One can never get too much MOTIVATION!

1ifeblood

1ifeblood

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Back at it today! After 3 weeks of getting sick and the holidays, I only got to the gym a couple times but today I started working out with a buddy of mine who just started working out in the mornings. He's been in strongman contests and is a freaking bull! So today he whipped me into shape and damn did it feel good. I'm pretty excited to see how I progress! The workout he does is similar to Wendler's...we work out a major muscle group each day with the main lift starting at 5x5, then 4x4 the next week followed by 3x3, 2x2, 1x1 accordingly. Along with the main lift we do accessory work. For instance, today's workout went like this:

Chest - 1RM 220
Warmup: Incline DB press 40x10x2
Bench Press: 135x8, 185x3+2, 155x5, 155x7, 185x2+3
Inc DB Press: 50x10, 60x10, 70x8
Inc HS Press: 90x10, 140x10, 140x8+2 (Hammer Strength)
Inc DB Fly: 30x10x3 (wide stretch, controlled)
Rev Grip Machine Press: 80x8, 70x10, 70x10 (Really hit low chest and upper abs)
Bench Press: Burn out! (Repped the bar as fast as possible until failure)

The workout felt great and I was happy to be able to push my limits!

1ifeblood

1ifeblood

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Had an awesome shoulder w/o yesterday, kept reps between 8-10 though. My buddy doesn't believe in going real heavy on shoulders because they're such an easy thing to screw up...I'm cool with that. Got a great pump all around. This morning we're hitting back HEAVY! I'll post up the workout later today.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
That's good- there is absolutely no need to go heavy on shoulders. Most everyone that does ends up looking "cool" for that day and is out sore or injured for a long period. How cool is that.

1ifeblood

1ifeblood

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
That's good- there is absolutely no need to go heavy on shoulders. Most everyone that does ends up looking "cool" for that day and is out sore or injured for a long period. How cool is that.
Lol...exactly!

So today we worked back consisting of:

Deads, Rev wide-grip PDs, iso straight-arm PDs, seated rows, v-bar PDs

Was able to get 295x5 off the floor but couldn't do 1 on the next set. That's alright though, I've been off for a few weeks. Gotta let my body (and mind) get back into the swing of things.

hawaiijedi

Awards
Great job lifeblood! How old are you again? I'm 38 and I totally agree that shoulders don't have to be hit hard by going heavy. I do moderate weight for 4 exercises and 4 sets with 30 secs rest in between. I used to bomb shoulders with heavy dumbbell presses with the 100s I'm each arm for 10 reps and for me that is very heavy! Now I may max out with the 70s or even 65s. How about you, and kisaj?

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
My shoulder workout is:

Seated BB military press- after I warm up, I'll do 4-5 sets and have been maxing at 155 x 6-8. Then I'll drop down to 95 for a burnout set to near failure.

Upright BB row- warm up, 3-4 sets working up to 115 x 6-8.

Front DB raise- 3-4 sets with 45s

Usually I incorporate this into my chest day, so there will be flat bench and decline included.

1ifeblood

1ifeblood

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Shoulder workout consisted of: OH shoulder press, high cable pulls with rope grip, DB lat fly (not sure if it's the proper term for these but it's not lat raises, because it's more bent over and lifting with arms bent focusing on raising with the elbows), and DB shrugs. 3 working sets of everything for 8-10 reps.

1ifeblood

1ifeblood

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Probably more like a bent over DB lateral raise?
Similar to that but more upright. It's still meant to emphasize the lateral head. Kinda mimics the same motion as the machine that you raise laterally with the pads against your forearms/elbows.

Did legs today...and the pain just doesn't get any better than this! Rocked some squats, leg extensions, vertical leg press (first time doing these, almost didn't back up a couple times lol), standing single leg curls, and calf raises. Judging by the difficulty I'm having standing up, sitting down, walking...just about anything that involves my legs...I'm going to be extremely sore for the next couple days. Yay!

Tomorrow we're going to go in to hit chest again. We just keep cycling through the workouts monday-saturday with sundays off. I can't wait for sunday...much needed rest soon to come!

1ifeblood

1ifeblood

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Feeling good about the workout this week. Thought it would be hard to get to the gym at 530am 6 days straight...but I did it! And I didn't have a problem with energy either. I've been popping citruline like candy lol. I really think it has played a big factor in my recuperation...thanks, ki!

I will say though, my legs are muthafuggin SORE! I hate stairs, I hate walking, I hate standing up...I LOVE leg workouts! Lol

1ifeblood

1ifeblood

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Decided to do some measurements today...last time I did was september so the changes are over a 4 month period.

Weight: 177 > 189 (+12)
Bf%: 13 > 18 (+5)
Chest: 41.15 > 41.5 (+.35)
Shoulders: 47.25 > 49.25 (+2) Happy about this!
Waist @ love handles: 34.25 > 36 (+1.75) Not bad...
Arms: 14.25 > 14.75 (+.5)
Forearms: 12 > 12.75 (+.75)
Neck: 12.5 > 15.5 (+3!) Is this normal or did I record it incorrectly the first time?
Hips @ fattest part of glutes: 38.75 > 40.25 (+1.5) I kinda got a big ass!
Thighs: 23.15 > 24.5 (+1.35)
Calves: 16.25 > 16 (-.25) WTF?

Everything got bigger except for my calves?! Looks like it's time to wage war on them! Overall though I'm happy with the progress. I feel like I'm honed in on my diet and I really like our workout sessions. I think I'm going to keep things the way they are until March before cutting. That gives me a good 3 months to drop BF before the summer.

1ifeblood

1ifeblood

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
The only thing that bothers me is the inaccuracy of using calipers...our whether I'm even using then right. I really wish there was a better way to calculate bf that didn't coat a lot of money. After calculating lean mass gain I was at 154lbs and am now at 155 lbs...only 1 lb in 4 months?! Could use some of that knowledge and motivation this community is so well known for.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Lol, yeah, I am guessing you had a bigger neck than 12". Mine is 17.5.

1ifeblood

1ifeblood

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Lol, yeah, I am guessing you had a bigger neck than 12". Mine is 17.5.
I'm pretty sure mine has always been around 15 lol. Which makes sense since the 5 is right below the 2 on my phone, heh.

So I was thinking that I either didn't measure my bf% correctly the first time out the last time because I don't believe that out of 12lbs gained in 4 months of eating properly, only 1lb is muscle. My scale has a bf measurement that I never rely on but however inaccurate it is, it shows an increase of 3% bf. So if I was actually 15% bf in september that would mean my lean mass was 151 and now figuring 18% bf my lean mass is 155...giving me 4lbs of muscle in 4 months. Again, I don't know how accurate my measurements are...but that makes a lot more sense to me.

1ifeblood

1ifeblood

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Wanted to see is this works

ForumRunner_20130121_121203.png

1ifeblood

1ifeblood

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Alright...so there's a LOT of f'n info on ingredients and supps that people are trying, taking, reviewing and I'm curious as to whether I'd benefit from adding something in to my current regimen? I want to continue my bulk until the end of march so I figure that gives me 8 weeks to cycle something. Any thoughts / ideas?

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Post up your current diet. For a bulk, not much is really going to help outside of eating a lot and lifting heavy. That being said, I had great luck last spring when I did my annual bulk with Anabeta. It made me so hungry all the time to the point that I'd have to get up in the middle of the night to eat something. It's hit or miss, like any supplement, but that worked for me.

1ifeblood

1ifeblood

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Post up your current diet. For a bulk, not much is really going to help outside of eating a lot and lifting heavy. That being said, I had great luck last spring when I did my annual bulk with Anabeta. It made me so hungry all the time to the point that I'd have to get up in the middle of the night to eat something. It's hit or miss, like any supplement, but that worked for me.
How detailed do you want it? You want to know what I'm eating every meal or just my macros?
Totals
Calories:3353021
Protein: 35281.2
Carbs: 17.5292.8
*Fiber2.542.5
Fats: 14.0068.30
*Saturated5.526.3
*Poly28.25
*Mono512

The gray column is the running total at the end of the day...I eat the same thing every day (for the most part) so it's pretty accurate. Foods consist of egg whites, lean meats (chicken, tuna, turkey, steak), quinoa, banana/apple/blueberries, steamed veggies, almond butter, oats, cottage cheese, brown rice, protein shakes (whey post-wo / casein at night)

I was actually looking at anabeta more than anything...looks like a solid supp that a lot of people have had good results with.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Looks like a good diet and you know your body better than anyone, but that is a maintenance level for me. I need to consume around 4500-5000 to gain weight. I can't do it without spending a ton of $$ or adding in several shakes a day. I was running through a tub of protein powder about every 5-6 days when I was taking Anabeta. From Feb-mid April I put on 10-12 lbs. Not as lean as I'd like, but that's not the point of a bulk! :)

1ifeblood

1ifeblood

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I've been gaining slowly but regularly...I'm currently up to 191lbs. I don't do cardio during bulk so I'm not burning any extra calories (except from added muscle mass). I don't know what anabeta would do to my metabolism though. If I'm lifting more intensely and staying anabolic longer I imagine my MBR will rise as well as more calories being burned, correct? So yeah, I'll need to get some more calories in. Right now it's hard to get all the meals in that I have to because my job is sporadic throughout the day. If we're busy I may go all day without being able to stop to eat anything other than a protein bar. I was thinking about keeping a weight gainer in my desk, though, so if I need to I can suck down some calories when in a bind. I was also thinking about running some test powder with the anabeta...whatcha think?

1ifeblood

1ifeblood

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Okay...stupid question. How does this reputation score work? I've received PMs saying that I got 1000's of rep points but it only shows that I have a rep power of 477?

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yeah man, that was part of my deal. I spend half my day in meetings and can't always have time to eat as mush as I would need during bulk times, so I had to supplement with shakes. I don't plan to bulk anymore as I have been much more comfortable at my current weight and have started training MMA, so the weight is cumbersome. But, I still have a shake or two a day.

My favorite:

16oz milk (2%)
ovaltine
1-2 vanilla greek yogurts
scoop or two of protein powder
couple tsps of peanut butter
banana
ice

About 750-800 calories w/ about 60g protein and I can pound it in about 30 seconds. Plus it tastes so good.

1ifeblood

1ifeblood

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
My favorite:

16oz milk (2%)
ovaltine
1-2 vanilla greek yogurts
scoop or two of protein powder
couple tsps of peanut butter
banana
ice

About 750-800 calories w/ about 60g protein and I can pound it in about 30 seconds. Plus it tastes so good.
THAT sounds good!

1ifeblood

1ifeblood

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Chest today...still getting significant increases in strength! The next 2 months is going to be a serious bulk. I'm going to shoot for 3500 calories a day. I'm hoping to get over 200 before april when I start my cut. Still focusing on big, compound movements 3-7 rep range depending on the exercise.

ForumRunner_20130128_071108.png

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Keep in mind that your growth is going to come in the 7-12 range.

A good non official chart I have always gone off of:

2-5: strength and power
3-7: strength and size, but not taking full advantage of both
6-10: optimal size building
8-12: size and endurance

1ifeblood

1ifeblood

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Keep in mind that your growth is going to come in the 7-12 range.

A good non official chart I have always gone off of:

2-5: strength and power
3-7: strength and size, but not taking full advantage of both
6-10: optimal size building
8-12: size and endurance
Great chart to go on! I have been wanting to improve strength as well so I guess I've been hitting the right rep range. But for these last 2 months I'll make sure to stay in the 6-10 range. Thanks for the input, Ki...as always you're a big help!

1ifeblood

1ifeblood

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Modified my diet a bit to get more calories in...wanted to make sure my macros look alright. I'm not taking in too much protein am I?

Totals
Calories:3353535
Protein: 35335.7
Carbs: 17.5361.8
*Fiber2.555.5
Fats: 14.0070.10
*Saturated5.528.5
*Poly27.25
*Mono511.5

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'd increase fat and decrease carbs. That is a lot of carbs to take in and little fat. Remember that fat is your friend. Protein is high, but I wouldn't say out of this world.

When I am packing on muscle, like right now, I try to stay at 40/35/25 protein, fat, carbs.

1ifeblood

1ifeblood

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Thanks ki...I'll make the adjustment

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Keep in mind that I am not trying to act as an expert. Just passing along what I have found effective and what has worked for those I have worked with. thumbsup

1ifeblood

1ifeblood

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I know buddy and I appreciate the input. I've read enough of your posts to know that you're more informed and experienced than I am. So I make adjustments based on your advice and see how it works for me...if it doesn't, I'll adjust again. ;-)

1ifeblood

1ifeblood

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I've been logging a stack in another thread...thought I'd link to it here.
http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplements/222624-test-powder-anabeta-5.html#post3895628

And now I'm starting to cut for the summer. Would like some input on how I'm going about doing it. I was able to drop 15 lbs last year and was about 12% bf...I'm hoping to get under 10% bf which I've never done. Kisaj...you've been a big help already, would like to know what you think.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Really, it is going to be diet that gets you there, but I would seriously read up on EGCG and the numerous benefits that it brings. It is an incredible anti-oxidant and fat burner.

pappybay

pappybay

Awards
Really, it is going to be diet that gets you there, but I would seriously read up on EGCG and the numerous benefits that it brings. It is an incredible anti-oxidant and fat burner.
My wife swears by the EGCG for what it is worth.