How often do you do cardio?

chris808costa

chris808costa

Awards
So right now I am bulking but I don't do any cardio at all. Is that bad should I do cardio once in a while? Or is it ok? I have not been gaining any fat so I don't think I need to. I just want to get massive:)

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
10 minutes before lifting
15 minutes after lifting

Raptorbh12

Awards
I like to try and keep my cardio level up during a bulk just so I can kick it when i go back to a cut. Just eat to replace the calories lost doing cardio and your body composition should end up much better than if you did no cardio.

ccapone1153

ccapone1153

Awards
  • Established
no need if ur not gaining fat. save it for when its time to cut and ur body will respond better to it.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
So right now I am bulking but I don't do any cardio at all. Is that bad should I do cardio once in a while? Or is it ok? I have not been gaining any fat so I don't think I need to. I just want to get massive:)
Whether or not you do cardio is entirely up to you. I personally do 20-30 minutes of cardio 6-7 days a week all year round (bear in mind though that I am used to very high volume and cardio training, so this is 'normal' maintenance for me).

Cardio is good for your cardiovascular health; and as mentioned, doing a little as a 'warm-up' to your weights can be beneficial. I would recommend HIIT if you are bulking, simply because it exerts similar effects to weightlifting without the CNS effects. Also remember that if you are bulking then you need to ensure that you are eating enough to cover your muscle accretion needs.

~Rosie
Team APPNUT

boxrocker

boxrocker

Awards
cool rosanne, I voted for you. I just started doing Cardio for health puposes and to take my weight training to the next level. I have always been about getting big, and I have always been gifted with good genetics to allow me not to have to do cardio! At 27 my metabolism is slowing and i'm getting bored with BIG and STRONG. I am thinking of a competition in the near future. Any way I just joined and I'm learning as I go, like how to get points, pictures Etc. Good Luck

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
cool rosanne, I voted for you. I just started doing Cardio for health puposes and to take my weight training to the next level. I have always been about getting big, and I have always been gifted with good genetics to allow me not to have to do cardio! At 27 my metabolism is slowing and i'm getting bored with BIG and STRONG. I am thinking of a competition in the near future. Any way I just joined and I'm learning as I go, like how to get points, pictures Etc. Good Luck
Call me Rosie, LOL. And thanks :)

I personally think that cardio has its place in any training (or exercise) programme. However, many people think that it is the be all or end all of exercise or that is it important to achieving specific goals, when it is not really. It's all about balance and finding out what works for you re your goals and needs.

Do what makes YOU happy re training. There are stages when our training focus changes re goals (I know, having had to deal with transitioning from being an elite athlete to no longer being competitive, to dealing with injury rehabilitation or not being able to train, etc.)

:welcome: then. You'll get the hang of the forums. Don't worry about points, pics, etc. unless you use those parts.

~Rosie
Team APPNUT

ABNRanger

ABNRanger

Awards
  • Established
Hi all, I started a mass routine by eating lots of protein and carbs, but I noticed that I seem to be getting pregnant, lol. My meals consists of 6-8 oz of chicken, 1 cup of brown rice for six meals. My last two meals of the day I add 1/4 to 1/2 cup of veggies, usually brussel sprouts or broccoli. I was wondering if I can still maintain or gain weight if I lower or get rid of the complex carbs. I was thinking of maybe keeping the oatmeal for breakfast, and cut out the rice and potatoes for the meals that are later in the day. Another option I am considering is eat the complex carbs (oatmeal) for breakfast and brown rice or potatoes for lunch. Keep the simple carbs like broccoli for the later meals. I really want to keep or gain weight but don't want the gut that comes with it. I don't eat fast foods, or junk, so I assume the gut is coming from the carbs. Please advise.
BTW: Good luck in your competition Rosie.

ccapone1153

ccapone1153

Awards
  • Established
Hi all, I started a mass routine by eating lots of protein and carbs, but I noticed that I seem to be getting pregnant, lol. My meals consists of 6-8 oz of chicken, 1 cup of brown rice for six meals. My last two meals of the day I add 1/4 to 1/2 cup of veggies, usually brussel sprouts or broccoli. I was wondering if I can still maintain or gain weight if I lower or get rid of the complex carbs. I was thinking of maybe keeping the oatmeal for breakfast, and cut out the rice and potatoes for the meals that are later in the day. Another option I am considering is eat the complex carbs (oatmeal) for breakfast and brown rice or potatoes for lunch. Keep the simple carbs like broccoli for the later meals. I really want to keep or gain weight but don't want the gut that comes with it. I don't eat fast foods, or junk, so I assume the gut is coming from the carbs. Please advise.

if ur total caloric intake is over what u need u will gain weight, so first make sure u just a little over ur maintinace amount of cals needed (200 -300 + cals a day)

if thats where ur at then i would cut startchy carbs except for breakfast, pre and post workout. replace with fiberous carbs like green veggies.

u will gain fat when gaining muscle. anyone who says u wont is full of sh!t. u jsut want to gain the most minimal amount possible. track ur progess weekly or bi weekly. if u are gaining more than 1.0 - 1.5 lbs a week it is save to bet there is some fat in there.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Notes:
* Brussel sprouts and broccoli are quite gassy foods, and might cause bloating from air in your belly, causing that "pregnant" look.
* Broccoli is NOT a simple carbohydrate; it is a FIBROUS carbohydrate (big difference).
* The only way NOT to gain minimal or no fat (YES it IS possible; I do it all the time!) while you are looking at muscle accretion is to RECOMP; this is very possible, but slower and definitely not for the impatient gainer, and its success is very much determined on the manipulation of the diet.
* I'm not competing, but thanks for the sentiment.

~Rosie
Team APPNUT

ccapone1153

ccapone1153

Awards
  • Established
* The only way NOT to gain minimal or no fat (YES it IS possible; I do it all the time!) while you are looking at muscle accretion is to RECOMP;

how do you personally go about doing this?

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
ccapone1153

ccapone1153

Awards
  • Established
recomping my help one stay leaner while building but, do u agree that u will gain muscle quicker/more efficiently by doing a standerd bulking/cutting protcol?

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
recomping my help one stay leaner while building but, do u agree that u will gain muscle quicker/more efficiently by doing a standerd bulking/cutting protcol?
I don't agree, because there are too many factors involved and this depends entirely on the individual and their genetics. Personally I gain muscle just as quickly recomping as I do bulking, since for me bulking IS recomping, as that's the effects I get regardless.

~Rosie
Team APPNUT

ABNRanger

ABNRanger

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the tips. This is the new change I have implemented yesterday:
3 Neovar Recomp upon waking and 20 min before breakfast
Breakfast: 1 cup oatmeal, 6 egg whites (6am)
Meal 2: 9am 4 oz tuna, 1 greek yogurt wit flax seed
meal 3 12noon(lunch):8 oz chicken, 1/2 cup potates (sweet or regular)
meal 4-3pm: 8oz chicken
meal 5- 6pm pre workout meal (shake or 4oz tuna, 2 rice cakes with flax seed)
3 Neovar Recomped with 16oz carbo gain (complex carbs)
meal 6- 9m 8oz chicken

I noticed in your terminator chronicles you took you Neovar 30 min pre work out and immediately after. Is that just your pref, or the best way to take it? Any more advice welcomed.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thanks for the tips. This is the new change I have implemented yesterday:
3 Neovar Recomp upon waking and 20 min before breakfast
Breakfast: 1 cup oatmeal, 6 egg whites (6am)
Meal 2: 9am 4 oz tuna, 1 greek yogurt wit flax seed
meal 3 12noon(lunch):8 oz chicken, 1/2 cup potates (sweet or regular)
meal 4-3pm: 8oz chicken
meal 5- 6pm pre workout meal (shake or 4oz tuna, 2 rice cakes with flax seed)
3 Neovar Recomped with 16oz carbo gain (complex carbs)
meal 6- 9m 8oz chicken

I noticed in your terminator chronicles you took you Neovar 30 min pre work out and immediately after. Is that just your pref, or the best way to take it? Any more advice welcomed.
You can take creatine at either or all of three different times:
1. First thing in the morning,
2. Pre-resistance/anaerobic training, or
3. Post-resistance/anaerobic training.

If one is only going to take creatine once daily then I would recommend using either pre or post.

I prefer to take creatine pre AND post-training. Also, because of the nutrient repartitioning effects of NeoVar Recomped, I also use at other times throughout the day.

~Rosie
Team APPNUT

06banshee

Awards
I do cardio 2 times a week and im bulking right now i do it in the morning on a completely empty stomach 30 min i try to burn about 300 calories and replace those calories with a protein shake seems to be working for me

pinchharmonic

pinchharmonic

Awards
  • Established
unless you are carb-cycling on your bulk, cardio may only serve to work your heart and cardiovascular system a bit, or maybe just warm you up. as far as burning fat it will be difficult unless you are one of the genetically elite.

the standard bulk your glycogen levels in the liver are full, and that is not the kind of environment your body will release fat in. Certainly this is individual, but I was doing cardio empty stomach in the morning during my bulk and I saw no differences at all, so since then i've stopped to keep my legs fresh as they are a priority.

the other possibility is a carb-cycling approach where even though you are bulking, you still deplete glycogen stores significantly over a week's time, then jampack it on a workout day. Troponin guys (Justin Harris) do this and apparently it works like magic.

not saying not to do cardio, just don't expect any miracles. any conservative and knowledgeable person this board will say you don't put on much muscle when cutting, and you certainly don't lose fat when bulking, so it wouldn't make much sense that cardio during a bulk would minimize fat gain, unless at the expense of bulking at all!

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
It depends...

pre contest or cutting mode or wanting to lose a lot of body fat. pretty much everyday first thing in the morning if possible that day for 45-60 minutes

while building muscle.. on off days first thing in morning if possible or no big deal if it is not first thing in morning, 25-45 minutes.

again it really depends on your goals.

chris808costa

chris808costa

Awards
But if I am not gaining that much fat can I just not do cardio?

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
ccapone1153

ccapone1153

Awards
  • Established
But if I am not gaining that much fat can I just not do cardio?
that is correct. Their are only 2 reasons to do cardio: cardiovascular health, and fat loss. if you dont need to lose fat i wouldnt do it. Some people will argue that the cardiovascular benifits are importat which they are, but weight training can have cardiovascular benifits dependin on how you train, so i would limit it to when its time to get shreddeddddd. PLus too much cardio will limit the amount calories that go to muscle gains.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
that is correct. Their are only 2 reasons to do cardio: cardiovascular health, and fat loss. if you dont need to lose fat i wouldnt do it. Some people will argue that the cardiovascular benifits are importat which they are, but weight training can have cardiovascular benifits dependin on how you train, so i would limit it to when its time to get shreddeddddd. PLus too much cardio will limit the amount calories that go to muscle gains.
yep. Too much and muscle gains are limited when wanting to gain muscle.

when it comes time to strip the body fat off yes up it.

pl5

Awards
I do 40 minutes/10 miles on my bike to and from work. 5 days a week.

jakellpet

jakellpet

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I like to keep fit even during a bulk. Assists with recovery between sets.

And I just like going to the gym, and eating :lol:

Currently I workout a rolling day on - day off.

Fasted Cardio (30-40m low-mod intensity) AM Weights PM