who competes/plans on competing within next year or so

BOHICA

BOHICA

Awards
  • Established
I plan to compete somehwere around my 25th birthday which would be in 08. Since i fall into the super heavy weight class I want to have atleast 5 years of hard training behind me.
You might not though if you never dieted down to see where you would place. :)

Max32

Max32

Awards
  • Established
I think I have finally decided to give bodybuilding a go. I was set on going the fitness modeling route, but can still intertwine the two nicely. After I return from the O, gonna have the minor epigastric surgery repaired (outpatient and only 2 weeks off time) and start bulking up. Right now, I would venture to guess I am around 7-8%, 6 ft, 228 lbs. I would like to bulk to 240-245 and then cut down for the spring. I was working with Sagi Kalev on diet last spring, but am looking for some different alternatives as far as clean bulking, dieting down, etc... for this time around....

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
great to hear that max!! you've got tons of potential and you'll definitely do very well provided you truly dedicate yourself to it

not that i'm an expert or guru by any means but i know a thing or two .. feel free to PM me whenever you want bro

oldskoolbb

Awards
I was laid off from work in 96 got 8 weeks out of a show and got called back to work. It is really hard depending on what you do for a living. I tried to stay on target then but working construction at the time just could not keep diet right. I started losing too much weight and that ended that. I am looking at a couple of shows for june of 06.. Not sure if I am going to do a natural or not..it depends whether I decide to do a cycle[ never have done one ] I have plenty of size for a natural one. It would be a matter of conditioning.

Nabeshin

Nabeshin

Awards
  • Established
Three years and forty pounds of muscle later, I'd like to compete. I'm way to undeveloped now, though, I've only been going at it for a little over a year.

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
oldskool .. edison is far from where i currently am in nyc .. are you in NJ?

Atlas

Awards
Hey OldSchool, I'm from JC, but I have to go to Bayonne, NJ for a pretty kick ass gym called Mid-City gym. I believe it's sister location in NYC was one of the filming locations for Pumping Iron if you look at the credits. Most gyms in my area only have db's that go to 100, but Mid-City has 120's and I talked to the manager of the gym and he said they have higher db's somewhere else, but most trainers didn't know how to handle them. Plus I got a year for $300 bucks so it was in my price range and the environment is pretty cool, better than the freaking fitness gym I was at which was the only one I could afford. It was for yuppies, and they didn't even have a water cooler, they wanted you to buy there $3 dollar water!

oldskoolbb

Awards
Hey OldSchool, I'm from JC, but I have to go to Bayonne, NJ for a pretty kick ass gym called Mid-City gym. I believe it's sister location in NYC was one of the filming locations for Pumping Iron if you look at the credits. Most gyms in my area only have db's that go to 100, but Mid-City has 120's and I talked to the manager of the gym and he said they have higher db's somewhere else, but most trainers didn't know how to handle them. Plus I got a year for $300 bucks so it was in my price range and the environment is pretty cool, better than the freaking fitness gym I was at which was the only one I could afford. It was for yuppies, and they didn't even have a water cooler, they wanted you to buy there $3 dollar water!
I am limited for gyms in my area. I have one in walking distance..it is ok very small not alot of equip.. but it is not busy and I have 24 hour access. The other is a short drive very large , very busy,.. and don't get caught not cleaning when done,,even if you have not started to sweat. You spend more time cleaning equip. then training.. [not that I want to lay in someones sweat]
Atlas how far is rutherford? strong and shapely is there..I knew some guys that use to train there. Always heard good things.. but that has been a long time.. but I know it was a top notch place as far as equip. and atmosphere..

mab904

mab904

Awards
Competed 4 times in 2003-2004. Hoping to do another show next spring or early summer. Been trying to add a few pounds of muscle over the last year.:)

bigpetefox

bigpetefox

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
There's a possibility I'll compete in another 2yrs, depends on how much more I gain, and how my weaknesses have been brought up..

Nullifidian

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I just recently talked to a guy here at my gym who has won every comp he's competed in so far (I think 2 or 3). I mean won the overall, not just his weight class.

The most recent comp, he came in at 187. That's 11 pounds from the top of the light heavies but he won not only the light heavy but also the overall.

His advice: DO NOT target a weight class. He said just diet down and work on your proportions. Work on coming in as tight and as cut as possible and get your proportions as perfect as you can for you structure. The idea is to make your goal the overall, not your weight class. He said too many guys come in looking to win their weight class and they end up either soft because they were afraid to go too light, or flat because they didn't want to be at the bottom of the next weight class up.

His offseason is kinda old school though. He was 250 before he dieted down for that most recent comp, and he said he is going up to 270 before dieting down for his next one.

Interesting enough, Eryk Bui said exactly the same thing. 2 years ago, he won the lightweight class and he was only a few pounds from being a Bantam. Last year he won the middlewieght and was only 1 or 2 points behind Chris Cook for the overall. He said for competitions, aim for the overall, not your weightclass; come in at whatever weightclass your pre-contest prep lands you at.

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
judges look at you and how you look .. not your weight :)

with that said once one is a more experienced competitor it would behoove one to have a target weight where he knows he looks his best

Nullifidian

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Hey TC, post more pics! More pics! Preferably in the Adult section .... hehehe ...

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
There's a possibility I'll compete in another 2yrs, depends on how much more I gain, and how my weaknesses have been brought up..
BigPete weren't you competing a while back?

bigpetefox

bigpetefox

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
BigPete weren't you competing a while back?
It's been 2yrs since I've competed, I know right now I wouldn't be my best if I tried, someday I'll get the feeling to give it a shot.. ;)

Vtaper

Awards
I just recently talked to a guy here at my gym who has won every comp he's competed in so far (I think 2 or 3). I mean won the overall, not just his weight class.

The most recent comp, he came in at 187. That's 11 pounds from the top of the light heavies but he won not only the light heavy but also the overall.

His advice: DO NOT target a weight class. He said just diet down and work on your proportions. Work on coming in as tight and as cut as possible and get your proportions as perfect as you can for you structure. The idea is to make your goal the overall, not your weight class. He said too many guys come in looking to win their weight class and they end up either soft because they were afraid to go too light, or flat because they didn't want to be at the bottom of the next weight class up.

His offseason is kinda old school though. He was 250 before he dieted down for that most recent comp, and he said he is going up to 270 before dieting down for his next one.

Interesting enough, Eryk Bui said exactly the same thing. 2 years ago, he won the lightweight class and he was only a few pounds from being a Bantam. Last year he won the middlewieght and was only 1 or 2 points behind Chris Cook for the overall. He said for competitions, aim for the overall, not your weightclass; come in at whatever weightclass your pre-contest prep lands you at.
This is right on the money, many of the guys I know who compete are way to concerned with coming in at a certain weight, its no coincidence that they are bigger guys. They always say they dont want to lose to much "size" and then get smoked on the day of the show. And of course, many of you know the lines that follow a loss due to poor conditioning; "I ****ed up my water depletion", "I had too much tanner on", " you should have seen me the next morning, thats when I peaked", "the judges dont like me". Fact of the matter is, some guys egos wont let them diet down to the weight class they belong in, I actually know guys who would rather have a 4th or 5th place HEAVYWEIGHT trophy, than a 1st place "pussy" light heavy trophy,lol. (sorry im ranting) And the worst of the worst, is the guy who calls the promoters the week of the show, finds out nobody has entered the super- fat, I mean super-heavy class, and shows up uncontested and wins the class. moral of the story: trophy collectors undermine those of us who diet their asses off for 16 or 20 weeks. Once again, sorry for the rant, this subject always gets to me, if youve never competed before, but are planning on it, go for condition, not size, you will be happier when you look at the photos, and will not be embarrased to show them to people. Now to get back to the purpose of the thread,I will be on stage again next june.

Vtaper

Awards
great post Vtaper

what are your stats?
Thank you, Im 6'4", I weigh around 250 off season, I competed at nationals last summer pretty ripped and dry at 215. Dont really have many measurments, but at contest weight my waist is 32-33 inches.

ironguru

ironguru

Awards
Swiss-Natural over 40

I have planed to go in for the next year (2006)
Swiss-Natural Championship over 40

Attachments

ironguru

ironguru

Awards
BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Lookin ripped IronGuru!! Hope I look half that good at 44!

BV

Ironchef

Awards
Doing my first show in april of 06, Already dieting- doing the math I should come in at 190 or so at 5'10 of course I really dont care about the weight. Looking for full musclebellies and ripped- So diet is about 20 weeks right now I am 207 at arond 10% should be around 8% at the end of the year. Then I might stay lean and do the state championship in june, I want to win but doing the show is more important to me.

Nullifidian

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Doing my first show in april of 06, Already dieting- doing the math I should come in at 190 or so at 5'10 of course I really dont care about the weight. Looking for full musclebellies and ripped- So diet is about 20 weeks right now I am 207 at arond 10% should be around 8% at the end of the year. Then I might stay lean and do the state championship in june, I want to win but doing the show is more important to me.
Which show are you going to do? Is it the NPC Met on April 15th?

Atlas

Awards
Hey I'm looking for the NPC contest schedule for next year, but I hear the Atlantic States is on June 3rd and am 90% sure that will be my first show! Sucks as diet starts 2 days before my birth which is Feb. 3rd!

rysigpi

rysigpi

Awards
  • Established
I really really want to within the next two years. Its just everytime I look at myself in the mirror I feel too small. Right now I am 6'3", 230, and around 13% b/f. I feel that I would have to be 250 pounds at around the same b/f before I started cutting down for a comp, but I am only 20 so I got nothin but time!!!:twisted:

Also it doesnt sound too bad to gain another 20 pounds....3 years ago at this time i was a senior in high school and weighed a whooping 178 pounds...and I want as cut as i am now!!!

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
LOL..you'll never feel big enough. I was 240 at 13% and 5'10" and I felt too small to compete :D

I was gonna compete next year, but I may put it off til 2007 now.

TKE-PBOY

Banned
Awards
I plan on competing for the first time on August of '06.

ctgblue

Awards
Turned 40 last year, competed in two Masters shows this spring, lost 45lbs and a lot of muscle.
Putting the muscle back on, will compete in the spring, but only need to diet at 1lb/week this time.

Ripped1

Ripped1

Awards
  • Established
i figure to be a middle weight at 5'9 and ripped in 12 weeks\

Granite cup in NH, just a stepping stone to see if I still have it after 6 years away from the sport

bdiggler

Awards
Hey guys i have not pasted in a long time. But i will change that this year. I did my first show last Sept and i got first place in the lightweight class. I weighd in at 158pounds. Of season im around 180 to 185. Im just started my diet for a show in May. When i get a chance i will post sme pics and have you bro's take a look and give some advice. Im at around 182pounds at this time. Realy want to get a little tighter than last time i was around 5-6% bf not alot of striations in the quads. I will keep the bro's posted.:food:

Tom 185

Awards
  • Established
I plan on competing within the next year

I am also from NJ

I want to attend a comp first tho

fbxdan

fbxdan

Awards
  • Established
I would like to try to compete in the alaska teen bodybuilding comp, or compete some day when i'm older. I just don't know much about competing, and don't really know any coaches or anything up here in the far north. There's one guy I could get to train me, but i'd have to shell out alot of cash. I just wouldn't want to make an ass out of myself up on stage.

Tom 185

Awards
  • Established
Yea...there are a ton of sites that give step by step instructions on how to start competing....anyone have any suggestions on which site they think is the best?

zodiach

Awards
I plan on competing again this year, did my first one last year and now I am hooked!

zodiach

Awards
Yea...there are a ton of sites that give step by step instructions on how to start competing....anyone have any suggestions on which site they think is the best?
Go for an amalgam, there is so much good info out there, and honestly you have to know what works best for you. What I did was took all the ideas I could find and worked out a plan for me. Also try to find someone you trust who might be able to give you some insight like at your gym, and old trainer or something, it helps volumes speaking to someone in person and getting 20 qeustions answered in 10 minutes.

Tom 185

Awards
  • Established
Zodiach

what is the amalgam website?

Thanks

TKE-PBOY

Banned
Awards
I think he is not referring to a website in particular, but a combination of information from different sources to get solid knowledge and information.

Tom 185

Awards
  • Established
haha true..that one went right over my head

Jmazz19

Awards
I havent competed in three years. I took sometime of after my kid was born. I'm going to get back into it May of next year. Hoping to put on about ten more pounds first. Currently at 255lbs about 12% bf.

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
I would like to try to compete in the alaska teen bodybuilding comp, or compete some day when i'm older. I just don't know much about competing, and don't really know any coaches or anything up here in the far north. There's one guy I could get to train me, but i'd have to shell out alot of cash. I just wouldn't want to make an ass out of myself up on stage.
Bobo can prep you, and his fees are very reasonable. Bobo preped Glenihan and he came out great...ask glenihan.

mab904

mab904

Awards
I've competed a few times in the last 3 years. Took 2005 off from doing shows to grow some :D .
Plan on doing figure at the NC State, Junior, Masters, in
Albemarle, August 19th.

SamL

Awards
I'm preparing for the NABBA Scotland competition in May. My first competition was in 2004, and I also competed last year.

This will be my first year in the really old guy category, since I turned 50 last year!

NiteHawk

Awards
Im competing in 2 natural shows this year. 1st one is in June and the second one is September.