This is what i am currently doing

Mon - arms
tues - 5x5
wed - OFF
thurs - back
fri - legs
sat - chest
sun - OFF

what are some good mass building routines. i know diet needs to be in place. i am also currently on 2nd gear with green mag as recomp of my prime and HGHup stack. any advice is welcomed. i wanna gain about 10 pounds before spring break...naturally

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
This is what i am currently doing

Mon - arms
tues - 5x5
wed - OFF
thurs - back
fri - legs
sat - chest
sun - OFF
i wouldn't bother with an arm day if you were all out bulking naturally. depending on if you can actually recover your legs in 72 hours, i would do something more like

M - 5x5
T - legs/forearms
W - back/bi's
Th - chest/tri's
F - off
Sat - legs/forearms
Sun - off

b9cist

b9cist

Awards
Balla, have you been trying to gain mass and been struggling? Diet is critical as you mentioned, you might also consider reducing how often you work out as rest is a key to recovery/growth. I was struggling to gain strength and was often straining muscles when on a 5 day program. Once I cut it back to 3 days, bodyweight is up and injuries are down...

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
my strength is higher than ever, but i dont care how strong i am, i just wanna be about 25 pounds more lol i like keeping arms in my routine because this past year i have done that and my arms have gotten alot bigger since doing this. whether it is with chest or back or an arm day solo. i will try what suncloud said, although not do 5x5 and legs right after each other, but something like that. maybe chest/bis back/tris legs/abs shoulders/traps and take an extra day off and see how that helps cause thats 4 days and im doing 5 right now

gamer2be08

gamer2be08

Banned
Awards
  • Established
i wouldn't bother with an arm day if you were all out bulking naturally. depending on if you can actually recover your legs in 72 hours, i would do something more like

M - 5x5
T - legs/forearms
W - back/bi's
Th - chest/tri's
F - off
Sat - legs/forearms
Sun - off
So your saying to directly work forearms right before a back/biceps day?
Have you done that and if so, how has it worked for you?

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
also why would you do legs right after the 5x5 when ur doing squats? thats over training

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
So your saying to directly work forearms right before a back/biceps day?
Have you done that and if so, how has it worked for you?
i do forearms afte back/bicep day, and have never had an issue
also why would you do legs right after the 5x5 when ur doing squats? thats over training
i only posted the 5x5 because you seem hardcore on it. i've never been torn up doing 5x5, my lifts decrease the next day, but never any doms.

R1, you're not an ectomorph are you?

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
no i am not lol but it does take me more work to make gains that my other friends, but i still make the gains if i really work at it

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
hrm. could you post your whole routine for me?

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
hrm. could you post your whole routine for me?
I always mix it up. if you want to see what weights i do and routine, look at my profile, under threads started by r1balla, and its under Prime and HGHup log. i just finished that log and i jsut started 2nd gear with green mag and i am logging that

SprtNvolcoM

SprtNvolcoM

On a Mission!
Awards
  • Established
I like HST or DC style for adding mass ... I actually do a combination of both; tailored to my needs (less volume and more frequency). I work out each body part twice a week.

M: Back, Chest, Shoulder, Traps
T: Legs, Bis, Tris
W: OFF
TH: Back, Chest, Shoulder, Traps
F: Legs, Bis, Tris
Sat: OFF
Sun: OFF

I'll do a completely different set of exercises on M/T, than I do on TH/F sessions; increasing loads by 5lbs for small muscle groups and 10lbs for large muscle groups each week. The goal is muscle confusion to prevent adaptation by way of constantly increasing loads and changing movements (exercises). Each workout cycle will last between 6wks-8wks followed by 2wks complete rest and then repeating cycles.

Remember, less volume per workout, and more frequency of each workout is key. You dont want to over train. I have found these type Wos also help keep BF down when bulking; as would say an even lighter volume workout routine like full body 3x a week. Alot of people have trouble adapting to these type WOs because their worried their not doing enough each session and they'll overtrain, but its not true. Do some research into HST or DC style training routines. Works great for me ... I love it! I was turned onto this type of training 5years ago and have never looked back.

Just my thoughts,
Sprt

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
okay, i just looked at your workout and diet, and here's a few of my thoughts

1 - your diet is a little calorie deficient. serious mass (your weight gainer) is liquid calories, which do not count when counting base (maintenance) calories. i say this because 2 servings of serious mass will not maintain your size, even though it would hit 2.5k calories. if its 1.2k extra calories, then by all means you're doing it right.

2 - split up your serious mass. 1 scoop preworkout, and 1 scoop postworkout will hit the 1200 calorie mark, and will give you 2-3 extra reps per workout. postworkout, more than 30g of protein is a waste anyways, so this will work best for you, and provide you with the all important preworkout nutrition. it did for me at least - serious mass still is one of my favorite bulking shakes, and is part of my diet - post 44 http://anabolicminds.com/forum/training-forum/99607-gaining-mass-nutshell-2.html#post1568261

3 - if you're all out bulking, you need to stick with the exercises that allow you to use the most weight (barbell or smith), as isolation won't bulk you up much. a list is at the bottom of post 1 here : http://anabolicminds.com/forum/training-forum/99607-gaining-mass-nutshell.html#post1450814

IMO you're really shorting yourself without consistent deadlifts/pullups, on back day, etc. also with the push/pull routine that has been suggested in other threads, you could do biceps on back day, and quite honestly, if you haven't done biceps after weighted chinups, you've never seen a bicep pump before. anyways, hope this helps you in some way.

also, i don't see any rear tricep work, which is around 1/4 of your arm mass. to target these, do tricep pulldowns with an underhand grip (yes it feels weird). again, good luck my brotha.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
i dont use serious mass....u must have looked at my old thread or something. not sure. i dont use serious mass. i use nitrocore 2 scoops each shake with oatmeal oats, milk, yogurt, fruits, egg, banana. and i do do those tricep reverse pull down things with one arm cables. i jsut dont raelly post my weights or anything on tricep cables and ropes cause i dont go for weight, just form. and i always warm up with weighted chin ups on back day or bicep day.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
This is a basic diet for my day
Breakfast - 4 egg whites, one egg. oatmeal.
30 min later 1 scoop of nitro core with milk and all my added ingredients.

snacks include p&j, small chicken breast, any left over food from the day before, deli meat...etc

Lunch - chicken breast and veggies usually with bread

same snacks as seen above ^^^^^

Dinner - varies from pasta to ribs.

i sometimes use serious mass mixed with my own ingredients or nitro core

Night - before I sleep I make a shake. I will also eat from the snacks (although more of them) or a meal i had earlier and i have left overs.

So im getting about 5 to 6 meals a day with 2 shakes, sometimes 3.

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
add up your solid food intake. if its 2800 calories or more you're on the right track. i try to get as many liquid calories as solid, and that's king for bulking IMO.