Workout Routine

ItsShane

Awards
So im a new guy on here, been reading for a while and decided to join and make my first post! In this first post i want to add my current workout plan that I am using. I am lifting every two days and taking the third day off. During this third day off i do HITT. I am 5'9" and about 165 pounds. Here is my current workout:

Biceps/triceps:
Barbell Curl
Dumbbell curl
Cross Body Hammer Curl
Incline Dumbbell Curl
Individual Cable Curl

Triceps Pushdown V-bar
Barbell lying triceps extension (skull krushers)
Cable Overhead Triceps Extension
Triceps Pushdown-Rope

Chest
Bench Press
Dumbbell Press
Dumbbell Flys
Incline Bench
Incline dumbbells
Machine Fly

Legs/Forearms
Squat
Leg Press
Leg Extensions
Lying Leg Curls
Seated Calf Raise
Standing Calf Raise

Reverse Barbell Preacher Curls
Barbell Behind Back Wrist Curl
Wrist Roller

Back
Deadlift
Tbar Row
Cable Seated Row
Wide Grip Lat Pulldown
One-Arm Dumbbell Row
Back Extensions (Weighted)

Shoulders
Machine Shoulder Press
Dumbbell Shoulder Press
Dumbbell Lateral Raise
Cable Internal Rotation
Dumbbell Shrugs
Cable Upright Row

On Every third day i do HITT. This is the routine:

x6
60sec sprint
120sec walk

I am trying to eat as much as i can every two hours, as i am trying to bulk up and gain as much muscle as i can and become lean as well.

These are the supps i am currently taking:

Syntha 6 Protein
Multi
Micronized Creatine
Glutamine

So there you have it. I have been workout out a total of 1 month so far and thus far i have noticed some good gains i would say. I have toned up a fair amount and have leaned out it seems. I work out as intensely as i can and lift as hard as i can as well. I hope to hit a solid 180lbs by the end of this year, with a bf % of around 10%. I am currently looking into the LG Trifecta Stack or Natabol Stack, but at the moment i have researched either enough to decide what is right for my goals. I will post up a picture :sucks: when i get a chance.

Critiques are welcome!

bkoguy07

bkoguy07

Awards
  • Established
How many sets and reps you do for each lift?

bkoguy07

bkoguy07

Awards
  • Established
Yeah I mean, that could be a bit much for some people, but my workout is really similar...

My barbell lifts are 5x5 though with progressively increasing weight. That way I can build strength on those lifts and shoot more for hypertrophy on the other exercises. Also I wouldn't do forearms the day before back because you incorporate them a lot in pulling movements, maybe put them at the end of your back workout, you'll find them a lot harder to do and a good way to burn out. I would also move the trap exercise to back day because I find deadlifting makes them sore as **** and it wouldn't be good to completely obliterate them the day after with shoulders..

My workout is mon-fri though, and it looks like you have a solid recomp with the HIIT that will help keep you lean. Make sure your diet is on point and your consuming a little over maintenance along with lower fats (but healthy fats)

SRS2000

Awards
  • Established
That's a crapload of volume as far as I'm concerned. I wouldn't recommend this to any natural trainee who is trying to gain size. If you are set on that routine, go ahead but I think trying to do all that is going to require you to have to eat even more just to offset the volume of these workouts. You are also going to have problems trying to bulk and get leaner at the same time. If you really want to gain weight there will be some fat gain that goes with it (although you can keep it to a minimum with a good diet).

GeekPoop

GeekPoop

Awards
  • Established
get liek 2 compound lifts n 2 accessory lifts...

like squat / dead lift

than do

leg press / lunges
n
leg extensions / leg curls, or something of that sort.

GeekPoop

GeekPoop

Awards
  • Established
mmmhhhmmm...beast up on those compounds and go as hard as u can if u decide to switch up ur routine.
yeah hit em hard n heavy. most of the focus should be on them IMO.

SRS2000

Awards
  • Established
get liek 2 compound lifts n 2 accessory lifts...

like squat / dead lift

than do

leg press / lunges
n
leg extensions / leg curls, or something of that sort.
Agreed. I would recommend something like this if you are training 4 days per week:
Squat, 1 quad exercise, 1 hamstring exercise, 1 calf exercise, 1 ab exercise
Bench press, DB pressing movement, 1-2 tricep exercises
Deadlift, rowing exercise, pull-ups, 1-2 bicep exercises, abs
Overhead press, lateral raise or upright row, rear laterals or face pulls, 1 tricep exercise

For the first movement I would do 3-5 sets of 5 starting with a moderate weight and adding weight each week. For all the exercises after the first one, do 3-4 sets of 10-20 reps. This builds strength with the sets of 5 on the main exercises while still having enough volume to build size. This basic type of set-up has always yielded better results for me than doing exclusively high reps or medium reps or low reps.

GeekPoop

GeekPoop

Awards
  • Established
Agreed. I would recommend something like this if you are training 4 days per week:
Squat, 1 quad exercise, 1 hamstring exercise, 1 calf exercise, 1 ab exercise
Bench press, DB pressing movement, 1-2 tricep exercises
Deadlift, rowing exercise, pull-ups, 1-2 bicep exercises, abs
Overhead press, lateral raise or upright row, rear laterals or face pulls, 1 tricep exercise

For the first movement I would do 3-5 sets of 5 starting with a moderate weight and adding weight each week. For all the exercises after the first one, do 3-4 sets of 10-20 reps. This builds strength with the sets of 5 on the main exercises while still having enough volume to build size. This basic type of set-up has always yielded better results for me than doing exclusively high reps or medium reps or low reps.
MMmm music to my ears!

OP, look up 5x5 progression its what SRS is getting at with the 3-5 sets n adding weight each week.

bkoguy07

bkoguy07

Awards
  • Established
I wouldn't worry about the volume, I had that pretty much same workout with great success. Just dial down the intensity a little.. Like you said, you've been making gains thus far.

swollwilliams

swollwilliams

Awards
  • Established
you are young, 1 month in to this routine, so if it's working, stay with it. eventually i think it could lead to over-training, some joint/tendon problems. but for now, keep at it and making gains. when the progress seems to be coming to a halt, it's time to change things up.

ItsShane

Awards
Thanks for the input guys. For some reason it doesn't seem like im over doing it when im in the gym. Im usually there 30-45mins, and i feel like im not in there long enough compared to most of the guys there. I will admit, i am pooped after a workout though, and always feel like i got a good workout in. But then again, im a new guy and only 21 so i have a lot to learn. I will definitely look into a 5x5 routine when i feel as if though this one is starting to plateau.

Honestly, i feel like im lacking in the nutrition/diet department. I have been searching for an end all be all of nutrition guide, with all the good foods to eat and meal plans, ect. But much to my dismay i haven't been successful. If anyone can point me to a literary source, internet source, ect on the fundamentals of nutrition, what are good foods to eat, pre/post workout nutrition ect. I would be greatly in your debt.

bkoguy07

bkoguy07

Awards
  • Established
you do that workout in 30-45 minutes? You must be flying...

Also incorporate some close grip bp 3x10 on arm day (triceps)

Xerxes

Awards
  • Established
I like your workout volume and intensity, I am also doing the same kind of lifting right now, but I'm on cycle and lifting 5-6 days per week.

I would suggest adding in some Fish Oil to your supplement list. Its great for your health (overall health, joints, cholesterol levels etc.) and it will help you to get that those essential fats that you need to pack on some muscle.

SRS2000

Awards
  • Established
What exactly is your split? You list a bunch of body parts in a row then say you lift two days then do HIIT the third day. If you are doing half of that on one workout day it would equate to 45-60 sets. How are you doing that in 30-45 minutes? If you are doing that much in that short a time, you likely aren't using enough weight on anything to make significant progress. If I'm misinterpreting your split, then let me know.

Tone

Tone

Awards
  • Established
too many exercises in my opinion.... for chest I do flat bench, Inclinde, decline, flys and I can't move my arms after that.... Honestly if you can do that much volume, you aren't training heavy enough, IMO.

ItsShane

Awards
Sample

Monday
Biceps/triceps:
Barbell Curl
Dumbbell curl
Cross Body Hammer Curl
Incline Dumbbell Curl
Individual Cable Curl

Triceps Pushdown V-bar
Barbell lying triceps extension (skull krushers)
Cable Overhead Triceps Extension
Triceps Pushdown-Rope

Tuesday
Chest
Bench Press
Dumbbell Press
Dumbbell Flys
Incline Bench
Incline dumbbells
Machine Fly

Wednesday
HIIT

Thursday
[/U]
Legs/Forearms
Squat
Leg Press
Leg Extensions
Lying Leg Curls
Seated Calf Raise
Standing Calf Raise

Reverse Barbell Preacher Curls
Barbell Behind Back Wrist Curl
Wrist Roller

Friday
Back
Deadlift
Tbar Row
Cable Seated Row
Wide Grip Lat Pulldown
One-Arm Dumbbell Row
Back Extensions (Weighted)

Saturday
HIIT

Sunday
Shoulders
Machine Shoulder Press
Dumbbell Shoulder Press
Dumbbell Lateral Raise
Cable Internal Rotation
Dumbbell Shrugs
Cable Upright Row

Then start Biceps on Monday, and then Hiit on tuesday. With this rotation, i hit every body part isometrically once a week. Let me know what you think.

Im also thinking about completely going on the HST workout plan. All comments and concerns are welcome. Thanks for looking.

GeekPoop

GeekPoop

Awards
  • Established
5 exercises for biceps and 5 for back? idk man i disslike this and already said so, do your own thing

ItsShane

Awards
If its too much can someone tell me what to cut out?

Xerxes

Awards
  • Established
Personally I like high volume, heavy weight exercises. If you can do it, feel comfortable with it and recover in enough time then go for it. I think some people are making the point that with the massive amount of exercises you have per routine, whether or not you are lifting heavy enough weights to make any solid mass gains.

You are trying to gain mass correct? If so try cutting down to 4-5 exercises per routine (some people go as low as 3!), with weight as heavy as you can go. Maximum hypertrophy comes (for most exercises) at 8 reps. If you decide to cut down make sure that you keep a lot of the compound exercise movements in your routines. Compound movements are great mass builders because they work lots of muscle groups simultaneously. Or you can keep what you have and switch it up in a few weeks. I usually changed my routine every 4-5 weeks. Switching up exercise routines helps to avoid plateauing and works the whole "muscle confusion" angle.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
i used do to a program similar to yours. now i rotate between 3 programs every 5 weeks about.

program one:
Mon - chest/back 10 to 12 sets for each
Tues - Legs - 10 to 12 sets
Wed - OFF
Thurs - Arms 10 sets each (bi and tri)
Friday - Legs (Deads, squats, leg press HEAVY)
Sat - Chest/back
Sun - OFF

Program 2
5x5

Program 3 is similar to yours
Mon - chest with little tris
tues - back with little bis
wed off
thurs - legs
friday - arms
sat and sun off

i dont do shoulders cause i have shoulder problems, and even when i do them i dont see much growth. and my shoulders get sore when i do chest and some back (reverse flys and stuff) and they are proportioned to the rest of my body so i dont worry.

ItsShane

Awards
Personally I like high volume, heavy weight exercises. If you can do it, feel comfortable with it and recover in enough time then go for it. I think some people are making the point that with the massive amount of exercises you have per routine, whether or not you are lifting heavy enough weights to make any solid mass gains.

You are trying to gain mass correct? If so try cutting down to 4-5 exercises per routine (some people go as low as 3!), with weight as heavy as you can go. Maximum hypertrophy comes (for most exercises) at 8 reps. If you decide to cut down make sure that you keep a lot of the compound exercise movements in your routines. Compound movements are great mass builders because they work lots of muscle groups simultaneously. Or you can keep what you have and switch it up in a few weeks. I usually changed my routine every 4-5 weeks. Switching up exercise routines helps to avoid plateauing and works the whole "muscle confusion" angle.
Yes i am going for as much Hypertrophy as possible. This is another reason i was thing of doing the HST program, since it is strictly for Hypertrophy. I want to also gain strength, but i try to lift as heavy as possible. Keep in mind i have never lifted before now, and im pretty small to begin with. For example on my last leg day these were my stats for squat/leg press:

Squat: (Haven't done my 1RM)

Warm-up: 95lbs x10
Set 1: 195 x 10
Set 2: 205 x 10
Set 3: 215 x 8

Leg press:
(Assuming the machine alone is ~45lbs)
Warm-up: 135 x 10
Set 1: 225 x 10
Set 2: 275 x 10
Set 3 : 295 x 10

This is the end of my first month, and i feel that i am lifting as hard as i can. Also, can anyone shed some light on a good place to find proper nutrition guides and good foods/meals? Thanks.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
i can tell you from personal experience that HST did not do anything for me. i actually lost strength. but thats just my experience. i need a higher volume when it comes to weight training. a great starter program is the 5x5. reason is because it has all the main compound lifts. if you do this program all out for about 2 months, you will see great gains as well as your newb gains and be off to a great start.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
If its too much can someone tell me what to cut out?
Why not cut out a few bicep exercises, and do back/biceps on same day? Chest/Triceps too. I think 1 day of isolation training for arms is too much.

For lifts other than arms, I like the comment about compound/accessory lift, focusing on the compound first as hard as you can go. Good advice. For example, on leg day I like (in this order): Squats / RDL / Leg Press or Extensions / Ham curls then move on to 3 exercises for abs. For legs, I like 5 sets each exercise. 3 sets each for each ab exercise.

Also, training order could switch a bit. If you like a 4 day split it can be something like this: Chest/tris | Back/bis | day off | Legs/abs | Shoulders/traps | day or two off

HST is also great for gains, when followed properly. I like going back and forth between these two types of training. HST gets me solid gains, and fullbody/circuit training is also great for conditioning, boosts the metabolism and is great cardio. I love HST training when cutting too. I feel it works the best at retaining muscle and the metabolism boost helps while cutting.

If you go for too much weight during an HST program, gains can come quick but taper off fast and then you head into overtraining territory quickly... I wouldn't recommend HST/fullbody training unless you're dedicated to doing it properly

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
goal: mass and strength. most importantly mass

Monday - Max Effort Lower Body

Deadlift - Warm up with sets of 5 pyramiding up to 2 sets of 3 to 5

Box Squat - 3 sets of 5

Barbell Rows - 4 sets of 6 to 8

Leg Extension - 3-4 sets of 10-15

Calves - 4 sets of 10-20

Weighted Decline Sit-ups - 4 sets of 10-20

Wednesday - ME Upper Body

Bench Press, Incline Barbell, Power Rack Incline, or Floor Presses may be used and/or alternated each ME UB workout. Warm up with sets of 5 until you reach your 3 rep range. Complete 2 to 3 sets of 3 then work at least 1 single in with a good negative.

Close Grip Bench - 3-4 sets of 6 to 8

Standing Front Military Barbell Press - 4 sets of 8

Weighted Dips - 4 sets of 8

Friday - Dynamic Effort Lower Body

Deadlift - 4 sets of 10-15

Jump Squats with Barbell (loaded or empty) - 4 sets of 10-15

Pull Ups - 4 sets of 8

Barbell Shrugs - 4 sets of 8

Seated Leg Curl - 3 sets of 10-15

Leg Press - 4 sets of 10-20

Calves - 4 sets of 10-20

Saturday - DE Upper Body

Incline DB Press - 4 sets of 10-15

Incline Cable Flys - 4 sets of 15

Incline Skull Crushes (keep elbows in, lower weight behind head for stretch) - 4 sets of 8 to failure

Barbell Curls - 4 sets of 8 to failure

i sometimes throw in more arm work, and i always change up my routine but this is the one ive been on for a few weeks now and i love it

AmyFetzer

Awards
good ones guys I am going to follow this let me know how it works for each of you!!!!!!

ItsShane

Awards
Why not cut out a few bicep exercises, and do back/biceps on same day? Chest/Triceps too. I think 1 day of isolation training for arms is too much.

For lifts other than arms, I like the comment about compound/accessory lift, focusing on the compound first as hard as you can go. Good advice. For example, on leg day I like (in this order): Squats / RDL / Leg Press or Extensions / Ham curls then move on to 3 exercises for abs. For legs, I like 5 sets each exercise. 3 sets each for each ab exercise.

Also, training order could switch a bit. If you like a 4 day split it can be something like this: Chest/tris | Back/bis | day off | Legs/abs | Shoulders/traps | day or two off

HST is also great for gains, when followed properly. I like going back and forth between these two types of training. HST gets me solid gains, and fullbody/circuit training is also great for conditioning, boosts the metabolism and is great cardio. I love HST training when cutting too. I feel it works the best at retaining muscle and the metabolism boost helps while cutting.

If you go for too much weight during an HST program, gains can come quick but taper off fast and then you head into overtraining territory quickly... I wouldn't recommend HST/fullbody training unless you're dedicated to doing it properly
So for example for legs you would do the following????:

Squat:
Warm-up: 135x5
160x5
170x5
180x(2-3)
190x(2-3)
200x(2-3)

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
you need to have heavy bench, squats, and deads in your routine no matter what routine u are doing unless ur goal is not mass and strength. i also like to do my normal chest one day, back the next split but do like this. and this is just an example for chest that i rotate in my routines so i dont plateau. its not my number one choice.

warmup first

Chest - Flat bench press (BB) - 4 sets of 3 to 6 reps
Incline DB - 3 sets of 6 to 10
Incline DB Fly - 2 sets of 12 to 15
Seated machine Fly - 2 sets of 10

after this i do a burn set on a hammer strength machine like decline, flat, or incline. ill do 3 sets. each set is done back to back with reps of 7.

I cycle through probably 5 different routines that i have created that work best for me from personal experience and through the help of ppl on AM. My favorite is this WHEN I AM TRYING TO BULK MY ARMS ALOT. i only do this for about 3 weeks then go back to a normal split

mon - chest/tris 9 sets of chest, 10 sets of tris
tues - back/bis 9 sets of back, 10 sets of bis
wed - OFF
thurs - 4 sets of flat bench, 4 sets of squats, 4 sets of deads
Friday - OFF
Sat - 8 sets of Bis, 8 sets of tris
Sun - OFF

my favorite workout routine is this one right here

Mon - Flat Bench, Row, Squats and Dead (i shrug the bar at the top),
Tues - OFF
Wed - Straight Leg Deads, Incline DB press, Lat pulldown, 5 sets of Bis, 5 sets of tris
Thurs - Front Squats, Leg Press, calves
Fri - OFF
Sat - DB press (flat), seated rows, V bar pulldown, incline flys,
Sun - OFF

these are just a few routines i rotate through. some may think these routines are crap, some may love them. i love them cause i see results from them. especially when u rotate through a few routines every few weeks. of course i do normal splits like chest mon - back tues...etc but its important to get rest and change up your routine so u dont plateau. i hope this helps

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
one reason why i dont believe it doing normal splits is because i dont like to kill one muscle in one day. once u do 4 heavy sets of squats, ur legs are pretty tired already. well mine are at least. so u dont go as hard on deads and leg press and leg ext. cause ur tired from squats. so i like to spread it out a bit but make sure i go 150% on every lift. and dude, i used to be your weight. and im your height. maybe a half inch shorter. so i know where u r coming from. doing all those lifts is a waste of time. less = more. i remember in highschool i use to do what u do and i never got thicker, just leaner. if u wanna get thick and put on mass, listen to the ppl on here. we all didnt wake up one day big. we all have experienced the struggles at one time or another.

ItsShane

Awards
R1balla, thanks for the help man, i really appreciate it. Yea, so far its been 2 months now and ive seen a good change in my body comp. and good gain of muscle. So far my biceps are coming in nicely, but my biggest and quickest muscles to come in are my traps and chest. Im loving the routines that people have posted, and im constantly changing up my routine. I hope to keep making strong gains, and now winter is coming up! So im about to order either the Trifecta stack or Natabolic stack and put in work these next few months.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
So for example for legs you would do the following????:

Squat:
Warm-up: 135x5
160x5
170x5
180x(2-3)
190x(2-3)
200x(2-3)

Not what I do. I personally warm up with 15 rep sets. 2 of them. A weight that's fairly light and just gets the knees warmed up and the blood pumping.

I don't normally work in those rep ranges you've listed. I aim for 6-10 reps ATG. 4-5 working sets before moving on to leg press or extensions and then killing them there. I normally can't walk totally fine after, but my legs are ok for deadlifts and other compounds during the week. I don't do compounds that require legs the day after my leg day. I do clean + press on shoulder day which may be a day after, or 2 days after my leg day, depending.

I do RDL's the day before legs now. Chest/tris / Back/bis / Legs/abs / Shoulders+whatever is lacking then take a day off and repeat. This is what I'm doing now during a bulk though. Switching to DC soon and then HST.

I have to say, I normally don't like splits like this either, it's what I used to do yrs ago and I'm basically trying it again for something different/variation and for strength.