how will these sleep habits affect my gains?

AndreAnabolic

AndreAnabolic

Awards
hey everyone, my diet is good, routine is in check, im just a little curious about how i sleep is affecting my gains.

im a personal trainer at a local club, and i get off at 8 every night, i workout at around 8:30-9:00 and afterwards i work a 4 hour shift from 10-2 at a gas station. i get to bed at around 2:30-3:00 after my prebed meal and i wake up at around 12:00. will these hours of sleep seriously affect my gains? and is it bad to eat breakfast at noon?

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
why would it? for you that's morning. 3-12 is a good amount of sleep time. i think most graveshifters would be envious of that much sleep.

Aggravated

Aggravated

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
why would it? for you that's morning. 3-12 is a good amount of sleep time. i think most graveshifters would be envious of that much sleep.
The guys that work 3rd shift at my company would kill people for that amount of sleep! Be aware that the more you sleep, the more time you are burning muscle. I shoot for 7-8, but 9 might not be as bad as 11 or 12. The more time I have to squeeze in snacks/meals, the better!

AndreAnabolic

AndreAnabolic

Awards
i find that if i go to bed at 12 and wake up at 8 my energy levels are way higher throughout the day? any comments on that?

soseg

soseg

Awards
  • Established
hm thats an interesting one i gotta agree with you there
im on hoildays now and go to bed at 2 and wake up roughly 1030am or 11am and feel less active than when I was going to uni at 8am with my barely 8-8.5 hours of sleep

it's got to do something with the natural body clock in my opinion... just the way your body responds to being awake at night versus day, sleeping during the day...

definitely an interesting question I'd want to know the answer too

when you're sleeping till noon... how dark is your room? maybe that could be affecting the quality of sleep?

jfk

Awards
Plus it sounds like you have a pretty consistent routine.....if it were totally random that would be a problem. Seems fine. About breakfast at noon: that when you start your day...so eat like your starting your day.

planetfuzz

planetfuzz

Awards
  • Established
I've been making gains sleeping 9am-4pm. I've found I actually feel more awake through out the day if I get 7-8 hours.

Aggravated

Aggravated

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I've been making gains sleeping 9am-4pm. I've found I actually feel more awake through out the day if I get 7-8 hours.
Same here. If I sleep for more than 7-8 hours I feel lethargic.

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
yeah i'm defiantly envious of that much sleep, it's a rarity that i get a full 8 hours of sleep, but it's not terrible, i usually get about 7 hours, but i do know when i worked 10 p.m. to 6 a.m. that i was always tired, if your only awake until 2 or 3 then thats not to bad, but it's been said that ppl who work night shifts are more likely to be depressed and to get sick, it could be the body clock but it also could have something to do with working when it's dark so even if you take a break to get fresh air it's always dark out

planetfuzz

planetfuzz

Awards
  • Established
I think the most important thing is to have a consistant schedule. No matter what it is,getting up at the same time,no matter what time, is what works for me. In a perfect world I would fall asleep when it got dark and be woken up by singing birds and the sunrise but that's not going to happen.

Aggravated

Aggravated

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I think the most important thing is to have a consistant schedule. No matter what it is,getting up at the same time,no matter what time, is what works for me. In a perfect world I would fall asleep when it got dark and be woken up by singing birds and the sunrise but that's not going to happen.
Word. I am at a point now that if something gets out of wack with my daily routine it usually throws me all of. Being blind sided sucks balls, but hey, life happens. :nutkick:

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
seriously messing with circadian rhythm all the time and lack of sleep is what throw off gains.