Powercage

Powercage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Hey PA,
How do you recommend dosing your Curcumin and piperine (bioperine)? Currently using LE Super Bio-Curc

Thanks

Patrick Arnold

Patrick Arnold

Featured Author
Awards
  • Established
Hey PA,
How do you recommend dosing your Curcumin and piperine (bioperine)? Currently using LE Super Bio-Curc

Thanks
i havent taken it in a while. when i did, i followed the popular protocols.

its a promising compound, however i only bother to take so many pills a day and lately i have cut curcumin out of the mix

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
I guess I'll click that link since you're a female

0071982WC

0071982WC

Awards
Hey PA,

Thanks
Just buy some turmeric at the local whole foods store and add it to your food, that way you don't have the additives from caps.

Patrick Arnold

Patrick Arnold

Featured Author
Awards
  • Established
Just buy some turmeric at the local whole foods store and add it to your food, that way you don't have the additives from caps.
we know how dangerous gelatin is....

nattydisaster

nattydisaster

PESCIENCE.com
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I like everything about curcumin except the fact it is very strongly activates AMPK, which shuts off mTOR in skeletal muscle. Although I am interested in what pat thinks of this.

A number of good ingredients have shown to increase AMPK a good amount. Berberine for example does, and also has data showing it caused mild muscle atrophy which could ahve been caused from the fact it inhibited mTOR via AMPK activation.

The study said the atrophy was caused by atrogin-1 stimulation. AMPK activation causes atrogin-1 stimulation.

So lots of negatives regarding muscle growth and AMPK activation

Royd The Noyd

Royd The Noyd

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I like everything about curcumin except the fact it is very strongly activates AMPK, which shuts off mTOR in skeletal muscle. Although I am interested in what pat thinks of this.

A number of good ingredients have shown to increase AMPK a good amount. Berberine for example does, and also has data showing it caused mild muscle atrophy which could ahve been caused from the fact it inhibited mTOR via AMPK activation.

The study said the atrophy was caused by atrogin-1 stimulation. AMPK activation causes atrogin-1 stimulation
There are a couple different AMPK isoforms. Which if i remember correctly are tissue specific. Might be worth looking into.

Patrick Arnold

Patrick Arnold

Featured Author
Awards
  • Established

The study said the atrophy was caused by atrogin-1 stimulation. AMPK activation causes atrogin-1 stimulation

ursolic acid reduces atrogin-1 expression

"As discussed above, atrogin-1 and MuRF1 are transcriptionallyupregulated by atrophy-inducing stresses (Sacheck et al.,
2007; and Figure 1B), and they are required for muscle atrophy
(Bodine et al., 2001a). Moreover, in our studies of fasted mice,
we found that ursolic acid reduced atrogin-1 and MuRF1 mRNAs
(Figure 2H). Consistent with that finding, the arrays indicated
that dietary ursolic acid reduced atrogin-1 mRNA, which was
the most highly repressed mRNA measured on the array"

i understand the ampk - mTOR seesaw issue. but i dunno if its something that you should base everything on when it comes to compounds like curcumin with such a wide array of effects

nattydisaster

nattydisaster

PESCIENCE.com
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
That is a great mechanism by UA to increase muscle hypertrophy and/or be anti-catabolic then.

Sexy stuff

Patrick Arnold

Patrick Arnold

Featured Author
Awards
  • Established
Magnesium sterate....
magnesium is a mineral most athletes are deficient in

stearic acid is one of the most common dietary fatty acids found in food

but those are moot points anyone because the amount of mag stearate used for excipient purposes is trivial

try again

0071982WC

0071982WC

Awards
No point, I obviously cannot debate on your level of intellect ......

Patrick Arnold

Patrick Arnold

Featured Author
Awards
  • Established
No point, I obviously cannot debate on your level of intellect ......
its not really about intellect, its about knowledge. i am really kinda dumb, i just know alot of stuph

i was that kid that sat in the corner of homeroom and rocked back and forth

broons

Awards
  • Established
magnesium is a mineral most athletes are deficient in

stearic acid is one of the most common dietary fatty acids found in food

but those are moot points anyone because the amount of mag stearate used for excipient purposes is trivial

try again
Just playing Devils advocate here. Titanium dioxide could possibly raise concern, however as with mag stearate quantities used in caps are most likely trivial. However, with the amount of caps some people consume who knows. Particularly if they were ultrafine particles.

Patrick Arnold

Patrick Arnold

Featured Author
Awards
  • Established
are you being sarcastic?

is that ok? is sarcasm ok to do on this board? because apparently alot of people here find it very upsetting.

Patrick Arnold

Patrick Arnold

Featured Author
Awards
  • Established
Just playing Devils advocate here. Titanium dioxide could possibly raise concern, however as with mag stearate quantities used in caps are most likely trivial. However, with the amount of caps some people consume who knows. Particularly if they were ultrafine particles.
are you talking about mag or tit?

Patrick Arnold

Patrick Arnold

Featured Author
Awards
  • Established
Tit dioxide. As I said, just playing devils advocate

well when its used its used in very small amounts. Its considered to be non-toxic at that dose. of course on the internetz you can always find someone who is crying about the toxicity of whatever

titanium is found in the soil everywhere i believe. you probably ingest it all the time when eating fruits and veggies

broons

Awards
  • Established
well when its used its used in very small amounts. Its considered to be non-toxic at that dose. of course on the internetz you can always find someone who is crying about the toxicity of whatever

titanium is found in the soil everywhere i believe. you probably ingest it all the time when eating fruits and veggies
Yes, I would agree with you. I brought it up for the sake of discussion only. The IARC has classified it as "possibly carcinogenic to humans" due to some rat studies and industrial observations but the amounts involved are exponentially larger than what's in a few caps.

Anyways, this thread was about curcumin I apologize for derailing it a little bit there.

Vegking

Awards
is that ok? is sarcasm ok to do on this board? because apparently alot of people here find it very upsetting.
of course it is okay. your forum anyway. I just didn't know, I'm a little slow on the uptake sometimes. thanks.

DkGreek

DkGreek

Awards
  • Established
Turmeric is a good seasoning but damn it's terrible for your breath.

Caps with Bioperine is the way to go I suppose.

truthornothin

truthornothin

Awards
  • Established
Hey PA,

Thanks
I prefer taking mine in Pork Vindaloo

makeveli12

Awards
Curcumin from what I gather is an inhibitor of tgf-b. There is a thread on the site which makes a connection between ursolic acid, tgf-b and myostatin. Maybe this is why there are studies which have shown curcumin and muscle tissue regeneration.

Force of Green

Force of Green

Awards
  • Established
its not really about intellect, its about knowledge. i am really kinda dumb, i just know alot of stuph

i was that kid that sat in the corner of homeroom and rocked back and forth
Well I guess that makes 2 of us. And it takes more than 2 to tango... or something like that?

Patrick Arnold

Patrick Arnold

Featured Author
Awards
  • Established
what is AOR

Patrick Arnold

Patrick Arnold

Featured Author
Awards
  • Established
i dont pay attention to other supplement companies or their products anymore. maybe thats good, maybe thats bad. 95% of the stuff out there is crap so i figure i save alot of frustration by just minding my own bizness

PuZo

Awards
  • Established
i dont pay attention to other supplement companies or their products anymore. maybe thats good, maybe thats bad. 95% of the stuff out there is crap so i figure i save alot of frustration by just minding my own bizness
It is/was arguably the best multi on the market...

Vitamins
Vitamin A Complex
-Retinol (Palmitate)200mcg/110 mcg RAE
Natural-Source Mixed Carotenoids:
Beta-carotene1.8 mg
Cryptoxanthin 250mcg208 IU
Lutein6.8mg
Astaxanthin2mg
Lycopene5mg
Vitamin B Complex
B1 (Thiamine)9mg
B2 (Riboflavin)2.5mg
B3 (Niacin)(as 126 mg Inositol Hexanicotinate)115mg
B5 (d-Ca Pantothenate)100mg
B6 (Pyridoxal 5' Phosphate)100mg
B12 (Methylcobalamin)647mcg
Folic Acid (5-methyltetrahydrofolate)800mcg
Biotin300mcg
Choline (from Bitartrate)100mg
Inositol100mg
Vitamin C Complex
-Vitamin C (as Magnesium Ascorbate)120mg
-Mixed Citrus Bioflavonoids25mg
Vitamin D3 (Cholecalciferol)25mcg1000 IU
Vitamin E Complex
Mixed Tocopherols: 99.6mg
RRR-Alpha-Tocopherol13.8mg
Gamma-Tocopherol58.2mg
Delta-Tocopherol27.6mg
Mixed Tocotrienols:10mg
alpha-tocotrienol3mg
gamma-tocotrienol5.5mg
delta-tocotrienol1.5 mg
Vitamin K2 Menatetrenone120mcg
MINERALS
Boron (Citrate)700mcg
Calcium (Calcium carbonate, Citrate-Malate, d-Ca Pantothenate)300mg
Chromium (Picolinate)100mcg
Copper (Citrate)1.5mg
Iodine (Potassium Iodide)150mcg
Magnesium (Aspartate, Oxide, Ascorbate, Chlorophyllin)210mg
Potassium (Chloride)50mg
Manganese (Bisglycinate)2.3mg
Molybdenum (Na Molybdate)45mcg
Selenium (Selenomethionine)55mcg
Silicon (Na Metasilicate)25mg
Vanadium (Citrate)18mcg
Zinc (Citrate)11mg
Phytonutrients & Antioxidants
Trans-Resveratrol1.8mg
Grape Seed Extract (85% Oligomeric proanthocyanidins)100mg
Alpha-Lipoic Acid150mg
Co-EnzymeQ10 (ubidecarenone)30mg
Green Tea Extract (45% EgCG)140mg
N-Acetylcysteine (NAC)200mg
Quercetin (dihydrate)65mg

Patrick Arnold

Patrick Arnold

Featured Author
Awards
  • Established
i will just stick with my generic store bought vitamin and mineral. if i want 1.8mg of trans-resveratrol I'll eat a grape

PuZo

Awards
  • Established
i will just stick with my generic store bought vitamin and mineral. if i want 1.8mg of trans-resveratrol I'll eat a grape
I'd be more concerned if you bought a multi solely for the trans-resveratrol...