Your grocery list for $70-$80

BurghHardcore

Awards
  • Established
Hey Guys,

Hitting the grocery store tonight and just curious as to what you all pick up on a weekly basis or so. I have $70-$80 budgeted for the moment and would like your input. Here is what I was going to pick up:

Chicken Breasts (not sure if I was going w/ frozen or raw, depends on price)
A couple cartons of eggs
100% whole grain bread
Some unflavored yogurt (regular) and a container of Greek Yogurt
Sweet Potatoes
Almond Milk (If I can find some at this place I'm trying tonight)
bluberries
strawberries
some mixed veggies (frozen and fresh)
bananas
apples
Possibly a Steak for the weekend (If $ permits)

ssbackwards

Awards
  • Established
BJs

i get 3 pounds salmon 7 pounds chicken 3 things of chevrine goat cheese. and i get 1 london broil and 3 lb grounmd turkey 93/7. done for like 2 weeks.

ssbackwards

Awards
  • Established
veggies i buy every other day usually peppers zucchini head of lettuce garlic and sweet onions. and thats all at an every 2 day basis. if i feel like eating them.

JackMac

Awards
Base your shop on the seven days:
1 tin of tuna a day, 3 eggs a day, a chicken breast a day, then buy a big sack of rice for carbs.

Jentry07

Awards
I agree with JackMac, tuna would be a good one to add to the list. You can get it for really cheap and it's a great source of protein.

ssbackwards

Awards
  • Established
goto BJs so much better for food pricing.

im weary of canned foods due to BPA, but every so often ill have a can of red sockeye salmon which is 700 calories.

id buy protein and fats first, carbs you can get anywhere.

bulkfoods.com

VitaminJB

Awards
I've really come on to whole wheat pasta in the last year or two. I feel that it is relatively cheap and very easy to mix with different meats to make a meal. Its high in carbs, but good in omegas, fiber, and of course whole grains. You'd be surprised at the protein in it too. I make half a box in the beginning of the week and it will last 3-4 days in the refrigerator. I think that would be a good thing to add to your list, but rice is surely cheaper.

+1 for the tuna..its just so cheap and healthy. I didn't see any lunchmeat in there either? Might be another option if you have the extra $$.

ssbackwards

Awards
  • Established
look into making your own dough man. cheap.

VitaminJB

Awards
Man, can't beleive I forgot...peanut butter!

BurghHardcore

Awards
  • Established
Man, can't beleive I forgot...peanut butter!
I picked up some Almond Butter instead. Overall it's much healthier, and with the recent alfatoxin craze it's better (though not completely clean) in that area too.

compudog

compudog

Awards
Hey Guys,

Hitting the grocery store tonight and just curious as to what you all pick up on a weekly basis or so. I have $70-$80 budgeted for the moment and would like your input. Here is what I was going to pick up:

Chicken Breasts (not sure if I was going w/ frozen or raw, depends on price)
A couple cartons of eggs
100% whole grain bread
Some unflavored yogurt (regular) and a container of Greek Yogurt
Sweet Potatoes
Almond Milk (If I can find some at this place I'm trying tonight)
bluberries
strawberries
some mixed veggies (frozen and fresh)
bananas
apples
Possibly a Steak for the weekend (If $ permits)
If you're on a short budget here's a couple things that may help:

- Don't buy frozen vegetables, fresh are probably cheaper (less processing/shipping) or at worst not much
more expensive, and they taste much better

- Stay away from really expensive fruits, some stuff is so overpriced it's stupid.

- Boneless pork chops are nearly as lean as chicken breasts or sirloin steak, and probably cheaper (depending on where you are)
plus it gives you a bit of variety

Also, you forgot milk & cottage cheese!

Cheers,

compudog