Zinc and nausea

Qonix

Qonix

Awards
  • Established
I just bought now's l-optizinc, Ive tried to take it empty stomach 1 hour before lunch but I started immediately to feel nausea.
The day after I tried 2 hours after lunch and was OK, today I tried after workout and again had nausea.

Why is zinc reacting like this? From readings it is supposed to be taken empty stomach for maximum absorption but is often giving me nausea.

Br1ck_Sh1thouse

Awards
  • Established
I'm not sure what the dosing is in now brand but I take zinc every night on a full belly and until recently I could only take 25mg,just the other day I started to take 50mgs on a full stomach right before bed and so far it's ok. Keep in mind I've been taking just 25mg for a at least a year. No food =bad!!

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Ive had the same experience for years. I have to eat before or shortly after or I'll vomit. I dont know why it happens exactly.

Qonix

Qonix

Awards
  • Established
I'm not sure what the dosing is in now brand but I take zinc every night on a full belly and until recently I could only take 25mg,just the other day I started to take 50mgs on a full stomach right before bed and so far it's ok. Keep in mind I've been taking just 25mg for a at least a year. No food =bad!!
i know that zinc has do be taken empty stomach for maximum absorption because all other minerals interfere with it

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
i know that zinc has do be taken empty stomach for maximum absorption because all other minerals interfere with it
The way i see it, id rather get SOME absorption over NO absorption after i puke it up...lol

Synapsin

Synapsin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Have you tried taking it right before bed? That's how I take my TruZMA and I don't get any nausea from it at all.

Br1ck_Sh1thouse

Awards
  • Established
Have you tried taking it right before bed? That's how I take my TruZMA and I don't get any nausea from it at all.
Actually that's a good question/point, are taking just zinc or something else? The magnesium helps, also I've found that vut C helps as well

NurseGray

NurseGray

Awards
Try taking a smaller dose. Everyone reacts to things differently. Higher doses have given people nausea in the past.

heavylifter33

heavylifter33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I've always taken before bed, typically in conjunction with magnesium (zma product) and rarely have issues. If you can't help but vomit i'd suggest taking with food.

BRUstrong

BRUstrong

Awards
  • Established
FWIW, I take almost everything on an empty stomach, as I pretty much eat warrior-diet style (22 hours of fasting, 2 hours of feeding). I either have a strong stomach or have gotten used to it, because I can down almost any supplement on an empty stomach and be fine...except for zinc. So I feel your pain. I have to take my multi (contains zinc) and any additional zinc with food or I get sick. Last time I got a cold I popped a Zicam rapid melt on an empty stomach without thinking and paid the price. It's bad

Synapsin

Synapsin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Like people said, taking it with food is better than not taking it at all if you're zinc deficient. I suggested night time because I find that's what personally helps.