a higher dose? i've just never heard of protein consumption that high be recommended before by school system. **** if theres any benefit to it, id be eating it, but ive noticed no enhanced gains with extra high protein consumption
    CELTIC LABS REP

25. Quote Originally Posted by 02sixxer View Post
    Thats kinda where I stand too.
    yeah exactly its not going to hurt you to eat excess protein as long as you drink enough water as well.

26. Quote Originally Posted by tnubs View Post
    I only said that because the college nutrition classes(including sports nutrition) I took all drilled in like 1.5g/1kg and all numbers below 1g/1lb and threw all these studies at us showing how athletes are eating too much protein and its going to waste. i just assume they would have some reasoning for recommending a higher dose? i've just never heard of protein consumption that high be recommended before by school system. **** if theres any benefit to it, id be eating it, but ive noticed no enhanced gains with extra high protein consumption
    This conversation happened a few pages ago. "Excess" protein has been shown to positively influence MPS and nitrogen retention regardless of oxidation.
  27. Re: Is 200g protein enough?

Quote Originally Posted by jimbuick View Post

Considering the organization is named International Sports SCIENCE Network I think it is perfectly reasonable to assume there be some sort of reference to scientific literature from which they base their statements from.

Quote Originally Posted by tnubs View Post

i've just never heard of protein consumption that high be recommended before by school system.
    The ISSN is not a school or higher education authority. They are a completely made up organization which imposes itself onto the industry as a authority. They are similar to other organizations such as ASCM, ACE, NSCA but hold less weight in the field

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S™II using Tapatalk 2
    PESCIENCE.COM

"The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates

28. Quote Originally Posted by JudoJosh View Post

Considering the organization is named International Sports SCIENCE Network I think it is perfectly reasonable to assume there be some sort of reference to scientific literature from which they base their statements from.

The ISSN is not a school or higher education authority. They are a completely made up organization which imposes itself onto the industry as a authority. They are similar to other organizations such as ASCM, ACE, NSCA but hold less weight

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S(TM)II using Tapatalk 2
    You missed my point (I think)

I was not saying whether they had any or not. Merely that he was sharing that associations beliefs, he never said if it was correct or not.

29. The ISSN is a little more credible than some posters would have you believe:

"The International Society of Sports Nutrition is recognized as the only not-for-profit academic-based society dedicated to sports nutrition and growing the science of applied nutrition. The ISSN conferences, tutorials, lectures and courses have been recognized (vis a vis attaining continuing education credits) by the American Dietetic Association, National Strength and Conditioning Association, American College of Sports Medicine, American Council on Exercise, American Physical Therapy Association, National Association of Athletic Trainers and other organizations as well. Members of these organizations can earn continuing education credits by attending ISSN Conferences and Symposia. The ISSN is also recognized by many Universities as offering the latest, cutting edge and non-biased information about the science and application of sports nutrition and supplements."

http://www.sportsnutritionsociety.org/about-us.html

To flippantly disregard them is a little more telling than the above suspicion (slander?) itself.

30. Quote Originally Posted by TexasGuy View Post
    The ISSN is a little more credible than some posters would have you believe:

"The International Society of Sports Nutrition is recognized as the only not-for-profit academic-based society dedicated to sports nutrition and growing the science of applied nutrition. The ISSN conferences, tutorials, lectures and courses have been recognized (vis a vis attaining continuing education credits) by the American Dietetic Association, National Strength and Conditioning Association, American College of Sports Medicine, American Council on Exercise, American Physical Therapy Association, National Association of Athletic Trainers and other organizations as well. Members of these organizations can earn continuing education credits by attending ISSN Conferences and Symposia. The ISSN is also recognized by many Universities as offering the latest, cutting edge and non-biased information about the science and application of sports nutrition and supplements."

http://www.sportsnutritionsociety.org/about-us.html

To flippantly disregard them is a little more telling than the above suspicion (slander?) itself.
    Sounds like Wikipedia to me
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Am I getting enough calories? And is my protein shake OK?
    By iDShaDoW in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-13-2008, 04:13 PM
  2. Is one bottle enough?
    By goyard in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-09-2005, 09:50 AM
  3. is 4 weeks enough?
    By julius kelp in forum Cycle Info
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-11-2003, 10:36 AM
  4. When else besides PW is whey protein okay to consume?
    By JohnGafnea in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-04-2003, 12:42 AM
  5. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 12-19-2002, 06:27 PM