Over-Training

Marine77

Marine77

Awards
I have been working out for two years now and though I have made huge strength gains I can't put on any mass. I was wondering if I should cut back to three or four days a week to let my body rebuild. I stopped doing cardio to see if the treadmill was burning up to much of my food intake preventing muscle growth, but I haven't really seen a change. I can eat like a pig over the weekend, walk into the gym at 174 lbs monday, and tue-friday be dead on 170. This seems to be a never ending cycle. PLEASE HELP! I would love to be around 190, but I cant break 175.

Marine77

Marine77

Awards
Just realized I posted this in the nutrition forum. Will repost in training. I do need help with the diet side too though. Apparently I am not eating enough.

bkoguy07

bkoguy07

Awards
  • Established
How many times a week do you work out? Whats your workouts look like? Whats your diet and macro look like? Would be interesting to see!

Marine77

Marine77

Awards
I work out mon-fri. m- chest/abs, t-back/legs, w-bi/tri,
t-shoulders/abs, f-light chest/legs. I work third shift so my diet isn't very consistent. I will eat some yogurt and cereal around 4 pm. Usually steak or chicken with steamed vegitables around 730, two scoops of syntha -6 at mid-night, salad with turkey breast and lots of brocolli at 0200, if I eat anything before going to the gym at 0700 it is usually a candy bar or maybe a banana. I work out from 0700 to around 0830 and eat a bowl of cereal and a cup of yogurt before bed.

bkoguy07

bkoguy07

Awards
  • Established
How many hours of sleep do you get when you get to sleep? Your workout doesnt look bad.. You might need to eat more and at least 8 hours of sleep.

bert1968

bert1968

Awards
gaining weight

Appears to me no where near enough calories for gaining. Depending on portions of meat, doesn't look like your getting the 1.5 to 2 grams protein needed for hard gainers and it also looks like most of your carbs are fibrous= no energy, actually
would make you use protein for energy needs. eat large, lift large, be large

g37SkylineGTR

Awards
eat 6-8 oz of lean meat chicken or fish with every meal. Complex carbs PWO.:bb3:

Manimalia

Manimalia

Awards
  • Established
I work out mon-fri. m- chest/abs, t-back/legs, w-bi/tri,
t-shoulders/abs, f-light chest/legs. I work third shift so my diet isn't very consistent. I will eat some yogurt and cereal around 4 pm. Usually steak or chicken with steamed vegitables around 730, two scoops of syntha -6 at mid-night, salad with turkey breast and lots of brocolli at 0200, if I eat anything before going to the gym at 0700 it is usually a candy bar or maybe a banana. I work out from 0700 to around 0830 and eat a bowl of cereal and a cup of yogurt before bed.
your diet is your problem. if you wanna make gains, you gotta eat more/better than that. i suggest you take the hit in your wallet and start buying real, quality food and pre-prepping it. bake a whole oven of sweet taters, whole ovens of chicken breasts, pre-grind up a tub of oats to mix with that syntha-6, etc. and put it all in a place where it can be grabbed/eaten on the go.

a man your size needs about 3000 cals or so to start seeing gains right now. you're likely only taking MAYBE 2000. see what's going on here? eating right and consistently training/switching it makes for gains.

g37SkylineGTR

Awards
your diet is your problem. if you wanna make gains, you gotta eat more/better than that. i suggest you take the hit in your wallet and start buying real, quality food and pre-prepping it. bake a whole oven of sweet taters, whole ovens of chicken breasts, pre-grind up a tub of oats to mix with that syntha-6, etc. and put it all in a place where it can be grabbed/eaten on the go.

a man your size needs about 3000 cals or so to start seeing gains right now. you're likely only taking MAYBE 2000. see what's going on here? eating right and consistently training/switching it makes for gains.

great post:bb3:

Marine77

Marine77

Awards
Thanks for the feedback. I have a lot of learning to do about what food to eat. We will see what happens in the next couple of months with a higher calorie intake.

Manimalia

Manimalia

Awards
  • Established
great post:bb3:
i thank you, sir. i didn't wanna come off like i knew what was up on the whole diet thing. i am still trying to figure out, after several failed attempts, how to 'cut' weight. there's a lot to that. but there's not much to gaining it, ya know?

planetfuzz

planetfuzz

Awards
  • Established
^^^Fantastic advice^^^

When it comes to gaining weight if you are burning more calories than you're eating you wont gain. The diet tracker here on AM was a big help for me to actually see how many calories I was getting. Eat LOTS of carbs anywhere from 40-50% of your total calories. I like to get the majority of my carbs in the morning on non training days and post workout on training days,but experiment on what works for you.
I also can't imagine a candy bar being a good source of steady energy PWO..

I think getting a perfect diet is 10 times harder than a perfect training routine. Just keep building on what you know. Always keep learning