3 months off from working out???

Doubravkody

Awards
I just saw a video from ronnie coleman, and he said he is taken off 3 months from lifting, and has done it in the past....

is this a good idea?

Rhyno

Rhyno

Awards
  • Established
Unless you have a serious injury, then no, it would generally be a bad idea. Remember, Ronnie Coleman takes a lot of drugs to stay that big so different rules apply

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
very true. unless u juice alot, i wouldnt. i take a week off here and there but no way would i do 3 months unless i was always on some gym candy

gamer2be08

gamer2be08

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Hell, being off for 3 months on high amounts of GEAR is still going to effect you negatively....

brad1224

brad1224

Awards
  • Established
heard the same..i feel like 1 wk twice a yr would be the max in my mind

kingdong

kingdong

Awards
  • Established
You have to facter in the amount of weight he moves and his age. He probably needs the three months off for health reasons.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
i dont get it. if juice is so bad for you, how are these pro bodbuilders like ronnie and jay still alive?!?!?!!? haha

WILL DA BEAST

WILL DA BEAST

Awards
  • Established
i dont get it. if juice is so bad for you, how are these pro bodbuilders like ronnie and jay still alive?!?!?!!? haha
i think it's because they're in their prime. once they "retire" and live puny runt lives (like the rest of us :sgrin: ) some health problems will start to rise. also, some people respond to different drugs differently. maybe it won't hurt them at all. maybe it will kill them. there are lots of unknowns about "juice" and how it effects the body that we won't understand for a while probably.

gamer2be08

gamer2be08

Banned
Awards
  • Established
There is no known case of steroids causing death... If you died while on steroids, you died from a preexisting condition. There are people in their late 70's on gear and are doing just fine.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
. there are lots of unknowns about "juice" and how it effects the body that we won't understand for a while probably.
thats only true of the prohormones/designer steroids that were sold OTC. On all the human grade gear, there are tons of studies. your real risks are pretty much only

* Raising your BP
* lowering your HDL/raising your LDL
* causing liver stress (anadrol, dbol, var, etc)

All of those are pretty well manageable though through prescription and OTC meds. Remember that injectible testosterone has been around for almost 80 years now.

triton185

triton185

Awards
  • Established
There is no known case of steroids causing death... If you died while on steroids, you died from a preexisting condition. There are people in their late 70's on gear and are doing just fine.
Not sure if I agree with this logic. Preexisting conditions.....or do you mean that someone is predisposed to something? I am not sure what you mean. I can be predisposed to liver issues and kill my liver drinking while my buddy does the same and never has a liver problem......does not mean that drinking didn't cause my death just because I was predisposed to liver issues because if I had never drank then I may have had a healthy liver and no issues.

gamer2be08

gamer2be08

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Not sure if I agree with this logic. Preexisting conditions.....or do you mean that someone is predisposed to something? I am not sure what you mean. I can be predisposed to liver issues and kill my liver drinking while my buddy does the same and never has a liver problem......does not mean that drinking didn't cause my death just because I was predisposed to liver issues because if I had never drank then I may have had a healthy liver and no issues.
Im saying, someone may have an unknown liver condition or heart condition prior to steroid use. And when they take steroids, they aggravate that problem causing injury. If I go by your logic, "diet coke has aspartame. Aspartame is carcinogenic. 2 people drink diet coke daily. 1 of those individuals is more prone to getting cancer. He gets cancer and dies." That logic can be said about anything and everything in this world. Im still standing by steroids, even methyl orals can be used safely throughout a persons lifespan without it causing them serious medical issues.

SouthernCharm

SouthernCharm

Awards
  • Established
Hell all I know is if I took off 3 months from lifting I would probably lose 6-8 months worth of progress.... Size and strength and all

triton185

triton185

Awards
  • Established
I never said that PH/AAS were unsafe if done correctly. I am with you 100% on that one. What I am saying is that abuse (which is what we are talking about ie Ronnie Coleman) can take a predisposition and turn it into a condition that eventually kills you.

triton185

triton185

Awards
  • Established
Anyway, 3 months off? I could not do it! I have a shoulder problem right now and it is killing me that I have to eliminate pressing movements for a month.

SouthernCharm

SouthernCharm

Awards
  • Established
Anyway, 3 months off? I could not do it! I have a shoulder problem right now and it is killing me that I have to eliminate pressing movements for a month.
I am in your boat! I have a mild shoulder problem, so I am laying low on the pressing movements, but I am still trying to hit back biceps and abs hard. Also, I either "hyperextended" or sprained my knee a little over a week ago but it has been healing very quickly so I will be doing legs again sooner than my shoulders. I don't know if I could even FATHOM staying out of the gym for 3 months.... Maybe develop a new drug habit or something LOL

triton185

triton185

Awards
  • Established
I have stress fractures in one of the bones in my shoulder and have been stuggling with it for months because I have been stubborn but it just will not go away..........finally taking the drs advice and not using it.....it is actually getting better but it is going to be a long time before I can press. Really sucks....................................ok, sorry for sounding like a total Bi*ch.

SouthernCharm

SouthernCharm

Awards
  • Established
I really understand where you're coming from. When I was in high school I was in my buddy's car, we got in a wreck and I hurt the **** out of my wrist. Couldn't pull, couldn't push and all I could do was wait it out. The more you emphasize on rest the faster you'll be back on bro.

triton185

triton185

Awards
  • Established
I know.......hard to do but after months of my shoulder waking me up at night, I have finally gotten the message....

kingdong

kingdong

Awards
  • Established
Lets see how old Ronnie and Jay live to be. Let's not forget that Arnold had heart surgery, and I hear that he was no where near as juiced as a lot of these guys.

CaponeCEO

CaponeCEO

Awards
  • Established
Pro body builders IMO are genetic freaks to start with. They were big before they started juicing to be competitors. You can tell by the size of their bone structures. That dense/large of bone structure isn't common. All of your big framed males are at genetic risks for certain health conditions including cardiovascular issues such as HTN and MI's. In my experience you can try to make yourself as healthy as possible but you can't start stalling when your death comes calling. Ronnie Coleman is prob on a hell of a ton of juice but hopefully his bank account is well inflated as well. 3 months off for these guys could just mean 3 months off from competitionesk training and just doing simple work outs.

zachwienandt

zachwienandt

Awards
This past fall i shattered my right hand and had to have surgery to pin it back together, couldn't really lift for about 2 and a half months. After a few weeks, i started putting slings around my forearms to do bi's, tri's, and shoulder raises but i had to neglect a lot of major lifts. I lost about 20lbs, but i also ran a lot to keep the muscle mass i was losing from becoming flab. Wouldn't recommend taking that kind of time off voluntarily. The gains came back quick, but it's not worth what you lose. Like a lot of people said, pro bodybuilders are on a lot of things that are pretty hard on your body, not to mention their training is insane. These guys have doctors dosing their juice and a boatload of other supps to keep their kidneys and livers from outright shutting down. You can get away with juicing with minimal health problems if you have the money and the knowledge to do it right, but a lot of us don't. Sure, steroids don't kill you outright and its highly unlikely they'll kill a healthy person but you have to think about down the road, when you're 60 and you're liver is shot or your kidneys are only 50%. I'm sure that's why these pros take the time off, because there is a doctor somewhere who knows how to keep these guys in their prime. My two cents.

SpargelJanusz

SpargelJanusz

Awards
  • Established
Like, Andreas Munzer (Muenzer, to be exact) did not die of steroid abuse. His heart went to 600 grams by natural causes.

The 290 - 300 lbs onstage guys from today will, without exception, suffer mightily for what they did do their bodies, trust me on that.

chocolatemilk

chocolatemilk

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Man you guys are hardcore on working out...

I take 2 months off at times and feel the benefits. My body relaxes my muscles loosen up it just feels good once in a while. My diet isn't so strict neither is my lifestyle so mentally I'm relaxed too--I just feel good doing it sometimes in the year. And for me, I may lose a little progress from taking off but in 2-3 weeks of starting back up I'm back at the level of where I left off.

The stress on your body from working out all year round especially if you are doing high volume training is IMO not good for the joints and the body. Some breaks (even if it be months) are very much needed to get your body off the stress of lifting once in a while.

bkoguy07

bkoguy07

Awards
  • Established
I occasionally take 2 weeks off probably every 6-8 months. never 3 months