Mass Gainers?

djrodimus

djrodimus

Awards
anyone use them / had success?

I'm going into my second bulking phase and was thinking about adding one to my stack.

First bulking phase was all food cals but it took to long...

lonewolf0420

lonewolf0420

Awards
  • Established
Mass gainers, are just supplements chalked full of calories. I'd say just eat more solid food. If its hard to get that extra food in, then a mass gainer might be useful.

djrodimus

djrodimus

Awards
thats the problem im having. i dont have the time to eat that much anymore lol. i work in corporate IT and my work day is just to busy now for me to chow down 2 extra meals )-:

lonewolf0420

lonewolf0420

Awards
  • Established
The it sounds like a mass gainer would be up your alley.

Don't have any recommendations for any, but just be careful pay attention to the ingredients. Lots of them are just literally full of $h!t.

Ession

Awards
Hey man,

I think you should make a custom mass gainer at trueprotein . Com

just mix some protein with Swedish oat startch and some flax seed or something similar. Great meal replacement. Or you could buy metabolic drive complete from t nation

southpaw23

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

I'm going into my second bulking phase and was thinking about adding one to my stack.

Used Stealth from VPX and enjoyed the results.

notanymore

Awards
  • Established
I use Universal Real Gains. Cheap and not chalked full of sugar like most other mass gainers.

ZamaMan

ZamaMan

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Make your own. Here's mine

2 cups milk
2 scoops protein
1 cup oats
2 tbsp peanut butter
1tbsp olive oilve oil

comes out around 1000 cals. Depends how i do it. I just put it all in the blender and blend it up and it actually doesn't taste half bad.

djrodimus

djrodimus

Awards
thanks guys for the suggestions i will check out both Stealth and Universal Real Gains.

as for the suggestions to make my own...again its an issue of time. i'd rather pay for it to come in a can (-:

cbr1000rr

cbr1000rr

Awards
  • Established
the new muscle juice is pretty good im using it now. less sugar then the previous version

ZamaMan

ZamaMan

Banned
Awards
  • Established
thanks guys for the suggestions i will check out both Stealth and Universal Real Gains.

as for the suggestions to make my own...again its an issue of time. i'd rather pay for it to come in a can (-:
yeah it may take 5 min or so to blend it all but throwing down thousand of calories of dextrose sugar is not the best carb source. But I did manage to gain some decent muscle on a weight gainer and lots of hamburgers when I first started working out.

oufinny

oufinny

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

There are some very good options out there that are not overly expensive. Universal real gains has a good ingredient label, Beverly International Mass Maker (need to take two servings and is not the cheapest), ON Pro Complex Gainer or something that would be inexpensive and give you a protein blend.

Yes I work for LG BUT this is a great way to get A LOT for your money: LG Lipotropic Protein (2 scoops per serving), LG Perfect Carb (1 scoop per serving) and then throw in some Oat Flour that you can get at the store. This will easily give you 55 grams P, well over 60+ carbs depending on the amount of oat flour/perfect carb and then throw in about 3-4 fish oil pills for fats. Depends on your budget and time being an issue you may want a pre-mixed one but at least if you make it yourself you know what you are getting.

linus420

Awards
Make sure to watch how much fat is in the shakes. I prefer true mass by BSN I seen the most lean mass from that, if I used Muscle JUICE it put a little belly on me lol

crashcrash29

Awards
Best one I have had with the best results and easiest to put down because of great taste

Optimum Serious Mass Chocolate

Calories 1250
Calories From Fat 40
Total Fat 4.5g 7%*
Saturated Fat 1.5g 8%*
Cholesterol 80mg 27%
Total Carbohydrate 252g 84%*
Dietary Fiber 4g 16%*
Sugars 20g †
Protein 50g 100%*
Vitamin A 5000IU 100%
Vitamin C 60mg 100%
Vitamin D 200IU 50%
Vitamin E 30IU 100%
Thiamin 4.8mg 320%
Riboflavin 4mg 235%
Niacin 50mg 250%
Vitamin B6 5mg 250%
Folic Acid 400mcg 100%
Vitamin B12 10mcg 167%
Biotin 300mcg 100%
Pantothenic Acid 25mg 250%
Calcium 590mg 59%
Iron 8mg 44%
Phosphorus 430mg 43%
Iodine 150mcg 100%
Magnesium 140mg 35%
Zinc 15mg 100%
Selenium 70mcg 100%
Copper 1.6mg 80%
Manganese 2mg 100%
Chromium 120mcg 100%
Molybdenum 75mcg 100%
Sodium 410mg 17%
Potassium 1560mg 45%

Creatine Monohydrate 1g †
L-Glutamine 500mg †
Glutamine Peptides 500mg †
Choline (As Choline Bitartrate) 250mg †

Other Ingredients:
Maltodextrin, Protein Blend (Whey Protein Concentrate, Calcium Caseinate, Egg Albumin, Sweet Dairy Whey), Cocoa (Processed With Alkali), Natural And Artificial Flavor, Vitamin And Mineral Blend (DiPotassium Phosphate, Magnesium Aspartate, DiCalcium Phosphate, Calcium Citrate, Ascorbic Acid, Niacinamide, Zinc Citrate, Beta Carotene, D-Calcium Pantothenate, D-Alpha Tocopheryl Succinate, Selenomethionine, Copper Gluconate, Ferrous Fumarate, Manganese Amino Acid Chelate, Thiamin Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Chromium Polynicotinate, Folic Acid, Biotin, Molybdenum Amino Acid Chelate, Cholecalciferol, Potassium Iodide, Cyanocobalamin), Acesulfame Potassium, Lecithin, Medium Chain Triglycerides.

Allergen Information: Contains Milk, Egg, Wheat (Glutamine Peptides) And Soy (Lecithin) Ingredients.

Inositol 250mg †
PABA (Para-Aminobenzoic Acid) 5mg

AutobotVu

Awards
I heard on supplementreview about "up your mass" you can maybe read up on it but I havnt tried it

primetime74

primetime74

Awards
I heard on supplementreview about "up your mass" you can maybe read up on it but I havnt tried it
Up Your Mass by MHP is a good product. Ive used it a few times. The only thing I find it doesnt mix quite as well as other gainers.

My favorite weight gainer is Cyto Gainer by Cyto Sport. I use my weight gainer immediately after my work outs.

NPC Ohio

NPC Ohio

Awards
Agree with all the make your own and:eek:r real food. Trust me, if you want it bad enough? You'll take the time to cook and pack meals. You can put a whole food meal down in 5 minutes. I do it all the time.

No supplement will ever compare to real food. Period.

Andrewww

Awards
I've tried up your mass and real gains. I liked the taste of real gains better, but both yielded pretty good results.

hypo

hypo

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Just make your own! Mass gainers tend to use a lot of sugar because it is cheap, and who knows how many fillers they contain (the bigger the container, the more they can sell it for). If you really need to store it in a container just run some oats through the food processor, and mix the powder with whey protein. Instant low GI meal replacement shake powder.

Or how about including more fats into your diet? As long as they are unsaturated fats it will be good for you. Peanut butter, nuts, etc are very calorie dense, and tend to be paired with protein as well.

marinecorpman

Awards
I recently bought cytogainer. It it's great when you add in a scoop of peanut butter, a banana, some ice and put it all in a blender

JRob23

JRob23

Awards
  • Established

Didn't read through the whole thread but just make your own. Cheaper, cleaner and an all around better way to go imo ;)

sw bill

Awards
the new muscle juice is pretty good im using it now. less sugar then the previous version
BS, I just bought a tub from NP and it has 60g of sugar per serving. Makes me frickin sick everytime i try it. Never would have bought it if i would have noticed that first.

Meyer Bros

Awards
the weight gainers with the most solid ingredient profiles that ive seen are MHP Up Your Mass and ON Pro Complex, they have a little less calories than others like ON Serious Mass(which is pretty good too) but higher amounts of protein and Up Your Mass is also great because the carbs come from mainly oats, unlike most others which use maltodextrin. It is true that making your own weight gainer is healthier and more effective, but you could add a few ingredients to those two quality weight gainers and easily come up with something healthy and over 1000 calories. bodybuilding . com / fun / proteinshakes - this is a great article on various protein/weight gainer shake recipes, sorry, i cant post links yet

votum

votum

Awards
  • Established
Here's what I do...have gained about 15 pounds since I got home from Iraq.

Morning shake and evening shake, right before bed.

Morning: 2 tbsp PB, 1cup oats, 2cups milk, 1 banana, 1 scoop protein, 3 whole eggs
about 80G Pro, 120G Cho, 40G fat, 1200 cals. Its about 5 cups blended, some days takes me an hour to drink, some days 1 minute, depends on how I feel.

Bedtime: 2 cups milk, 1 cup cottage cheese, 1 cup greek yogurt, 1 spoon of some berry ice cream.
about the same macro, 1000 calories.

I then eat whenever I feel like it throughout the day, mostly clean. I eat lots of chili and ham sandwiches, lots of cheese, spinach, milk, etc. I have a couple beers with my post workout meals because I like it, and I just got home lol.

votum

votum

Awards
  • Established
But anyway the point of my post was make your own weight gainer. The purchased ones are too expensive, youll be spending like 100 a month on them, they dont taste good, and most have **** profiles, like 80% maltodextrin and such. Oats, eggs, milk, cottage cheese, yogurt, PB, etc, just throw it in a blender and you have a HEALTHY mass gainer

crashcrash29

Awards
Here is my home made gainer

Whole Milk
Yogurt
Penut Butter
Oats
a few raw eggs (not bad for you as once thought)
Strawberries
Bananas
Lowfat ice cream

Sometimes I throw in creatine mono and fish oil

The ice cream yogurt and fruit make it taste awesome

CaponeCEO

CaponeCEO

Awards
  • Established
thats the problem im having. i dont have the time to eat that much anymore lol. i work in corporate IT and my work day is just to busy now for me to chow down 2 extra meals )-:
Buy a small cooler and bring food with you all day. Prepare your meals so that you can eat them hot or cold. I know people who have jobs that really give them not much time to eat and they still manage.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
best weight gainer/mass gainer that i have taken, and i have taken many, is ISO MASS.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
musclemaker Company Promotions 3
louis19 Weight Loss 9
riseabove5 Nutrition / Health 18
double s Supplements 50
dmax79 Natural Bodybuilding 17