DC Training for Bulk / Natural Gains.

masonmarin18

masonmarin18

Awards
  • Established
I plan on switching to DC soon for my bulk so was wondering who here has used the DC training program to bulk? Looking to hear what kind of gains people have had verse a higher volume training each muscle 1x a week. Preferably natural BB'rs, but looking to hear from anyone on your thoughts of it.

masonmarin18

masonmarin18

Awards
  • Established
Anyone have experiences to share?

Andrewmirin12

Awards
I dont know youre experience in lifting, and im not suggesting that i have more experience than you do in lifting. but if youre looking to bulk bro and youre like me an ectomorph to get some serious gains just stick to the basics, compound movements, dont over complicate things. Do high intensity, 8-12 rep range of 4-5 sets of 5-8 different works one muscle group a day 5-6 days a week with 1-2 rest days, i take mine on the weekends. cut out doing cardio everyday if you are but if u wanna stay kinda lean then i suggest still do 2 sessions a week on the stair climber for an hour. Iv been on this
regiment for 6 months now and iv gone from 170 to fluctating between 187-190 lbs of lean mass, and people still ask me how im so lean and cut and huge at the same time and im bulking!! (makes me excited to enter my pre-contest conditioning in january!) for nutrition 3200 calories a day for ur weight should be good, hell up it, if you want! make sure ur taking in at least 400-500 carbs a day and 1g of protien per pound of body weight, and u can up that to if ur a hard gainer. and in my opinion penut butter and WHOLE milk are the best natural mass gainers, iv been trying to intake 800-1000 calories of whole milk a day and iv been seeing some serious gains. GOODLUCk! hope this helps!

masonmarin18

masonmarin18

Awards
  • Established
I dont know youre experience in lifting, and im not suggesting that i have more experience than you do in lifting. but if youre looking to bulk bro and youre like me an ectomorph to get some serious gains just stick to the basics, compound movements, dont over complicate things. Do high intensity, 8-12 rep range of 4-5 sets of 5-8 different works one muscle group a day 5-6 days a week with 1-2 rest days, i take mine on the weekends. cut out doing cardio everyday if you are but if u wanna stay kinda lean then i suggest still do 2 sessions a week on the stair climber for an hour. Iv been on this
regiment for 6 months now and iv gone from 170 to fluctating between 187-190 lbs of lean mass, and people still ask me how im so lean and cut and huge at the same time and im bulking!! (makes me excited to enter my pre-contest conditioning in january!) for nutrition 3200 calories a day for ur weight should be good, hell up it, if you want! make sure ur taking in at least 400-500 carbs a day and 1g of protien per pound of body weight, and u can up that to if ur a hard gainer. and in my opinion penut butter and WHOLE milk are the best natural mass gainers, iv been trying to intake 800-1000 calories of whole milk a day and iv been seeing some serious gains. GOODLUCk! hope this helps!
Thanks for the tips buddy but I know how to train and diet haha, my question wasn't how to bulk or get bigger, but simply looking to see how people like DC verse High volume training like you suggested above.

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
DC > everything....

At work, I'll post more later
Agree 200%

If you have the nuts to dig deep every workout (not saying you don't) then DC will literally rock your world. I have never had growth and strength gains as fast as I have with DC. Try a few blasts stick with it for 2 months and you will see vast differences.

masonmarin18

masonmarin18

Awards
  • Established
masonmarin18

masonmarin18

Awards
  • Established
Agree 200%

If you have the nuts to dig deep every workout (not saying you don't) then DC will literally rock your world. I have never had growth and strength gains as fast as I have with DC. Try a few blasts stick with it for 2 months and you will see vast differences.
How long do you like to blast for personally?

AZMIDLYF

AZMIDLYF

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The blast length will be determined by each individuals lifestyle,nutrition,and recovery abilities. Generally, 8 weeks is the norm but nothing is set in stone here. I don't know if you have gone to the site but, IntenseMuscle is where all your answers will be. I have been DCing off and on now since '08 and like Valdez said...it will pack on the size/strength if all the other pieces of the puzzle are in place.

carpee

carpee

Awards
  • Established
agree with these guys. I've built my "base" from DC and it is very hard for me to stick to any other programs for very long without coming back.

you have to be able to put everything into the one rest pause set or few working sets, but it is fun that way...and the gains are great: both strength and size.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Loved it.

I at some point may plan to do a year or more straight of DC. I definitely will need a comrade to help push me along the way, though. I did it for 8-10 months last time, by myself, and it was superb, but I just couldn't do another squat widowmaker after my last cruise.

carpee

carpee

Awards
  • Established
Loved it.

I at some point may plan to do a year or more straight of DC. I definitely will need a comrade to help push me along the way, though. I did it for 8-10 months last time, by myself, and it was superb, but I just couldn't do another squat widowmaker after my last cruise.
sometimes on "off cycles" or "cruises" I'll still rest pause what I can, including leg extensions instead of the WM

or a little mentzer style leg ext to failure followed directly by leg press to failure...

this is after squatting on quad days for a long period of time

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
My one tip is to start light! If you don't, you may notice that you'll stall very fast on upper body movements. I was pretty stubborn and saw little progress on my overhead press variations until I moved the rep range low. Now some people will be able to still get strong and big continuously working at the lower rest-pause rep range, but it wont hurt anybody to work at a higher rep range.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
sometimes on "off cycles" or "cruises" I'll still rest pause what I can, including leg extensions instead of the WM

or a little mentzer style leg ext to failure followed directly by leg press to failure...

this is after squatting on quad days for a long period of time
I miss the thrill of completing widowmakers. I actually did one the other day on the leg press instead of a max effort squat/deadlift movement since I had already maxed a few days earlier, and it was fun as hell.

carpee

carpee

Awards
  • Established
I miss the thrill of completing widowmakers. I actually did one the other day on the leg press instead of a max effort squat/deadlift movement since I had already maxed a few days earlier, and it was fun as hell.
absolutely. you learn what you're made of by 15-16-17 reps

masonmarin18

masonmarin18

Awards
  • Established
Awesome info guys, looking forward to starting DC!

masonmarin18

masonmarin18

Awards
  • Established
My one tip is to start light! If you don't, you may notice that you'll stall very fast on upper body movements. I was pretty stubborn and saw little progress on my overhead press variations until I moved the rep range low. Now some people will be able to still get strong and big continuously working at the lower rest-pause rep range, but it wont hurt anybody to work at a higher rep range.
How high of a rep range?

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
How high of a rep range?
A lot of the guys here know more about the details than I do. I think they got their info from a recent DVD?

But basically, start 15-20 rest-paused reps for barbell benching, 20-30rp dumbbell press, 15-20 for dips, 18-30 tricep extensions, 15-20 close grip bench. Again, those ranges are the total number of reps achieved between the 3 sets you rest-pause.

I personally experienced no problems progressing using the suggested rep ranges for back exercises right off the bat (11-15 for most except bent over barbell rows or deadlift variations).

You'll have to personalize this all, but my point is that don't be afraid to start light. You've read the material on DC training I'm sure - every set is the last set of your life; So what do you do? Go all out! So you're going to go all out, pushing past the extremes your body can handle. So you will grow, and you will get strong. Starting heavy on DC really only risks stalling on your progression and potentially injuring yourself.

masonmarin18

masonmarin18

Awards
  • Established
A lot of the guys here know more about the details than I do. I think they got their info from a recent DVD?

But basically, start 15-20 rest-paused reps for barbell benching, 20-30rp dumbbell press, 15-20 for dips, 18-30 tricep extensions, 15-20 close grip bench. Again, those ranges are the total number of reps achieved between the 3 sets you rest-pause.

I personally experienced no problems progressing using the suggested rep ranges for back exercises right off the bat (11-15 for most except bent over barbell rows or deadlift variations).

You'll have to personalize this all, but my point is that don't be afraid to start light. You've read the material on DC training I'm sure - every set is the last set of your life; So what do you do? Go all out! So you're going to go all out, pushing past the extremes your body can handle. So you will grow, and you will get strong. Starting heavy on DC really only risks stalling on your progression and potentially injuring yourself.
Sounds good man, yeah I planned on starting a little lighter than I could actually do to get used to it / let my body adapt before going for those lower rep ranges. Thanks for your input.

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Sounds good man, yeah I planned on starting a little lighter than I could actually do to get used to it / let my body adapt before going for those lower rep ranges. Thanks for your input.
There's a good bit of information on intense muscle dot com, in the puppy pound, like AZ said. It takes quite a bit of prep work man. I absolutely don't recommend just jumping in by any means. That leads to a lot of people trying it, saying they don't like it and bailing. DC is worth the research bro, I promise.

Shoot me a pm I may have a DVD or 2 laying around... ; )

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
How long do you like to blast for personally?
DC is hard on me lol, plus I don't completely abide by the rules, so my blasts are usually 6 weeks or so. I like to run stairs and do sprints, which is a big no no with DC. Only walking for cardio is done with DC.

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
absolutely. you learn what you're made of by 15-16-17 reps
Yea because you see it come out of your mouth by 20 lmao!!!

ChainLink

Awards

Great advice on starting light. I started too heavy with overhead smith presses and jacked my shoulder up. I was only 3-4wks in before the injury. I really should have had a stronger base before starting DC.

The light headed feeling during widowmakers then take 3-4 big breaths and continue to grind is a great feeling of accomplishment. Make sure the widowmaker is the last exercise you do.

masonmarin18

masonmarin18

Awards
  • Established
There's a good bit of information on intense muscle dot com, in the puppy pound, like AZ said. It takes quite a bit of prep work man. I absolutely don't recommend just jumping in by any means. That leads to a lot of people trying it, saying they don't like it and bailing. DC is worth the research bro, I promise.

Shoot me a pm I may have a DVD or 2 laying around... ; )
Ok, I will send a PM, but yeah I have been researching DC training for over 2 weeks now and don't plan on starting it for a few more. So by no means am I just jumping right into it. Good looking out though, all of you guys have provided helpful information and is much appreciated.

superbeast668

superbeast668

Awards
Ill make one suggestion towards dc. Make sure you have a work out partner/spotter. Going to absolute failure doesnt go over well on bench, shoulders and any other movement that can injure you. I liked dc but stopped because of the lack of spotter.

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Ill make one suggestion towards dc. Make sure you have a work out partner/spotter. Going to absolute failure doesnt go over well on bench, shoulders and any other movement that can injure you. I liked dc but stopped because of the lack of spotter.
That is why smith machines and hammer strength are supposed to be utilized... Also with DB's you go higher rep range 20-30 instead of 11-15. I made the same mistake lol! I almost threw my shoulder out on incline DB press, getting up 90's after your 2nd r/p are dangerous!!!

I do DC alone every sesh and its ideal for me.

carpee

carpee

Awards
  • Established
I havent picked up the DVD, but have been close a few times. I wish they had a cheaper digital option...

anyway, do you guys do lateral raises at all or only pressing movements for shoulders

superbeast668

superbeast668

Awards
That is why smith machines and hammer strength are supposed to be utilized... Also with DB's you go higher rep range 20-30 instead of 11-15. I made the same mistake lol! I almost threw my shoulder out on incline DB press, getting up 90's after your 2nd r/p are dangerous!!!

I do DC alone every sesh and its ideal for me.
Smith and hammers dont work as well as free weights. They have their place but not in place of a compound free weight movement like bb inclines flats and declines.

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Smith and hammers dont work as well as free weights. They have their place but not in place of a compound free weight movement like bb inclines flats and declines.
That may be true in other routines but... In DC those forms I mentioned are the go to choice.

That and DB's since when going to failure on those you can drop them to the sides instead of crushing yourself...

superbeast668

superbeast668

Awards
That may be true in other routines but... In DC those forms I mentioned are the go to choice.
I will argue that only because the only things that made progress in dc for me were biceps and calves. The rest i feel like it went backwards BIG TIME. Especially my chest, which has always been my strong point.

superbeast668

superbeast668

Awards
I will ask though. Where did you get the dc dvds? I am interested in them and eventually making another run at dc.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
My chest, personally, responded the most dramatically to DC training. Went from nothing to full blown pecs that I can bounce at will. I used all barbell for it (incline, flat, decline). I know flat benching is really only recommended if you do it light, but I was fine using the traditional 11-15. I even went down to 9 a few times including 285, which was a massive PR.

masonmarin18

masonmarin18

Awards
  • Established

That and DB's since when going to failure on those you can drop them to the sides instead of crushing yourself...
Yeah I've seen peoples success with DB's / Hammer strength machines.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I did it for two years, every time I did it without using hormonals -naturally. I made strength and size gains, I pushed too hard and didnt back off when injuries occurs, and they did for me with this type of training.

I ended up messing up my elbow and took a good year to heal, had to completely stop upper body for a year.

Then i hurt my shoulder and had to take off two months completely, then had to go light untill it healed, which took quite a while

while I still may do dc once in a blue moon, I seemed to get injuries on it a lot.

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Ok, I wanted to do this from a desktop but my phone will have to do, bare with me on grammar and look out for auto corrects bc I'm not proof reading lol.

First thing to know, DC is a lifestyle not a workout. Along with the workout there are other factors to follow that a lot of people don't, either they don't know or choose not to. Either way, if you follow the lifestyle, you'll make great gains. What I'm talking about is protein reccomendations, carb/pro & pro/fat meals & carb cutt offs. These are often over looked, now I will say this; some people (Rick rock) have been having great results with IF diet and DC, I have zero experience with this so I cannot comment. Stick to the principles to get an accurate assessment before changing things.

My advice would be to start with 2 weeks prior to doing DC get your routine down and do this exercises, just 1 set til failure of a weight 8-12 reps. This will give you a gauge of what exercises you like and what weight you should use. As other said don't start too heavy bc it's setting up for failure, it'll still work but it'll be slow and discouraging. Not to mention wreck your tendons, I'd also like to point out DC is very demanding on joints/tendons and why it's not recommended for beginners. If your joints can't handle the load they'll fail. Muscles strengthen much faster than tendons (why people who use AAS too soon have problems)

I advise blasting for only 6 weeks your first go no matter what with a 2 week cruise. It lets you asses your progress and regroup and give joints a break being natty. The rep ranges differ from what people have said in this thread, this is where people "customize"....that's not really DC. Like others said go over to intense muscle dot com and browse, they have good info (where I started)

Hammer strength and smith machines will let you grow just fine so don't worry about that. Here's a basic overview of rep ranges, all are rest pause unless says otherwise.

Chest pressing 11-15
*flat bb 20-30
Shoulder press 11-15
*DB 20-30
Biceps 11-15
Forearms 10-20 straight sets
hammys 15-20
Calfs 10-12 (DC reps)
Triceps 11-15
*skull crusher 15-20
Quads 4-8 straight set & 20 rep widow maker
Back width 15-20
Bath thickness 11-15 machines
or 8 & 12 straight sets DB rows, t-bar, bent over (anything that compromises back health during movement when tired
Deadlifts hit sets of 6 til you can't get 6

Now exceptions can me made to these depending on circumstances but try and stay as close to these as possible, IMO.

Hope that helps, anything else shoot me a PM, I have a log of DC training somewhere around here. Did it last winter (most recent) I will be starting again in about 4 weeks. I'll send you the link when I do

masonmarin18

masonmarin18

Awards
  • Established
Ok, I wanted to do this from a desktop but my phone will have to do, bare with me on grammar and look out for auto corrects bc I'm not proof reading lol.

First thing to know, DC is a lifestyle not a workout. Along with the workout there are other factors to follow that a lot of people don't, either they don't know or choose not to. Either way, if you follow the lifestyle, you'll make great gains. What I'm talking about is protein reccomendations, carb/pro & pro/fat meals & carb cutt offs. These are often over looked, now I will say this; some people (Rick rock) have been having great results with IF diet and DC, I have zero experience with this so I cannot comment. Stick to the principles to get an accurate assessment before changing things.

My advice would be to start with 2 weeks prior to doing DC get your routine down and do this exercises, just 1 set til failure of a weight 8-12 reps. This will give you a gauge of what exercises you like and what weight you should use. As other said don't start too heavy bc it's setting up for failure, it'll still work but it'll be slow and discouraging. Not to mention wreck your tendons, I'd also like to point out DC is very demanding on joints/tendons and why it's not recommended for beginners. If your joints can't handle the load they'll fail. Muscles strengthen much faster than tendons (why people who use AAS too soon have problems)

I advise blasting for only 6 weeks your first go no matter what with a 2 week cruise. It lets you asses your progress and regroup and give joints a break being natty. The rep ranges differ from what people have said in this thread, this is where people "customize"....that's not really DC. Like others said go over to intense muscle dot com and browse, they have good info (where I started)

Hammer strength and smith machines will let you grow just fine so don't worry about that. Here's a basic overview of rep ranges, all are rest pause unless says otherwise.

Chest pressing 11-15
*flat bb 20-30
Shoulder press 11-15
*DB 20-30
Biceps 11-15
Forearms 10-20 straight sets
hammys 15-20
Calfs 10-12 (DC reps)
Triceps 11-15
*skull crusher 15-20
Quads 4-8 straight set & 20 rep widow maker
Back width 15-20
Bath thickness 11-15 machines
or 8 & 12 straight sets DB rows, t-bar, bent over (anything that compromises back health during movement when tired
Deadlifts hit sets of 6 til you can't get 6

Now exceptions can me made to these depending on circumstances but try and stay as close to these as possible, IMO.

Hope that helps, anything else shoot me a PM, I have a log of DC training somewhere around here. Did it last winter (most recent) I will be starting again in about 4 weeks. I'll send you the link when I do

The only info I have found about DC training on diet is to get lots of protein, 2g per lb of weight I have read. I've been researching on intensemuscle and other sites. I also have been doing IF for 2 months now and planned on doing it along with DC. Thanks for all the advice, I will def do a week or two of just 1 set to failure to get used to the exercises first. Do you have any other input on the diet of DC? I believe just calorie surplus + the high protein + IF protocol would be just fine yeah?

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
The only info I have found about DC training on diet is to get lots of protein, 2g per lb of weight I have read. I've been researching on intensemuscle and other sites. I also have been doing IF for 2 months now and planned on doing it along with DC. Thanks for all the advice, I will def do a week or two of just 1 set to failure to get used to the exercises first. Do you have any other input on the diet of DC? I believe just calorie surplus + the high protein + IF protocol would be just fine yeah?
There is a sticky on IM bro

masonmarin18

masonmarin18

Awards
  • Established
There is a sticky on IM bro
got it now thanks man appreciate it greatly. will watch before bed xD

found the sticky as well.. cheers :D

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
got it now thanks man appreciate it greatly. will watch before bed xD

found the sticky as well.. cheers :D
It's actually a good watch, enjoy bud : )

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Pm me

supermanjow

supermanjow

Awards
  • Established
I did it as a natty for 3 full blast cruze phases in 2008. Completely Natty using the DiPasquale Anabolic Diet. I cut a ton of fat while also increasing all measurements by 1-2 inches. So, I gained muscle and lost fat at the same time that summer. Here's the start and finish:

carpee

carpee

Awards
  • Established
I did it as a natty for 3 full blast cruze phases in 2008. Completely Natty using the DiPasquale Anabolic Diet. I cut a ton of fat while also increasing all measurements by 1-2 inches. So, I gained muscle and lost fat at the same time that summer. Here's the start and finish:
nice job!!

supermanjow

supermanjow

Awards
  • Established
nice job!!
Thanks! It was tough to follow on a college budget though. That summer I got a pile of London Broil for $1.5/lb at our local grocers. I bought like 60lbs of the stuff and ate that every day! I'm looking to start something similar once again when I'm done with next week's move from SD to CO.

masonmarin18

masonmarin18

Awards
  • Established

Damn bro, straight beastin nice work, thanks for sharing.