Shoulder Bursitis-Tendonitis

mcs5309

Awards
At 53 now, I guess I should expect to see some wear and tear issues, especially being all natural.

I had an MRI and was diagnosed with bursitis-tendontis in my left shoulder a few months back. I also have it in my left elbow joint but was not diagnosed. I went to an ART (active release technique) doc who has been pushing me to do specific stability-enhancing exercises to prevent further inflammation and damage. In the meantime, he sent me to a sports MD who administered an IM injection of Kenalog which after a couple days reduced the inflammation to almost zero. I was told to eliminate lateral raises and machine presses. I have been a big fan of lateral raises for many years, but now it is way too painful to do even 1 rep. So I abstained from them and the presses.

After a week or two of doing everything else, the inflammation came back even worse! I cannot raise my shoulder now without sharp pain, weight or no weight. Now a couple months into this, I returned for a follow-up visit to the sports MD. He refused to give another K. shot and suggested PT or to continue doing the ART exercises. He also suggested to do no resistance movement pushing or pulling away from the torso (that would include all presses, lat pulldowns, raises, flyes, pushups). Not what I wanted to hear.

Since this is my first chronic injury that isn't going away, I am at a loss as to what my best option is. I really don't want to start popping ibuprofen either. The ART docs says that if all I want is to get shots to relieve the pain, then that's a lazy man's way out and don't waste time doing any of the ART exercises - but how are the ART exercises going to help relieve the shoulder pain which is what I need to do NOW? I cannot stand not being able to do my workouts and am totally lost at this point.

The ART doc further mentioned it might not be a bad idea to look into TRT (he's on it himself) and peptides or rHGH to help speed recovery. I am supplementing with many OTC joint formulas also. On a side not, my free T is very low, but my total T was 623. SHBG was 60+ too high. E2 too low @10.

Any suggestions?

Jag

Jag

Awards
  • Established
DMSO. I have the roll-on so i highly recommend that delivery but do some reading on it first.

After having shoulder issues on and off for 3 or so years this stuff started working on the 4th day.

I'm not getting excited and rushing back into heavy benches or anything but instead be smart, for the first time, and stick to my my modified routine and push it just a little bit when i'm feeling good.

bad rad

bad rad

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Listen to the ART, lots of joint pain is from toned/trigger point muscles than pull the joint out of alignment. It took a few week to get mine realigned. The stability stuff is huge is relieving the pain, it teaches the body to turn the muscles back on in the righ order. The ibuprofen will help relieve the swelling in the white tissues, this is good because when they swell they tear. Your low free T and estrogen will exacerbate the problem, getting those under control will do wonders for your recovery.

usealittle

usealittle

Awards
  • Established
DMSO. I have the roll-on so i highly recommend that delivery but do some reading on it first.

After having shoulder issues on and off for 3 or so years this stuff started working on the 4th day.

I'm not getting excited and rushing back into heavy benches or anything but instead be smart, for the first time, and stick to my my modified routine and push it just a little bit when i'm feeling good.

^^^ this... also i add in 2-3 uncoated asprin into my dmso.... really helps with swelling.

mcs5309

Awards
Listen to the ART, lots of joint pain is from toned/trigger point muscles than pull the joint out of alignment. It took a few week to get mine realigned. The stability stuff is huge is relieving the pain, it teaches the body to turn the muscles back on in the righ order. The ibuprofen will help relieve the swelling in the white tissues, this is good because when they swell they tear. Your low free T and estrogen will exacerbate the problem, getting those under control will do wonders for your recovery.
These are the A.R.T. exercises my doc has me doing. My question though is - what do these movements do to directly help heal the shoulder tendonitis-bursitis?

Since I'm unable to post links, please go to youtube and copy and paste these links:
Foam Rolling: Latissimus Dorsi: youtube.com/watch?v=y1HHGKn6gws
Reverse Push- Ups: youtube.com/watch?v=ajf8xkq_A14
Front Facing Wall Angels: youtube.com/watch?v=uRcNo1-N-DY&feature=youtu.be
Shoulder Stabilization part 1: youtube.com/watch?v=7rw69kDgC0Q
Shoulder Stabilization part 2: youtube.com/watch?v=Pq6RTzXeMps
Thoracic Spine Extension & Mobilization: youtube.com/watch?v=haROgPg19IU
Glute Activation Bridge: youtube.com/watch?v=7v9MLzPqBw8

bad rad

bad rad

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
These are the A.R.T. exercises my doc has me doing. My question though is - what do these movements do to directly help heal the shoulder tendonitis-bursitis?

Since I'm unable to post links, please go to youtube and copy and paste these links:
Foam Rolling: Latissimus Dorsi: Can pull the shoulder complex out of alignment and usually tight or neglected
Reverse Push- Ups: reactivates the teres and rhomboids to pull scapula back and realign the shoulder complex
Front Facing Wall Angels: joint mobility, gets things moving as they should
Shoulder Stabilization part 1: realign the scapula to release impengement
Shoulder Stabilization part 2: strengthens all the little muscles you can't really train but keep everything aligned
Thoracic Spine Extension & Mobilization: this is also neglected but helps to release the all the back muscles adhesions
Glute Activation Bridge: weak butts cause back pain and slouching, look into some bands for glute activation exercises
Those are fairly standard and now part of my lifting routine. I spent a lot of time in rehab after my Achilles ruptured twice. My whole body was a wreck but I listened to the PT and did my exercises like above, now except of the strength of my calf I feel better than I did 10 yrs ago. ​See red.

Ballesteri

Ballesteri

Awards

Foam Rolling: Latissimus Dorsi: youtube.com/watch?v=y1HHGKn6gws
Reverse Push- Ups: youtube.com/watch?v=ajf8xkq_A14
Front Facing Wall Angels: youtube.com/watch?v=uRcNo1-N-DY&feature=youtu.be
Shoulder Stabilization part 1: youtube.com/watch?v=7rw69kDgC0Q
Shoulder Stabilization part 2: youtube.com/watch?v=Pq6RTzXeMps
Thoracic Spine Extension & Mobilization: youtube.com/watch?v=haROgPg19IU
Glute Activation Bridge: youtube.com/watch?v=7v9MLzPqBw8
Thanks for listing those. Do your shoulders ever make a popping noise and if so do these help with that. I see you posted on 12-17, so far on a scale of 1 to 10 how much do you think these exercises have helped?

mcs5309

Awards
Thanks for listing those. Do your shoulders ever make a popping noise and if so do these help with that. I see you posted on 12-17, so far on a scale of 1 to 10 how much do you think these exercises have helped?
It's actually not atop the shoulder, it's lateral where the top of the arm intersects with the shoulder. Can't do lateral raises or shoulder presses because of the pain. No popping noise. So far, these haven't really helped any of the pain, but then again, I haven't been religious in doing them daily as advised.

mcs5309

Awards
Those are fairly standard and now part of my lifting routine. I spent a lot of time in rehab after my Achilles ruptured twice. My whole body was a wreck but I listened to the PT and did my exercises like above, now except of the strength of my calf I feel better than I did 10 yrs ago. ​See red.
Thanks for the commentary. So, on the lat roll, you say it will pull me out of alignment? I hate that one anyway, I can't do it without extreme pain. The other ones, especially the reverse pushups and wall angels I do the most.

Others have advised I have impingement syndrome and the only option is surgery, but I have no bone spurs. Going in first thing tomorrow to the ortho doc for a followup.

bad rad

bad rad

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Thanks for the commentary. So, on the lat roll, you say it will pull me out of alignment? I hate that one anyway, I can't do it without extreme pain. The other ones, especially the reverse pushups and wall angels I do the most.

Others have advised I have impingement syndrome and the only option is surgery, but I have no bone spurs. Going in first thing tomorrow to the ortho doc for a followup.
No tight lats will pull your shoulder joints out of alignment. When it comes to rolling, if it hurts then the muscle is full of adhesions and lacks flexibility. From what I've seen unless there is bone damage corrective therapies done correctly can alleviate most issues.

Jag

Jag

Awards
  • Established
Both of my shoulders have gone out on me. Bursitis, arthritis, impingement, scar tissue, 2 years of orthopedic telling me surgery and total of 5 cortisone shots. Shots usually help for 4 months. Hurt so bad I could not turn the steering wheel on my truck. Too many years of hard labor job and heavy lifting at the gym. My neck was also giving pain. Bone spurs and collapsed discs.
Went to a chiropractor and shoulders and neck have been doing great. That and I stopped doing delt work outs for almost a year. But now I'm back in the gym lifting like before. Without surgery. I would suggest having a Chiro take a look before going under knife. For me surgery means unable to work with no paycheck. It doesn't work for everyone but it made a world of difference to me
Nice result. I bet you went through a lot of depression and frustration before that though. Just have to learn from your mistakes and organise your training to keep you going and never let that happen again.

RockNRollaX

Awards
Have you tried any specific vitamins or supplements? I know it's minor but when you can bring down the inflammation even a little it has a good effect on reducing pain. I'm talking naturally of course. Curcumin has helped me lately with my shoulder inflammation. Also things like ALCAR and Phosphatidylserine. Sharp-PS Gold is a good Phos mix including extra Omega oil. Those 3 (Curcumin, ALCAR & Sharp PS) have made a noticeable difference. I have a cartilage tear in the front of my labrum, been there for 5-6 years with constant pain and shoulder popping on and off depending on how heavy I'm lifting.

mcs5309

Awards
Have you tried any specific vitamins or supplements? I know it's minor but when you can bring down the inflammation even a little it has a good effect on reducing pain. I'm talking naturally of course. Curcumin has helped me lately with my shoulder inflammation. Also things like ALCAR and Phosphatidylserine. Sharp-PS Gold is a good Phos mix including extra Omega oil. Those 3 (Curcumin, ALCAR & Sharp PS) have made a noticeable difference. I have a cartilage tear in the front of my labrum, been there for 5-6 years with constant pain and shoulder popping on and off depending on how heavy I'm lifting.
I take all that and then some. No change. What helped thus far:
2nd injection of Kenalog, rest, refraining from shoulder and chest presses.

Jag

Jag

Awards
  • Established
For the last 4 weeks i've started front pressing on the smith machine. I started with no weight, kept the reps at 10 and the increased the weight by 5 or 10 pounds when i feel the need. Now i'm up to 40lbs each side with no pain while i'm doing the movement or after. That's heavy enough for me so now i'm just decreasing the rest between sets.

After that i do one-arm laterals while leaning to the side so i'm just getting the bottom stroke of the movement and coming nowhere near paralall. Nice and slow and really feeling it.

I do biceps first which warms up the area and acts a bit like a cushion. I also do NO stretching at all compared to the 15-20 minutes i USED to do and getting no relief at all.

I owe all this to the DMSO. The only time i use it now is after any workout involving shoulders.

I've also just started using D-Aspartic Acid so maybe that's helping a bit to with the extra test increase, which is very noticeable.

mcs5309

Awards
For the last 4 weeks i've started front pressing on the smith machine. I started with no weight, kept the reps at 10 and the increased the weight by 5 or 10 pounds when i feel the need. Now i'm up to 40lbs each side with no pain while i'm doing the movement or after. That's heavy enough for me so now i'm just decreasing the rest between sets.

After that i do one-arm laterals while leaning to the side so i'm just getting the bottom stroke of the movement and coming nowhere near paralall. Nice and slow and really feeling it.

I do biceps first which warms up the area and acts a bit like a cushion. I also do NO stretching at all compared to the 15-20 minutes i USED to do and getting no relief at all.

I owe all this to the DMSO. The only time i use it now is after any workout involving shoulders.

I've also just started using D-Aspartic Acid so maybe that's helping a bit to with the extra test increase, which is very noticeable.
In my case, I would be afraid I'd re-inflame the injury, as I have tried both after the last shot and I got way worse. Believe me, I would love to start doing presses and laterals (my favorite) again, but it's been 2 weeks doing everything but presses/shoulder work and I feel a whole lot better.

Jag

Jag

Awards
  • Established
In my case, I would be afraid I'd re-inflame the injury, as I have tried both after the last shot and I got way worse. Believe me, I would love to start doing presses and laterals (my favorite) again, but it's been 2 weeks doing everything but presses/shoulder work and I feel a whole lot better.
Then that's all the matters then. You just have to find out what works.

I posted that more to give an update rather than advice but i'd be stoked if someone got something useful out of it as well.

At my worst i couldn't hang a shirt on the clothes line, hold a steering wheel or sleep on my left side without pain and even the motion of my arm while i was walking hurt so i understand completely the frustration.

I really study anatomy charts now and look at every single little intricate muscle that holds the injured area together and figure out a way to strengthen those while trying to avoid the actual area. There's a lot of trial and error but it's worth it and sort of fun. The human body is amazing when you take a close look at it.

mcs5309

Awards
Then that's all the matters then. You just have to find out what works.

I posted that more to give an update rather than advice but i'd be stoked if someone got something useful out of it as well.

At my worst i couldn't hang a shirt on the clothes line, hold a steering wheel or sleep on my left side without pain and even the motion of my arm while i was walking hurt so i understand completely the frustration.

I really study anatomy charts now and look at every single little intricate muscle that holds the injured area together and figure out a way to strengthen those while trying to avoid the actual area. There's a lot of trial and error but it's worth it and sort of fun. The human body is amazing when you take a close look at it.
I will always be true to the traditional BBing movements, but my ART doc says don't ever do them again if you want to remain injury-free. He especially hates machine exercises because they don't build stability. I know I'm stubborn and need to bring out my delts as they are a weak part, so I will always risk injury. In my case, it's impingement syndrome. I hear what he's saying and don't want to risk surgery as a last resort, but I don't want to have weak delts either - a dilemma.

usealittle

usealittle

Awards
  • Established
^^^^ the bbing life style isn't really about being strong it's more about looking like it. So 1-2 sets of high reps for the pump and to get blood flowing would work to make them "look" strong.

Jag

Jag

Awards
  • Established
Many years ago i did everything to bring my shoulders up but nothing seemed to work and they always lacked that round fullness.

Then one night it occurred to me to do the opposite. So instead of doing everything i did no direct shoulder work at all but i was also doing heavy inclines and incline flyes and heavy rowing, high pulls, deadlifts etc for back and all of a sudden i noticed my shoulders responding.

I also did dips for triceps and narrow grip reverse pulldowns for biceps on arm day as well so my shoulders had more than enough work right there without doing any more direct work.

Even when i did resume shoulder training it was never more than 2 exercises. Presses and wide grip upright rows worked a treat for me.

Maybe no direct work will work for you to. If you haven't tried it already that is.

bad rad

bad rad

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
One thing I did when I was in so much pain was Vince Gironda's 8x8 training. It allowed me to train hard without hurting myself again. My strength went into the crapper though. It's great for body composition and the look but that's about it.