Q&A on contest prep by victor delcampo

victordelcamp

victordelcamp

Awards
Ok i have been competeing for a number of years maybe you have heard of me maybe you havent. I have learned a few things through my own experiences and i figured i would try and answer any questions you might have on contest prep. from day one of diet to the day of the show i will answer your questions to the best of my ability.

Attachments

crader

crader

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I have a quick question. I'm trying to get my body fat in a very lean percentile. With my diet on track, how much cardio do you do?

victordelcamp

victordelcamp

Awards
I am glad I finally got a question to answer. Here is what I do for myself, when training for a contest.
I do 45 minutes of moderate cardio 5 days a week usually first thing out of bed before eating my breakfast.
ex: walking on a treadmill at a high incline at about 2.5 to 3 miles per hour while squeezing my my butt as I walk.
There are 7 days in the week, I weight train 5 of them. I plan my cardio so one of my days off is on my leg day and another is on a non lifting day. This way I get one day a week when I just do cardio, one day when i just lift weights, and one day when I do nothing but rest.
i also write blogs on these two websites
victordelcampo.net
rippedacademy.com
be sure to check them as well

Last edited:
crader

crader

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Lol well give me some of your typical training routines..What kind of supps do you take?

victordelcamp

victordelcamp

Awards
Lol well give me some of your typical training routines..What kind of supps do you take?
well my training split is something like:
mon chest and bis
tue hams and abs
wed shoulders and calves
thu off but do cardio
fri quads no cardio
sat back and tris
sunday no cardio no weights

supps protien powder, fat burners, energy drinks i really like diet turbo tea and speed shot.

CHAPS

Awards
  • Established
What type of break down do you do for your diet when dieting for a competition? I'm currently doing a 50/20/30 split. Also if you can't do he cardio on an empty stomach (i get up at like 4am for work), what would you suggest, like 45 minutes post-workout? Also what are your thoughts on sipping on BCAA's while doing your cardio?

victordelcamp

victordelcamp

Awards
What type of break down do you do for your diet when dieting for a competition? I'm currently doing a 50/20/30 split. Also if you can't do he cardio on an empty stomach (i get up at like 4am for work), what would you suggest, like 45 minutes post-workout? Also what are your thoughts on sipping on BCAA's while doing your cardio?
I start my diet like this
I take my lean mass and I eat about that many grams of carbs
also 1.5 to 2 times my lean mass in protien
and I eat about 30 grams of fat
as I go I make adjustments to carbs sources first. switch from brown rice to yams
then I may lower fat or adjust carbs slightly
and towards end i take fat out completely
i eat same diet every day if im still making improvements at a good pace.
i usually dont have to start cycling carbs till last four weeks
food sources:
eggs wites
egg yolk
chicken breast
flank steak
tuna
brown rice yams
brocolli
whey protien

Im not against post work out cardio but 30 minuter post work out should be plenty.
I like to split training and cardio. I need to eat the second i finish lifting, thats what motivates me sometimes. I can remember saying 4 more sets and I get to eat towards end of work out during diets.
Finally, bcaa im not against but when Im dieting for a show. I try not to take any extra calories other then food sources so if drink has calories I would opt. for pills

Mitosis

Mitosis

Awards
Hey Vic.....its Rusty....

Fellas Victor knows his stuff, I got in shape very quick with his diet and training regime. Hes very good at contest prep, plus he himself gets into shape fast...its amazing!

Hit me up Victor.....looks like I am not gonna be able to get outta working on Saturday.

cranny

cranny

Awards
Hey bro, I'm 5 1/2wks. out from my first show. So far so good but I still have a little fat in my lower abs, a little bit remaining on my lower back, and my quads are still somewhat smooth. If you would, check out my current macros and tell me what you think. Currently I'm on 3 low carb days then 1 high carb. Diet consist mainly of chicken, fish, brown rice, oats, egg whites, green veggies, olive oil, flax oil, protein shakes, and some natty peanutbutter. I was thinking of dropping the cal. down by about 200/day and then re-evaluate 4wks. out.
Cal Pro Carb Fat
7/7 2399 223 301 33
7/8 2081 279 90 66
7/9 2051 306 86 66
7/10 2100 297 90 54
7/11 2735 305 181 82
Here is a few pics at 9 wks. out.

victordelcamp

victordelcamp

Awards
Hey bro, I'm 5 1/2wks. out from my first show. So far so good but I still have a little fat in my lower abs, a little bit remaining on my lower back, and my quads are still somewhat smooth. If you would, check out my current macros and tell me what you think. Currently I'm on 3 low carb days then 1 high carb. Diet consist mainly of chicken, fish, brown rice, oats, egg whites, green veggies, olive oil, flax oil, protein shakes, and some natty peanutbutter. I was thinking of dropping the cal. down by about 200/day and then re-evaluate 4wks. out.
Cal Pro Carb Fat
7/7 2399 223 301 33
7/8 2081 279 90 66
7/9 2051 306 86 66
7/10 2100 297 90 54
7/11 2735 305 181 82
Here is a few pics at 9 wks. out.

ok right off the bat your fat is way to high and there is realy no need for you to be eating 300 grams of carbs on any day i would suggest
around 200 would be plenty of carbs take fat out completely
keep protien and carbs the same everyday and cycle fat in at 40 grams every 4th day and

victordelcamp

victordelcamp

Awards
also its hard to help you with out knowing your weight and bodyfat % where are you located i can help you out i do this for a living

cranny

cranny

Awards
also its hard to help you with out knowing your weight and bodyfat % where are you located i can help you out i do this for a living
Thanks bro. Yeah I guess some stats would be nice huh?
37 yrs. old
5' 10"
190lbs.
Guessing 8-9% BF. All we have are some spring calipers to measure skin folds. It says 7% But I believe it's a little higher than that at the moment. I live in the middle GA area. The show is the Coastal USA in Atlanta Aug. 18th. My training is 5days/wk. and cardio 30-35min. 6-7 days/wk. Thanks again for any help. I need all I can get at this point.

victordelcamp

victordelcamp

Awards
Thanks bro. Yeah I guess some stats would be nice huh?
37 yrs. old
5' 10"
190lbs.
Guessing 8-9% BF. All we have are some spring calipers to measure skin folds. It says 7% But I believe it's a little higher than that at the moment. I live in the middle GA area. The show is the Coastal USA in Atlanta Aug. 18th. My training is 5days/wk. and cardio 30-35min. 6-7 days/wk. Thanks again for any help. I need all I can get at this point.
there is some good information on my website try eating
180 grams of carbs 380 grams of potien and 30 grams of fat from egg yolk every 4th day letme know how that goes also eat every two and half hours your awak if you run out of meals and you will still be awake eat 7 ounces of chicken with greens (they dont count in carbs) every two hours till bed

cranny

cranny

Awards
there is some good information on my website try eating
180 grams of carbs 380 grams of potien and 30 grams of fat from egg yolk every 4th day letme know how that goes also eat every two and half hours your awak if you run out of meals and you will still be awake eat 7 ounces of chicken with greens (they dont count in carbs) every two hours till bed
Bro I can't tell you enough how much I appreciate this help. As long as I know what to do I WILL do it. But I feel w/ this being my 1st comp. I'm spinning my wheels at times. With only 5 1/2 wks. left I don't have time to play around much.

Brolic

Brolic

Banned
Awards
  • Established
i want to do my 1st show nov 2009.

what should i be doing now, ive been bulking for 2.5years.

i wass thinking of going No carbs(only at breakfast)

b-boy

Awards
what up vic its Brad from R.A. ON/ABB

this guy right here knows his **** people.

vic whats the most cardio you have done getting ready for a show?

do you take any pre morning cardio supplements like BCAA's or glutamine?

PROCOMPLEX BABY :afro:

smshannon001

smshannon001

Awards
  • Established
this thread is a little on the old side..

b unit

b unit

Awards
  • Established
Ok i have been competeing for a number of years maybe you have heard of me maybe you havent. I have learned a few things through my own experiences and i figured i would try and answer any questions you might have on contest prep. from day one of diet to the day of the show i will answer your questions to the best of my ability.
reps and welcome to A.M, great to see someone sharing knowledge and by the looks of it, you know your stuff.

b-boy

Awards
ha i will get vic over here to update this thread soon, he's got the USA's coming up so he's in contest robot mode right now..LOL he's looking thick as hell and on point right now also.

vic the brick

Awards
this is victor delcampo i am bringing this thread back. QandA with victor delcampo is up and running.

daxxer

Awards
I am 1 week out of my show and I have 5 lbs to get off yet to make lightweight which I'm guessing is water? Should I stop cardio this last week? I am holding water in my legs for sure but every day the start looking better and better, but if I am afraid if I keep doing cardio legs will stay full and look smooth, and like I said I am still 5 lbs heavy!

vic the brick

Awards
i would keep cardio until wednesday you should have no problem making weight if you drop water 14 hours before weigh in cut it do 1 gallon day before.

daxxer

Awards
So you don't think cardio will make my legs hold blood and get smooth?

vic the brick

Awards
no you should lose all water between thursday and saturday. do you deplete water while you carb up. if you want to take extra precaution you could sleep with feet elevated.

daxxer

Awards
Yes I do deplete water while carbing up, and I think I'm ganna elevate my feet fri night...

vic the brick

Awards
you wont hold water from cardio session i would just do morning cardio thats it and start carbing that day after last workout

daxxer

Awards
I would like to carb up after last workout, but I'm still hanging about 5 or 6lbs heavy so if I start carbing I won't make weight... And I weigh in fri night at 5pm and show is sat at 10:30am, so do you think I will have enough time to carb up fri night and sat morning and what should I carb up with?

vic the brick

Awards
no you should start carbing and cut water back just 32 oz friday you should make weight. its not the food that will make you gain its fluid. atleast start thursday or you will look like crap.

daxxer

Awards
Ok thank you much!!! Just the info I was looking for!

vic the brick

Awards
i use white rice yams i also use rice cakes and preserves close to contest

daxxer

Awards
I'm just really afraid if I start to carb up thurs I won't make weight! I'm pretty sure by seeing your pic you know exactly what your doing, so I will do it!

vic the brick

Awards
well all this advice is assuming your ripped and ready but you definitly need 72 hours til fill out proberly and dry out

Collateral

Collateral

Awards
I have a question, if your the same guy as at the beginning why not use the same username as before ...

Call me skeptical but anyone could create a username called 'vic' and claim.

JajaNe20

JajaNe20

Awards
  • Established
well all this advice is assuming your ripped and ready but you definitly need 72 hours til fill out proberly and dry out
Says who??? This is a farse, from personal experience and science.. MR. "Brick."

JajaNe20

JajaNe20

Awards
  • Established
Dude, I doubt this is Vic honestly. His answers are "old school" like what they did in the 80's and that ****s been proven wrong time and time again. Daxxer is your show a non-tested or tested (for drugs) show? In my opinion I wouldn't look to bodybuilders who take drugs because their prep is going to be a lot different from yours. Also if this is Vic I still wouldn't take the advice, everyone is different and to throw out specific days and times to be doing things is just ridiculous. This has made me laugh long enough, I had to let you know Daxxer i felt bad for yah!

bdcc

bdcc

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Dude, I doubt this is Vic honestly. His answers are "old school" like what they did in the 80's and that ****s been proven wrong time and time again. Daxxer is your show a non-tested or tested (for drugs) show? In my opinion I wouldn't look to bodybuilders who take drugs because their prep is going to be a lot different from yours. Also if this is Vic I still wouldn't take the advice, everyone is different and to throw out specific days and times to be doing things is just ridiculous. This has made me laugh long enough, I had to let you know Daxxer i felt bad for yah!
Very well said. I wondered why this hadn't been asked already.

daxxer

Awards
Jajane20 thank you very much for clearing that up!! Really glad someone let me know this!! Thanks again..., and my show is not tested!

vic the brick

Awards
well this is vic the guy from raising the bar and who just won the usa. if you want more proof tell me how i can prove it. i will tweet something if you would like.
as for my advice i will say it is from my own personal experience. i start my carb up wednesday for my friday night show. i eat mostly white rice for carbs have some yams as well for the fiber. about 4-5 hours before show i switch to rice cakes and preserves. now i will say that it is hard for me to really help you unless i helped you from the start of the prep. i do a bit of prep for the last week starting three weeks out. also how you drink water is very important. i came here to answer questions based to the best of my knowledge and experience to be helpful. i dont claim to know everything but i have been successful doing things my way.

JajaNe20

JajaNe20

Awards
  • Established
Well congratulations on winning your show, doesn't it feel nice to win! Like I said your advice needs work, instead of saying do this or do that; you should say well this works for me or that works for me! You could be giving someone false hope if they show up flat because they carbed up too long (you said 72 hours which is ridiculous). If this is the real Vic or whoever you are (no idea) then just tailor your advice a little. Super compensation happens within 16-30 hours after a workout, I know if I would happen to carb up for 3 days I would be flat and smooth, it only takes me 26 hours and I'm ready for war!

vic the brick

Awards
im not going to debate even though i completely disagree with you. if you dont like my advice go to another thread. or i will just leave and you wont have me here to give advice at all. start your own thread if you want i promise i wont come in there to tell people i think your wrong. i also train from 16 weeks out for show. and BTW i trained successful OCB bodybuilders. i have have been in competition for over 11 years training for 22 years since i was 12. if anyone wants to talk to about contest prep more or seek my advice. contact me at vicdelcampo@gmail or through my facebook if you wish to talk.

JajaNe20

JajaNe20

Awards
  • Established
Calm your ego down their buddy boy, your obviously taking offense to my posts which wasn't my intent :no:. Very stubborn and non-humble guy here! I'll leave your thread, I was just making some suggestions to help this thread help others! :rofl:

JajaNe20

JajaNe20

Awards
  • Established
ok small fry ;)

vic the brick

Awards
Well congratulations on winning your show, doesn't it feel nice to win! Like I said your advice needs work, instead of saying do this or do that; you should say well this works for me or that works for me! You could be giving someone false hope if they show up flat because they carbed up too long (you said 72 hours which is ridiculous). If this is the real Vic or whoever you are (no idea) then just tailor your advice a little. Super compensation happens within 16-30 hours after a workout, I know if I would happen to carb up for 3 days I would be flat and smooth, it only takes me 26 hours and I'm ready for war!
Showing up flat from eating to many carbs is a new one to me. As flat is what happens when you do not eat enough carbs or pull to much water. Yes it feels really good to win a national title. It is huge and I worked hard for it competing for many years. I'm curios about what you have done competition wise post a pic what are you credentials. Carbing up for show in 16- 30 hrs is just plain stupid enough said. Probably you looked like ****. The carb up process is used as method to pull water. I just trained a young guy for his first show he started carbing on Wednesday after last workout we tapered his water and he went from 194 Wednesday to 186 the morning of his show dry and hard and full. I come here to help if I'm going to be accused of not being me or insulted I will simply leave. How many other top national competitors and national title winners are here helping. So it's up to you guys it's not like I get anything for helping you guys out. And as for small fry with the wink classic troll couldn't help yourself needed that last one you couldn't just leave thread. Had to get that last word in for your ego my friend. You could not carry my gym bag so piss off. ;)

JajaNe20

JajaNe20

Awards
  • Established
Your wrong buddy boy! I am the natural junior national champion sir, and while I don't brag like you your information is farse. Carbing up for 72 hours without water will leave you flat as a deflated tire! This is mythical stuff, I don't know if it works for you Anabolic steroid users, but it doesnt work naturally! So this can be where the misconceptions are, we natural guys have to drink gallons and gallons of water while carbing up because all that fluid reduces aldosterone and ADH which makes us urinate more out then we take in. You see your misinformed and we don't use dieuretics either we are not allowed, we work with the body instead of manipulating with drugs. So before you start bashing you need to refresh yourself with some physiology. I am glad your hear to help, but your advice and help is no good to us natty's, in fact, it's the exact opposite. I am done explaining to you its a waste of time to a stubborn fellow. Like i said before you should label this Vic contest prep Anabolics. I am sure tailoring it this way you can please more people! :twak:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Olympus Labs 56
Olympus Labs 145
Ape McGrapes Iconic Formulations 450
Olympus Labs 6
Olympus Labs 18