what now?

Mrbobcat

Awards
OK, I'm a 40 yo natural bodybuilder. I'm 5'8", 185 currently and been lifting for most of my life and trying to get above 190. I hit about 188 when I was 25. Since my late 20's I've had to be careful going really heavy and have been pyramiding my weights over 12-16 weeks to avoid most of the problems with my joints (had several injuries to both shoulders and right knee and hips bother me sometimes). Anyway, I try to add 5-10 pounds to my main exercises each cycle, but something usually happens (injury, cold, work, ect.) end up around the same weights. This time I was doing good for a change and gained about 5 lbs and thought no problem getting pr's this time. Well, the holidays got me off my schedule and I missed my upper body workout. I could have done it Tues. (which would have been 13 days bet. workouts and is too long imo), but decided to do my lower body workout since it was only 8 days. I got my 285x8 for squats, which is the best I've done in awhile, but wanted to get to 290. My bench seems to get stuck when I get to 235x8 (which I got about 2 weeks ago). I did do some very light bench and pulldowns thinking I could try for the 240 bench on Friday.
What do you guys think, go ahead and try the heavy workout this week or since I'm into the 15th week, just take the rest of the week off and start a new cycle next week? btw, I skipped my arms Tues. too so its been about 10 days since I did them directly too.

Cooky32

Cooky32

Awards
  • Established
I think you are too concerned with numbers. The whole point in bodybuilding is to build muscle. If on a certain day youre training legs, and 285 for 8 reps is all you can do. Do it and then do 275 to near failure, and then strip it to 225 and do that to near failure. Then move on to another exercise, and do the same thing. Fatigue the muscle, and really pump it up and then leave the gym, feed it and rest it. Who cares what you can lift. Dont sweat it.

swollwilliams

swollwilliams

Awards
  • Established
great advice here. the goal is a balanced, proportionate physique. let go of the #'s game and train for a symmetrical, aesthetic body. your bench won't matter one bit when you step on stage.

Cooky32

Cooky32

Awards
  • Established
great advice here. the goal is a balanced, proportionate physique. let go of the #'s game and train for a symmetrical, aesthetic body. your bench won't matter one bit when you step on stage.

Very true, Swoll. This is good advice. Bodybuilding is about building and shaping muscle, and showcasing it on stage by ridding ourselves of ugly fat, and water (temporarily). Leave your ego at the door, and just train to build muscle. who cares how many plates are on the bar.