Why is the love for 5x5 so strong?

spottedturtle

Awards
So I'm big on Reddit, mostly the MMA subrredit but I enjoy reading the fitness one too sometimes. What I don't get is why people so highly tout 5x5 programs (Starting Strength, StrongLifts, Blaha's {he's a fraud} ICF 5x5).

It's almost like a cult following. I don't really get it. If somebody is new to working out they're almost certainly told "omg you need to bench, squat, and deadlift 5x5."

Is it just me or is the "love" for 5x5 blindly strong? I just fail to see where it has become superior to other training methods and so highly revered. 25 reps for of bench just seems like such low volume for chest ya kno

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It teaches to make your center your training around compound lifts with frequency. It's by no means complete, but it's a good foundation.

25 reps may seem like low volume, but you're also doing it several times per week and, with the appropriate load, should be challenging.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yes, ^ it is good to build a deep base (especially on the compounds that train 90% of your body's mass and tie it all together) and can get and keep you moving and dragging out gains for a long time.
The multi 5 reps/sets are high enough volume for mass, but still low enough to use loads near 80% 1RM's which also builds strength and power.
Easy to follow for the masses, especially newer trainees and intermeds and as Rodja mentions, frequency thru the week bumps volume as well.
There is a positive history behind 5x5, that goes way back. See Starr, Ditillo, Old Kubik stuff, Brad Steiner et al.

Bobbaugh3

Bobbaugh3

Awards
5x5 I got bored with, 5/3/1 with assistance work kicks up intensity big time and strength gains shot up real quick, not to mention endurance as well, when you're going for broke on deadlifts and still have assistance work to do after you cant help but feel like you got a great training session in

ryox82

Awards
  • Established
Its about building a solid strength foundation and honestly it is the best bang for the buck, at least for me, with my time constraints. Also it gives someone new to lifting a solid simple program. Before I heard about that I was randomly picking exercise with zero idea of what I was doing..

jgntyce

jgntyce

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
5x5 is simplistic and as others have said, builds a foundation for strength. I have used the 5x5 stronglift app for iPhone and have enjoyed the layout and instructions.

ryox82

Awards
  • Established
5x5 is simplistic and as others have said, builds a foundation for strength. I have used the 5x5 stronglift app for iPhone and have enjoyed the layout and instructions.
The app is nice, and it makes me use proper rest periods. Nice to be able to keep track of progress without carrying a notebook.

repulsah

Awards
Progressive overload is the one of the most powerful motivators for muscle growth. Its broscience that strength training doesn't build muscle as well as 8-12 rep range. You may blow up quickly from all the new glycogen, but a year+ into your training and you won't benefit from it much, unless you're on steroids

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Call me crazy but i alwaye thought it was always about 3 sets of 10. The internet was the first time i heard so many people speaking of 5x5. But around gyms for years and years the standard was always 3 sets of 10

ryox82

Awards
  • Established
Call me crazy but i alwaye thought it was always about 3 sets of 10. The internet was the first time i heard so many people speaking of 5x5. But around gyms for years and years the standard was always 3 sets of 10
Sets of 10 was what we did back in high school during gym class. Usually it was 4, but my lifting coach was more about us doing circuits on machines instead of barbell lifting too so there is that...

Honestly, all of the different rep ranges have their uses. My strength coach likes to blast an exercise at the end of our sessions with a 20 rep set. I've started doing a 6th high rep set myself at the end of each exercise to try to help with that type of test on my lifting days without him. There are so many ways to progress and I believe that is what is really important.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
5x5 has been around for decades. It was around before Arnold started.

bruno.camilo

bruno.camilo

Awards
  • Established
I always aim to 5~15 reps

3~5 sets

**** this 5x5 method, dont work.

8x8 works much better

kn78

Awards
I did Stronglifts for the first 7 months I was back in the gym after a 3 year layoff from an injury. Worked for me, I did notice at the end I needed to mix in some higher rep sets though. I was getting gassed in no time when I switched to 10 reps.

blondbencher

Awards
I always aim to 5~15 reps

3~5 sets

**** this 5x5 method, dont work.

8x8 works much better
For who? You? For the novice, 8x8 would probably mean disaster. As many people on here have already stated, 5x5 is amazing for the novice lifter. Or a more seasoned lifter coming back after injury. You have to have some solid time under your belt before even considering something like 8x8.

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I like the 'science' behind the success of 5x5, which is based upon two theoretical mechanisms for muscle growth: myogenesis; and sarcoplasmic hypertrophy. Myogenesis (theoretically) is an adaptive response to exposure to tension typical in strength training (1-3reps/set at 90-100% 1rm) and may be described as an increase in the number of myofibrils (muscle cells). Sarcoplasmic hypertrophy is an adaptive response to exposure to time under tension (cellular metabolic fatigue) and may be described as an increase in volume of myofibrils and blood vessels.

In terms of the most effective training strategy for both strength and hypertrophy, 4-6reps for 3-5sets has a lot of support from 'the literature' (I cant help myself, i have to disclaim with inverted commas because the consensus has shifted so many times over the years and so much in human physiology is untested due to ethical considerations). It is believed by many (and disputed by many hehe) that this is because it effectively stimulates both myogenesis and sarcoplasmic hypertrophy.