Wrist and Neck problems with 5x5's

alewisdvm

Awards
Hello,
Hurt right wrist and strained neck a bit when doing 5x5's. I can move the weight, but does this mean I should simply be doing a lower weight.

I was under the impression I sould be maxing out at about 5 reps, but if I go lighter, I can do more, which is not the principle of 5x5's.

How do I prevent injury?

Newtonselite

Newtonselite

Awards
  • Established
injury in weight training is normally related to form

diggyboo

diggyboo

Awards
You hurt ur wrist and neck? What exercise were u doing? It's not the routine cause 5x5 is golden. I do 1 rep maxes every week and don't normally get injured. Maximum effort method, circa maximum method! Tell me what u were doing, bench? What grip? Etc etc

FL3X MAGNUM

FL3X MAGNUM

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I strained my neck like 2 months ago doing deads in 5x5. I was way too aggressive with my form and basically gave myself whiplash. Could be your problem too?

Newtonselite

Newtonselite

Awards
  • Established
I strained my neck like 2 months ago doing deads in 5x5. I was way too aggressive with my form and basically gave myself whiplash. Could be your problem too?
Dam magnum now thats balls to the wall bro lol

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Ive strained my neck benching, I was driving so hard into the bench lol

alewisdvm

Awards
Hey all,
Actually, I think the neck may have been aggravated a bit before starting the 5x5's to be honest.
What was I doing:
- barbell bicep curls (wasn't using an EZ bar). I almost feel like I have a harder time with the EZ bar.
- machine assisted incline bench
- machine assisted bench
- tricep pushdown
- machine tri extension
- alternating onearm dumbbell curl
- tricep dips
- some front and lateral raises

I actually don't think the neck was caused by any of the above. It's the wrist I am more concerned about.
I think its the barbell curls that is the problem?

FL3X MAGNUM

FL3X MAGNUM

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Try using power lifting hooks when u do curls to take the strain off the wrist.
Try bending forward slightly to get a different angle.
Try supported lifts.

Newtonselite

Newtonselite

Awards
  • Established
Becareful with all those badass workouts guys, this is what might happen :rofl:
no-neck.jpg

FL3X MAGNUM

FL3X MAGNUM

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Looking forward to it! Lol

diggyboo

diggyboo

Awards
Straight barbell curls will irritate some people with smaller joints. I would go back to easy curl unless that hurts u too, also dumbbell curls. Where does it hurt, on the outside by that little bone that sticks out. Tendinitis??? A long time ago I used to be in a masonry class, let me tell ya, laying brick all day then lifting weights did not agree with my wrists!!!

diggyboo

diggyboo

Awards
Come to think of it, the only thing that helped my joints, any of them, was time off!!! Shoulders, wrist, knees, or elbows!

alewisdvm

Awards
I would say greatest sensitivity is over top of carpals.

diggyboo

diggyboo

Awards
Do u have small joint like me? I think that's more common with small joints. U can try to work through it or take time off. It might take some time to strengthen ur joints. Reverse grip bench might feel better if done correctly. Watch Anthony Clark reverse grip bench. Or course if ur bodybuilding reverse grip won't help ur chest!

alewisdvm

Awards
I think I just need to do some additional wrist strengthening exercises, actually do a proper warm up and stretch correctly.
I cut corners and not surprised what happened.

evandem27

evandem27

Awards
I have terrible wrists, they crack every time I flick em. And they would be torn apart after a bench day and wouldn't be able to go heavy on curls. But ever since I got "grizzly" wrist wraps they've helped so much! They have a Velcro wrap on em. Helped me haven't strained em since!