One can never get too much MOTIVATION!

Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last

1. Finally have a moment to post my workout today...first off I'll say that by the time I got to the gym I was just going through the motions. Did a few warm up sets on deads then did my first working set and it just felt so freaking light! So I just kept adding weight lol...every exercise was like that. Total focus and muscle/mind connection. I never broke form and was squeezed every rep!

Deads: 265x15, 275x12 (could have done more but my grip gave out), 280x13 (with straps)
    HS Iso-row: 140x15, 150x15, 160x12 (this surprised me the most because usually I'm so spent after the deads that I can barely hold on, but that wasn't the case this time...felt very strong doing these, and LOVED it!)
    Pulldown: 110x15, x13, x10 (I upped the weight to 240, grabbed hold of the bar and did 5 reverse shrugs then dropped it to 120 to do more but my grip was done...I couldn't hold on any more)

What seemed like a morning that would bring about yet another mediocre workout, it fell right in line with the rest of the week and resulted in an all around great experience! Tomorrow is shoulders...I think I'll incorporate shoulder presses so I can put some heavier weight on my delts.

Also, I bought some citrulline and EFAs...always knew I needed to supp omegas but just never did. What is a good dose to start at with the citrulline? From what I've read 6g/day has shown good results so I was thinking 2g 3/day. Does it matter if it's empty stomach or with meals?

2. Good stuff man, I bet you could have some 325-350 deads in the low rep range based on those numbers.

I have read the same about 6g, but I take 4 with some orange juice about 45 min before anything active and it's perfect.

3. Shoulders felt good today. I just wish I could get a skin splitting pump in my shoulders like I get in my chest and arms. It's not for lack of working my shoulders either.

DB OH press: 40x15, 45x10, x9
    DB BO rev delt fly: 15x15x3
    DB front raise: 20x16, 25x15, x15
    DB lat raise: 15x16, x12, x8

My shoulders were SHOT by the end of the workout. It felt good I just didn't feel as pumped as I thought I should after hitting them that hard.
    Where it all started

4. Chest workout:

DB inc fly - 45x12, x12, x10
    HS inc press - 130x12, x6, x7 (not sure where that last rep came from on my last set. I pushed thinking I wouldn't complete it because that's what I did on set 2 but I just kept pushing and the weights kept moving lol...didn't break form either)
    Cable x-over - 75x12, x10, x10 (forced to failure)

Before I left I felt all sorts of energy so I laid on the flat bench and started repping the bar as fast as I could until my chest was so blown up it felt like it would burst!

It's 11:30am now and I feel like I've taken caffeine for the first time...except that I'm always consuming caffeine! Energy is through the roof...hands are shaking and I get tongue tied when I talk, like my brain has moved past the thought I was trying to express before my mouth was done expressing it lol. I'm assuming that it has something to so with Musclepharm Recon which I started taking today...i also supplemented 3k mg of citrulline pre-wo on top of what I get from animal rage and xtend (total of 5k).
    Where it all started

5. Back day today...good news is I broke new barriers:

Deads 295x10x3

Bad news is that I had nothing left afterwards. I'm wondering if I'd benefit more from alternating a light weight/high rep week with a heavy weight/low rep/more sets week. It just seems like that's what my body wants to do. The heavy week I would just workout m/w/f and do 5x5s, Squats/Bench/Deads...the following week I'd basically do what my current workout is. Any thoughts?

6. I think you know my thoughts on that topic.

7. Quote Originally Posted by kisaj View Post
    I think you know my thoughts on that topic.
    I do...thought it might be a move in the right direction, dedicating every other week to just heavy compound movements. The thing that scares me though is that I don't have a partner so going heavy could be dangerous. Especially on the bench press
    Where it all started

8. No need to go to failure, or even 2 rep max. You can stay heavy and stay in the 3-4 range while still maintaining benefits. Don't be thinking about hitting the machines to make up for this either!

9. No...I'm going free weights all the way. Squats, Deads, Bench...I'll start hitting it monday.
    Where it all started

10. Been sleeping pretty good lately...straight through the night but I have to say I really didn't want to get up this morning. Nothing a dose of C4 can't remedy though. Got to the gym and blasted my shoulders:

DB OH Press - 45x12, x12, x10
    Rev Fly Machine - 40x15, 45x15, 60x15 (once I was able to focus in on the rear delts, this gave me an awesome pump!)
    Front raise - 25x15, x15, x10
    Sat on the lat raise machine and burned them out for 20+ reps.

My workouts felt good this week but I'm DEFINITELY ready to start going heavy...i can just feel it! Question: I take ON whey protein 1.5 hours before I workout and recon immediately after...would I still benefit from drinking BCAAs intra w/o?
    Where it all started

11. Heavy leg day...

Squats: [warmup barx10, 135x10, 185x7] 205x6, 215x6, 225x5, 225x5
    Leg extensions: 100x16

Was a bit shakey on the last set of squats. Probably just not use to going heavier. Next time I'm going to try to throw another working set in. When I get to the point that I feel more stable I want to throw a heavier set of 3 reps in.
    Where it all started

12. Hit my chest heavy today:

DB bench press: [warmup 30x10, 45x8] 60x6, 70x6, 80x2, 75x4, 70x4
    Incline DB fly: 30x16 (failure)

Wow, my chest was burning after I was done! It felt great to move some heavy weight! Oh and my legs are SHOT from wednesday. Pretty excited to start moving some numbers!
    Where it all started

13. Any reason you don't incorporate BB into your workouts?

14. Not there was a guy on the bench the whole time I was there. I do like DBs though for a few reasons...mainly because I can drop the weights if I decide to try for that last rep and fail, also because I like that each side is working independently of the other so I get a better gauge if I'm lagging on one side.
    Where it all started

15. I ask because I know that you are trying to add mass and DB is great for unilateral strength, but BB is considered a primary lift and will allow you to lift heavier and to support mass building. DB is great, but you may want to try and incorporate BB with it. I think you'll be surprised how weak your BB lifts are because you don't do them and that is neglecting a big lift for strength and mass.

Just my opinion, but for your goals in order of importance, it goes:

BB and DB

Another option would be sets of flat bench and then incline DB.

16. Absolutely! My intention was to do BB flat bench on heavy day because I know you can move heavier weight. I am still worried about doing it without a spotter though. Because if I feel like I can get another rep I'm gonna try for it, but that doesn't necessarily mean I'm gonna get it lol. So in that respect, if I'm gonna have to cut myself short using a BB for safety purposes, but can allow myself to when using DBs, would I not benefit more from using the DBs? Maybe I'm over thinking it.
    Where it all started

17. No, you aren't going to benefit more by doing them alone. You may be over thinking it because you don't (and shouldn't) need to push yourself to failure to get great gains from benching. A few ways to do this if you are having trouble getting out of your head would be:

Pyramid training- warm up
    1 x 12
    1 x 10
    1 x 8
    1 x 5
    I am not a huge fan of traditional pyramid training because you tend to spend a lot of energy getting to the heavy weights.

Reverse pyramid. Warm up 2 sets and then figure out what 75-80% of your max lift is. Start with that weight and then move down over 3-5 sets. This way you are using your energy at the beginning and lessen your chances of failure at the end because you are lifting lighter for more reps.

GVT method. Find your 50-60% max weight and do 10 sets of 10 reps.

There are a lot of ways to incorporate BB training and you shouldn't have the thought of getting hurt in your head. The only thing in your mind should be the muscles being worked and intensity to get to your goal.

18. Good stuff! I've actually been looking into GVT and Wendler 5-3-1. I'm seriously considering 531.
    Where it all started

19. So I've decided I'm going to spend the next couple weeks preparing my body for heavy weights and getting a good feel for what my current PRs are for Squat, Bench, Deadlift, and OH Press to prepare for 5-3-1 at the first of the year. The first run I do will utilize the Strength Builder Assistance work, so my program will look like this:

Strenth Building
    Week 1. Warmup, 75% x 5, 80% x 5, 85% x 5
    Week 2. Warmup, 80% x 3, 85% x 3, 90% x 3
    Week 3. Warmup, 75% x 5, 85% x 3, 95% x 1
    Week 4. Deload, 60% x 5, 65% x 5, 70% x 5
    *Assistance Work
    Squat: 5x10x50%
    Leg Curl: 5x10
    *Assistance Work
    Bench Press: 5x10x50%
    One Arm DB Row: 5x10
    *Assistance Work
    Deadlift: 5x8x50%
    Leg Raises: 5x12
    OH Press
    *Assistance Work
    OH Press: 5x10x50%
    Chin Up: 5 sets to failure

20. So today I decided to do deadlifts right off the floor to see what my 1RM was...

Deadlift: warmup, 225x5, 275x6, 315x1, 295x3, 225x10
    V-bar Pulldown: 100x16

Wednesday I'm going to go for my 1RM on OH Press.
    Where it all started

21. Back at it today! After 3 weeks of getting sick and the holidays, I only got to the gym a couple times but today I started working out with a buddy of mine who just started working out in the mornings. He's been in strongman contests and is a freaking bull! So today he whipped me into shape and damn did it feel good. I'm pretty excited to see how I progress! The workout he does is similar to Wendler's...we work out a major muscle group each day with the main lift starting at 5x5, then 4x4 the next week followed by 3x3, 2x2, 1x1 accordingly. Along with the main lift we do accessory work. For instance, today's workout went like this:

Chest - 1RM 220
    Warmup: Incline DB press 40x10x2
    Bench Press: 135x8, 185x3+2, 155x5, 155x7, 185x2+3
    Inc DB Press: 50x10, 60x10, 70x8
    Inc HS Press: 90x10, 140x10, 140x8+2 (Hammer Strength)
    Inc DB Fly: 30x10x3 (wide stretch, controlled)
    Rev Grip Machine Press: 80x8, 70x10, 70x10 (Really hit low chest and upper abs)
    Bench Press: Burn out! (Repped the bar as fast as possible until failure)

The workout felt great and I was happy to be able to push my limits!

22. Had an awesome shoulder w/o yesterday, kept reps between 8-10 though. My buddy doesn't believe in going real heavy on shoulders because they're such an easy thing to screw up...I'm cool with that. Got a great pump all around. This morning we're hitting back HEAVY! I'll post up the workout later today.

23. That's good- there is absolutely no need to go heavy on shoulders. Most everyone that does ends up looking "cool" for that day and is out sore or injured for a long period. How cool is that.

24. Quote Originally Posted by kisaj View Post
    That's good- there is absolutely no need to go heavy on shoulders. Most everyone that does ends up looking "cool" for that day and is out sore or injured for a long period. How cool is that.

So today we worked back consisting of:

Deads, Rev wide-grip PDs, iso straight-arm PDs, seated rows, v-bar PDs

Was able to get 295x5 off the floor but couldn't do 1 on the next set. That's alright though, I've been off for a few weeks. Gotta let my body (and mind) get back into the swing of things.
    Where it all started

25. Great job lifeblood! How old are you again? I'm 38 and I totally agree that shoulders don't have to be hit hard by going heavy. I do moderate weight for 4 exercises and 4 sets with 30 secs rest in between. I used to bomb shoulders with heavy dumbbell presses with the 100s I'm each arm for 10 reps and for me that is very heavy! Now I may max out with the 70s or even 65s. How about you, and kisaj?

26. My shoulder workout is:

Seated BB military press- after I warm up, I'll do 4-5 sets and have been maxing at 155 x 6-8. Then I'll drop down to 95 for a burnout set to near failure.

Upright BB row- warm up, 3-4 sets working up to 115 x 6-8.

Front DB raise- 3-4 sets with 45s

Usually I incorporate this into my chest day, so there will be flat bench and decline included.

27. Shoulder workout consisted of: OH shoulder press, high cable pulls with rope grip, DB lat fly (not sure if it's the proper term for these but it's not lat raises, because it's more bent over and lifting with arms bent focusing on raising with the elbows), and DB shrugs. 3 working sets of everything for 8-10 reps.
    Where it all started

28. Probably more like a bent over DB lateral raise?

29. Quote Originally Posted by kisaj View Post
    Probably more like a bent over DB lateral raise?
    Similar to that but more upright. It's still meant to emphasize the lateral head. Kinda mimics the same motion as the machine that you raise laterally with the pads against your forearms/elbows.

Did legs today...and the pain just doesn't get any better than this! Rocked some squats, leg extensions, vertical leg press (first time doing these, almost didn't back up a couple times lol), standing single leg curls, and calf raises. Judging by the difficulty I'm having standing up, sitting down, walking...just about anything that involves my legs...I'm going to be extremely sore for the next couple days. Yay!

Tomorrow we're going to go in to hit chest again. We just keep cycling through the workouts monday-saturday with sundays off. I can't wait for sunday...much needed rest soon to come!
    Where it all started

30. Feeling good about the workout this week. Thought it would be hard to get to the gym at 530am 6 days straight...but I did it! And I didn't have a problem with energy either. I've been popping citruline like candy lol. I really think it has played a big factor in my recuperation...thanks, ki!

I will say though, my legs are muthafuggin SORE! I hate stairs, I hate walking, I hate standing up...I LOVE leg workouts! Lol
    Where it all started

Similar Forum Threads

1. Can you take too much Alcar?
    By justreading in forum Supplements
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-18-2009, 08:15 PM
  2. Im getting too much pump
    By Navyrigger in forum Bulking
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-18-2009, 12:54 PM
  3. Can you have too much GABA?
    By spinn in forum Male Anti-Aging Medicine