38 6'5 330 going for 715 raw bench

  1. New Member
    Rommel65's Avatar
    Stats
    6'5"  290 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    97
    Rep Power
    109
    Level
    9
    Lv. Percent
    56.57%

    38 6'5 330 going for 715 raw bench


    Ok, so heres the problem I've been powerifting for many years and have taken numerous cycles. I am closing in on the World Record Raw Bench. With all of the added muscle comes added weight, with added weight comes high BP. My doc just put me on BP meds because of my weight. I am not fat, 38 inch waist and 62 in chest, but the doc says weight is weight. To hit 715 I'll probably have to gain some more weight, and take more more BP meds. So do i go for it and keep BP conrolled with meds...is that safe. Or, do I cut and become a normal person? How do all the other super heavyweight body buliders and powerlifters do it and stay healthy? Are all those guys unhealthy? What would you guys do?

  2. Banned
    TattooYou's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    41
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    5
    Lv. Percent
    93.9%

    Is lifting a recreation or sport? Are you competing or just trying to beat a record? I understand the appeal of more size, but at what cost? BP Meds are treating a symptom, not the underlying problem and with any meds legal or otherwise there are side effects and risks and increasing doses of statins elevates risk. How far are you willing to go and what price are you willing to pay? As my trainers often remind me, don't chase a number, focus your goals on being fit and healthy first.
  3. Advanced Member
    tuberman's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  232 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Age
    65
    Posts
    648
    Rep Power
    2743
    Level
    20
    Lv. Percent
    11.68%

    Rommel,

    Try some natural supplements to bring down that BP. Taurine reduces it quite a bit, but a tolerance needs to be built s-l-o-w-l-y as it will give you the hershey squirts if too much, too quickly. Beet juice also has natural nitrates that reduce BP. Yorked by USP Labs has Arginine Nitrate in it which is an excellent BP reducer, and GPLC powder works well too, especially if some citrulline malate is added . All of these are better than the drugs.

    One or two of these should keep you in check while going for the record. Best to you!
    •   
       

  4. Senior Member
    DetroitHammer's Avatar
    Stats
    6'4"  250 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Age
    60
    Posts
    1,211
    Rep Power
    20688
    Level
    28
    Lv. Percent
    41.35%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Rommel65 View Post
    Ok, so heres the problem I've been powerifting for many years and have taken numerous cycles. I am closing in on the World Record Raw Bench. With all of the added muscle comes added weight, with added weight comes high BP. My doc just put me on BP meds because of my weight. I am not fat, 38 inch waist and 62 in chest, but the doc says weight is weight. To hit 715 I'll probably have to gain some more weight, and take more more BP meds. So do i go for it and keep BP conrolled with meds...is that safe. Or, do I cut and become a normal person? How do all the other super heavyweight body buliders and powerlifters do it and stay healthy? Are all those guys unhealthy? What would you guys do?
    What blood pressure medication does he have you on? How high is your pressure?

    Most of the top players in any sport put their lives at risk, whether it be boxing, MMA or track and field. They decide the sides are worth the risk. How do you plan on putting on the weight, I mean specifically?
  5. Advanced Member
    tuberman's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  232 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Age
    65
    Posts
    648
    Rep Power
    2743
    Level
    20
    Lv. Percent
    11.68%

    Quote Originally Posted by DetroitHammer View Post
    What blood pressure medication does he have you on? How high is your pressure?

    Most of the top players in any sport put their lives at risk, whether it be boxing, MMA or track and field. They decide the sides are worth the risk. How do you plan on putting on the weight, I mean specifically?
    Naw! There are some cases where natural supplements beat out drugs completely and BP problems is one of those areas. If Rommel tries Yorked at 5-6 caps a day and adds GPLC at 5 grams per day his BP will stay fine. In fact, it may drop too low!

    BTW, I'm not anti-drugs. I go by what is practical and what works.
  6. Senior Member
    DetroitHammer's Avatar
    Stats
    6'4"  250 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Age
    60
    Posts
    1,211
    Rep Power
    20688
    Level
    28
    Lv. Percent
    41.35%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by tuberman View Post
    Naw! There are some cases where natural supplements beat out drugs completely and BP problems is one of those areas. If Rommel tries Yorked at 5-6 caps a day and adds GPLC at 5 grams per day his BP will stay fine. In fact, it may drop too low!

    BTW, I'm not anti-drugs. I go by what is practical and what works.
    What did I say have anything to do with natural blood pressure medication? ... I know you're not suggesting that a natural supplement can beat out any AAS? That would be just ludicrous.
  7. Advanced Member
    tuberman's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  232 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Age
    65
    Posts
    648
    Rep Power
    2743
    Level
    20
    Lv. Percent
    11.68%

    Quote Originally Posted by DetroitHammer View Post
    What did I say have anything to do with natural blood pressure medication? ... I know you're not suggesting that a natural supplement can beat out any AAS? That would be just ludicrous.
    We were talking BP health not getting strong or big, that's what the OP is about. None of BP meds are safe or healthy long term. ALL ARE NEGATIVE. They are short term solutions.

    I'm not trying to be rude to you Detroit, I just want Rommel to try these natural solutions for BP as they work and are healthy. Example, if you use something like SD, don't you use milk thistle and other natural supps to fight liver problems, maybe even taurine for back pumps.

    His doc tells him he should give up his dream and lose weight. You seem to be starting to say he has to take the risks of using the best blood pressure meds and go on with his dream. Yet I'm telling him there's stuff out here that will lower his BP risk free so he can go after his record and not lose his health or even lower it.
  8. Senior Member
    DetroitHammer's Avatar
    Stats
    6'4"  250 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Age
    60
    Posts
    1,211
    Rep Power
    20688
    Level
    28
    Lv. Percent
    41.35%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by tuberman View Post
    We were talking BP health not getting strong or big, that's what the OP is about. None of BP meds are safe or healthy long term. ALL ARE NEGATIVE. They are short term solutions.

    I'm not trying to be rude to you Detroit, I just want Rommel to try these natural solutions for BP as they work and are healthy. Example, if you use something like SD, don't you use milk thistle and other natural supps to fight liver problems, maybe even taurine for back pumps.

    His doc tells him he should give up his dream and lose weight. You seem to be starting to say he has to take the risks of using the best blood pressure meds and go on with his dream. Yet I'm telling him there's stuff out here that will lower his BP risk free so he can go after his record and not lose his health or even lower it.
    Man, I'm all for anything to treat BP. I just wanted to know if he was an an ACE inhibitor, Beta blocker or what. I have high BP as well, so it's a problem near and dear to my heart.

    His question was are a lot of these guys who are at the top risking their health and the answer is yes, but that doesn't mean he has to. So I agree, maybe just didn't state it clearly.
  9. Board Supporter
    Frank Reynolds's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Age
    31
    Posts
    3,667
    Rep Power
    136024
    Level
    44
    Lv. Percent
    12.96%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Can't help with the BP thing, but any vids of some big benches? What is your best bench in competition?
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Flat Bench vs. Incline Bench
    By noviceiron in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 84
    Last Post: 10-17-2010, 03:33 PM
  2. Replies: 18
    Last Post: 09-24-2009, 12:44 AM
  3. (((((get Big Bench)))) Ref.2))))
    By 2475 in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-14-2008, 07:44 PM
  4. Flat Bench VS Dumbell Bench
    By The Flash in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 02-28-2008, 02:32 AM
  5. How much do you think this guy can bench?
    By Nitrox in forum General Chat
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-23-2007, 05:16 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in