Transistioning from a cut to a bulk

R

RandyH

Awards
I accidently posted this in the wrong section before, but ill just copy and past it here.

Hello, I'm new here but figured for my first post I might as well ask a question.

As of right now I'm just finishing up my cut (9 days left!!) and am roughly 5'9'' 165lbs at maybe 12-14% bf. I used to weigh 247 a few years back and now its time to put on a little lean mass. Anyways, I'm going to finish this cut a little earlier than I intended initially, so I'm upping the intensity for these last 9 days.

Most of my bulk is already planned out (start at 3k clean cals 40-30-30 macros)

However the one issue I have yet to adress is how to properly transistion from this cut ( a little on the restrictive side as far as calories go for these next 9 days), into a 3k calorie bulk?

Any tips?

Advice?

I'm always open to ideas so lets hear em!

Thanks guys!

R

rrm

Awards
up the calories in smaller amounts every couple of days not just one big jump

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
yep. be slow increasing the carbs.

R

RandyH

Awards
yep. be slow increasing the carbs.
Ah thanks both of you for the tips. I plan on finishing friday (last day of the cut) at roughly 1800cals. Any advice on how slowly I should up the cals from there?

Right now I'm not really going super low carb (about 30%).

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
i'd go up by 300 calories per week to play it safe. not that i've ever cut before, but i assume if you go up by more than that, you defeat the whole purpose of cutting in the first place :)

basically, you have to transition to a clean bulk which goes by 300 calorie increments, so that's my assumption.

R

RandyH

Awards
i'd go up by 300 calories per week to play it safe. not that i've ever cut before, but i assume if you go up by more than that, you defeat the whole purpose of cutting in the first place :)

basically, you have to transition to a clean bulk which goes by 300 calorie increments, so that's my assumption.

Seems to make sence, part of me wants to basically eat at my maitenance for like 3-5 days (shouldnt cause any weight gain) and then after that start slowly upping my calories above maintence while starting the bulk. However I'm not sure if my body composition will aprove of this method (;

XplodeWithMe

XplodeWithMe

Awards
1g protein per lb of bodyweight
2 to 3g of carbs
.5g of fat

adjust accordingly to your weight over time until you're done bulking

R

RandyH

Awards
1g protein per lb of bodyweight
2 to 3g of carbs
.5g of fat

adjust accordingly to your weight over time until you're done bulking
Unfortenutly I think you missed the point of this thread. The thread isnt about HOW to bulk....its about how to TRANSITION into a bulk from a restrictive cut.

XplodeWithMe

XplodeWithMe

Awards
That's exactly what I did dude. Those are the appropriate macros for a bulk. It's a straight transition from a cut into a bulk since it's based on grams per lb of bodyweight.

R

RandyH

Awards
That's exactly what I did dude. Those are the appropriate macros for a bulk. It's a straight transition from a cut into a bulk since it's based on grams per lb of bodyweight.
Please specify next time, however I do apreciate your input!

I'm going start the bulk as if weighing 165lbs (as thats what I will weigh when finished cutting hopefully). I'm just not sure if I can go from 1.8k cals to 3k immediatly without a negative impact on body composistion.

Thanks for your help man!

XplodeWithMe

XplodeWithMe

Awards
Anytime man.

Your macros at 165 would be about

Protein= 165g a day
Carbs= 330 to 495 a day
Fats= 82.5g

With that it'd put your calories between 2700 and 3382.5. If you feel like you're not totally comfortable with going up to that so fast just increase your calories by 500 calories each week until you hit that. :)

M

Moyer

board observer
Awards
  • Established
It sorta depends how long your cut was and how low carb you were going.

The general advice is to do 2wks at maintenance cals before you go back to bulking. That's about 2000 cals/day for you. If you were going very low carb for a long period, you may want to introduce them even slower.

Not only do you weigh less now, but your metabolism and fat burning hormones are lowered from dieting, so if you go straight to bulking you're gonna gain too much fat right away.

Even at maintenance for two weeks you will gain some weight, but it'll just be water & glycogen (not fat), so don't sweat it.

R

RandyH

Awards
It sorta depends how long your cut was and how low carb you were going.

The general advice is to do 2wks at maintenance cals before you go back to bulking. That's about 2000 cals/day for you. If you were going very low carb for a long period, you may want to introduce them even slower.

Not only do you weigh less now, but your metabolism and fat burning hormones are lowered from dieting, so if you go straight to bulking you're gonna gain too much fat right away.

Even at maintenance for two weeks you will gain some weight, but it'll just be water & glycogen (not fat), so don't sweat it.
Yea I have no problem at all gaining water weight, but no I didnt go all too low on the carbs. Ide say carbs range anywhere from 130-170grams a day.

This will deffinetly be tricky for me because I'm an eager bever when it comes to starting this bulk! But I suppose I'll continue doing research on it and tough it out )=. I wish there was a little more literature out there on the transistion phases. I know alot of body builders after a show take the "go ape ****" aproach to food after a show. However the circumstances are very different.

Really apreciate that bit of advice man, and more is welcome from anyone, I figure the more opinions the better (=.

Also whats kind of cool is that I'm getting my body fat tested right at the end of my cut, and then I'm getting it re-tested at the end of my bulk so we can see how I did!

M

Moyer

board observer
Awards
  • Established
Yea I have no problem at all gaining water weight, but no I didnt go all too low on the carbs. Ide say carbs range anywhere from 130-170grams a day.

This will deffinetly be tricky for me because I'm an eager bever when it comes to starting this bulk! But I suppose I'll continue doing research on it and tough it out )=. I wish there was a little more literature out there on the transistion phases. I know alot of body builders after a show take the "go ape ****" aproach to food after a show. However the circumstances are very different.

Really apreciate that bit of advice man, and more is welcome from anyone, I figure the more opinions the better (=.

Also whats kind of cool is that I'm getting my body fat tested right at the end of my cut, and then I'm getting it re-tested at the end of my bulk so we can see how I did!
You shouldn't have any problems going straight back to maintenance cals then. I know after cutting for a while all you wanna do is pig out, but you REALLY don't wanna just pack all that fat back on right away.

If you wanna research more, I HIGHLY recommend bodyrecomposition.com
Lyle McDonald really is the man when it comes to anything nutrition related, especially fat loss. I recommend the books of course, but just reading all the articles on his site will give you a better understanding than 98% of board members around here. No bullsh*t.

R

RandyH

Awards
:dl:
You shouldn't have any problems going straight back to maintenance cals then. I know after cutting for a while all you wanna do is pig out, but you REALLY don't wanna just pack all that fat back on right away.

If you wanna research more, I HIGHLY recommend bodyrecomposition.com
Lyle McDonald really is the man when it comes to anything nutrition related, especially fat loss. I recommend the books of course, but just reading all the articles on his site will give you a better understanding than 98% of board members around here. No bullsh*t.
AWSOME link man! I apreciate that big time! I actually just got a sports nutrition magazine that my work gets for free (i work at GNC). I'm looking forward to reading some of it.

But yea I know how the whole pig out thing goes, never again will I do that. About a week ago I decided I needed to do a slight refeed. Well that slight refeed turned into a 1 day break from my cut and me consuming 7k+ calories of ****. By no means was that gentle on my digestive tract /=.

I actually just started making a grocery list to get all prepped for my bulk. It should be an interesting little shopping trip.