Old guy doin' P90X

M

mikinTx

Finally got my body fat-a$$, i mean body fat calipers today. Going to start P90X on Monday. Calipers said I was 17% BF.. good grief! When did that happen? Anyway, been really slackin' on cardio for a long time so this should be a justifiably painful experience. Hope to start a bulk this summer assuming the cardio doesn't kill me. Will probably do a mix of Abs diet and P90X diet. Will post updates if my progress isn't totally humiliating :zx11pissed:

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Looking forward to getting some real-world feedback on the regimen.

Definitely interesting looking.

17% is not ThAT bad.

M

mikinTx

LOL, yeah well it's not that good either bro. Great motivator though, lol.

silverSurfer

silverSurfer

Awards
  • Established
The program works, I've done it before. In fact, I was going to start it again this month but changed my mind and focus on a lean bulk with low cardio.

I am interested in your results - I've seen plenty on the beach body website, but too few here. I wish you the best, finish the program and you'll definitely get the results :)

Manimalia

Manimalia

Awards
  • Established
eat at or even above maintenance levels, as you'll burn MANY MORE calories than with conventional 'workouts.'

mixedup

mixedup

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
anxious to see results everytime I see the infomercial i am tempted to order.

ffmedic32

ffmedic32

Awards
It works, we bought it at the fire house and bunch of guys are doing it. I have been using the more cardio styled dvd's and they work, the ab ripper is a killer ab workout IMO

M

mikinTx

Thanks for the support/feedback guys. I'll follow-up with my progress.

datBtrue

datBtrue

Awards
  • Established
Is that Max Headroom in your avatar? Damn this is an old guys forum. :240:

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Is that Max Headroom in your avatar? Damn this is an old guys forum. :240:
When I wrote Graffiti I would piece Max all the time! I believe I did it because I loved BTTF.

M

mikinTx

Okay, update on the program. 2nd week in the can but man I'm beat. Program runs 6 days/week. You do 8 - 12 different exercises then repeat them. Routine runs about 55 minutes followed by 16 minutes of Ab Ripper X 3x/week. First week I was hitting the "pause" button fairly frequently. End of second week not hitting it so much but haven't finished a lifting workout in the allotted time yet. 2nd week I was able to add some weight (using DBs) and reps, reduced the time I was taking and hitting pause less. Back to maintenance cals but weight is actually up to 196. I can honestly say my conditioning sucks! M-W-F is some type of traditional or weighted exercise, T-Th-S is more cardio/conditioning oreinted. Seeing some recomp with this routine so 90 days of this should be noticeable.

Grambo

Grambo

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Interested in real feeback too. I would never give up my iron but I like to learn about different styles and the core, ab ripper, yoga and stretchign sections look very interesting. I found it really cheap from a guy too......Tempted....

silverSurfer

silverSurfer

Awards
  • Established
How's it going so far, still with P90X?

M

mikinTx

Hey SS, yeah still on it. Last week was the "recovery" week, mostly core/aerobic type workouts (no weights). Scale said 189 this morning so I'm kinda torn between wanting to lose the bf around the middle (starting to see some real nice ab definition) and being concerned about losing muscle mass (ectomorph here). I know part of it is due to the leaner diet (only eating around 2000 cals) so I think after I finish the program (~8 weeks from now) I'll try to hit a serious clean bulk (maybe use the crossfit style of training). Next phase is back to using weights 3x week so I'm gonna hit it pretty hard and might increase the cals by 500. I'm thinking I might need to find a supp with anti-catabolic properties. I'll say this, I've never done so much core/cardio and so many push-ups/pull-ups before. Calipers still showing around 16% bf (around my waist anyway) so I don't know if I'm losing BF or muscle right now, but at least I'm starting to see my abs!

silverSurfer

silverSurfer

Awards
  • Established
Awesome! So starting this week the new program begins - you're in the second phase, right? I wouldn't worry about the muscle yet, but if you are you ought to return calories to maintenance and see how that works.

M

mikinTx

Yeah, I think that's what I'm gonna do. Took me forever to get to 195 and back in October I went with some Methyl-V Test and that bumped me up to 200 but I was way bloated and my bf jumped up. This year I decided to focus on functional muscle development rather than size (thus the P90X). Just hard to see the scale dipping below 190 :)

PhysiqueFreak

PhysiqueFreak

Awards
  • Established
I've always wondered how well this program worked. Thanks for the updates and keep it going... good luck on your recomp

M

mikinTx

>I've always wondered how well this program worked

I will say this much for only being thru the first phase... went for a hike yesterday, it was supposed to be 13 miles total. After some confusion and a missed turn about 8 miles in I ended up doing 18 miles total. My feet were battered and sore and still, for whatever reason, during the last four miles I ended up jogging up every incline I came to, sometimes even a flat out run. my lungs were burning but my legs were saying "screw it, go for it". It was actually pretty cool and the last time I made this hike there's no way I woulda run at all, much less up the inclines. So I'm thinking the "conditioning" part of the program is pretty effective.

silverSurfer

silverSurfer

Awards
  • Established
>I've always wondered how well this program worked

I will say this much for only being thru the first phase... went for a hike yesterday, it was supposed to be 13 miles total. After some confusion and a missed turn about 8 miles in I ended up doing 18 miles total. My feet were battered and sore and still, for whatever reason, during the last four miles I ended up jogging up every incline I came to, sometimes even a flat out run. my lungs were burning but my legs were saying "screw it, go for it". It was actually pretty cool and the last time I made this hike there's no way I woulda run at all, much less up the inclines. So I'm thinking the "conditioning" part of the program is pretty effective.
That is awesome! Great results in such a short time - congratulations!

KIAAAAA :bruce3: :biglaugh:

N

NewAtThis10

Awards
The wife does it. She wants me to join her, but I tell her that there's no way I'm giving up good old fashioned free weights for some video where a bunch of pretty-boys dance around in leotards.

The truth is, I've secretly tried some of teh stuff when my wife wasn't looking and I acn't do half the stuff the guy tells me to do. Don't tell her, though. That program would kick my ass.

neoborn

neoborn

Awards
  • Established
The wife does it. She wants me to join her, but I tell her that there's no way I'm giving up good old fashioned free weights for some video where a bunch of pretty-boys dance around in leotards.

The truth is, I've secretly tried some of teh stuff when my wife wasn't looking and I acn't do half the stuff the guy tells me to do. Don't tell her, though. That program would kick my ass.
LOL

D

Double D6

Awards
That's actually VERY funny!! BUT TRUE for me too......
I have not been here in a long time but the same happened with me.
I got the DVD's and went through 4 days of p90x.
I'm 36, I gave up the first go around.
My wife is in her second month!! CRAZY!!!
(she really looks great too, 2 kids @36 and she is hot as hell..LOL)

So, I now started again, from scratch! I haven't touched a weight in 8 months due to an injury but I'm on day 5...doing Kenpo-x in an hour.
I'm a firefighter by profession, so I no longer am looking for a body builder physique but instead an overall body fitness that can handle this demanding job as the body creeps up on age!! I feel a change already. I am sore as hell too but definately more motivated this time.
I am taking this first 90days as a spring board for the next 90 where I really want to do everything 100% as they do and perhaps grab the new p90x plus.
If there is an area where anyone that is into this program can go and post about their experiences...please let me know.
Dave

M

mikinTx

Hey Double, you could post in the Training Forum as that's a general topic area. Only reason I posted here was due to my age. If you're looking specifically for P90X postings you can always go to the forums at the BeachBody site. All the programs they produce have forums (P90X, TurboJam, etc.). Lots of specific threads depending on what you're looking for.

Jayburd

Jayburd

Awards
The P90X program is excellent! My lady and I went through the 90 days. I managed to drop 60 lbs and she is around 40 so far. I really thought the different techniques they show in the program were very helpful. We didn't really follow the meal program that comes with it. But I think if you just keep your diet clean, you can get the same results. But we didn't limit ourselves to one program either. There was a few occassions we used Billy Blank and tried a few of the Biggest Loser DVDs. Now that I've hit my goal, I installed a bench press with 300 lbs of weights in the house to start building up the muscle.

H

Hard2Gain

Awards
MikinTx, how is it going? Any updates? Did you continue through it or jump off the band wagon? My wife really wants to do this program and I told her that I would jump in with her in the spring after doing a bit of bulking over the winter this year. I know I could go check out their page but I always am skeptical about what they say. I wish I knew a few people first hand that were doing it so I could actually see their progress. I don't mean folks that are doing it under their supervision either.

M

mikinTx

Hey H2G, yeah I finished it (kicked my a$$ too). Went from about 14-14.5% BF (the original 17% reading wasn't accurate) to about 12.5% (averaged several different caliper measurement methods from the ACSM website). Weight dropped to about 183-184 lbs so I followed up with a 30 day cycle of Mass Caps, Trendadrol, and HD2 (and about half way through started an ECY stack). Got back up to 192 (that was about a month ago) but I've since settled in around 188 (mainly cause I've stayed on the ECY due to some really long hours on the job). In about 30 days I'll probably try a different cycle, cut the ECY. Can't complain really, BF is somewhere between 11% and 12%. Sticking with the Ab Ripper X tho, makes for some nice definition. Good program, plan to do it again after my bulk cycle, see if I can cut the BF down another percent or two but get my mass back up to around 195 (I'd go for more but it's too freakin hot to eat that much, lol). FWIW, my li'l bro and his wife do the cardio version of the program and they've both lost quite a bit of weight. Works well if your diet is clean.

K

keeper

Wow, props to you! Very impressive. I have friends who have done it. Young guys, 20's to early 30's. They are all football coaches and in decent shape, but said it kicked their butts.
Good for you!

waynaferd

waynaferd

Awards
  • Established
I got some copies of P90X and did the stretching, for an hour.....Then said if I got an hour to do that I got an hour to lift :D

I tried the kempo but the couch and chair in the living room kept getting in the way.

I think if I get the basement cleaned up enough to get a TV where my weights are I'll try it for real, but right now I don't have the desire to go thru the hassle.

But it would definately woop my fat ass!!!

RoadBlocK

RoadBlocK

Awards
  • Established
Hey H2G, yeah I finished it (kicked my a$$ too). Went from about 14-14.5% BF (the original 17% reading wasn't accurate) to about 12.5% (averaged several different caliper measurement methods from the ACSM website). Weight dropped to about 183-184 lbs so I followed up with a 30 day cycle of Mass Caps, Trendadrol, and HD2 (and about half way through started an ECY stack). Got back up to 192 (that was about a month ago) but I've since settled in around 188 (mainly cause I've stayed on the ECY due to some really long hours on the job). In about 30 days I'll probably try a different cycle, cut the ECY. Can't complain really, BF is somewhere between 11% and 12%. Sticking with the Ab Ripper X tho, makes for some nice definition. Good program, plan to do it again after my bulk cycle, see if I can cut the BF down another percent or two but get my mass back up to around 195 (I'd go for more but it's too freakin hot to eat that much, lol). FWIW, my li'l bro and his wife do the cardio version of the program and they've both lost quite a bit of weight. Works well if your diet is clean.
Good for you man! Some of that p90x is no joke, I have not done the program, but Ive messed around with a few of the dvds a few times, I really like the plyometrics, the kempo and the chest/back workout. I dont know if its ignorance or arrogance on my part, but Ive been trying to design a routine that will incorporate some of the p90x stuff into my regular weight training week, but Ive yet to find a formula that works for me. I should probably just do their program.

M

mikinTx

Yeah Road, I've added a couple of the routines to my regular lifting (cut back on the reps and upped the weight). Mainly just to get some variety and hit the muscles from different angles. Besides the ab ripper I've kept the push-up/pull-up routine as well. The program will definitely strengthen your core too...

H

Hard2Gain

Awards
Awesome! Personally, I was out of the gym for about 3 months due to spending most of my time riding my bicycle again with my local club. But I got so damn frustrated for losing all of my gains I made over the winter that I am now back in the gym. My goal will be to put on about 15-20lbs by next spring and then perhaps jump on the P90X program to rip it all up. I would ideally like to end up back at my current weight of 175 but much harder and bigger in general. Long road ahead of me to say the least.

H

Hard2Gain

Awards
Oh, did you order it directly from the company or did you pick it up off ebay or something? I have read alot about their poor customer service and people having problems with shipping and all sorts of crap. Did you order a pull up bar, make one or go without one? Just curious. I am thinking about making one since we have a drop ceiling in the basement. I already have a lat tower down there with all my equipment but prefer to do chins first and then burn out on pull downs.

M

mikinTx

H2G, yeah direct from BeachBody. No problems with shipping or anything. Their supplements are overhyped and overpriced so I didn't bother with them. Bought an Iron Gym pull-up bar, works well in the door frame (still using it and it's held up well even though it looked cheap.) Would have used my old soloflex for pull-ups but the dvd player is in the house and my serious weights are in the garage, so it worked out okay. Sounds like you have a decent plan though, I went through the same thing.. got all cut but lost mass so this time I'll bulk first (clean tho) and then run the program again to cut. I'd like to get to around 9 - 10% BF at 195. Figure I can get there by next spring as well.

Z

zagdawg22

Awards
i went through beachbody as well, skip the supplements. all you need is the basics. dvd's and your own time. i mix my own workouts in as well when i get bored looking at tony lol, but p90x is the real deal.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Anabolics 8
mpd556 35 and Older 3
W Anabolics 13
O Anabolics 21
J Supplements 12