What is the best weight gainer?

diggyboo

diggyboo

Awards
Lol doesn't seem like there are a lot of people on this board that actually use weight gainer. If u got some info lay it on me!!!

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
although this same topic pops up every week its like this...marketed weight gainers are not budget friendly and you can make your own for less money, high calorie is high calorie...

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
example: 2-3 scoops whey, natty pb, fruit, honey, malto/dextrose, nesquick, oats, etc...blend and drink

NFC

NFC

Awards
i have to agree with hvactech, it's better to do a mixture of whey and other foods as a weight gainer. it's better economically speaking and you can better modify the foods to meet your intake you need for the day. when i was bulking this past winter, i was mixing quaker oats with whey and greek yogurt, for breakfast and snacks

but to answer your question. best powder form weight gainer in my opinion is ON pro complex gainer and to take a multi-enzyme formula while bulking, to help break down the foods better.

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
i have to agree with hvactech, it's better to do a mixture of whey and other foods as a weight gainer. it's better economically speaking and you can better modify the foods to meet your intake you need for the day. when i was bulking this past winter, i was mixing quaker oats with whey and greek yogurt, for breakfast and snacks

but to answer your question. best powder form weight gainer in my opinion is ON pro complex gainer and to take a multi-enzyme formula while bulking, to help break down the foods better.
i like cytogainer personally

truthornothin

truthornothin

Awards
  • Established
Lol doesn't seem like there are a lot of people on this board that actually use weight gainer. If u got some info lay it on me!!!
Pat is on the disabled list for the rest of the week with some GI issues. Weight gainer is basically protein with a bunch of carbs and or fat added in. You can usually do better and tastier by yourself. Have you seen the ridiculous serving sizes? I cannot speak for anyone save myself, but that's why I don't use it

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
cytogainer is the ONLY product i have used or will use from cytosport....

diggyboo

diggyboo

Awards
i like cytogainer personally
I've had success with UN Iso Mass, but it doesn't mix well and doesn't really taste great but it works. I've also had success with Up Your Mass, that tastes pretty good and mixes easy. I just like trying new stuff, wanted to see what everyone else is doing.

diggyboo

diggyboo

Awards

I was thinking about the ON serious mass. They usually get good reviews

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
universal real gains tastes good but i urge you to try and make your own, make it the way you want it and add the ingredients you wanna add

truthornothin

truthornothin

Awards
  • Established
I just started taking it. I recommend not getting the strawberry. It tastes like crap.
I like a couple of scoops of scivation chocolate whey in a 16oz glass of whole milk and a nice hot slab of home made brownie....now that's a tasty weightgainer

truthornothin

truthornothin

Awards
  • Established
diggyboo

diggyboo

Awards
example: 2-3 scoops whey, natty pb, fruit, honey, malto/dextrose, nesquick, oats, etc...blend and drink
That doesn't sound bad either. I might do that. Used to do something similar to my oatmeal.

yoshi5674

yoshi5674

Awards
  • Established
Here is a recipe I use. 1-2 servings of Whey or a protein blend, as much natty p-nut butter as you can stand, Yogurt (I use greek yogurt), honey, liquid egg whites, and milk. Calories depend on how much you want to use.

As far as gainers, I have had to use them since 95. And I have used everyone that has ever existed it seems. My only advice is avoid the ones with a high suger count unless you love the hershey squirts. Universal Nutrition makes Real Gains and Gain fast. I've used these 2 for the past year because you can get them rather cheap and they offer 10lb bags for $34 and $46. Thats about 30-32 servings. I usually take half of the servings. Cytogainer, Up your Mass, Iso-mass Xtreme Gainer, True Mass, and beleive it or not Mass-Tech (only one time bc it was all I could get at the time) are all gainers that I have good results with.

diggyboo

diggyboo

Awards
Here is a recipe I use. 1-2 servings of Whey or a protein blend, as much natty p-nut butter as you can stand, Yogurt (I use greek yogurt), honey, liquid egg whites, and milk. Calories depend on how much you want to use.

As far as gainers, I have had to use them since 95. And I have used everyone that has ever existed it seems. My only advice is avoid the ones with a high suger count unless you love the hershey squirts. Universal Nutrition makes Real Gains and Gain fast. I've used these 2 for the past year because you can get them rather cheap and they offer 10lb bags for $34 and $46. Thats about 30-32 servings. I usually take half of the servings. Cytogainer, Up your Mass, Iso-mass Xtreme Gainer, True Mass, and beleive it or not Mass-Tech (only one time bc it was all I could get at the time) are all gainers that I have good results with.
Thanks for the input yoshi!

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Bananas in between meals with a scoop of p butter with each bit... ;)

Patrick Arnold

Patrick Arnold

Featured Author
Awards
  • Established

if i were inclined to ingest a weight gainer i would take a chocolate protein powder and some milk along with some peanut butter and oats and blend it all up. i would drink too much and then proceed to throwup

truthornothin

truthornothin

Awards
  • Established
if i were inclined to ingest a weight gainer i would take a chocolate protein powder and some milk along with some peanut butter and oats and blend it all up. i would drink too much and then proceed to throwup
LOL I'm glad you are back with your sense of humor intact

diggyboo

diggyboo

Awards
Nice! Lol

mattys4

mattys4

Awards
my high calorie post workout shake recipe

1 scoop optimun whey vanilla 1 scoop optimum chocolate 25 grams malto 25 grams dextrose 1 banana 2 servings 4 tbs adams natural pb
48 protein 70 carbs 32 fat tastes great but if drink too quick it makes my stomach upset must be 700-800 calories of awesomeness

mattys4

mattys4

Awards
Food is a weight gainer. If you want to gain weight eat food. If your not gaining any weight, eat more food until you do.
And its also the best tasting weight gainer

Patrick Arnold

Patrick Arnold

Featured Author
Awards
  • Established
my high calorie post workout shake recipe

1 scoop optimun whey vanilla 1 scoop optimum chocolate 25 grams malto 25 grams dextrose 1 banana 2 servings 4 tbs adams natural pb
48 protein 70 carbs 32 fat tastes great but if drink too quick it makes my stomach upset must be 700-800 calories of awesomeness

i forgot the banana

when i was a teenager i used to make this stuff called peanut roll. peanut butter, honey, and milk & egg protein (before there was whey and casein there were only two choices in protein pretty much - soy and milk & egg). mix it all up and roll it into a log. put it in wax paper and put in fridge. it was like eating lead

Patrick Arnold

Patrick Arnold

Featured Author
Awards
  • Established
Food is a weight gainer. If you want to gain weight eat food. If your not gaining any weight, eat more food until you do.
i find food that tastes good is the best for gaining weight.

food that does not taste good OTOH is great for cutting

mattys4

mattys4

Awards
i forgot the banana

when i was a teenager i used to make this stuff called peanut roll. peanut butter, honey, and milk & egg protein (before there was whey and casein there were only two choices in protein pretty much - soy and milk & egg). mix it all up and roll it into a log. put it in wax paper and put in fridge. it was like eating lead
sounds great.... so i guess we are a lil spoiled nowadays with our nutritional supplements. I mean some casein shakes taste like desserts well to me anyway i eat almost only meat and veggies so anything with flavor tastes even better to me.

Patrick Arnold

Patrick Arnold

Featured Author
Awards
  • Established
. I mean some casein shakes taste like desserts well to me anyway.
the chocolate cake batter casein from ON is like a desert. i drink it with some soymilk and make it thick like pudding. add some peanut butter in there and its unbelievable

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
the chocolate cake batter casein from ON is like a desert. i drink it with some soymilk and make it thick like pudding. add some peanut butter in there and its unbelievable

Soy milk?. You mean your not deathly scared of soy?. I've seen so many ridiculous threads on here about people avoiding soy like its the plague, thinking its gonna grow them a pair of boobs. I remember one thread where this kid was going into the supermarkets and looking at every single brand on tuna to make sure it didn't have any soy in it before he purchased. I don't drink Soy myself, but I also don't believe its gonna to turn me into a female. The hysteria about it on this board is sky high. If I get some soy in my diet so be it. I've even read that it can be beneficial.

Patrick Arnold

Patrick Arnold

Featured Author
Awards
  • Established
Soy milk?. You mean your not deathly scared of soy?. I've seen so many ridiculous threads on here about people avoiding soy like its the plague, thinking its gonna grow them a pair of boobs. I remember one thread where this kid was going into the supermarkets and looking at every single brand on tuna to make sure it didn't have any soy in it before he purchased. I don't drink Soy myself, but I also don't believe its gonna to turn me into a female. The hysteria about it on this board is sky high. If I get some soy in my diet so be it. I've even read that it can be beneficial.

i know people roll their eyes when they say i drink soy milk. but i dont drink cow milk anymore because i dont think its great for my digestive system. and the other options - rice, almond etc. are all high in carbs compared to soy milk

i dont drink anymore than a cup or cup and a half of the stuff a day. If i were drinking 5 cups then i would be concerned about estrogenic effects on the HPTA but a cup and a half is below any threshold of problems i believe.

SXIPro

SXIPro

Awards
  • Established
Wendy's Super Bar. I've got a friend that moved to Cali a long time ago. He gained over 60 lbs in one year eating at Wendy's super bar every day.
He went from a skinny bean pole into a bloated tick in 12 short months.

Patrick Arnold

Patrick Arnold

Featured Author
Awards
  • Established
Wendy's Super Bar. I've got a friend that moved to Cali a long time ago. He gained over 60 lbs in one year eating at Wendy's super bar every day.
He went from a skinny bean pole into a bloated tick in 12 short months.
i dont think they had those in connecticut

SXIPro

SXIPro

Awards
  • Established
i dont think they had those in connecticut
They had them in Massachusetts. It was all you can eat and included dessert. Honest to God I've seen people eat their weight in 'salad' and then fill a plate with a pile of chocolate pudding you could fill a pot hole with. Uggh. Long time ago though. Around '82 or '84 I think.

Patrick Arnold

Patrick Arnold

Featured Author
Awards
  • Established
They had them in Massachusetts. It was all you can eat and included dessert. Honest to God I've seen people eat their weight in 'salad' and then fill a plate with a pile of chocolate pudding you could fill a pot hole with. Uggh. Long time ago though. Around '82 or '84 I think.

y'know, i think they did have those actually. yeah i remember now. people used to make huge taco salads. i usually just got a double cheeseburger

Patrick Arnold

Patrick Arnold

Featured Author
Awards
  • Established
it's funny that people **** all over soy for the estrogenic effects it might have, but then they drink half a gallon of hormone rich milk!

for more info:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19496976

absolutely

also, its funny how people get all in a tizzy over cows that are given bGH (which leaves no troublesome residues in milk) yet they dont worry about this estrogen problem. This may be a case of lack of education

D3Baseball

Awards
absolutely

also, its funny how people get all in a tizzy over cows that are given bGH (which leaves no troublesome residues in milk) yet they dont worry about this estrogen problem. This may be a case of lack of education
****, am I not supposed to drink milk now? No wonder people run PH/AAS when every random food item is claimed to **** up natural hormone levels

Patrick Arnold

Patrick Arnold

Featured Author
Awards
  • Established
****, am I not supposed to drink milk now? No wonder people run PH/AAS when every random food item is claimed to **** up natural hormone levels
i am more concerned about milk in kids and people whose sex hormone balance is highly sensitive to exogenous influences. A bodybuilder that is taking steroids will hardly risk any influence from the small amount of estrogens present in milk

staple

Awards
hate to rain on your parade even more but watch the doc Food Inc and you'll be buying organic chicken too

MuscleGauge1

MuscleGauge1

Board Sponsor
Awards
I think chicken and steak. LOTS OF IT. Is the best weight gainer. not being a smart ass. I've put on 20 pds of muscle in the past 3 years and changing the Whey I eat has been the biggest change. I also make sure I use milk for my shakes and always add PB and oats also for extra cals. I like to do this instead of buying the weight gainer protein with carbs. I figure if I'm going to get carbs in, I want them to be good ones.

D3Baseball

Awards
i am more concerned about milk in kids and people whose sex hormone balance is highly sensitive to exogenous influences. A bodybuilder that is taking steroids will hardly risk any influence from the small amount of estrogens present in milk
That's what I'm saying - gotta supplement exogenous hormones to combat the exogenous hormones that are reported to be popping up in our food sources. Maybe the extravagant amounts of milk I had through my youth is why I still have pubertal gyno at age 21.

staple

Awards
That's what I'm saying - gotta supplement exogenous hormones to combat the exogenous hormones that are reported to be popping up in our food sources. Maybe the extravagant amounts of milk I had through my youth is why I still have pubertal gyno at age 21.
probably didn't help at all

plastics, hormones, other environmental estrogens and contaminants... we look back at the way tobacco was covered up, and then we look back at "patent" medicine with opiods, and can we be so foolish to think that in today's world we are not simply battling a new health problem in plain sight?

Patrick Arnold

Patrick Arnold

Featured Author
Awards
  • Established
probably didn't help at all

plastics, hormones, other environmental estrogens and contaminants... ?

these xenobiotic estrogens are very weak. They should have no discernable impact on mature adults, however babies and kids may be at risk. And disrupting the endocrine system at a young age can have consequences throughout ones life

D3Baseball

Awards
these xenobiotic estrogens are very weak. They should have no discernable impact on mature adults, however babies and kids may be at risk. And disrupting the endocrine system at a young age can have consequences throughout ones life
Finally I have something to blame my lack of gains on!

truthornothin

truthornothin

Awards
  • Established
What about the phyto estrogens in soy milk ?

Patrick Arnold

Patrick Arnold

Featured Author
Awards
  • Established
What about the phyto estrogens in soy milk ?
as in what about they do to kids?

that is an interesting question. obviously kids in places like japan eat a lot of soy growing up

i think isoflavones are not assoicated with the dangerous estrogenicity (i.e. carcinogenicity) that synthetic estrogen mimetics like bisphenol-A are. Still, they can disrupt the HPTA

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Supplements 12
thehulk98 Supplements 39
Supplements 25
Bulking 65
Supplements 27