What does HIT give that Non HIT doesn't?

LCSULLA

Awards
  • Established
If you are more interested in symmetry than strength then go for a pure BB routine
But Ex. most of the trainees that use these routines don't have enough muscle to "sculpt".

Not to mention that a lot of guys just don't have frames that will ever look like that no matter how lean they get
I agree. Most people have a better chance of having a sculpted body if they have something to work with ie: muscle. Most trainees don't have enough muscle to sculpt.

rajscorps

Awards
Ok, just a few quick points because I don't feel like writing any more books.

I stand by the point that if diet is held constant, a good pl routine will add as much size to a natural trainee as any routine out there. It just won't be symmetrical size. Fair enough. If you are more interested in symmetry than strength then go for a pure BB routine, that's a personal decision.

Because hypertrophy is caused by so many different things, you see a lot of brotelligence in bodybuilding (just as an example of how weird hypertrophy is - one experiment found more hypertrophy with 30% of 1rm performed not to failure than any other protocol used!). In powerlifting, things which develop strength for one person tend to work for others as well - in the realm of training for strength anecdotal evidence has a great deal of validity. WSB is based on a combination of a solid scientific foundation - i.e. the principles of verkoshansky, mel siff and others (those authors provide plenty of references for those so inclined) and massive volumes of anecdotal evidence in a controlled setting (the westside barbell club). In fact, one could say that WSB is a 20+ year experiment with an n=50 or so, though I can't imagine louie in a lab coat that's the purpose he is serving.

As for those pictures you posted... They're in need of about 40lbs of muscle :D Not to mention that a lot of guys just don't have frames that will ever look like that no matter how lean they get. Huge and strong is where it's at for me, let a couple of girls say they think it's unattractive, they still come talk to me at parties because of the amount of deference and respect guys give me. It's kind of neat to have people just walk up to me on the street, give me props and start talking about lifting, LOL. I'll trade getting looks at the beach for that any day.
Ok, you finally agreed PL is more strength oriented. I think that sums it up.

Most guys don’t have the frames to hold the physique of a PL either. In fact most can afford (not to mention they’d choose) to look lean as against look bulky.

I am sure WSB is extremely popular in the PLs circle. The overall truth is PL is not anywhere as popular as BB is. Nearly everyone would rather be muscular and in shape than be bulky and strong. Just Google PL and BB and check the number of hits. PL results are less than a fifteenth or something. Most don’t identify with PL. Also, when a PL puts on a shirt, it’s difficult to say whether he’s obese or muscular. Most look obese even when they take the shirt off. The WSB home page will tell you that. No offence meant there; PL is a great sport. That’s also the reason beach bodies are so much more popular than bulky frames. People care so much about a good midsection than being over 300 pounds.

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Bro, you are fucking whacked.

I know some rather big and well conditioned BB'ers who hardly look like they've touch a weight in their life when they have clothes on. I have a buddy who competed in the Amateur World's in Moscow this past November and with clothes on you'd wonder what he was doing there. Contest weight? 213lbs.

To an extent, I agree with looking and being strong as mention in the previous post. I have body dismorphia to I am constantly battling myself as to whether I want to be a big mofo or a lean as hell, with the ripped tummy mofo. Most chicks I know, while they don't want the Cutler of Coleman type body for their man and will say it's gross but will oogle guys with big chests, wide shoulders, thick backs and big thighs.

Call them bulky if you want. Hell, I'm a bulky guy myself but I've also never had a problem getting women - even when I was at my heaviest of 320 when I was 23. Fat? yes by "most" BB standards but not to the point where people would "think" I needed to lose 50 or 60lbs.

Just accept that people have different goals and pursuits and not everyone want to be or look like the "cover boy" model type.

As a side note... some of the biggest, fattest, powerlifters I have ever seen have some of the hottest, most amazing women for wives or g/f's that I have ever seen too.

rajscorps

Awards
Bro, you are fucking whacked.

I know some rather big and well conditioned BB'ers who hardly look like they've touch a weight in their life when they have clothes on. I have a buddy who competed in the Amateur World's in Moscow this past November and with clothes on you'd wonder what he was doing there. Contest weight? 213lbs.
We’re all fucking whacked. BBs are massive too. I’ve mentioned 300 plus pounds of weight as bulky. How many BBs you know who weigh that much? The emphasis of the discussion has been on PL and BB and how we need to employ these programs. Aesthetic appeal also was taken into account, but PLs don’t give a rats ass about that.

To an extent, I agree with looking and being strong as mention in the previous post. I have body dismorphia to I am constantly battling myself as to whether I want to be a big mofo or a lean as hell, with the ripped tummy mofo. Most chicks I know, while they don't want the Cutler of Coleman type body for their man and will say it's gross but will oogle guys with big chests, wide shoulders, thick backs and big thighs.
So you’re telling me BBs don’t have wide shoulders, big chests and thick backs. Or someone at 200 pounds can’t have those. The guys in the pictures above are 180 lbs. You perhaps took it personally when I mentioned not everyone desires to be bulky. I also stated the choice to be bulky or lean is purely personal. No offence against anyone.

Call them bulky if you want. Hell, I'm a bulky guy myself but I've also never had a problem getting women - even when I was at my heaviest of 320 when I was 23. Fat? yes by "most" BB standards but not to the point where people would "think" I needed to lose 50 or 60lbs.

Just accept that people have different goals and pursuits and not everyone want to be or look like the "cover boy" model type.

As a side note... some of the biggest, fattest, powerlifters I have ever seen have some of the hottest, most amazing women for wives or g/f's that I have ever seen too.
Only some? That’s a shame. Most BBs I know have the hottest women.

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
Ok, you finally agreed PL is more strength oriented. I think that sums it up.

Most guys don’t have the frames to hold the physique of a PL either. In fact most can afford (not to mention they’d choose) to look lean as against look bulky.

I am sure WSB is extremely popular in the PLs circle. The overall truth is PL is not anywhere as popular as BB is. Nearly everyone would rather be muscular and in shape than be bulky and strong. Just Google PL and BB and check the number of hits. PL results are less than a fifteenth or something. Most don’t identify with PL. Also, when a PL puts on a shirt, it’s difficult to say whether he’s obese or muscular. Most look obese even when they take the shirt off. The WSB home page will tell you that. No offence meant there; PL is a great sport. That’s also the reason beach bodies are so much more popular than bulky frames. People care so much about a good midsection than being over 300 pounds.
Ok, first off, never said pl wasn't more strength oriented :nono: It's a tradeoff - symmetry for strength, I've been saying that since post 1. The point I've been trying to make is that size will be about the same regardless. Most guys that come up and talk to me ask about getting bigger, not getting symmetrical. I'd say that the ideal here is being big, not being super lean and symmetrical - the pictures you posted indicate you would be more at home at a mens health style board, this is a BODYBUILDING board, I would say most people on here have an ideal which is probably closer to the 'Arnold' look.

Also, when you say people can't hold or afford the look of the powerlifter, remember PL is a weight class sport, you are competing against people of your own bodyweight give or take a few pounds - when you make fun of powerlifters, realize that most powerlifters aren't the huge bellied monsters you make them out to be - the fatties don't really come out till you get 308 and superheavy, and in some cases there are 308s who are fairly lean and JACKED such as ryan kennelly and scott mendelson.

As for the mass appeal of powerlifting, it's not a spectator sport man. If you want mass appeal why don't you go hang out on a football board or something, that's not the point of this discussion.

To reiterate my original point: PL programs will give you just as much size as bodybuilding programs, you will be less symmetrical and MUCH stronger. Leanness is a function of diet and should not be factored into a discussion of training methods.

:thumbsup:

rajscorps

Awards
Ok, first off, never said pl wasn't more strength oriented :nono: It's a tradeoff - symmetry for strength, I've been saying that since post 1. The point I've been trying to make is that size will be about the same regardless. Most guys that come up and talk to me ask about getting bigger, not getting symmetrical. I'd say that the ideal here is being big, not being super lean and symmetrical - the pictures you posted indicate you would be more at home at a mens health style board, this is a BODYBUILDING board, I would say most people on here have an ideal which is probably closer to the 'Arnold' look.

Also, when you say people can't hold or afford the look of the powerlifter, remember PL is a weight class sport, you are competing against people of your own bodyweight give or take a few pounds - when you make fun of powerlifters, realize that most powerlifters aren't the huge bellied monsters you make them out to be - the fatties don't really come out till you get 308 and superheavy, and in some cases there are 308s who are fairly lean and JACKED such as ryan kennelly and scott mendelson.

As for the mass appeal of powerlifting, it's not a spectator sport man. If you want mass appeal why don't you go hang out on a football board or something, that's not the point of this discussion.

To reiterate my original point: PL programs will give you just as much size as bodybuilding programs, you will be less symmetrical and MUCH stronger. Leanness is a function of diet and should not be factored into a discussion of training methods.

:thumbsup:
OK, here’s what you said previously.

In powerlifting, things which develop strength for one person tend to work for others as well - in the realm of training for strength anecdotal evidence has a great deal of validity.
You agreed PLs train for strength – “in the realm of training for strength�. Now whether you accept it or not PL has always been a “strength specific� sport. The WSB homepage will tell you that. All the PL articles in there and everywhere else will seldom talk about hypertrophy. WSB or any other PL program has never been focussed on hypertrophy. Its obvious one has to get bigger to grow stronger and vice-versa. But PLs want strength first and BBs want size first. There is a clear separation here. BB will get definitely you BIG. That is why it’s so popular. Men’s health boards or a BB board, BB is common to both; PL is not. So whether one wants to be simply lean or big BB can achieve that purpose. PL is barely discussed in BB boards. How many threads in here discuss PL programs? When Bobo hands out his routines to BBs here does he give them PL routines?

Man, I hate to parrot: different goals = different programs.

I don’t understand how anyone can miss that. Somethings clearly aren’t that obvious.

Now all I’m saying is that a BB routine will get you bigger, faster than a PL routine. Not stronger, but bigger. It is widely accepted. All thru I’ve been saying if that wasn’t true all of us would have been in PL. PL is a strength specific sport, and it will always remain so. Hypertrophy or not is moot. I’ve also said before PL competitions are judged for strength and BB for size. BB is a size specific sport. Clear, defined and distinct end results. Why would anyone entwine the two is beyond me.

As for popularity, the reason I said that is to clarify PLs doesn’t go for aesthetic appeal. They don’t give a rat’s ass. Absolutely nothing wrong with it, since strength, not size or definition is their purpose.

Like it or not PL is strength oriented. Being in PL you should know that. If you’re in PL to get big, you clearly are in there for the wrong reasons. I shouldn’t argue with you here because it doesn’t make a difference. PL and BB are both well established. If PL routines could have been used for BB purposes then it certainly would have been the case. And that is why PL is less popular. Most BBs are hardgainers. How many hardgainers get into PL? All they want is size, and BB gives that to them faster than any other program out there. If PL could have worked wonders for a BB, then the likes of Stuart McRobert would have been so wrong. But obviously you know a lot more than these people.

No BB uses PL training methods. Can you tell me why? No PL uses BB methods. Again can you tell me why? And that’ll always be the case. Even in our forum Bobo’s programs don’t include PL type routines. His purpose is to get you big. Strong or not isn’t of concern. And all the PLs you named, if they had a choice to get bigger or stronger, what would they choose? That should answer your question. You may hard sell PL, but nearly all BBs (since this is a BB forum, as you emphatically put it) would choose a BB program over a PL program.

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
...snip...

Now all I’m saying is that a BB routine will get you bigger, faster than a PL routine. Not stronger, but bigger. It is widely accepted. All thru I’ve been saying if that wasn’t true all of us would have been in PL. PL is a strength specific sport, and it will always remain so. Hypertrophy or not is moot. I’ve also said before PL competitions are judged for strength and BB for size. BB is a size specific sport. Clear, defined and distinct end results. Why would anyone entwine the two is beyond me.

...snip...

Like it or not PL is strength oriented. Being in PL you should know that. If you’re in PL to get big, you clearly are in there for the wrong reasons. I shouldn’t argue with you here because it doesn’t make a difference. PL and BB are both well established. If PL routines could have been used for BB purposes then it certainly would have been the case. And that is why PL is less popular. Most BBs are hardgainers. How many hardgainers get into PL? All they want is size, and BB gives that to them faster than any other program out there. If PL could have worked wonders for a BB, then the likes of Stuart McRobert would have been so wrong. But obviously you know a lot more than these people.

No BB uses PL training methods. Can you tell me why? No PL uses BB methods. Again can you tell me why? And that’ll always be the case. Even in our forum Bobo’s programs don’t include PL type routines. His purpose is to get you big. Strong or not isn’t of concern. And all the PLs you named, if they had a choice to get bigger or stronger, what would they choose? That should answer your question. You may hard sell PL, but nearly all BBs (since this is a BB forum, as you emphatically put it) would choose a BB program over a PL program.
First, you are slightly confused about PL style training. It's not some magical thing which is totally different than the weightlifting bodybuilders do. We do many of the same lifts, and we do a lot of work in the 5-10 range as ASSISTANCE work which is done after a max effort or dynamic effort. Hell, sometimes we even get up to 15 reps on smaller support and stabilization exercises. We also do some exercises you guys don't do that resemble the main lifts. We do about the same number of sets as a medium volume bodybuilder would, we just focus on different things. Because the squat, bench and deadlift hit like 85% of the muscles on the body AT LEAST, we grow quite well. Since certain muscles are more important than othersout for success at the three lifts (triceps, glutes, hams, core) we hammer the hell out of them, and they tend to be larger than the same muscles on a bodybuilder using the same drugs (we don't hit the slin at all really and we don't hit the gh much, and most PLs only hit the sauce hard 3-4 weeks before a meet if they are saucing). Heck, it's funny that you mention McRoberts because he is fairly evenly focused on getting stronger AND bigger in unison, there's a lot of ink devoted to getting stronger in beyond brawn... In fact I think McRoberts calls what he does weight lifting and strength training as often as he calls it bodybuilding, but I couldn't be sure since I haven't read the book in a while.

The reality of the situation is that PLs pack as much muscle as bodybuilders (at least until you get into the pro ranks where you have 5 figure drug budgets) we just have it arranged in a less pretty way.

the reason I'm arguing this point with you so much is that 99% of the time the first question other lifters ask me is "how much do you bench?", so I think most "bodybuilders" are very concerned about strength in addition to size. In fact, I think "bodybuilder" is a misnomer for most trainees, I think they just want to get bigger and stronger which isn't really bodybuilding or powerlifting, and the only reason bodybuilding is the "sport" in the limelight is Arnold. It also gets marketed a LOT by supplement companies because the more people you get into bodybuilding the more useless overpriced supplements you can sell (*cough*celltech*cough*methoxy*cough*nitric oxide*cough*).

Again, the size you will get from a powerlifting or bodybuilding routine isn't going to be that much different. It's WHERE the size comes on that will be different (bodybuilder size looks much prettier for sure) and how much strength you will gain (I'm the weakest guy in my training group and I've hit 440 on the bench). Some of the guys I train with who are natural are as large as the juiced up bodybuilders in gym where I train (solid 250 @ 5'10) and they use powerlifter routines. We are as big as you, less pretty and much stronger, and that is a fact my friend. If you don't want to be really strong and like having big calves, biceps, forarms and a big taper because your core is underdeveloped, that's cool, it's your perogative bro. I'm just preaching for those guys who are here because bodybuilding is what is pushed to the mass market and they want to look good and be strong but are scared of powerlifting because they think all powerlifters are fat and out of shape.

:cheers:

Manwhore

Awards
I want to be a powerlifter after reading that :) Seriously,good post. I would get on a PLers program but i just don't have the weight in my home gym. If there were a gym in walking distance,i'd join but because parking sucks so bad,i can't leave my house after a certain time or i'll be ridding around all night trying to park. I don't like gyms because i don't like crowds but one thing i always found was good in most gyms was that the power racks and squat racks are usually open,unless someone needs to do curls :)

rajscorps

Awards
First, you are slightly confused about PL style training. It's not some magical thing which is totally different than the weightlifting bodybuilders do. We do many of the same lifts, and we do a lot of work in the 5-10 range as ASSISTANCE work which is done after a max effort or dynamic effort. Hell, sometimes we even get up to 15 reps on smaller support and stabilization exercises. We also do some exercises you guys don't do that resemble the main lifts. We do about the same number of sets as a medium volume bodybuilder would, we just focus on different things. Because the squat, bench and deadlift hit like 85% of the muscles on the body AT LEAST, we grow quite well. Since certain muscles are more important than othersout for success at the three lifts (triceps, glutes, hams, core) we hammer the hell out of them, and they tend to be larger than the same muscles on a bodybuilder using the same drugs (we don't hit the slin at all really and we don't hit the gh much, and most PLs only hit the sauce hard 3-4 weeks before a meet if they are saucing). Heck, it's funny that you mention McRoberts because he is fairly evenly focused on getting stronger AND bigger in unison, there's a lot of ink devoted to getting stronger in beyond brawn... In fact I think McRoberts calls what he does weight lifting and strength training as often as he calls it bodybuilding, but I couldn't be sure since I haven't read the book in a while.

The reality of the situation is that PLs pack as much muscle as bodybuilders (at least until you get into the pro ranks where you have 5 figure drug budgets) we just have it arranged in a less pretty way.

the reason I'm arguing this point with you so much is that 99% of the time the first question other lifters ask me is "how much do you bench?", so I think most "bodybuilders" are very concerned about strength in addition to size. In fact, I think "bodybuilder" is a misnomer for most trainees, I think they just want to get bigger and stronger which isn't really bodybuilding or powerlifting, and the only reason bodybuilding is the "sport" in the limelight is Arnold. It also gets marketed a LOT by supplement companies because the more people you get into bodybuilding the more useless overpriced supplements you can sell (*cough*celltech*cough*methoxy*cough*nitric oxide*cough*).

Again, the size you will get from a powerlifting or bodybuilding routine isn't going to be that much different. It's WHERE the size comes on that will be different (bodybuilder size looks much prettier for sure) and how much strength you will gain (I'm the weakest guy in my training group and I've hit 440 on the bench). Some of the guys I train with who are natural are as large as the juiced up bodybuilders in gym where I train (solid 250 @ 5'10) and they use powerlifter routines. We are as big as you, less pretty and much stronger, and that is a fact my friend. If you don't want to be really strong and like having big calves, biceps, forarms and a big taper because your core is underdeveloped, that's cool, it's your perogative bro. I'm just preaching for those guys who are here because bodybuilding is what is pushed to the mass market and they want to look good and be strong but are scared of powerlifting because they think all powerlifters are fat and out of shape.

:cheers:
Bro, I seriously meant no disrespect for PLs. On the contrary I respect them a lot more than most BBs around. I brought it up in my previous posts too that touching even a total of 1500 scares me.

I know PL is a very tough sport and you guys are much stronger mentally and physically than most BBs anywhere. Benching 400 plus pounds is an ordeal for 99% of the BBs. I seriously don’t think you guys are less pretty. :D And of course it’s true in BB significant importance is given to strength too. At the end of it PLs and BBs have been equally successful with their respective training protocols. I guess most take that with a pinch of salt.

Thank you for keeping the discussion healthy. So unlike Houseman who thinks “I’m fucking whacked�. :icon_lol: I did find much to learn from this discussion. I don’t think I could have ever looked in to PL in such detail, had it not been for your articulation. I am certainly enthused by your input.

Peace.

And keep lifting! :cheers:

Meerschaum

Awards
powerlifters arent that big, and my granny rails coke to keep spry!, why dont ya go over to king kamali's site and read about his powerbuilding routines, or heck look at exnihilo's avatar.

Don Anabolico

Awards
We could argue about this till the end of time. HIT and high volume both have their advantages. One cannot rely completely on any one method and expect results thruout.

Dorian was perhaps the only high intensity trainer who tore himself apart. The number of bodybuilders who've injured themselves due to high volume training are countless. The list includes yours truly. According to Mentzer, HIT is less stressful on the CNS since the bodybuilder is only managing 3 working sets for any given bodypart, on any given workout day. He also allows ample time for recovery. Mentzer has emphasized on the need to recover the CNS prior to hitting weights again. He hasn't at all ignored that. His protocol recommends working a bodypart no more than once every 10 days. 1 or 2 sets to failure stress the CNS, but allowing for sufficient recovery puts things back on track. The high volume method recommends hitting a bodypart once every week with multiple sets and exercises. This could lead to overtraining even though it may not tax the CNS to breakdown point. Muscle fatigue should also be accounted for. One can easily defeat this flaw by tweaking the program (reducing no. of sets, decreasing intensity, increasing the no. of rest days).

From what I've studied, all popular programs recommend going to positive failure on the last rep (HIT, Max-OT, 20 rep squats). Forced reps have been suggested, but only for the elite. IMO forced reps are the culprits to overtraining and injury, not working out to failure on the final rep. Even programs like HIT or 20 rep squats need to be rotated to avoid going into a plateau.

The bottomline: adequate rest is quintessential to any program, HIT or non-HIT.
hey raj, sorry, this is way off topic....
i know im new here, (long time vet at elite) , but is there anyway i can get ahold of those steroid ebooks....
if you helped me out, i would appreciate it, and could posibly hook you up with a few neat thing :)
let me know please [email protected]
sorry to everyone here..

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Thank you for keeping the discussion healthy. So unlike Houseman who thinks “I’m fucking whacked�. :icon_lol:
I think you're whacked because of how you preceived/judge bodybuilders and powerlifters when there is really little difference between the two.

Most BB'ers typicvalyl start their "lifting" in a powerlifting style and then transition their workouts to a more muscle building style over pure strength. Their core, typically, is founded in PL style training.

That's all :)

rajscorps

Awards
I think you're whacked because of how you preceived/judge bodybuilders and powerlifters when there is really little difference between the two.

Most BB'ers typicvalyl start their "lifting" in a powerlifting style and then transition their workouts to a more muscle building style over pure strength. Their core, typically, is founded in PL style training.

That's all :)
Well, I think you are an individual who doesn’t care to read on the subject. That makes you more whacked. There is a significant amount of difference between PLs and BBs. But you wouldn’t know that. You can only voice opinions and never point to references. Can you show me where it may be explained how BB and PL are the same? Don’t tell me both lift weights so they’re the same. Or may be you would; I don’t actually think you know any better.

Most in here encourage discussion. They look up articles and then put forward their points. We can have as many opinions as members otherwise. Little difference between PL and BB? There is a lot of difference between PL and BB. Bobo has just clarified in another post that heavy weight training isn’t the way to go for hypertrophy - in the exercise and training forum. Hence PL is not valid for hypertrophy. BB is for hypertrophy and PL is for strength. And trainers who do not know anything about either gladly mix them up. The reason I cut the discussion short is because it’s pointless going on for ever. Not a single study I came across validated the need for PL when the aim is hypertrophy. Further, if PL could have been approved for BB purposes all the research would have pointed that way and all elite lifters (including natural) would have gone into PL.

Next time do suggest a couple of reference points. May be you should start reading again. Lookup articles by Lyle McDonald or Haycock or Stuart McRobert or Bobo’s posts on hypertrophy on this very forum. They can all be used as proper reference points. Don’t hard sell PL because you’re into it. Shooting your opinions and not providing references can mislead a lot of people. And I’m sure you’re very good at that.

roidpuple

Awards
Well, I think you are an individual who doesn’t care to read on the subject. That makes you more whacked. There is a significant amount of difference between PLs and BBs. But you wouldn’t know that. You can only voice opinions and never point to references. Can you show me where it may be explained how BB and PL are the same? Don’t tell me both lift weights so they’re the same. Or may be you would; I don’t actually think you know any better.

Most in here encourage discussion. They look up articles and then put forward their points. We can have as many opinions as members otherwise. Little difference between PL and BB? There is a lot of difference between PL and BB. Bobo has just clarified in another post that heavy weight training isn’t the way to go for hypertrophy - in the exercise and training forum. Hence PL is not valid for hypertrophy. BB is for hypertrophy and PL is for strength. And trainers who do not know anything about either gladly mix them up. The reason I cut the discussion short is because it’s pointless going on for ever. Not a single study I came across validated the need for PL when the aim is hypertrophy. Further, if PL could have been approved for BB purposes all the research would have pointed that way and all elite lifters (including natural) would have gone into PL.

Next time do suggest a couple of reference points. May be you should start reading again. Lookup articles by Lyle McDonald or Haycock or Stuart McRobert or Bobo’s posts on hypertrophy on this very forum. They can all be used as proper reference points. Don’t hard sell PL because you’re into it. Shooting your opinions and not providing references can mislead a lot of people. And I’m sure you’re very good at that.
I am sorry i have a question i was going to sent you a privit message but i could not get through......
how can i get access of the download able book... i read about???... i tried your yahoo brief case and i could not get through because of the amount of opening or somthing.... i would love to get my hand on some of these like CME ebook... thanks can reach me at [email protected] thanks

Renton405

Awards
So is max-ot kinda a different version of the HIT program?

I never tried I, about 60% of my sets are done to faliure...I think its important to start out with the heavy weights during the begining of the workout when your muscles are the strongest...I prefer pyramiding down starting at the highest, rather than the opposite...

I think one of the most important factors is trying to lift a little more than your last workout, whether its even adding just an extra 1/2 lbs on the bench, as long as your increasing thats good...cause the basic factor is your muscles growing in order to compensate for the larger weight used...if you stick to using the same weights for months on end your muscles really have nothing to adapt to...

Renton405

Awards
remember guys strength is different than power...strength comes more internally and power comes more from the outside/external/muscles...weightlifting is more for power..muscle adaptation comes from the power used in lifting the weight...a good example of this is when a skinny guy arms wrestles and beats a weightlifter who can bench 300lbs+, ive seen it happen many times...

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established

This is what I meant by judging. I am definitely not a powerlifter. Not even close to it but thanks for the props ;)

I started out my weight training career doing more PL style movements for sure. That was my focus - sports training for hockey, football and rugby. Now? I have switched to a combination PL/BB style training.

Oh and, I speak from experience. Not "theory".

While scientific research is important I personally beleive and trust more in individual experience and practice than I do what some "lab" says.

Hey, thanks again for your judgements. I'll be happy to go tell my PL friends that "I am a powerlifter" now. I'm sure they'll get a good laugh out of that ;)

rajscorps

Awards
I am sure you’re very witty. I still somehow did not get the joke.

Experience? That is highly skewed. BB and PL have a lot of science involved. It’s easy to recommend what’s worked for you, but that may not work for the other person. He may end up injured and frustrated. As you clearly mentioned you started lifting for sports performance, so how can you then say a BB will benefit from your routines and recommendations?

We all have some experience. That doesn’t make us experts. Anecdotal evidence carries little value in any domain of sports today. Scientific validity carries with it exactness, a very important element missing from “experience�.

rajscorps

Awards
I am sorry i have a question i was going to sent you a privit message but i could not get through......
how can i get access of the download able book... i read about???... i tried your yahoo brief case and i could not get through because of the amount of opening or somthing.... i would love to get my hand on some of these like CME ebook... thanks can reach me at [email protected] thanks
This is the thread you want to look at -

http://www.anabolicminds.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8704

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Have all the science you want but it's the practical application of experience that determine success or failure.

Believe me, I don't knock science but one cannot base all their findings on science alone. Trial and error and experience is the determining factor. Otherwise, we'd all need one way to diet, one way to train, one way to do (or not do) cardio, etc.

Meerschaum

Awards

You seem to have it in your head that strength/size are mutually exclusive, that going for one precludes the other, I find that amazingly funny.

Renton405

Awards
Isnt the main differnce between PL and BB is PL concentrate more on 1 rep maxs and less diet...I bet if the PLs cut down to low bodyfat levels they could compete well against the BBs...

rajscorps

Awards
You seem to have it in your head that strength/size are mutually exclusive, that going for one precludes the other, I find that amazingly funny.
Do read the entire thread before you start shooting your mouth, else it makes you look amazingly funny. Here’s a previous post of mine from this thread.

And as I mentioned earlier any PL program will bring about size. However, much faster muscle gains will come from a BB program. PLs are involved in explosive lifts (explosiveness/acceleration) with insignificant focus on muscular contraction and more on technique of the explosive lift; whereas a BB would focus on muscular contraction and controlling the weight so as to encourage hypertrophy.
You were fixated with King Kamali. That is what is so laughable. Comparing yourself to elite bodybuilders who’re all the time on juice and adopting their routines to suit your purposes can only be labelled dim. If he is powerlifting let him. Don’t espouse his routine and if you do don’t brag about it. Someone with even minimal knowledge would then rebuke you. Perhaps you could enlighten us with your knowledge on how BB and PL are similar. How about asking King Kamali?

Meerschaum

Awards
Do read the entire thread before you start shooting your mouth, else it makes you look amazingly funny. Here’s a previous post of mine from this thread.

You were fixated with King Kamali. That is what is so laughable. Comparing yourself to elite bodybuilders who’re all the time on juice and adopting their routines to suit your purposes can only be labelled dim. If he is powerlifting let him. Don’t espouse his routine and if you do don’t brag about it. Someone with even minimal knowledge would then rebuke you. Perhaps you could enlighten us with your knowledge on how BB and PL are similar. How about asking King Kamali?
Yes, something else to laugh at, fixated? sure , comparing myself? well I dont think I did that, but okay if you want I'll go through this entire thread and pick out how many pro's you decided to cherry pick to support your claims... However what makes you the most funny in this entire thread is again, the way you seem to think PL'ing or pursuit of strength, precludes hypertrophy, the best was the 'not valid' statement ;), enlighten you? I'm not a religious pontiff or philosopher, however I will be rude and answer a question with a question, how about you ask Garry Frank, Shane Hamman, or Ryan Kennelly how they got so big, or maybe you think they are pure fat? (I dont think you believe this) because they all train with methods that are 'not valid' for hypertrophy (powerlifting routine) according to you they should not have significant muscle mass, however its obvious they do have huge mass. I'm not 'fixated' on these people, I'm merely offering them up as examples of individuals whom have used powerlifting routines to attain good size and strength, are they bodybuilder level of fat or symmetry? of course not! but nobody will claim they are whos sane. Now you might again argue 'they used tons of drugs' or whatever you want to argue, but how many guys in forums use insane amounts of drugs and NEVER get as big OR as strong as those three guys, and Hamman I'll remind you was olympic tested, say what ya will about olympians and drugs but he couldnt have been running much for those years. I've seen plenty of huge powerlifters, and I think everyone here has, so its fairly obvious that powerlifting does indeed build mass (induce hypertrophy) and claiming otherwise is laughable. This is my last post in this thread, period.

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
Just want to chime in here again because I believe you're misinterpreting things to some degree, and I really don't want to leave this thread with any confusion about facts even if I don't make any converts.

If you look at how Lyle trains his clients, it's a mix between WSB and HST. Lyle really likes WSB and for good reason. Bryan Haycock's main reason for doing things the way he does is to try and constantly cause increased load on the muscle fibers - he also notes that the 5s seem to be the most productive portion of the cycle for most people, and advocates continuing with them for as long as gains continue. McRobert is not a scientist in any sense of the word so in reality referencing him is no more pertinent than referencing me, though what he focuses on, continually increasing muscle tension by continually getting stronger will work (but then we're getting back to getting stronger...) and his books have helped a lot of people who had their head up their ass, so I will give him some street cred. As far as what Bobo has said, yes it is true that myofibrillar and sarcoplasmic hypertrophy are different, but whether one causes a more rapid increase in size per unit of time is purely speculative and based on anecdotal evidence (which exists on both sides).

The way PLs train is no less scientific than the way BBs train in regards to hypertrophy (seeing as scientists haven't even completely figured it out yet, and there is little long term research on any specific weight training protocols, and what research there is, is plagued by problems with methodology and design, and is contradictory).

Peace bro.

rajscorps

Awards
Yes, something else to laugh at, fixated? sure , comparing myself? well I dont think I did that, but okay if you want I'll go through this entire thread and pick out how many pro's you decided to cherry pick to support your claims... However what makes you the most funny in this entire thread is again, the way you seem to think PL'ing or pursuit of strength, precludes hypertrophy, the best was the 'not valid' statement ;), enlighten you? I'm not a religious pontiff or philosopher, however I will be rude and answer a question with a question, how about you ask Garry Frank, Shane Hamman, or Ryan Kennelly how they got so big, or maybe you think they are pure fat? (I dont think you believe this) because they all train with methods that are 'not valid' for hypertrophy (powerlifting routine) according to you they should not have significant muscle mass, however its obvious they do have huge mass. I'm not 'fixated' on these people, I'm merely offering them up as examples of individuals whom have used powerlifting routines to attain good size and strength, are they bodybuilder level of fat or symmetry? of course not! but nobody will claim they are whos sane. Now you might again argue 'they used tons of drugs' or whatever you want to argue, but how many guys in forums use insane amounts of drugs and NEVER get as big OR as strong as those three guys, and Hamman I'll remind you was olympic tested, say what ya will about olympians and drugs but he couldnt have been running much for those years. I've seen plenty of huge powerlifters, and I think everyone here has, so its fairly obvious that powerlifting does indeed build mass (induce hypertrophy) and claiming otherwise is laughable. This is my last post in this thread, period.

No. Don’t make it your last point. I am sure you’ve much more to offer. After all the knowledge you’ve picked from Weider magazines could come of aid now. King Kamali and the others obviously offer “workout of the month� which I’m sure you unfailingly follow. I am certain if one were to scrutinize those articles he would find the Holy Grail of attaining size, strength and success in marital and professional life. I am not being insolent, only telling you this is where everyone errs. We all want to be Kamali and so we do what he does. Let’s get realistic. There is a need for us to explore and question which method may be best for promoting size. There is much data to facilitate that search. Also, I’ve not spoken of anabolics anywhere in this thread.

As for PLs not having size, I’ve maintained PLs get big and strong. Size and strength obviously go together. But you can promote size while keeping strength gains under control. This is what HST is all about. The heavier you lift the more you tax your CNS, which is not required for hypertrophy, since it affects the frequency with which you can train. The PLs you’ve named are again elite. They’re at the highest level. I think Gary Frank has gone beyond a total of 2500. Surely you don’t expect him to have noodle legs with all that weight he’s pushing. Size is there, but that’s not the priority. Ask any of them to trade between size and strength and you’ll know why PL differs from BB. The knowledge and research available today (coupled with experimental data) clearly suggests hypertrophy/size can be best gained by following a routine which focuses on moderate weights. There is a need to cycle the load – as HST suggests. PL does induce hypertrophy (again I’ve mentioned this earlier) but if there are better methods to gain size why not adopt those?

rajscorps

Awards
Just want to chime in here again because I believe you're misinterpreting things to some degree, and I really don't want to leave this thread with any confusion about facts even if I don't make any converts.

If you look at how Lyle trains his clients, it's a mix between WSB and HST. Lyle really likes WSB and for good reason. Bryan Haycock's main reason for doing things the way he does is to try and constantly cause increased load on the muscle fibers - he also notes that the 5s seem to be the most productive portion of the cycle for most people, and advocates continuing with them for as long as gains continue. McRobert is not a scientist in any sense of the word so in reality referencing him is no more pertinent than referencing me, though what he focuses on, continually increasing muscle tension by continually getting stronger will work (but then we're getting back to getting stronger...) and his books have helped a lot of people who had their head up their ass, so I will give him some street cred. As far as what Bobo has said, yes it is true that myofibrillar and sarcoplasmic hypertrophy are different, but whether one causes a more rapid increase in size per unit of time is purely speculative and based on anecdotal evidence (which exists on both sides).

The way PLs train is no less scientific than the way BBs train in regards to hypertrophy (seeing as scientists haven't even completely figured it out yet, and there is little long term research on any specific weight training protocols, and what research there is, is plagued by problems with methodology and design, and is contradictory).

Peace bro.
Lyle actually promotes HST over WSB or any other regimen for hypertrophy. He has co-authored a FAQ on HST.
http://www.geocities.com/alanmcclure3/hst_faq.html

In fact, he criticizes people who tweak HST and mix it up. He and Bryan see eye to eye on most HST principles and Lyle is Bryan’s proxy on MFW. In pursuit of one best method for hypertrophy, he has stated HST leads the way. This can be confirmed if you searched on MFW. Search for “lyle powerlifting hypertrophy� in MFW to check this for yourself. I am quoting one such statement he’s made (from the above search) when discussing PL programs for Hypertrophy.

It's moot anyhow, Korte is for PL performance. HST is for hypertophy. Copmaring the two in any meaningful way just shows how ignorant Raj is.
Different goals = different programs.
Bryan wouldn't say any different, I wouldn't say any different. Anybody dumb enough to think a single program is optimal FOR ALL GOALS is retarded. I'm not sure what Raj can't understand about this.
HST is meant to be optimal for A SINGLE GOAL. Which is hypertrophy.

BTW that Raj he refers to isn’t me. I am too dumb for an argument with him. This is also the reference I spoke of earlier (diff goals = diff progs) from MFW. I have looked for Lyle’s comments on WSB (MFW and web) but did not find anything exhaustive. I am sure he also advocates WSB, but my assumption is that he does it for strength gains. Please direct me to any article by Lyle which suggests otherwise. Would surely be interested in reading it.

Even talking of anecdotal evidence, wouldn’t you agree if PL induced hypertrophy at the rate at which a BB routine does, today PL programs (WSB and others) would have been readily accepted in BB circles? That is however not so. Stuarts and Bobos work could be considered as anecdotal evidence (although I have reasons to believe Bobo has done his homework on hypertrophy), and they’re both in favour of a BB routine. If science isn’t exact on this issue, then anecdotal evidence at least would have had BBs train for size with PL programs. Natural or otherwise.

My priority is size. If any PL routine gives me the size faster than a BB routine I will surely adopt the PL routine. Unfortunately I have not come across any material (scientific or unempirical) that advocates PL for size. No hard feelings bro. But I need to convince myself on this.

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
Lyle actually promotes HST over WSB or any other regimen for hypertrophy. He has co-authored a FAQ on HST.
http://www.geocities.com/alanmcclure3/hst_faq.html

In fact, he criticizes people who tweak HST and mix it up. He and Bryan see eye to eye on most HST principles and Lyle is Bryan’s proxy on MFW. In pursuit of one best method for hypertrophy, he has stated HST leads the way. This can be confirmed if you searched on MFW. Search for “lyle powerlifting hypertrophy� in MFW to check this for yourself. I am quoting one such statement he’s made (from the above search) when discussing PL programs for Hypertrophy.
The thing that really makes HST different from any other program is the SD/weight progression, which seeks to avoid forcing the athlete to get continually stronger in order to get continually bigger. Of course that's how it works in theory anyhow... If you look around the HST forums you will see a lot of people who made no gains in the 15 and 10 rep portions of the cycle and very good gains in the 5 rep portion, and bryan acknowledges this and merely addresses it by saying something along the order of "many trainees find the 5 rep portion of the HST cycle to be the most productive, and if you find this to be the case you should continue it until it becomes unproductive". HST also advocates high frequency (I work out up to 10 times a week, 4 main workouts and 4-6 GPP workouts) and not training to failure (Powerlifters rarely do). WSB practicing powerlifters simply prefer to get our size from continually getting stronger rather than taking the strength hit that something like a 9-14 day SD then working with lowered weights entails. To date there is no science behind which works better, though progressively getting stronger (the same method McRobers advocates, powerlifters just know how to do it better) is proven, and the HST style method seems to work for a fair portion of those who try it and execute it correctly.

It's moot anyhow, Korte is for PL performance. HST is for hypertophy. Copmaring the two in any meaningful way just shows how ignorant Raj is.
Different goals = different programs.
Bryan wouldn't say any different, I wouldn't say any different. Anybody dumb enough to think a single program is optimal FOR ALL GOALS is retarded. I'm not sure what Raj can't understand about this.
HST is meant to be optimal for A SINGLE GOAL. Which is hypertrophy.

BTW that Raj he refers to isn’t me. I am too dumb for an argument with him. This is also the reference I spoke of earlier (diff goals = diff progs) from MFW. I have looked for Lyle’s comments on WSB (MFW and web) but did not find anything exhaustive. I am sure he also advocates WSB, but my assumption is that he does it for strength gains. Please direct me to any article by Lyle which suggests otherwise. Would surely be interested in reading it.
Check out his website, bodyrecomposition.net I believe it is. Lyle bags on powerlifting a lot (but he bags on everything, he's really kind of a jackass who just happens to have a few useful things to say) but when he trains people (I remember the logs of a few women he trained) for size and strength, he uses a hybrid-ish HST with a lot of WSB style stuff thrown in.

Even talking of anecdotal evidence, wouldn’t you agree if PL induced hypertrophy at the rate at which a BB routine does, today PL programs (WSB and others) would have been readily accepted in BB circles? That is however not so. Stuarts and Bobos work could be considered as anecdotal evidence (although I have reasons to believe Bobo has done his homework on hypertrophy), and they’re both in favour of a BB routine. If science isn’t exact on this issue, then anecdotal evidence at least would have had BBs train for size with PL programs. Natural or otherwise.
The bodybuilding world doesn't have ANY common routine, which I think goes to show how poorly bodybuilders understand hypertrophy (not that scientists understand it completely either). Bodybuilders at all levels use everything from powerlifting style low rep heavy weight compound exercise routines (albiet adding some exercises for areas powerlifters typically ignore) to high rep high volume high frequency routines to once every ten days super low volume beyond failure routines. Guess what... There are plenty of examples of people using each type of routine that get huge using that routine. I think beyond the basics (eating enough and working out hard) it has more to do with drugs and genetics than anything else. Bryan Haycock has pushed HST as sort of a "solution" to hypertrophy, but as I've said before, given that understanding of what induces hypertrophy from a scientific standpoint is still unknown, and so his solution is derived from an incomplete data set so to speak. I just want to make that clear, because you seem to be holding it up as a perfect program of sorts which induces hypertrophy on an unseen scale to which nothing else compares, and though it works fairly well for a lot of people, but to use your own argument against you, it doesn't seem to be all the rage in the pro circles, and these people are paid to be as big as possible - if it worked much better than other programs they'd all have to switch to HST to stay competitive.

My priority is size. If any PL routine gives me the size faster than a BB routine I will surely adopt the PL routine. Unfortunately I have not come across any material (scientific or unempirical) that advocates PL for size. No hard feelings bro. But I need to convince myself on this.
If you want to get bigger faster (genetics permitting), do lots of steroids, lift hard and eat a lot (yes I realize this is a gross simplification). The type of routine you do (as long as you are working hard) just from anecdotal evidence, isn't going to make that much of a difference as far as size is concerned (though I will admit the existance of McRoberts style hardgainers for which controlling overall volume is very important to development).

If I were to posit that you could trade some symmetry and at most 5-10% of your total size (though honestly, I doubt there would be any size differential) for between 50-100% more strength, would you do it? I think it's a trade a lot of "bodybuilders" would make, and in my case it was a no brainer (I've been happy with the size gaining aspect of it too).

Renton405

Awards
Im a big believer that the strength of a muscle AND definition is related to its size..Some people dont, but I mean come on, say your bench is currently 270, by the time its around 340 your arms are gonna be bigger easily, you cant argue that...You dont see many skinny PLs...Your body builds thicker muscle in order to adapt to the heavy weight used in last workout...I think the main difference between BB and PLs looks lies in the diets not the exercise routines, because PLs dont cut down to low BF levels, if they did they would look very much like any contest bodybuilder...SImply put, big muscles move big weights...

jweave23

Awards
  • Established
After reading about 80-85% of this thread (minaly the points by exnihilo and rajscorps), I came to the conclusion I thought I would:

We know that the discussion of which style of programs is best for size and/or strength can be continued forever with no clear "winner" or "end", which is why I even hesitate to post right now ;)

I think the bottom line, in my time spent in the gym and researching, is: PL styles and HST methods seem to be interrelated and in some cases interdependant, although in the grand scheme of things a few general approaces are tweaked for each specific goal. I have been training with HST for almost a year now, natural and on-cycle. I have done typical 5 and 4 day split BB style workouts, HIT routines, GVT, and some modified 5x5 PL style lifting over the years.

My conclusion is that after researching it at length, and doing several cycles now, I am happier with HST than I have been with any other routine, but I am not a powerlifter, size is more important to me than how much I lift ;) After reading more about PL styles, however, one can see that concepts in HST such as SD and progressive load are commonly found in PL programs, just altered to suit strength needs, and may be focused differently as CNS adaption is still really the desired outcome.

As for HST trainees having the most gains in the low rep, high weight portion of the program, this is true. I would point out, however, that this seems to be a response to the progressive load (RBE) principle and the hypertrophy incurred for the first several weeks of the cycle, not IMO because it's just low reps, high weight. HIT training I have done used low rep ranges and high weight, but were not tailored with RBE and chronic stimuli in mind, needless to say the results were not nearly the same. Given a periodization shcme of HIT training, most seem to respond better to HIT style weight, which shows us what? That the progressive load concept is at play, which of course is stressed in HST.

I am simply saying that for everything I have read and tried HST gives me more growth vs. strength, which for me is desireable. Size is gained through PL routines of course (some PL's are huge guys, even at reasonable bf levels), but my recommendation to a trainee who wants to get bigger will not be a PL routine, simply because that is not the overall, specific focus, with all attention paid towards it. I do not believe that PL routines, all other things contant, will yield the same size gains in the same time frame as a periodized or HST style routine. After readin Haycock's work, I have yet to see anyone really go against it or show a better way to work with the 4 main principles for hypertrophy (size gain): RBE (progressive load), chronic stimuli, SD, and mechanical load. Just my 2 cents, and I am well aware that many could completely disagree with me here and continue the discussion forever.

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
I think the main thing that differentiates HST from any other form of training (as most styles try to cause progressive load by making the lifter get stronger) is that HST sort of takes a back door, and induces progressive load by letting the lifter detrain and get weaker. One caveat though is that growth is to a significant degree mediated by sattelite cell maturation, which is induced by mechanical tension - who's to say that even with a detraining effect that the sattelite cell maturation will be as significant as someone who has developed such monstrous strength that they can handle a 500lb bench or 700lb squat, since mechanical tension in the latter case is so much higher. Who knows... I hear of a lot of the lighter guys making good progress with HST, but I haven't heard of any testimonials from guys creeping towards the 300 mark without being totally fat - It seems plausible to me that the final arbiter of how big you can get when massive drug regimines are not factored in, is how much mechanical tension you can get on the muscles, which comes down to how strong you are.

Just my two cents. Keep doing what works for you till it stops working, that's my motto.

rajscorps

Awards
After reading about 80-85% of this thread (minaly the points by exnihilo and rajscorps), I came to the conclusion I thought I would:

We know that the discussion of which style of programs is best for size and/or strength can be continued forever with no clear "winner" or "end", which is why I even hesitate to post right now ;)

I think the bottom line, in my time spent in the gym and researching, is: PL styles and HST methods seem to be interrelated and in some cases interdependant, although in the grand scheme of things a few general approaces are tweaked for each specific goal. I have been training with HST for almost a year now, natural and on-cycle. I have done typical 5 and 4 day split BB style workouts, HIT routines, GVT, and some modified 5x5 PL style lifting over the years.

My conclusion is that after researching it at length, and doing several cycles now, I am happier with HST than I have been with any other routine, but I am not a powerlifter, size is more important to me than how much I lift ;) After reading more about PL styles, however, one can see that concepts in HST such as SD and progressive load are commonly found in PL programs, just altered to suit strength needs, and may be focused differently as CNS adaption is still really the desired outcome.

As for HST trainees having the most gains in the low rep, high weight portion of the program, this is true. I would point out, however, that this seems to be a response to the progressive load (RBE) principle and the hypertrophy incurred for the first several weeks of the cycle, not IMO because it's just low reps, high weight. HIT training I have done used low rep ranges and high weight, but were not tailored with RBE and chronic stimuli in mind, needless to say the results were not nearly the same. Given a periodization shcme of HIT training, most seem to respond better to HIT style weight, which shows us what? That the progressive load concept is at play, which of course is stressed in HST.

I am simply saying that for everything I have read and tried HST gives me more growth vs. strength, which for me is desireable. Size is gained through PL routines of course (some PL's are huge guys, even at reasonable bf levels), but my recommendation to a trainee who wants to get bigger will not be a PL routine, simply because that is not the overall, specific focus, with all attention paid towards it. I do not believe that PL routines, all other things contant, will yield the same size gains in the same time frame as a periodized or HST style routine. After readin Haycock's work, I have yet to see anyone really go against it or show a better way to work with the 4 main principles for hypertrophy (size gain): RBE (progressive load), chronic stimuli, SD, and mechanical load. Just my 2 cents, and I am well aware that many could completely disagree with me here and continue the discussion forever.
Absolutely. For size a BB routine such as HST would be superior. As for the 15/10 reps not promoting size, here’s what Bryan has to say.

This is a very subjective topic, and some will say they see greater gains during 15s and 10s, while others will say during the 5s and negs. The glycogen-depleting high rep phases of the 15s and 10s necessitate a higher carb and calorie intake if you want to stay in a surplus to build muscle. During the lower volume, lower rep phase of 5s, you may decrease carbs if you notice fat gain. People who notice most of their gains during 5s most likely didn't eat sufficiently during 15s and 10s.

Please remember that the stimulus for growth has nothing to do with any specific rep count or rep range, but has everything to do with the frequency, progression, and effective SD as per the HST principles. So in theory you should be growing at a constant rate throughout the cycle, but this doesn't always happen due to the way people eat and implement the HST program.

All protocols that promote size have two factors in common – progressive overload and eating better. Most novice BBs focus on stuff like muscle pump and burn, whereas most PLs focus on loading the bar, as that is what they’ve been told to do. This is possibly the ONLY reason why many BBs fail and why there are so many BB routines. The BB mags are to blame for “workout of the month� crap which misleads nearly 99% of BB buffs. BB is extremely popular in all parts of the world and hence it is ridiculously easy to be deceived as every source of information claims to be the best. Novices don’t care to question and readily accept what Flex mag has to offer (we’ve all been there). Most of the time the fault lies in screwing up the very basic principles (overload, frequency, nutrition). With HST these are aligned and hence nearly everyone is successful.

Experimental data confirms that BB routines such as HST far surpass PL programs when the objective is size. This is why we see all intermediate and elite BBs (natural included) sticking to BB and not PL programs. Science also demonstrates this (moderate weight + 6-10 reps = hypertrophy), but since some may argue science isn’t totally exact on this subject, experimental data could be used to verify the same. No BB trainer I’ve come across recommends PL for size. Over the years nearly all BBs have used routines specific to promoting size, HST or some other BB routine is another subject. And these BBs have done really well. Leading authorities on both sides (PL and BB) promote their respective programs since they know no one program can provide everything. Had that been possible we would have been left with either PL or BB programs. There simply isn’t a need for both if either could provide superior strength AND size. Obviously most understand that and hence PLs and BBs don’t swap programs.

I’ve said before we’re all entitled to our own opinions and hence this could go on forever. If PL could promote size as fast as a BB routine then surely PL would have been equally popular in BB circles. But that is not so, and for good reason.

jweave23

Awards
  • Established
I think the main thing that differentiates HST from any other form of training (as most styles try to cause progressive load by making the lifter get stronger) is that HST sort of takes a back door, and induces progressive load by letting the lifter detrain and get weaker.
I'm not sure I understand this?? :think: How is progressive load, I.E. lifting heavier weights throughout the cycle while decreasing reps, allowing the lifter to get "weaker"? Are you referring to the common zigzagging of weights from the 10's to the 5's, for example? (which is not necessary in HST, I don't do it, I never let the weight go down; I'll stick at the higher weight a few workouts before increasing).

Manwhore

Awards
I have finally found the key to size/strength but i'm not going to tell you guys if you keep arguing.

jweave23

Awards
  • Established
I have finally found the key to size/strength but i'm not going to tell you guys if you keep arguing.
ummkay

does it involve a secret handshake? ohh ohh, please tell me :rolleyes:

Manwhore

Awards
We should all LIFT WEIGHTS. Yup! the answer was right under our noses all along. I've been doing it for a few weeks now and it works. If you don't believe me just give it a try :icon_lol:

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
I'm not sure I understand this?? :think: How is progressive load, I.E. lifting heavier weights throughout the cycle while decreasing reps, allowing the lifter to get "weaker"? Are you referring to the common zigzagging of weights from the 10's to the 5's, for example? (which is not necessary in HST, I don't do it, I never let the weight go down; I'll stick at the higher weight a few workouts before increasing).
The 9-14 day deconditioning and the fact that you start the cycle on light weights and very slowly increase the weight over the course of many weeks, while promoting hypertrophy, allows neuromuscular coordination to wane. Heavy eccentrics also cause a reduction in concentric strength. What you end up with is small strength gain from cycle to cycle. But bodybuilders don't care about strength just looks right, so I digress.

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
... snip

All protocols that promote size have two factors in common – progressive overload and eating better. Most novice BBs focus on stuff like muscle pump and burn, whereas most PLs focus on loading the bar, as that is what they’ve been told to do. This is possibly the ONLY reason why many BBs fail and why there are so many BB routines. The BB mags are to blame for “workout of the month� crap which misleads nearly 99% of BB buffs. BB is extremely popular in all parts of the world and hence it is ridiculously easy to be deceived as every source of information claims to be the best. Novices don’t care to question and readily accept what Flex mag has to offer (we’ve all been there). Most of the time the fault lies in screwing up the very basic principles (overload, frequency, nutrition). With HST these are aligned and hence nearly everyone is successful.
I'm constantly getting stronger, thus I am constantly experiencing progressive overload, I easily get in 6+ workouts a week, 4 for strength and 2+ GPP workouts, I think the frequency is there, And my diet is about as dialed in at this point as anybody's. I'm massive and growing natty right now on a PL routine. I'm also much stronger than you (but you don't care about that, right?)... Mission accomplished.

Experimental data confirms that BB routines such as HST far surpass PL programs when the objective is size. This is why we see all intermediate and elite BBs (natural included) sticking to BB and not PL programs. Science also demonstrates this (moderate weight + 6-10 reps = hypertrophy), but since some may argue science isn’t totally exact on this subject, experimental data could be used to verify the same. No BB trainer I’ve come across recommends PL for size. Over the years nearly all BBs have used routines specific to promoting size, HST or some other BB routine is another subject. And these BBs have done really well. Leading authorities on both sides (PL and BB) promote their respective programs since they know no one program can provide everything. Had that been possible we would have been left with either PL or BB programs. There simply isn’t a need for both if either could provide superior strength AND size. Obviously most understand that and hence PLs and BBs don’t swap programs.

I’ve said before we’re all entitled to our own opinions and hence this could go on forever. If PL could promote size as fast as a BB routine then surely PL would have been equally popular in BB circles. But that is not so, and for good reason.
Or maybe a lot of bodybuilders pro and otherwise who are successfull do routines that resemble the routines that PLs do, minus special exercises and speed work, and they don't call it PL because while they are trying to get stronger they aren't thinking of competing in powerlifting meets. Don't forget also that a lot of pros actually do routines like the ones they have in flex man... If we're talking what works and what doesn't as far as anecdotal evidence there are some anomalies to work out.

jweave23

Awards
  • Established
The 9-14 day deconditioning and the fact that you start the cycle on light weights and very slowly increase the weight over the course of many weeks, while promoting hypertrophy, allows neuromuscular coordination to wane. Heavy eccentrics also cause a reduction in concentric strength. What you end up with is small strength gain from cycle to cycle. But bodybuilders don't care about strength just looks right, so I digress.
This is what I'm talking about, right here. You said:

I think the main thing that differentiates HST from any other form of training (as most styles try to cause progressive load by making the lifter get stronger) is that HST sort of takes a back door, and induces progressive load by letting the lifter detrain and get weaker.
Okay, now we need to define "weaker", apparently. If the trainee is slowly, from cycle to cycle, gaining strength (which normally happens), how is this "weaker"??

The main focus of the program is size, which we know. So in time, the trainee gains size and strength (as noted by yourself, others, and simple physiology), but the ratios are seemingly altered. Following a PL'ing routine the size gains may be slower, but strength faster; and vice versa for HST. I disagree that HST makes one "weaker" simply because they start over each cycle with a lower weight then they ended with, because comparing the end of each cycle should see a net increase in weight lifted (albeit small for most).

Thsi just solidifies in my mind the differences between the two types of lifting.

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
... snip

Okay, now we need to define "weaker", apparently. If the trainee is slowly, from cycle to cycle, gaining strength (which normally happens), how is this "weaker"??
If you were to graph a function of a lifter's 1RM over the course of a HST cycle, it would dip down about a week into negatives, the SD and 15s, probably break even somewhere in the 10s and one would see some small progress at the end of the 10s and the 5s until you got to the negatives again. In the long run a lifter may get stronger, in the short term you are detraining so that the same load (basically) induces load based adaptations (hypertrophy) again, rather than being forced to get stronger in order to continue growing. In theory. After a while I imagine you'll probably stop getting stronger from cycle to cycle too...

The main focus of the program is size, which we know. So in time, the trainee gains size and strength (as noted by yourself, others, and simple physiology), but the ratios are seemingly altered. Following a PL'ing routine the size gains may be slower, but strength faster; and vice versa for HST. I disagree that HST makes one "weaker" simply because they start over each cycle with a lower weight then they ended with, because comparing the end of each cycle should see a net increase in weight lifted (albeit small for most).

Thsi just solidifies in my mind the differences between the two types of lifting.
It seems that the argument isn't really bodybuilding versus powerlifting training so much as it is HST versus gaining size through progressive overload induced by increases in strength, so lets reframe it as such so we don't get side tracked. HST works great for some, and that's good. Progressive overload induced by increases in strength (along with steroids :D) has produced pretty much all the top physiques in the world over the last 35 years. Which is better? Bryan says HST, and draws this conclusion by playing connect the dots with large amount of varied scientific data - only problem is connect the dots produces a guess at what the final picture will look like, it doesn't produce the final picture itself. From an anecdotal standpoint, one could say that the fact that pro bodybuilders everywhere aren't adopting HST en mass to stay viable indicates that at the very least, when one is juiced to the gills, HST is not to any significant degree superior over classical training methodologies.

Anyhow, what it really comes down to is this: If it is working for you, to accomplish your goals better than what you were doing before, great. The whole reason I advocated PL style training in this thread is that a lot of lifters want to get both big and strong but get fed bodybuilding advice all the time because that is what is mainstream, and I can tell you from large volumes of anecdotal experience that if you are looking to get both big and strong, WSB style training will accomplish both of those goals quite well - could you get slightly bigger doing HST instead? MAYBE - at this point it's all speculation. Would the WSB style trainee dwarf the HST style trainee's lifts to an almost ridiculous degree? For sure. If *ALL* you care about is size, go ahead and roll the dice and see if you come up a winner with HST. If you are interested in both (even if you are somewhat more interested in size than strength) you really can't go wrong with a WSB style PL routine.

I think what this thread is coming down to is faith in the fact that HST really does produce more and faster gains (because at this point, given the things bryan cites that point only rates "quite possibly" as opposed to "definately"), versus a belief in what is "tried and true", and of course differing long term goals. I think what is ruffling my feathers here more than anything (since I don't have a problem with agreeing to disagree) is that PL/WSB style training is being mis-characterized by people who don't really understand or know much of anything about it beyond the fact that we do some sort of max single for bench and squat/deadlift and low rep not to failure speed work for bench and squat/deadlift each week. If it was properly understood, you could see how the "size" aspect of this argument, at least in respect to classical bodybuilding routines versus WSB style training comes down more to differences in diet and drug regimens. As far as HST vs everything else, on that point until I see a significant amount of anecdotal evidence we'll have to agree to disagree.

Meerschaum

Awards
If you were to graph a function of a lifter's 1RM over the course of a HST cycle, it would dip down about a week into negatives, the SD and 15s, probably break even somewhere in the 10s and one would see some small progress at the end of the 10s and the 5s until you got to the negatives again. In the long run a lifter may get stronger, in the short term you are detraining so that the same load (basically) induces load based adaptations (hypertrophy) again, rather than being forced to get stronger in order to continue growing. In theory. After a while I imagine you'll probably stop getting stronger from cycle to cycle too...

It seems that the argument isn't really bodybuilding versus powerlifting training so much as it is HST versus gaining size through progressive overload induced by increases in strength, so lets reframe it as such so we don't get side tracked. HST works great for some, and that's good. Progressive overload induced by increases in strength (along with steroids :D) has produced pretty much all the top physiques in the world over the last 35 years. Which is better? Bryan says HST, and draws this conclusion by playing connect the dots with large amount of varied scientific data - only problem is connect the dots produces a guess at what the final picture will look like, it doesn't produce the final picture itself. From an anecdotal standpoint, one could say that the fact that pro bodybuilders everywhere aren't adopting HST en mass to stay viable indicates that at the very least, when one is juiced to the gills, HST is not to any significant degree superior over classical training methodologies.

Anyhow, what it really comes down to is this: If it is working for you, to accomplish your goals better than what you were doing before, great. The whole reason I advocated PL style training in this thread is that a lot of lifters want to get both big and strong but get fed bodybuilding advice all the time because that is what is mainstream, and I can tell you from large volumes of anecdotal experience that if you are looking to get both big and strong, WSB style training will accomplish both of those goals quite well - could you get slightly bigger doing HST instead? MAYBE - at this point it's all speculation. Would the WSB style trainee dwarf the HST style trainee's lifts to an almost ridiculous degree? For sure. If *ALL* you care about is size, go ahead and roll the dice and see if you come up a winner with HST. If you are interested in both (even if you are somewhat more interested in size than strength) you really can't go wrong with a WSB style PL routine.

I think what this thread is coming down to is faith in the fact that HST really does produce more and faster gains (because at this point, given the things bryan cites that point only rates "quite possibly" as opposed to "definately"), versus a belief in what is "tried and true", and of course differing long term goals. I think what is ruffling my feathers here more than anything (since I don't have a problem with agreeing to disagree) is that PL/WSB style training is being mis-characterized by people who don't really understand or know much of anything about it beyond the fact that we do some sort of max single for bench and squat/deadlift and low rep not to failure speed work for bench and squat/deadlift each week. If it was properly understood, you could see how the "size" aspect of this argument, at least in respect to classical bodybuilding routines versus WSB style training comes down more to differences in diet and drug regimens. As far as HST vs everything else, on that point until I see a significant amount of anecdotal evidence we'll have to agree to disagree.
okay, just to put another perspective on the table here, this is anabolicminds.com, gear use is rampant and training is varied, if HST produces more mass gains than other conventional training, isnt it logical that while 'on' guys doing hst would grow more?, I dont see that, I see roughly similer gains in size per cycle from people training a multitude of various ways (assuming they eat roughly the same and train enough) . I dont contend HST sucks, but I think you are absolutely right that powerlifters are just as muscular, obese shw guys aside they got a good solid look, I've yet to see a powerlifter who cycled roids, ate proper, and trained hard who was a peanut.

jweave23

Awards
  • Established
It appears most of this is speculation and opinion from you also... which is fine, I'm doing the same ;) It seems you are speculating that the lifter will stop getting strength gains in time from HST training, which appears to be difficult to back up with hard evidence. I think we do agree on one certain thing: diet and cardio can be a MAJOR contributing factor here.

What I think plays a key role in this equation of size and strength is that most lifters' diets are not taken into play enough to realize that they are key factors in either a) their size gains or b) their strength gains. As Haycock himself has said, diet is an important factor here. Without increasing calories, the size and strength gains from any style of program will stall out. If we are going to go by anecdotal evidence, I will say this: the overwhelming majority of PL'ers I have seen eat more calories than physique-conscious BB'ers. I'm not presumptuous enough to imply that I have the answer to this equation, but I'm sure diet has something to do with some discrepancies in weight gain and strength gains.

You're right, we'll have to agree to disagree on certain aspects. I believe that both programs are effective at what they are aimed at achieving, and I also believe that IF diet, supps, and possibly AS are considered, both styles of lifting will see significant gains either way, and I think we could come back to the conclusion that one approach simply will not work. This again brings us back to recommending different appraoches, and the ball continues to roll on.... :frustrate

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
Heh, this is why I'm glad I'm a strength athlete and not a bodybuilder... What works and what doesn't is a lot more clear on my side of the of things :D Being big is fun too though, I'm glad that I've managed to succeed in both realms.

Figure out what your goals are and find what works best for you. I think I can let it sit with that if nobody mischaracterizes how PLs train :D