What constitutes "natural"?

MrBrightside

MrBrightside

Awards
  • Established
I've seen some people say that regular peanut butter makes them put on extra fat, but natural peanut butter does not. That being said, what prerequisites does a PB have to fulfill in order to be considered "natural"? (ingredient specific)

Timmo

Timmo

Awards
Natural doesnt have any artificial flavouring or ingredients, it only has one ingredient, just peanuts, and a couple kinds have salt. Regular peanut butter has a tonne of other crap that is terrible for you, sugar and icing sugar, hydrogenated vegtable oil and a bunch of other additives and preservatives.

dadream

dadream

Awards
  • Established
Timmo pretty much nailed this one. As for your claim that some say regular pb makes them gain fat while the natty doesn't is a bit odd. Even though the regular pb has additives/perservatives in it, it still has roughly the same fat and calorie content, which makes me wonder if it is the pb responsible for their weight gain.

MrBrightside

MrBrightside

Awards
  • Established
I do think it plays a big role in definition, especially when you get below 40g fat and 8% bodyfat, but I don't know if the artificiality is to blame for this. I notice some differences on days after including peanut butter in my protein shakes and days after I don't. It's pretty visible.

ThomasRivera

ThomasRivera

Awards
  • Established
Natural peanut butter has slightly less sodium than peanut butter does. But I doubt the amount that regular peanut butter has over natural would attribute to any significant visual difference.

Chub

Chub

Awards
  • Established
Also, when you see peanut butters with palm oil and crap like that in it, you just know it ain't gonna be good. A lot of companies put in palm oil to stop it seperating. Where as natural peanut butter doesn't have any palm oil in it, thats why you get a natural seperation on the top when you open the tub!

Timmo

Timmo

Awards
I woudlnt necessarily say that statment is bogus. Its unlikely that is the sole cause of the fat gain, but if a person was eating alot of regular peanut butter it could make a difference. Eating all that sugar and hydrogenated oil woudlnt be doing you any favours. Alot of regular peanut butter is closer to cake frosting than it is to a healthy fat.

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
As stated, from a scientific perspective it is completely bogus.

If the non-natural peanut butter has a higher calorie density than natural peanut butter then it could be the culprit if they are not adjusting their quantities. However that goes for any food with a positive calorie value - eat enough of it and it will lead to fat gain.

Foods do not make one fat. Quantity (and frequency) of food leads to fat gain.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
As stated, from a scientific perspective it is completely bogus.

If the non-natural peanut butter has a higher calorie density than natural peanut butter then it could be the culprit if they are not adjusting their quantities. However that goes for any food with a positive calorie value - eat enough of it and it will lead to fat gain.

Foods do not make one fat. Quantity (and frequency) of food leads to fat gain.
Well, food stuffs may exert metabolic effects irrespective of their caloric values.

(see: The metabolization of trans-fatty acids versus poly/monounsaturated fatty acids and saturated fatty acids).

I agree with what you are saying here, though.

Dietfreak

Awards
Well, food stuffs may exert metabolic effects irrespective of their caloric values.

(see: The metabolization of trans-fatty acids versus poly/monounsaturated fatty acids and saturated fatty acids).

I agree with what you are saying here, though.
I agree with Nitrox. Trans-fat or unsaturated does not make a difference in the calories and all fats trigger CCK..

Pb like smart balance uses vit. E for stabilization while non-natural pb uses sugar and trans-fatty acids. The difference is going to be internal (atherosclerosis) not external.

Omen

Banned
Awards
  • Established
You can make your own "natural" PB.

Put shelled peanuts in blender, turn blender on until creamy, spelnda/peanut oil optional.

CTDeuce

CTDeuce

MST Reppin Hard!
Awards
  • Established
You can make your own "natural" PB.

Put shelled peanuts in blender, turn blender on until creamy, spelnda/peanut oil optional.
adding splenda would definitely void the "natural" aspect of this.

I use natural PB or Almond Butter instead of regular peanut butter for a multitude of reasons. The number one reason, which many seem to overlook, is your health! Everyone has become so concerned over what will make them fat or if the results will be visible or not. Take a moment and think of what these manufactured products are doing to your insides...which in all essence...is the thing that matters the most.

Regardless of what cal's do to your outward appearance and if trans/sat fats create any difference visibly than poly or mono do does not matter to me whatsoever. What matters to me is that I am eating healthy and working out for my future and my health...not for the image in the mirror.