y'all cold plunging?

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Seems like this is becoming trendy outside of sports pros. Suddenly in the last 1-2 weeks I had 3 different people tell me they are doing cold plunges daily now. I think I recall Huberman talking about it being good for T production, although none of the guys who mentioned their plunges had heard that.

One dude keeps a full size chest freezer filled with water, opens the lid like a hot tub and jumps in.

botk1161

botk1161

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
At 56 I could not powerlift the way I am without hot / cold therapy. I always do a hot/ cold shower everyday - in Canada the cold water gets damm cold in the winter. In the summer when the water gets warmer, I go buy a couple of bags of ice and put it in the bathtub once a week after squats. Been doing this for about 3 years now. Got a buddy who has a freezer converted into a cold tub - I may build one of these babies.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Feel like this was a fad 5 years ago or so. I had done contrast showers quite awhile ago too.

You’d have to determine why you want to do it. It definitely improves recovery, but it also decreases long term hypertrophy.

There’s a couple other studies to that effect, not a ton.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
It definitely improves recovery, but it also decreases long term hypertrophy.
wow for real? I will have to read up on that. I thought from Hubermans podcast the discussion was around the testes being very cold spurring T production but I don't remember a lot beyond that. I never really thought about the cold plunging other than watching xfit athletes jump in ice buckets after workouts at big comps, but it never appealed to me until recently when all the sudden I hear about it 3 times in a week in 2 different states lol

I hop in the creek for 15 minutes. It seems to help inflammation and rejuvenates the hall out of me lol. I usually do that on an empty stomach as well.
So my buddy who believes cold plunging gives him the greatest dopamine hit the world and boosts his energy for the whole day says this is exactly what he does. Jumps in the local river which is largely glacier fed and very cold...

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
the columbia? what river?
more north and west, I think it was the upper skagit when we talked about it a week ago. They live in that area but they were also camping up past Concrete a while back and even higher on the skagit there I imagine the water is even colder. personally, I used to hunt the lower skagit forks around headquarters island and that water was still pretty damn cold where it feeds into the salt lol.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
You’d have to determine why you want to do it. It definitely improves recovery, but it also decreases long term hypertrophy.

There’s a couple other studies to that effect, not a ton.
man with a little more digging it seems like an early consensus is that it won't kill hypertrophy but will definitely "blunt" it. IDK, in my shoes I can't afford anything slowing down hypertrophy anymore than it already is lol.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Damn, I'm in south Pennsylvania, the water isn't too bad. I lived in Idaho for 2 years and my friend had a pool. It was barely tolerable 2 months/year. Your friend is a beast!
yeah mom and dad had an unheated pool in AZ that actually NEVER got warm even in the summer heat lol.
A lot of our glacial water out here in the PNW is freaking cold. Lake Chelan is miserably cold only kids can tolerate that for a swim lol

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Anytime I get in water that is Cold, it takes my breather away, and my chest getting really tight. Not a pleasant experience