Trying to bulk up!!

Edgewood92

Awards
Hey guys. I'm 19 and trying to bulk up. When I started the bulk up period I was 168 lbs and hoping to get to at least 175-180lbs. I've been trying for a month now. I've been lifting a lot heavier (a lot of 5x5 and 4x6 reps) and training harder. I was eating around 2,000 calories a day, now my calorie intake is between 3,000 and 3,100. The problem is I have been loosing weight. I'm now down to 160lbs. Yes i've gotten a lot stronger and have gained a lot more mass but why am I loosing weight. I'm trying to gain! lol. Any advice or workouts are great. Thanks!

Blergs

Blergs

Awards
  • Established
up calories to 3500
make your the mount your taking in is real. alot fo guys i seepos tyah im getting in about 3000 cals then i see an example of there diet for the day and its liek 2500.
look into changing up your worouts , confusing the body will help it grow.
google DC trainning, its a decent style. i do somthing liek it but more reps, more sets and i go for about 1hr per workout.
also maybe a good preWO may help out? like ASGT or N2KTS.]
eat CALORIE DENSE foods like nuts/ peanutbutter etc.
add oliv oil to everything you can!
**** i even pour in 1-2oz in my protein drinks.

jbreed30

Awards
Hey man, what is your protein intake a day? You need to atleast be getting 160 grams a day. I'd even bump it up to 1.5 to 2 grams per pound of body weight. Protein to carb ratio is important. Also try adding a lot of dead lifts, squats, power cleans if you're not already. I don't know what your rest time is between sets but I would keep it around 2 minutes between each set. lots of rest when you're not working out. Hope this helps

TRMC2200

Awards
I was having a difficult time adding solid mass. Then I saw a talk by Dan John. He was talking about a program that he runs for high school athletes. He said "if you're not gaining muscle mass then your not eating enough high quality food and you're not squatting enough." At first I laughed...for cying out loud it couldn't be that simple. Then I decided I didn't have much to loose by trying it. I bumped my calories up to 3500+ making sure I was getting at least 2g of protein per pound and zero simple sugars. I find it hard to eat that much so I went for the GOMAD approach. I increased my squatting. He suggested something simple like 3 heavy sets of 5 followed by 3 sets of 20 so that's what I did. Sure enough I started putting on about a pound a week. I hope this is helpful.

Edgewood92

Awards
I was having a difficult time adding solid mass. Then I saw a talk by Dan John. He was talking about a program that he runs for high school athletes. He said "if you're not gaining muscle mass then your not eating enough high quality food and you're not squatting enough." At first I laughed...for cying out loud it couldn't be that simple. Then I decided I didn't have much to loose by trying it. I bumped my calories up to 3500+ making sure I was getting at least 2g of protein per pound and zero simple sugars. I find it hard to eat that much so I went for the GOMAD approach. I increased my squatting. He suggested something simple like 3 heavy sets of 5 followed by 3 sets of 20 so that's what I did. Sure enough I started putting on about a pound a week. I hope this is helpful.
Everything is helpful! thanks. I'm gonna have to try that then. I do need to do more squats. I do them about 2 times a week. (one heavy day, and one light) I wish I didn't hate doing them so much! hah

Edgewood92

Awards
up calories to 3500
make your the mount your taking in is real. alot fo guys i seepos tyah im getting in about 3000 cals then i see an example of there diet for the day and its liek 2500.
look into changing up your worouts , confusing the body will help it grow.
google DC trainning, its a decent style. i do somthing liek it but more reps, more sets and i go for about 1hr per workout.
also maybe a good preWO may help out? like ASGT or N2KTS.]

eat CALORIE DENSE foods like nuts/ peanutbutter etc.
add oliv oil to everything you can!
**** i even pour in 1-2oz in my protein drinks.

Thanks man. I'll have to check that workout out. I think the main thing is I'm not getting enough protein. I've counted calories for awhile and i'm eating at least 3,000-3,200 a day but I just checked the protein and i'm getting around 145 grams per day. I've been taking that jack3d as a preworkout, I love it!

Diabolik

Diabolik

Awards
  • Established
Definitely up the protein and cals like everyone said. Ironically I started bulking at 168lbs around aug/09 and 6 months later I was around 185-190 natural. Within a year all my shirts were freakin tight on me and some wouldn't even fit.

I used to hate squats and avoided them like the plague. Once I actually learned how to do them properly with good form, I became addicted. Do leg presses too, that'll help a lot with getting your squat strength up.

You gotta be patient and have realistic goals. If you have unrealistic goals you won't reach them and you will become disappointed and more likely not put in 100% effort.

Last thing: ​Take advantage of being 19!!!

aceroni

Awards
Maybe you're training TOO OFTEN? Try training less per week. Just get in there.. Leg day, Push day, Pull day. Throw an off day inbetween each one of those.. maybe do mostly compound movements focusing on strength. try not to be in the gym for more than an hour at a time though. Maybe drink dextrose and whey WHILE you train, then when you get home, hitup 50-100 grams fast digesting carbs like white rice and 40-70 gs protein.