Hernia

Jack of Shadows

Awards
Well, more than 30 years after starting lifting, I have apparently develop a hernia. No terrible pain or significant protrusion of anything through the abdominal wall or into the inguinal canal - but a periodic burning at a specific spot in the inguinal area on the right side, really not occurring more than once per week.

PCP says that, if I were someone who was sedentary (or he could trust to slow down and lighten up ;<)) he might suggest watchful waiting. But knowing otherwise, he has consulted me to a surgeon for his opinion on whether to go ahead and fix it now. Just what I needed within a few weeks after turning 55

Anyway - Looking for any other insight into the whole process, from surgery, to recovery, to any ongoing issues in the longer term.

Thanks!

bigmoe65

bigmoe65

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Are you sure its a hernia and not a groin pull? Reason why I ask is "usually " theres a protusion. I'm not a doctor though. I had a left inguinal hernia fix about 3 years ago, funny thing is I dont even know how I got it. I had the standard procedure done using the mesh. Surgery was easy but recovery was brutal. Dont let that scare you though, my friend had it done and he was walking around perfectly the next day. I couldn't move for a week. The doctor did a great job fixing me but I still have pain sometimes in the region which I just think is the scare tissue. Whenever I do leg machines that cause a lot of abdominal pressure I keep a fist pressed down over that area. I guess it just makes me feel better, dont want to tear it again.

Jack of Shadows

Awards
Great question and one I have asked myself throughout the past few weeks. Most descriptions I see of it include talk of palpable protrusions through the abdominal wall and such and I really do not have that. I would love for it to be no more than pull. Still the burning sensation that is tied to a particular spot on that area has occurred periodically. I guess I will have to see what the surgeon says.

They do say that the recovery, depending on the surgery can vary quite a bit. I actually think it was a log press machine such as you describe - with a lot of weight on it - that may have caused it.

Thanks a lot - I appreciate your comments and information.

bigmoe65

bigmoe65

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Also hernia's dont usually hurt until they get really bad and your intestine gets twisted, thats why I was suspect of the burning sensation. Could be a torn muscle.

lonewolf0420

lonewolf0420

Awards
  • Established
Also hernia's dont usually hurt until they get really bad and your intestine gets twisted, thats why I was suspect of the burning sensation. Could be a torn muscle.
Not true. My brother had a hernia for many years and it always caused pain. finally recently he reached a point were it was getting worse and he couldn't bare it anymore. He finally had to have surgery and the doc said good thing he came in when he did because he could have had a deadly situation on his hands. Leaving the hernia, it became very bad.
OP, get a consult, and get all your options.

bigmoe65

bigmoe65

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Not true. My brother had a hernia for many years and it always caused pain. finally recently he reached a point were it was getting worse and he couldn't bare it anymore. He finally had to have surgery and the doc said good thing he came in when he did because he could have had a deadly situation on his hands. Leaving the hernia, it became very bad.
OP, get a consult, and get all your options.
Like I said in my post, they usually start to hurt when your intestine gets twisted up. Thats why the doc said it could have been deadly.

lonewolf0420

lonewolf0420

Awards
  • Established
Like I said in my post, they usually start to hurt when your intestine gets twisted up. Thats why the doc said it could have been deadly.
The deadly part was because he let it go. The "hurt" was generally always their, and it was nothing like it was recently. Intestinal twisting wasn't an issue in the beginning, but the pain was their.

Jack of Shadows

Awards
Thanks for all the input guys. I have been doing plenty of reading on the whole thing, including the idea of strangulation, which I think is being suggested here; when the intestine section protrudes through and the blood supply to it is cut off. Sound like no fun.

I am in no real pain and the symptoms only seem to appear periodically, so I guess I am just in the waiting phase until my appointment in two weeks to see what the surgeon says.

Thanks again!

lonewolf0420

lonewolf0420

Awards
  • Established
Glad you got an appointment. Best of luck to you.

Jack of Shadows

Awards
I appreciate it...in case any one cares, I'll try to stop back in a couple of weeks after my consult with an update.

Carl Hungus

Carl Hungus

Awards
I deal with hernia patients on a daily basis and I've had 3 repaired myself. (Rt inguinal, Lt inguinal, and umbilical in separate surgeries).

Small hernias may not produce a protrusion that is all that noticable to you, but your PCP and surgeon should definately be able to tell the difference between a muscle strain and a hernia.

After letting 2 hernia's go until they were pretty good sized, I learned my lesson and got my last one fixed very early. You will see a much faster, less painful recovery getting the thing fixed now.

Hopefully you will be able to have it repaired laparoscopically. (where a lighted scope is used through small abdominal incisions to repair the hernia). Recovery is much quicker with this method. With the open method, I was told not to lift for 7 weeks. I've had surgeons tell people 3 weeks after laparoscopic repair.

Like any surgery, you'll have some post-op pain, but nothing a few days of Vicodin shouldn't make tolerable.

Mesh may or may not be necessary for yours. Your hernia is obviously pretty small so it might not be. But, at 54yo, it could be helpful if the surgeon feels you might not heal as well as say, a 20yo. A disadvantage to the mesh: a certain percentage of people have the mesh get infected and have to have it surgically removed later.

Long term, there really shouldn't be any problems. My repairs are 33, 20, and 11 years old with no recurrence ( knock on wood).

Good luck, If you want any more specific info....just post.

Jack of Shadows

Awards
Sorry I did not check back and see this sooner - I really appreciate your obviously well-informed input on it and, indeed, your post was pretty prophetic.

I had my consultation today and indeed it is a right inguinal hernia. Although early, the plan is to get it fixed - and if all goes well do so in about 10 days. The plan is to do it laparoscopically and he did mention using the mesh. He suggested that a few days of pain (and meds) and inactivity, followed by about 4 weeks of no heavy lifting, and all should be well.

He did mention that some guys report post-operative pain (potentially long-term) in the navel area. Any thoughts or input on that or any other long-term effects (he also mentioned very low probability potential for nerve damage)?

Thanks...great to have someone with your experience here.

lonewolf0420

lonewolf0420

Awards
  • Established
My brothers post-surgical pain as mostly subsided. Only issue he was having was a tremendous build up of fluid in his scrotum sack (like baseball size) . Very painful, but that subsided. Not uncommon in hernia operations.

Jack of Shadows

Awards
Good to hear that it subsided. As with most procedures, one can look on the web and find many horror stories of people with bizarre or rare consequences - that look more common because those most motivated to post are those who had problems.

It is great to hear the successful procedures get some mention!

Jack of Shadows

Awards
Just an update: Pre-op stuff done and all is well. Surgery scheduled for Tuesday, the 17th. I will be glad when it is done.

lonewolf0420

lonewolf0420

Awards
  • Established
Glad your on your way to getting it taken care of. Good luck.

Carl Hungus

Carl Hungus

Awards
Sorry I did not check back and see this sooner - I really appreciate your obviously well-informed input on it and, indeed, your post was pretty prophetic.

I had my consultation today and indeed it is a right inguinal hernia. Although early, the plan is to get it fixed - and if all goes well do so in about 10 days. The plan is to do it laparoscopically and he did mention using the mesh. He suggested that a few days of pain (and meds) and inactivity, followed by about 4 weeks of no heavy lifting, and all should be well.

He did mention that some guys report post-operative pain (potentially long-term) in the navel area. Any thoughts or input on that or any other long-term effects (he also mentioned very low probability potential for nerve damage)?

Thanks...great to have someone with your experience here.

Sorry, I haven't checked the board in a while. I think the long-term effects he discussed with you are a real longshot. Just part of making you fully informed of the risks and benefits of the surgery. The scrotal swelling does occur from time to time, not only fluid build up, but from gas the is instilled into the abdomen during the laparoscopy.

One thing that was present post-op in ALL of my hernias was constipation. I did prune juice, but 30ml's of Milk of Magnesia will also do the trick.

Another tip is to get up and walk around frequently. (just short walks at first) It seems to help a great deal. Also, if you've had surgery before and had problems with nausea or vomiting, be sure to tell the anesthesiologist.

Jack of Shadows

Awards
Sorry, I haven't checked the board in a while. I think the long-term effects he discussed with you are a real longshot. Just part of making you fully informed of the risks and benefits of the surgery. The scrotal swelling does occur from time to time, not only fluid build up, but from gas the is instilled into the abdomen during the laparoscopy.

One thing that was present post-op in ALL of my hernias was constipation. I did prune juice, but 30ml's of Milk of Magnesia will also do the trick.

Another tip is to get up and walk around frequently. (just short walks at first) It seems to help a great deal. Also, if you've had surgery before and had problems with nausea or vomiting, be sure to tell the anesthesiologist.
Update: Surgery on Tuesday, all went well, no problems. He looked at the left side and found a small hernia there as well and repaired it as well. Some scrotal swelling for the first day but they had told me to expect that from the gas and it pretty quickly subsided. I had heard and was concerned about the constipation so I started on a stool softener/laxative within a day and today "Things worked out fine" though I will continue it for a few days to be sure. I found walking around a bit helped with that, too. Finally had a shower about 10 minutes ago and intending to take a short walk soon.

Some aches and pains here and there, mostly in the navel area, but after a day or so of taking a vicodin every 4 hours or so (never needed 2) I have not needed any today. Looking forward to a glass of wine this evening.

I have greatly appreciated your input on this. It was all new to me and I was not at all sure of what to expect. Now if things just keep getting better and I can get through the next 4 weeks out of the gym I will be fine.

Helluva way to spend Spring Break, but no way I could have taught for a few days after this.

Thanks again!

Carl Hungus

Carl Hungus

Awards
Update: Surgery on Tuesday, all went well, no problems. He looked at the left side and found a small hernia there as well and repaired it as well. Some scrotal swelling for the first day but they had told me to expect that from the gas and it pretty quickly subsided. I had heard and was concerned about the constipation so I started on a stool softener/laxative within a day and today "Things worked out fine" though I will continue it for a few days to be sure. I found walking around a bit helped with that, too. Finally had a shower about 10 minutes ago and intending to take a short walk soon.

Some aches and pains here and there, mostly in the navel area, but after a day or so of taking a vicodin every 4 hours or so (never needed 2) I have not needed any today. Looking forward to a glass of wine this evening.

I have greatly appreciated your input on this. It was all new to me and I was not at all sure of what to expect. Now if things just keep getting better and I can get through the next 4 weeks out of the gym I will be fine.

Helluva way to spend Spring Break, but no way I could have taught for a few days after this.

Thanks again!
Great to hear, Jack. Nice to hear that your doc found a fixed the other hernia, too. Saves you form going through this again. Get back in the gym and kick same ass when you're able...just don't overdo it at first.

Jack of Shadows

Awards
Thanks Carl! Some periodic post-op twinges in places. Trying to keep my self from forgetting that I need to be sensible and not overdo things yet. Feeling well enough that it is too easy to forget that.

Carl Hungus

Carl Hungus

Awards
Thanks Carl! Some periodic post-op twinges in places. Trying to keep my self from forgetting that I need to be sensible and not overdo things yet. Feeling well enough that it is too easy to forget that.
Yeah, your body definately lets you know when you're doing something you shouldn't.

Jack of Shadows

Awards
Had a post-op appointment last Friday and the surgeon said things looked good and that I could go back into the gym as long as I began light and was smart enough to stop if there was pain. Had first workout yesterday - showed great restraint, started much lighter than usual. No pain.

Patience...patience ;<).

lonewolf0420

lonewolf0420

Awards
  • Established
Glad to hear. Always great to see a speedy recovery. Good luck.

Carl Hungus

Carl Hungus

Awards
Had a post-op appointment last Friday and the surgeon said things looked good and that I could go back into the gym as long as I began light and was smart enough to stop if there was pain. Had first workout yesterday - showed great restraint, started much lighter than usual. No pain.

Patience...patience ;<).
Outstanding!!!

Iceman1800

Awards
I had left ingunial surgery, open with mesh sewn in around 4 years ago and had a full recovery. The constipation is usually from pain meds and you want to stay on top of that. You don't want that added pressure. Also, when you start back lifting, listen to your body. Mine was an open incision so recovery was longer but the rules stay the same. If you feel pressure in the area, drop the bar. I was doing light squats and deads around a month after surgery and was at 100% after 12 weeks.

Jack of Shadows

Awards
I greatly appreciate all the experienced input...made this whole thing a lot easier to deal with hearing about others' successful outcomes. As of yesterday I was 4 weeks post op and am back on my workout schedule, although keeping things lighter than usual for this set of workouts just to be safe. Have changed a few exercises around to avoid positions that create that pressure.

You guys' insights have been priceless.

Thanks!

Liquid13

Liquid13

Awards
  • Established
I greatly appreciate all the experienced input...made this whole thing a lot easier to deal with hearing about others' successful outcomes. As of yesterday I was 4 weeks post op and am back on my workout schedule, although keeping things lighter than usual for this set of workouts just to be safe. Have changed a few exercises around to avoid positions that create that pressure.

You guys' insights have been priceless.

Thanks!
Here's to your speedy recovery! I had hernia surgery when I was 3 or 4.... or some real young age lol.

toosmall

toosmall

Awards
I've got one protruding from my belly button. looks like a marble popping out sometimes, and then other times, it's gone. I've had it for a few years. back in summer of 2007 it hurt quite a bit, but I backed off on the heavy squats, and no problem since. (other than a violent sneeze or cough) One of these days I'll get it fixed. Thinking about holding off till fall so I can be laid up for college football for a week or so.

Jack of Shadows

Awards
I've got one protruding from my belly button. looks like a marble popping out sometimes, and then other times, it's gone. I've had it for a few years. back in summer of 2007 it hurt quite a bit, but I backed off on the heavy squats, and no problem since. (other than a violent sneeze or cough) One of these days I'll get it fixed. Thinking about holding off till fall so I can be laid up for college football for a week or so.
Gotta say that it sounds uncomfortable!

toosmall

toosmall

Awards
It was uncomfortable for awhile, but now it's not bad. Still gonna get it fixed though.

Jack of Shadows

Awards
Latest update: Almost 6 weeks post-op. All goes well in the gym, lifting lighter than usual, avoiding exercise that would strain the lower abs, and not feeling any pain.

Experiencing no real limitations in activity except when the site is pressured from the outside. For instance, if I forget and lean against something like a counter or especially after some pelvic/pubic grinding sex. After those it gets sensitive to pressure for a few days or so - even to the point where wearing tight pants can be uncomfortable in the groin area- not a sharp pain, just a noticeable ache.

Expecting that this will subside over time.

skiboyny

Awards
I read through your hernia posts. I have developed something that matches your description quite well. No protrusions of any kind but a burning to the right of my belly button. If I might ask how was a hernia verified. Was it simply through an exam by your doctor or something more?

Thanks in advance

Jack of Shadows

Awards
I read through your hernia posts. I have developed something that matches your description quite well. No protrusions of any kind but a burning to the right of my belly button. If I might ask how was a hernia verified. Was it simply through an exam by your doctor or something more?

Thanks in advance
Definitely sounds like one. By the time I had seen my doctor I had done enough research on the topic that I was pretty sure it was a hernia, but yes, exam by my primary care physician followed by a consult and exam with the surgeon. The protrusion was really pretty minimal, but identifiable by rolling over the area. As I noted, it was not just the obvious one, but one on the other side that had been undetected until they were in there.

Now 10 weeks post-op and pretty much back to normal. Still some issues with putting pressure on that area, but less every week.

Worth getting checked. Good luck and keep us informed.

skiboyny

Awards
Definitely sounds like one. By the time I had seen my doctor I had done enough research on the topic that I was pretty sure it was a hernia, but yes, exam by my primary care physician followed by a consult and exam with the surgeon. The protrusion was really pretty minimal, but identifiable by rolling over the area. As I noted, it was not just the obvious one, but one on the other side that had been undetected until they were in there.

Now 10 weeks post-op and pretty much back to normal. Still some issues with putting pressure on that area, but less every week.

Worth getting checked. Good luck and keep us informed.
Will do still in the denial phase. I'll let you know thanks.

Jack of Shadows

Awards
Will do still in the denial phase. I'll let you know thanks.
I know about that phase - been in it most of my adult life when it comes to physical issues/limitations. I have lots of things that probably should be treated/repaired - shoulders, knees, etc. This one, for some reason, seemed to be worth getting done.

dustin22

Awards
ive got one right above my belly button. I went in today for my consultation with the sergeon and he gave me too options: he can sew it up or put a piece of mesh under the abdominal lining with scopes. he said as long as i choose the scope method i can be lifting 100% the next day. he said i can even go to school that night. doin it! otherwise he said with the alternative method ill be out for at least a month and ill have a higher chance of recurrence

Jack of Shadows

Awards
ive got one right above my belly button. I went in today for my consultation with the sergeon and he gave me too options: he can sew it up or put a piece of mesh under the abdominal lining with scopes. he said as long as i choose the scope method i can be lifting 100% the next day. he said i can even go to school that night. doin it! otherwise he said with the alternative method ill be out for at least a month and ill have a higher chance of recurrence

Did the mesh...not sure about 100% the next day, even for an umbilical hernia.

Carl Hungus

Carl Hungus

Awards
Scoping makes the recovery period faster and easier......but, I think your Doc is overstating the ease of surgery just a bit. While you CAN do go to school, lift 100%, etc. I wouldn't be so sure you're gonna feel up to it. Most surgeon's do lap procedures with general anesthesia rather than just sedation, so you'll probably be a little loopy even if your case was scheduled for the AM. Plus, even with a lap procedure, you're gonna be kinda sore and probably need a pain pill or two. I wouldn't lift (or drive) while on Vicodin, Darvocet, etc.

Good luck with things. Let us know how everything turns out.

StuartGould

Awards
Sorry just seen this.

I am a hernia surgeon myself, having done many thousands. There is NO WAY you can lift 100% the next day after ANY type of hernia surgery. Also after a general anesthetic you cannot drive, operate machinery or make important decisions for 24hrs.

For a start you will be sore. Secondly the mesh is fixed with tacks or staples and takes several weeks to become incorporated into you. Sudden explosive movement can knock the mesh off. I have definitely seen tahta a couple of times. Admittedly putting the mesh under the muscles and not over reduces the risk, but really...

There is little to be gained by laparoscopic surgery of small para-umbilical hernias compared to a small incision. A mesh can be used in both approaches. In fact I would definitely use a mesh in the open approach for a weight lifter, and put it in what is known as the sublay position.

Open surgery should have you back to normal daily activities within two weeks, moderate weight lifting within four. The only real restriction I place on my patients is no really heavy or explosive lifting for about six weeks. Recovery from laparoscopic surgery is actually pretty similar.

I have had several Olympic athletes under my care who have gone on to compete successfully so be assured you WILL be able to go back to full heavy training, just do not rush it.

Hope that helps

dustin22

Awards
Thanks for all the input! I'll be sure and take it easy for a couple of days... sounds like I have no choice. It was rescheduled for the 13 of july, I'll let everyone know how long it takes to be lifting 100%