Trying to bulk but can't seem to get anywhere.

Jonny68847

Awards
I have been lifting for the past 3 year, 4 days a week. most of the time I run burn outs, 5 stations 5 sets 15 to 20 reps. I am long for an extra boost. I am 28 and i am 6'1" 155lbs and i can't seem to get over 163lbs. I have tried weight gainers and whey protein but to no avail. any thoughts?:damnit1:

Lately i have been looking at maybe something like 5 deca zol.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
15 to 20 reps is NOT going to bulk you up. try the 5x5 or HST workout programs to get your low rep, compound lifts started. im currently on HST right now and this is the first time i have broken a sweat during training (other than cardio). main thing u can do to bulk (naturally) is to eat more than u ever have in your life, even foods high in fat, cause u are way under weight for your size if ur looking for the bodybuilder look ya know? sleep well. for sleep, i like to take ZMA cause it also increases testosterone while u sleep and thats when u grow. as far as weight gainers, i had powers as the main supply. i make my own and add in one to two scoops of whey protein.i use milk, 2 scoops of whey, ice cream, oatmeal oats, banana, eggs, yogurt, berries all in one shake. tastes amazing. drink this as a part of breakfast, make a lighter shake post workout, and a light shake but high in protein at night. do this, as well as eating your butt off during the day, proper training like i previously said and proper sleep (at least around 7 to 8 hours). i like to get around 9 to 10. good luck man. PM me or post on here for any other info. :D

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
as far as a PH, I HIGHLY SUGGEST NOT TO only because i know many ppl who use juice as a staple to bodybuilding. i wont go into detail unless u wanna hear, but i, as well as most ppl on here will also, to get ur diet down and training down for at least a year before u even think of a steroid. and deca related stuff isnt going to do anything unless u stack it with something fyi. at least thats how it is for me and every1 i know personally.

GeekPoop

GeekPoop

Awards
  • Established
keep cals up and reps low.
5x5 vs 3x10, those 5 extra reps arent going to make you any bigger

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
if ur getting 4 grand worth of cals, even if it is fat, u would be more weight.

Jonny68847

Awards
All of the men in my family are skinny like me. But a lot of the cal. Are't good

HereToStudy

HereToStudy

Primordial Performance Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
All of the men in my family are skinny like me. But a lot of the cal. Are't good

Then you should focus on having a much better diet previous to any PH discussion. If the cal. are not good, then I am sure you are not getting the proper nutrition that your body needs to maximize your gains. Particularly you should check and see if you are getting enough protein, but don't forget to get a good balance of Carbs and Fats as well. If I had 4,000 bad calories, I would be huge, and not in a way Id like to flex.

maddog28

Awards
  • Established
eat a ton of protien man nd try taking some creatine ive been working on abulk for football ive gone from 190-200 in about 3 weeks im taking jack3d and neovar creatine... i eat 5 meals a day breakfast , brunch , lunch ,linner,dinner and b4 i go to bed i drink a casien protien shake... eat almonds or nuts eat a cup a day for a snack its real easy to do nd its like 780 clories 28g protien nd its got good fats in it that you need.

quick9000

quick9000

Awards
a nutritionist will be able to tell you the right simple/complex carb mix at certain times of days would be ideal for your genetics and goal...this seems to be something that every varies widely on.

urbanski

urbanski

Awards
  • Established
every nutritionist i've spoken with kept wanting me to cut back calories and fat...they dont get trained in nor do they teach "bulk". they're good in "diets". so i dont think OP should seek a nutritionist advice. Likewise, only through trial and error can you find the right timing for carbs for your particular body. fortunately unless i get over 300gm carbs a day i dont bloat...and timing makes no matter to me. the OP has to carefully log his intake (fitday.com for example) and adjust based on weight gain, bloat, strength, and so on. In the end, it's not ratios or other bull****, its calories period.
the right place to get bulking advice is right here from folks who have put on 50+lbs.

h2bEK

Awards
Eat like its your job and lift heavy weight, low reps are going to be your friend. Another problem I see everyday with guys who can't gain weight is that they spend too much time in the gym burning calories and not enough time eating and sleeping.

sub001

Awards
Eat, eat, eat, and eat some more. I am no expert in bodybuilding, and I am still new to it, but when I decided to get serious I got my diet in check. I was about 145 last july maybe 150 with an awful diet and no exercise. I started eating right and got in the gym and I am now 190ish (I am cutting now). I have passed off people I know who have been lifting for years more than me. I ask them what they eat: "Well I roll out of bed and don't have time for breakfast then go out, come home and have a hot dog or two then come to the gym and have a whey shake". I promise you once your diet is good you will gain weight. Nobody can believe the progress I've made (I don't look great yet, but compared to what I was, it is a lot) and I owe it to my strict diet. I gained a decent amount of fat but it's no big deal since I will cut now and all that bulk helped me manage more weight while bulking.

badbart

badbart

Awards
  • Established
10 years ago I was your same weight, height and age. I lifted off and on with no success thinking I was eating enough. Then I started counting my calories using a website and I realized I wasn't eating nearly enough. Once I forced my self to eat enough calories I made great gains I put on 30 pounds. Once you force yourself to eat enough its get easier after a week almost too easy to get the appropriate calories. Also I didn't use any supplements, just food!

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
make a massive shake in the morning, post workout and night. and eat all day. u will grow

jherman08

jherman08

Awards
  • Established
I lifted off and on with no success thinking I was eating enough. Then I started counting my calories using a website and I realized I wasn't eating nearly enough.
Same here, i always ate whatever i wanted and always thought i ate soo much because it was all junk food and i could never gain any weight. Started scheduling my meals in a written log for a month and put on 15lbs. I'd start with logging your food.

jherman08

jherman08

Awards
  • Established
Should I take any suplements?
I'd say a good multi and some creatine monohydrate. Possibly some whey protein if you arent getting at least 1g of protein per lb of bodyweight from food.

getbig1989

Awards
i was stuck at 150 and now im slowly gaining weight.... now im at 159... its not impossible lol
1) make sure ur eating 3500-4000 calories a day on fitday.com because i thought i was eating 4000 calories a day but i was actually eating like 3000 calories.
2) another thing make sure the calories come mostly form food not weight gainers it happened to me
3) dont throw up from eating too much lol
im just telling you from what i have learned from other people and my own experience

getbig1989

Awards
^^^^ also im gaining weight without supplements... just food and weight gainer
what weight gainer are you using?

KarlaG

KarlaG

Banned
Awards
make your own weight gainer from whole foods.

Break out your nana's blender and throw in the following:

4 whole eggs, 8 egg whites
1 scoop of whey
1 cup of oats
1 cup frozen berries
1 banana
1 shot of olive oil
ice

. . . blend it up and store it in a thermos.

This should make ~ 4 cups. Have one cup between every meal.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
i agree with ur homeade gainer, but i like to add whey protein to it for more protein. other than that, i add aalllooot of my own stuff.

h2bEK

Awards
make your own weight gainer from whole foods.

Break out your nana's blender and throw in the following:

4 whole eggs, 8 egg whites
1 scoop of whey
1 cup of oats
1 cup frozen berries
1 banana
1 shot of olive oil
ice

. . . blend it up and store it in a thermos.

This should make ~ 4 cups. Have one cup between every meal.

Natural peanut butter would make a great addition!

quick9000

quick9000

Awards
and sugar free pudding will turn on the taste buds...

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
ive never seen anybody post a homeade shake like that till i did now everyone is doing it lol this is what i make and i have been making this for over a year now and its awesome

Milk, 2 eggs, 1 banana, frozen strawberries, blue berries, ice cream, yogurt, flaxseed, oatmeal oats, PB, 1 to 2 scoops of whey protein and about 5 ice cubes.

imlegit

Awards
dont forget minimum 8 hours of sleep. I started sleeping in and skippin college a while back, and the extra sleep really had a noticeable effect now i always make sure to get as much sleep as possible

edit: and oatmeal is a goddamn gift from the gods