DC Training for Bulk / Natural Gains.

Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last
  1. Registered User
    carpee's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    IL
    Age
    26
    Posts
    2,590
    Rep Power
    83740

    I havent picked up the DVD, but have been close a few times. I wish they had a cheaper digital option...

    anyway, do you guys do lateral raises at all or only pressing movements for shoulders

  2. Registered User
    superbeast668's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  245 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    6,284
    Rep Power
    2331305

    Quote Originally Posted by Valdez

    That is why smith machines and hammer strength are supposed to be utilized... Also with DB's you go higher rep range 20-30 instead of 11-15. I made the same mistake lol! I almost threw my shoulder out on incline DB press, getting up 90's after your 2nd r/p are dangerous!!!

    I do DC alone every sesh and its ideal for me.
    Smith and hammers dont work as well as free weights. They have their place but not in place of a compound free weight movement like bb inclines flats and declines.
    A superbeast is a mythological creature created for entertainment purposes only. A superbeasts references to anabolic steroids, hormones and peptides are just that, references for entertainment purposes only.
  3. Registered User
    Spaniard's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  186 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Phoenix, Arizona, United States
    Posts
    6,754
    Rep Power
    3644767

    Quote Originally Posted by superbeast668

    Smith and hammers dont work as well as free weights. They have their place but not in place of a compound free weight movement like bb inclines flats and declines.
    That may be true in other routines but... In DC those forms I mentioned are the go to choice.

    That and DB's since when going to failure on those you can drop them to the sides instead of crushing yourself...
    Olympus Labs DemiGod And Rep ~ http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/253076-spaniards-coliseum-featuring.html~http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/220023-valdez-goes-back-29.html
    •   
       

  4. Registered User
    superbeast668's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  245 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    6,284
    Rep Power
    2331305

    Quote Originally Posted by Valdez

    That may be true in other routines but... In DC those forms I mentioned are the go to choice.
    I will argue that only because the only things that made progress in dc for me were biceps and calves. The rest i feel like it went backwards BIG TIME. Especially my chest, which has always been my strong point.
    A superbeast is a mythological creature created for entertainment purposes only. A superbeasts references to anabolic steroids, hormones and peptides are just that, references for entertainment purposes only.
  5. Registered User
    superbeast668's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  245 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    6,284
    Rep Power
    2331305

    I will ask though. Where did you get the dc dvds? I am interested in them and eventually making another run at dc.
    A superbeast is a mythological creature created for entertainment purposes only. A superbeasts references to anabolic steroids, hormones and peptides are just that, references for entertainment purposes only.
  6. Registered User
    Torobestia's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  250 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    3,199
    Rep Power
    141049

    My chest, personally, responded the most dramatically to DC training. Went from nothing to full blown pecs that I can bounce at will. I used all barbell for it (incline, flat, decline). I know flat benching is really only recommended if you do it light, but I was fine using the traditional 11-15. I even went down to 9 a few times including 285, which was a massive PR.
    Check your form: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/exercise-science/190675-proper-techniques.html
    Log: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/235436-tossing-weight-torobestia.html
  7. Registered User
    masonmarin18's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  174 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    587
    Rep Power
    62292

    Quote Originally Posted by Valdez View Post
    That may be true in other routines but... In DC those forms I mentioned are the go to choice.

    That and DB's since when going to failure on those you can drop them to the sides instead of crushing yourself...
    Yeah I've seen peoples success with DB's / Hammer strength machines.
    “Obsessed is a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated.” -R.I.P Zyzz-
  8. Registered User
    John Smeton's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Age
    33
    Posts
    10,017
    Rep Power
    33557

    I did it for two years, every time I did it without using hormonals -naturally. I made strength and size gains, I pushed too hard and didnt back off when injuries occurs, and they did for me with this type of training.

    I ended up messing up my elbow and took a good year to heal, had to completely stop upper body for a year.

    Then i hurt my shoulder and had to take off two months completely, then had to go light untill it healed, which took quite a while

    while I still may do dc once in a blue moon, I seemed to get injuries on it a lot.
    Follow me on facebook, twitter and youtube, where I share information and videos to help you achieve your physique goals, John Smeton Ftness
  9. Registered User
    Spaniard's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  186 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Phoenix, Arizona, United States
    Posts
    6,754
    Rep Power
    3644767

    Quote Originally Posted by masonmarin18

    Yeah I've seen peoples success with DB's / Hammer strength machines.
    Did you get my pm? Check inbox. Time is of the essence...
    Olympus Labs DemiGod And Rep ~ http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/253076-spaniards-coliseum-featuring.html~http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/220023-valdez-goes-back-29.html
  10. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Distilled Water's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  191 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    The hood
    Posts
    9,608
    Rep Power
    2037226

    Ok, I wanted to do this from a desktop but my phone will have to do, bare with me on grammar and look out for auto corrects bc I'm not proof reading lol.

    First thing to know, DC is a lifestyle not a workout. Along with the workout there are other factors to follow that a lot of people don't, either they don't know or choose not to. Either way, if you follow the lifestyle, you'll make great gains. What I'm talking about is protein reccomendations, carb/pro & pro/fat meals & carb cutt offs. These are often over looked, now I will say this; some people (Rick rock) have been having great results with IF diet and DC, I have zero experience with this so I cannot comment. Stick to the principles to get an accurate assessment before changing things.

    My advice would be to start with 2 weeks prior to doing DC get your routine down and do this exercises, just 1 set til failure of a weight 8-12 reps. This will give you a gauge of what exercises you like and what weight you should use. As other said don't start too heavy bc it's setting up for failure, it'll still work but it'll be slow and discouraging. Not to mention wreck your tendons, I'd also like to point out DC is very demanding on joints/tendons and why it's not recommended for beginners. If your joints can't handle the load they'll fail. Muscles strengthen much faster than tendons (why people who use AAS too soon have problems)

    I advise blasting for only 6 weeks your first go no matter what with a 2 week cruise. It lets you asses your progress and regroup and give joints a break being natty. The rep ranges differ from what people have said in this thread, this is where people "customize"....that's not really DC. Like others said go over to intense muscle dot com and browse, they have good info (where I started)

    Hammer strength and smith machines will let you grow just fine so don't worry about that. Here's a basic overview of rep ranges, all are rest pause unless says otherwise.

    Chest pressing 11-15
    *flat bb 20-30
    Shoulder press 11-15
    *DB 20-30
    Biceps 11-15
    Forearms 10-20 straight sets
    hammys 15-20
    Calfs 10-12 (DC reps)
    Triceps 11-15
    *skull crusher 15-20
    Quads 4-8 straight set & 20 rep widow maker
    Back width 15-20
    Bath thickness 11-15 machines
    or 8 & 12 straight sets DB rows, t-bar, bent over (anything that compromises back health during movement when tired
    Deadlifts hit sets of 6 til you can't get 6

    Now exceptions can me made to these depending on circumstances but try and stay as close to these as possible, IMO.

    Hope that helps, anything else shoot me a PM, I have a log of DC training somewhere around here. Did it last winter (most recent) I will be starting again in about 4 weeks. I'll send you the link when I do
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Representative
  11. Registered User
    masonmarin18's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  174 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    587
    Rep Power
    62292

    Quote Originally Posted by Distilled Water View Post
    Ok, I wanted to do this from a desktop but my phone will have to do, bare with me on grammar and look out for auto corrects bc I'm not proof reading lol.

    First thing to know, DC is a lifestyle not a workout. Along with the workout there are other factors to follow that a lot of people don't, either they don't know or choose not to. Either way, if you follow the lifestyle, you'll make great gains. What I'm talking about is protein reccomendations, carb/pro & pro/fat meals & carb cutt offs. These are often over looked, now I will say this; some people (Rick rock) have been having great results with IF diet and DC, I have zero experience with this so I cannot comment. Stick to the principles to get an accurate assessment before changing things.

    My advice would be to start with 2 weeks prior to doing DC get your routine down and do this exercises, just 1 set til failure of a weight 8-12 reps. This will give you a gauge of what exercises you like and what weight you should use. As other said don't start too heavy bc it's setting up for failure, it'll still work but it'll be slow and discouraging. Not to mention wreck your tendons, I'd also like to point out DC is very demanding on joints/tendons and why it's not recommended for beginners. If your joints can't handle the load they'll fail. Muscles strengthen much faster than tendons (why people who use AAS too soon have problems)

    I advise blasting for only 6 weeks your first go no matter what with a 2 week cruise. It lets you asses your progress and regroup and give joints a break being natty. The rep ranges differ from what people have said in this thread, this is where people "customize"....that's not really DC. Like others said go over to intense muscle dot com and browse, they have good info (where I started)

    Hammer strength and smith machines will let you grow just fine so don't worry about that. Here's a basic overview of rep ranges, all are rest pause unless says otherwise.

    Chest pressing 11-15
    *flat bb 20-30
    Shoulder press 11-15
    *DB 20-30
    Biceps 11-15
    Forearms 10-20 straight sets
    hammys 15-20
    Calfs 10-12 (DC reps)
    Triceps 11-15
    *skull crusher 15-20
    Quads 4-8 straight set & 20 rep widow maker
    Back width 15-20
    Bath thickness 11-15 machines
    or 8 & 12 straight sets DB rows, t-bar, bent over (anything that compromises back health during movement when tired
    Deadlifts hit sets of 6 til you can't get 6

    Now exceptions can me made to these depending on circumstances but try and stay as close to these as possible, IMO.

    Hope that helps, anything else shoot me a PM, I have a log of DC training somewhere around here. Did it last winter (most recent) I will be starting again in about 4 weeks. I'll send you the link when I do

    The only info I have found about DC training on diet is to get lots of protein, 2g per lb of weight I have read. I've been researching on intensemuscle and other sites. I also have been doing IF for 2 months now and planned on doing it along with DC. Thanks for all the advice, I will def do a week or two of just 1 set to failure to get used to the exercises first. Do you have any other input on the diet of DC? I believe just calorie surplus + the high protein + IF protocol would be just fine yeah?
    “Obsessed is a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated.” -R.I.P Zyzz-
  12. Registered User
    Spaniard's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  186 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Phoenix, Arizona, United States
    Posts
    6,754
    Rep Power
    3644767

    Quote Originally Posted by masonmarin18

    The only info I have found about DC training on diet is to get lots of protein, 2g per lb of weight I have read. I've been researching on intensemuscle and other sites. I also have been doing IF for 2 months now and planned on doing it along with DC. Thanks for all the advice, I will def do a week or two of just 1 set to failure to get used to the exercises first. Do you have any other input on the diet of DC? I believe just calorie surplus + the high protein + IF protocol would be just fine yeah?
    There is a sticky on IM bro
    Olympus Labs DemiGod And Rep ~ http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/253076-spaniards-coliseum-featuring.html~http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/220023-valdez-goes-back-29.html
  13. Registered User
    masonmarin18's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  174 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    587
    Rep Power
    62292

    Quote Originally Posted by Valdez View Post
    There is a sticky on IM bro
    got it now thanks man appreciate it greatly. will watch before bed xD

    found the sticky as well.. cheers
    “Obsessed is a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated.” -R.I.P Zyzz-
  14. Registered User
    Spaniard's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  186 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Phoenix, Arizona, United States
    Posts
    6,754
    Rep Power
    3644767

    Quote Originally Posted by masonmarin18

    got it now thanks man appreciate it greatly. will watch before bed xD

    found the sticky as well.. cheers
    It's actually a good watch, enjoy bud : )
    Olympus Labs DemiGod And Rep ~ http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/253076-spaniards-coliseum-featuring.html~http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/220023-valdez-goes-back-29.html
  15. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Distilled Water's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  191 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    The hood
    Posts
    9,608
    Rep Power
    2037226

    Quote Originally Posted by masonmarin18

    The only info I have found about DC training on diet is to get lots of protein, 2g per lb of weight I have read. I've been researching on intensemuscle and other sites. I also have been doing IF for 2 months now and planned on doing it along with DC. Thanks for all the advice, I will def do a week or two of just 1 set to failure to get used to the exercises first. Do you have any other input on the diet of DC? I believe just calorie surplus + the high protein + IF protocol would be just fine yeah?
    Pm me
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Representative
  16. Registered User
    supermanjow's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,070
    Rep Power
    165820

    I did it as a natty for 3 full blast cruze phases in 2008. Completely Natty using the DiPasquale Anabolic Diet. I cut a ton of fat while also increasing all measurements by 1-2 inches. So, I gained muscle and lost fat at the same time that summer. Here's the start and finish:

  17. Registered User
    carpee's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    IL
    Age
    26
    Posts
    2,590
    Rep Power
    83740

    Quote Originally Posted by supermanjow
    I did it as a natty for 3 full blast cruze phases in 2008. Completely Natty using the DiPasquale Anabolic Diet. I cut a ton of fat while also increasing all measurements by 1-2 inches. So, I gained muscle and lost fat at the same time that summer. Here's the start and finish:
    nice job!!
  18. Registered User
    supermanjow's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,070
    Rep Power
    165820

    Quote Originally Posted by carpee View Post
    nice job!!
    Thanks! It was tough to follow on a college budget though. That summer I got a pile of London Broil for $1.5/lb at our local grocers. I bought like 60lbs of the stuff and ate that every day! I'm looking to start something similar once again when I'm done with next week's move from SD to CO.
  19. Registered User
    masonmarin18's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  174 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    587
    Rep Power
    62292

    Quote Originally Posted by supermanjow View Post
    I did it as a natty for 3 full blast cruze phases in 2008. Completely Natty using the DiPasquale Anabolic Diet. I cut a ton of fat while also increasing all measurements by 1-2 inches. So, I gained muscle and lost fat at the same time that summer. Here's the start and finish:

    Damn bro, straight beastin nice work, thanks for sharing.
    “Obsessed is a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated.” -R.I.P Zyzz-
  20. Registered User
    supermanjow's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,070
    Rep Power
    165820

    Quote Originally Posted by masonmarin18 View Post
    Damn bro, straight beastin nice work, thanks for sharing.
    Thanks! This makes me wonder why I ever stopped!
  21. Registered User
    masonmarin18's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  174 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    587
    Rep Power
    62292

    Quote Originally Posted by supermanjow View Post
    Thanks! This makes me wonder why I ever stopped!
    Maybe it's time to start again! :P
    “Obsessed is a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated.” -R.I.P Zyzz-
  22. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Distilled Water's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  191 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    The hood
    Posts
    9,608
    Rep Power
    2037226

    Someone mentioned later raises a bit back, I would will hit a set of 10 immediately after my shoulder press then stretch. didn't really make a difference
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Representative
  23. Registered User
    carpee's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    IL
    Age
    26
    Posts
    2,590
    Rep Power
    83740

    Quote Originally Posted by Distilled Water
    Someone mentioned later raises a bit back, I would will hit a set of 10 immediately after my shoulder press then stretch. didn't really make a difference
    that was me.

    some days I completely cut out pressing and rest paused lateral raises, and my shoulders grew more than ever. I know I deviated, but I like to experiment.
    my shoulders felt better than ever as well.

    I did rear delt work like flyes, band pull aparts, high seated rows as well
  24. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Distilled Water's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  191 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    The hood
    Posts
    9,608
    Rep Power
    2037226

    Quote Originally Posted by carpee

    that was me.

    some days I completely cut out pressing and rest paused lateral raises, and my shoulders grew more than ever. I know I deviated, but I like to experiment.
    my shoulders felt better than ever as well.

    I did rear delt work like flyes, band pull aparts, high seated rows as well
    Honestly, I thought about trying laterals as rest pause but I thought it'd hurt my shoulders.

    I don't know if that'd be "deviating" it's a total shoulder movement, just not a compound one. Your shoulders didn't get messed up? Maybe I'll try that as I transition from post contest when my joints are still a little weak and can't handle heavy weight just yet.
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Representative
  25. Registered User
    carpee's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    IL
    Age
    26
    Posts
    2,590
    Rep Power
    83740

    Quote Originally Posted by Distilled Water

    Honestly, I thought about trying laterals as rest pause but I thought it'd hurt my shoulders.

    I don't know if that'd be "deviating" it's a total shoulder movement, just not a compound one. Your shoulders didn't get messed up? Maybe I'll try that as I transition from post contest when my joints are still a little weak and can't handle heavy weight just yet.
    nope they feel awesome. I cut out pressing for like 6-8 weeks actually and did laterals and every once in a while threw heavy DB uprights like Jim Cordova has on simply shredded.

    felt great
  26. Registered User
    AZMIDLYF's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Age
    55
    Posts
    14,701
    Rep Power
    4651711

    You can rest pause these, just make the rep range very high like 20 reps for the first set to failure.
    Always open light. It’s not what you open with, it’s what you finish with. Louie Simmons
  27. Registered User
    AZMIDLYF's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Age
    55
    Posts
    14,701
    Rep Power
    4651711

    Quote Originally Posted by carpee View Post
    nope they feel awesome. I cut out pressing for like 6-8 weeks actually and did laterals and every once in a while threw heavy DB uprights like Jim Cordova has on simply shredded.

    felt great
    I like these a lot!!
    Always open light. It’s not what you open with, it’s what you finish with. Louie Simmons
  28. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Distilled Water's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  191 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    The hood
    Posts
    9,608
    Rep Power
    2037226

    Quote Originally Posted by carpee

    nope they feel awesome. I cut out pressing for like 6-8 weeks actually and did laterals and every once in a while threw heavy DB uprights like Jim Cordova has on simply shredded.

    felt great
    Well, good to know.

    I tried up right rows and they destroyed my shoulders with the RP sets
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Representative
  29. Registered User
    AZMIDLYF's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Age
    55
    Posts
    14,701
    Rep Power
    4651711

    I can only do the the DB upright rows like said above.
    Always open light. It’s not what you open with, it’s what you finish with. Louie Simmons
  30. Registered User
    AZMIDLYF's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Age
    55
    Posts
    14,701
    Rep Power
    4651711

    Here is a video of his shoulder routine. The rows are midway thru. I crack up everytime I listen to this guy talk.

    http://www.simplyshredded.com/pumped...thickness.html
    Always open light. It’s not what you open with, it’s what you finish with. Louie Simmons
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. DC Training For Beginners
    By metroba in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 55
    Last Post: 07-13-2010, 07:32 PM
  2. best supps for reducing fat gains while bulking
    By acecombact1 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 01-19-2008, 05:02 PM
  3. Replies: 340
    Last Post: 11-05-2007, 10:23 AM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-25-2006, 07:17 PM
  5. T-Mag's Training For Gaining
    By YellowJacket in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-30-2003, 12:55 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.