Why does a tan complexion indicate hypo-adrenia?

spinn

Awards
  • Established
When I feel my worst....I look like I have a tan even though I have not been out in the sun in months.

My DR told me once that this has something to do with adrenals but I cannot remember what.

Does anyone have any idea what this indicates? And should I do anything about it?

hardasnails1973

Awards
  • Established
When I feel my worst....I look like I have a tan even though I have not been out in the sun in months.

My DR told me once that this has something to do with adrenals but I cannot remember what.

Does anyone have any idea what this indicates? And should I do anything about it?
Thats called severe adrenal- hypopigmentation

spinn

Awards
  • Established
eMedicine - Adrenal Insufficiency : Article by Thomas A Wilson

Adrenal insufficiency may be difficult to differentiate from other conditions, such as chronic fatigue syndrome and depression, if the onset is gradual. Hyperpigmentation may be seen in primary adrenal insufficiency due to the elevated ACTH overproduction by the pituitary. The ACTH molecule contains the sequence for alpha-melanocyte-stimulating hormone (MSH), which stimulates melanocytes.

Injectable glucocorticoid must be provided to all patients with adrenal insufficiency.

spinn

Awards
  • Established
So apparently I am overproducing ACTH...what does that tell us and how can I or should I get it back in line?

spinn

Awards
  • Established
An important physiologic response to stress is an increase in ACTH-mediated cortisol production. Patients with adrenal insufficiency are unable to mount this response, regardless of the reason, and they must be given stress doses of glucocorticoid.

AnotherOldGuy

Awards
I also read that iron overeload can cause "bronzing" of the skin.