Page 1 of 3 123 Last
  1. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  228 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    26.5%

bedtime proteinshake/meal myth

like to start by saying hello and i am new here. think this will be a good place to share my knowledge and hopefully learn a few things. My first question in concerning that overnight bedtime protein shake. supposedly drinking a protein shake(more casein slow burn) before you go to bed is suppose to help increase muscle and strength generally they say at nightime are body goes into an anabolic state where it does repairs on tissue. thus more protein available then over time enhanced gains. well to all of you who has tried this do you think in general it is beneficial or would it just cause bad weight gain overtime:bb3:

2. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'9"  170 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    68.24%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

My husband has either casein or milk protein isolate every night before going to bed- he has for years. Right now he is at approx. 230 lb, 7% body fat (he's 6'4"). Any kind of protein that is slow digesting is good to eat before going to sleep. Casein, MPI, cottage cheese are all great. Pairing them with some healthy fat is good too, it will help the digestion of the protein.
  3. The BPS Rep
    Stats
    6'4"  280 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    84.41%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

You have it on a regular basis too babe, and you're showing great progress! Good post BTW

But yeah, having a pre-bed, slow digesting snack is great - you're asleep a long time and you're metabolism doesn't slow that much, so you should have something to tide you over.
    Bulk Performance Solutions
    --No Proprietary Blends, All Performance--

***NOW @ NP***
    •   

4. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'11"  183 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    40.47%

I have a casein shake before bed most nights. I feel great when i get up in the morning
    “We are what we repeatedly do. Therefore, excellence is not an act, but a habit.”
  5. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  142 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    30.37%

A shake before bed is one of the best things you can do for muscle gain or fat loss.
  6. Elite Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    12.18%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

Shake before bed is highly over appreciated. It is good and some don't like eating before bed so thats fine but it is no more beneficial than a whole food meal. I also believe the whole "eat something so that you o no don't go catabolic" when you sleep is dumb as well.
    PES Representative
    Don't miss out on the next deal:
    http://pescience.com/insider
    Protein Backed by Science: http://selectprotein.com
  7. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    25.83%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by bolt10 View Post
    Shake before bed is highly over appreciated. It is good and some don't like eating before bed so thats fine but it is no more beneficial than a whole food meal. I also believe the whole "eat something so that you o no don't go catabolic" when you sleep is dumb as well.
    Agreed. It'd rather my body focus on hormone production and rest than digestion. Just my 2 cents.
    "I am legally blind and if I can Squat,deadlift and over all get myself to the gym then anyone can get their a$$ in gear and get strong!!" - malleus25
    WHITE WHALE!
  8. New Member
    Stats
    6'3"  238 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    24.51%

I always get a kick out of people that time food intake, I wish I had that luxury. It's a pain in the azz just to get calories in. I do actually take protein before bed, but it's just because I have no other time to do it.

I stuff myself all day long, it's a major chore. I wish they would invent a pill that is 4000 calories with the right carb/fat/protein split.

Anyway, I do think it's a good idea before bed. I feel a bit less taxed when I wake up in the AM...that might be BS though.
    Last edited by stormecho; 08-28-2008 at 09:57 AM. Reason: more info.
  9. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  228 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    26.5%

Quote Originally Posted by bolt10 View Post
    any documentation or readings to back this up or is it personal opinion
  10. Advanced Muscle Science Rep
    Stats
    6'2"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    91.81%

I know drinking a shake before bed worked great for me during my last bulking cycle. It was the only thing I changed at that time so the benefits was real because weight started to really climb with in a few weeks.
  11. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  142 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    30.37%

Quote Originally Posted by SilentBob187 View Post
    Agreed. It'd rather my body focus on hormone production and rest than digestion. Just my 2 cents.

I never thought about that
  12. Elite Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    12.18%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by vinny32 View Post
    any documentation or readings to back this up or is it personal opinion
    personal opinion...but is there any documentation that drinking a shake with casein does anything special?
    PES Representative
    Don't miss out on the next deal:
    http://pescience.com/insider
    Protein Backed by Science: http://selectprotein.com
  13. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  142 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    30.37%

Remember though..when you're not eating for 8 hours stress hormones (epinephrine anf glucagon) will be higher due to low blood sugar. Stress hormones does attack muscle tissue so a shake before bed is better than nothing at all.
  14. Banned
    Stats
    6'0"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    16.06%
    Achievements Posting Pro

I take ZMA before bed....and calcium inhibits absorption of Zinc, so no food before bed for me........Sleep is really improved with ZMA
  15. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  201 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    31.13%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

i definitely felt better when i could afford casein before bed. i'd wake up ready to rock - actually jumped out of bed for the couple weeks i did it. and your body grows primarily at night - why not take protein at that time? to me that would be like saying "psaw, i don't need that 30 minute post workout window, i'll just get some fries instead..."
  16. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'3"  187 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    51.66%

It's not really a "myth", as casein is proven to be slower digesting, and thus helps against catabolism, but I think casein shakes are just a dumb idea and a waste of money. Drink some milk, it's 80% casein.

Sidenote: I drink my final protein shake right before bed with 2 cups milk and 1 scoop of whey protein (26g protein), sometimes with some grape nuts and reduced fat peanut butter thrown in.
  17. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  142 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    30.37%

Quote Originally Posted by suncloud View Post
    i definitely felt better when i could afford casein before bed. i'd wake up ready to rock - actually jumped out of bed for the couple weeks i did it. and your body grows primarily at night - why not take protein at that time? to me that would be like saying "psaw, i don't need that 30 minute post workout window, i'll just get some fries instead..."
    I agree
  18. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  142 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    30.37%

Quote Originally Posted by MrBrightside View Post
    It's not really a "myth", as casein is proven to be slower digesting, and thus helps against catabolism, but I think casein shakes are just a dumb idea and a waste of money. Drink some milk, it's 80% casein.

Sidenote: I drink my final protein shake right before bed with 2 cups milk and 1 scoop of whey protein (26g protein), sometimes with some grape nuts and reduced fat peanut butter thrown in.

I fully agree
  19. NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
    Stats
    6'0"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.41%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Omen View Post
    I take ZMA before bed....and calcium inhibits absorption of Zinc, so no food before bed for me........Sleep is really improved with ZMA
    As a suggestion, take your ZMA 30-45 minutes pre-bed, then have your casein shake/cottage cheese right before bed. Gives the ZMA time to absorb properly and minimizes the calcium interference.
  20. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  142 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    30.37%

Quote Originally Posted by Steveoph View Post
    As a suggestion, take your ZMA 30-45 minutes pre-bed, then have your casein shake/cottage cheese right before bed. Gives the ZMA time to absorb properly and minimizes the calcium interference.

Thanks, I'll try this too.
  21. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    42.01%

I blend a half cup of cottage cheese,a cup of calorie countdown chocalate milk and i teaspoon of PB.I only add the PB if i'm bulking.
  22. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'11"  183 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    40.47%

thats me just done a Casein shake with 48g of protein,200 cals and 1g fat/carbs plus the pint of milk before i go to bed. Feel great when i wake up
    “We are what we repeatedly do. Therefore, excellence is not an act, but a habit.”
  23. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  165 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    53.48%

Quote Originally Posted by SilentBob187 View Post
    Totally agree. I used to ALWAYS eat a casein shake before bed. I would wake up not hungry and not rested. I can eat more calories during the day when I don't eat before bed. I just eat a whole food meal an hour or so before bed and I sleep better and I wake up with a better appetite. I learned a lot about this from other forums on here on this topic. A full nights sleep is anything but catabolic. Sleep is for resting,not digesting. That's what works for me but I know everybody is different.
  24. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  173 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    28.52%

Does anyone have cottage and some nuts before bed? When I cut I just have cottage cheese but now I started a bulk so I wanted to have some nuts at night... Should I just stay with the cottage cheese?
  25. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    94.05%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Nacho1545 View Post
    Does anyone have cottage and some nuts before bed? When I cut I just have cottage cheese but now I started a bulk so I wanted to have some nuts at night... Should I just stay with the cottage cheese?
    i'd do 2 eggs w/ 1 white and a serving of pb. (the egg white helps complete the protein of the pb).
  26. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'10"  198 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    42.89%

Quote Originally Posted by planetfuzz View Post
    Totally agree. I used to ALWAYS eat a casein shake before bed. I would wake up not hungry and not rested. I can eat more calories during the day when I don't eat before bed. I just eat a whole food meal an hour or so before bed and I sleep better and I wake up with a better appetite. I learned a lot about this from other forums on here on this topic. A full nights sleep is anything but catabolic. Sleep is for resting,not digesting. That's what works for me but I know everybody is different.
    Sometimes on nights before the days that I am off of work or going in to work late, i go to bed late and sleep for 10-11 hours, so there is NO WAY I could not eat something before going to bed on those nights (3 times a week, normally) ... there's no evidence that your body's ability for hormone production or rest is inhibited by digestion (at rest/sleep), especially when your doing nothing but at rest during the night...remember, this is not during the day when your doing activities, stress, and exercise.

This is what I can attest to:
    Nothing before bed except water and a banana...= no weight gain for me for 5 str8 weeks

One cup of milk, 2 slices wheat bread, 2 tb omega3 peanut butter, one scoop protein powder, one half chicken breast for 5 str8 weeks = nice solid weight gain

Over time i started to see the difference in both body composition and feeling upon awakening. This, of course, is not for everybody, but it worked for me tremendously.
    ---The internet is the father of the electronic lynch-mob---
  27. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'10"  198 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    42.89%

Oh yeah, after 5 weeks, i did not have excessive weight gain. My LBM actually went up.
    ---The internet is the father of the electronic lynch-mob---
  28. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  162 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    57.88%

It seems like everytime someone asks what i would assume is a simple question on here, suddenly theres about 3-4 different opinions!

It would seem we (people in general) still know very little regarding our bodies and how they work, surely if we knew then there would be definitive do's and donts for this sort of thing?
  29. New Member
    Stats
    5'6"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    50.49%

Quote Originally Posted by Nacho1545 View Post
    I have cottage cheese and some almonds every night. Not too much however.
  30. NutraPlanet Fanatic
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    94%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by MrBrightside View Post
    It's also loaded with sugar.
    Evolutionary Muse - Inspire to Evolve
    BPS - Where Body meets Performance
    Flawless Skin Couture - We give you the tools to make you Flawless
  31. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  201 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    31.13%

sugar = carbs = lower growth hormone response. your growth hormone cycles three times in a 24 hr period, with the largest response 1 hour after bed. any carbs taken within 2 hours of that will blunt that response. if you have to eat, do chicken cooked in olive oil. or stick with casein.
  32. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  173 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    28.52%

Quote Originally Posted by MacTech View Post
    I have cottage cheese and some almonds every night. Not too much however.
    My only problem is that nuts are my weakness... I end up having way too much.. I have almonds, walnuts and peanut butter.. Then sometimes I will have some honey mixed with the nuts... I saw some GREAT gains by adding this at night :bb3:

but I also saw some fat gain...
  33. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'8"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    43.34%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

After switching from cottage cheese to casein shakes before bed I've seen great results and improvement. I also take in some natty PB.

I'm not going to argue with the guys that don't think it's necessary, but I definitely think that you're better off taking in protein before bed; however, sometimes I don't go to bed for 2-3 hours after taking in my shake. That way, it only digests for another three hours or so and you get your hormone production kicking as well. Seems good to me.
  34. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  165 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    53.48%

I always eat something like a salmon filet,some veggies,glass of milk,some beans,and some walnuts. I eat it about an hour and a half before bed. I personally fall asleep a lot faster if I haven't just eaten. I have defiantly been making gains. I really think this is one of those things that it works different for everybody.
  35. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  145 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    78.14%

Quote Originally Posted by suncloud View Post
    sugar = carbs = lower growth hormone response. your growth hormone cycles three times in a 24 hr period, with the largest response 1 hour after bed. any carbs taken within 2 hours of that will blunt that response. if you have to eat, do chicken cooked in olive oil. or stick with casein.
    So let's say I'm at school all afternoon and evening... and then I work out at 8PM or 9PM...

It's bad that I'm taking shake post workout that's milk, protein powder, oatmeal, an egg, a spoon of pb, and some olive oil and then passing out a couple hours later?

Am I better off just using like water and protein powder?
  36. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  201 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    31.13%

Quote Originally Posted by iDShaDoW View Post
    So let's say I'm at school all afternoon and evening... and then I work out at 8PM or 9PM...

It's bad that I'm taking shake post workout that's milk, protein powder, oatmeal, an egg, a spoon of pb, and some olive oil and then passing out a couple hours later?

Am I better off just using like water and protein powder?
    eek. thats a hard call. pre workout is very important, so carbs and protein would be a good choice. post workout (since you're going to bed so soon after) i'd mix it with water, an egg, PB and olive oil. mono fats won't hurt you in the least, and the cholesterol is the same. just carbs that close to bed are something to watch out for, but 10g of it won't mess you up. if you try to get 50g of protein in by drinking milk, then you're in trouble with the carbs - 75 grams of it. if you get out of the gym at 9, and stay up 2 hours after, it really doesn't matter if you carb up or not though.
  37. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  145 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    78.14%

I see, yeah, I don't pass out immediately after I drink the shake. I probably go to sleep a couple hours later and have trouble falling asleep right away anyway.

I don't really drink milk like some of the people on here (like half a gallon or a gallon a day) for protein. I just figured it's more calories in my shake than just water even though a water based shake goes down easier for me.
  38. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  142 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    30.37%

Quote Originally Posted by dsade View Post

Milk is low glycemic, not much to worry about
  39. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'3"  187 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    51.66%

Quote Originally Posted by dsade View Post
    Most people who drink the casein shakes mix it with milk anyway, so I don't see the big deal here.
  40. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'3"  233 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    67.69%

So annoying about dairy and ZMA. I think protien is a little more important because I am young and dont gain weight easy but I really like the idea of the ZMA before then the shake right before bed. I am just going to take a small one. 8 ounches of milk and 1 scoops muscle milk is enough! I guess this will make me wanna go buy ZMA again.

Also my dad is 58 and swims and goes on long (3 hour) walks should I have him take this?

Similar Forum Threads

1. Thought on weekly cheat meal (and I meal major cheat meal)
    By FitModel in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-01-2011, 02:19 PM
  2. pre bedtime meal ideas
    By bigbird101 in forum Bulking
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 12-07-2008, 01:36 AM
  3. bedtime protein
    By rdj6107 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-28-2005, 10:01 PM
  4. Why is 6-Oxo taken only at bedtime?