What’s everyone’s favorite protein?

Nac

Nac

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I’ll never get the taste of the old Myoplex packets out of my mind. 😅
Lol, all I remember from those were they mixed very thick. I cant remember if I liked the flavours much, it was back in the day when I believed the hype that protein powder had special gainz power over whole food ugh...

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Lol, all I remember from those were they mixed very thick. I cant remember if I liked the flavours much, it was back in the day when I believed the hype that protein powder had special gainz power over whole food ugh...
Idk if they were that bad, but I also remember I used to blend them up with oats and that the texture and thickness was pretty bad.

Slims

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
MyProtein is my usual go-to, they have a lot of different types of protein powders and a huge variety of favours, they're decent value for money too.

Every now and again I'll treat myself to a tub of PES Select.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Anyone tried Pescience

....cafe series coffee flavours?
....protein4 oats maple syrup?

Ive tried other brands coffee flavours and none have been any good.
I’ve had a sample of the maple protein4oats.

I legitimately dislike all PES flavors; I’ve had most of them and the mixability is poor/messy and the flavors were always too sweet or gross in aftertaste to the point of making them hard to drink. They’re dead to me.

So with that being understood - credit where it’s due: the maple protein4oats was pretty good in a hot bowl of oats. I would say if you’re on the fence, give it a shot.

Reactions: Nac
sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Anyone tried Pescience

....cafe series coffee flavours?
....protein4 oats maple syrup?

Ive tried other brands coffee flavours and none have been any good.
I haven't tried any of PES's coffee flavors, but hopefully others will give feedback bc PES protein is popular here.

I'm with you in that I'd never found a coffee flavor protein that I liked - until I tried Ketogenics IsoWhey. If you want a good coffee flavor, that is excellent. I was so skeptical of trying it bc I've never liked any other coffee proteins I've tried that I had my daughter try it first because she loves coffee flavor haha. But it is spot on imo. You can do 2 scoops w Almond Milk and it tastes like you're drinking a coffee drink from a coffee shop or go 2 scoops with about 3 to 4 ounces and put it in the refrigerator overnight and its like having a coffee protein pudding for breakfast.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I have a hard time giving my money to most companies after so many were found to be spiking with glutamine or whatever years ago. I guess I really only trust myprotein, NOW and Optimum, but mostly because it's too much effort to figure out who might also have a quality product.

Nac

Nac

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Dymatize makes two good coffee flavored proteins part of the Dunkin Donuts branding partnership
Ugh cos its Dymatise I have no doubt they taste fawkin good but Im international and nowhere domestic stocks those flavours and nowhere US ships them here.

Darkhorse192

Darkhorse192

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Ugh cos its Dymatise I have no doubt they taste fawkin good but Im international and nowhere domestic stocks those flavours and nowhere US ships them here.
I mean I would be willing to send them to you, if you truly wanted to trey them or help find a site that will...what country are you in?

hyperCat

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I’ve purchased about 5 different protein powders recently and I’ve just been rotating with them. Mostly wanted to try something other than the Syntha 6 whey I’ve been drinking for years, although I still like that one (cake batter). Wanted to try some isolates, so picked up some Syntha 6 chocolate iso and Muscle Feast chocolate iso. I think MF is the cleanest, but the thick texture and flavor of the Syntha iso is amazing. I did try a cheaper brand iso but just didn’t care for it. I then picked up some casein Dymatize cinnamon bun, and damn that’s good. Like a healthy snack before bedtime. Has a thick texture and reminds me more of graham crackers than cinnamon. Just had another tub of of regular Syntha 6 whey delivered from Amazon I forgot was on subscription, so I got so much protein right now we don’t have enough cabinet space to put it in. My wife like wtf with all the protein?

Nac

Nac

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I mean I would be willing to send them to you, if you truly wanted to trey them or help find a site that will...what country are you in?
Youre a good dude and I appreciate the offer but damned if I can find anywhere that ships to New Zealand. We only get really get the main staple flavours at stores here and nothing too exotic.

Nac

Nac

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I’ve purchased about 5 different protein powders recently and I’ve just been rotating with them. Mostly wanted to try something other than the Syntha 6 whey I’ve been drinking for years, although I still like that one (cake batter). Wanted to try some isolates, so picked up some Syntha 6 chocolate iso and Muscle Feast chocolate iso. I think MF is the cleanest, but the thick texture and flavor of the Syntha iso is amazing. I did try a cheaper brand iso but just didn’t care for it. I then picked up some casein Dymatize cinnamon bun, and damn that’s good. Like a healthy snack before bedtime. Has a thick texture and reminds me more of graham crackers than cinnamon. Just had another tub of of regular Syntha 6 whey delivered from Amazon I forgot was on subscription, so I got so much protein right now we don’t have enough cabinet space to put it in. My wife like wtf with all the protein?
Syntha 6...I love thick and creamy, are all their flavours like that?

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Dymatize makes two good coffee flavored proteins part of the Dunkin Donuts branding partnership
Now they just need a pumpkin spice latte flavor and then I'm sold for fall! ;)

hyperCat

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Syntha 6...I love thick and creamy, are all their flavours like that?
Their Isolate chocolate milkshake is, and it’s good too! Regular whey not as thick. I’ll also note the ratio of powder to milk I use is a little high too.

Reactions: Nac

timmy8888

Awards
  • Established
•Mutant vanilla milkshake cost effective find on dps and it is delicious
•ryse cinnamon toast- best mix ability and even in water its smooth and creamy. On sweeter side
•mts red velvet- my weekly treat mix it in some Greek yogurt get a nice dense consistency. Even better is mix the red velvet and some full fat skyr and you can have a mock custard/ mousse. Imo best tasting protein flavor and im not a big red velvet cake fan

Hypnotic traveling

Hypnotic traveling

Awards
  • First Up Vote
i always was curious about this, was hesitant to purchase though in case I hated it. I’ll have to give it a try!

Stacks1

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I thought those Myoplex packets tasted great back in the day! I probably haven't had Myoplex in 20 years but I remember it tasting great. I really liked the vanilla and I usually hate vanilla flavors. I also used to drink the Myoplex ready to go drinks too which came in like a juice box.

However, the protein powders today taste so much better than the crap I drank back then, so it's possible Myoplex just tasted good compared to the competition back then but wouldn't hold up to the stuff today.

PolishHamm3r77

PolishHamm3r77

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I thought those Myoplex packets tasted great back in the day! I probably haven't had Myoplex in 20 years but I remember it tasting great. I really liked the vanilla and I usually hate vanilla flavors. I also used to drink the Myoplex ready to go drinks too which came in like a juice box.

However, the protein powders today taste so much better than the crap I drank back then, so it's possible Myoplex just tasted good compared to the competition back then but wouldn't hold up to the stuff today.
It was Myoplex or MetRx as your options for MRP’s late 90’s early 2000’s. Loved the Myoplex more!!! As thick as it was mixed better than MetRx

Stacks1

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
It was Myoplex or MetRx as your options for MRP’s late 90’s early 2000’s. Loved the Myoplex more!!! As thick as it was mixed better than MetRx
Yes! I drank plenty of MetRx back in the day as well but I always like Myoplex better - hands down. I don't recall mixing it being much of an issue for me but back then I always used a blender and would blend thoroughly.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I loved MyoPlex back then too - it tasted great for the time period.

It's funny thinking back to what tasted good back then as compared to today.

I remember the big 3 MRP's back then were MyoPlex, Met RX, and Metaform.

Nac

Nac

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar

Funny you should say that re vanilla, I usually cannot stand fruit flavoured proteins but I vaguely recall now the Myoplex strawberry was quite decent. But looking at the macros those things were 300kcal servings, so not exactly 95% hydrosolates. Youd expect a 300kcal (vs 110kcal hydro) MRP to taste somewhat decent I guess.

Stacks1

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Funny you should say that re vanilla, I usually cannot stand fruit flavoured proteins but I vaguely recall now the Myoplex strawberry was quite decent. But looking at the macros those things were 300kcal servings, so not exactly 95% hydrosolates. Youd expect a 300kcal (vs 110kcal hydro) MRP to taste somewhat decent I guess.
Yeah I remember the strawberry. I actually love fruit flavored protein powders. I mix fruit punch protein powder with fruit punch Gatorade and it makes for a great post workout shake.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I remember back in those days, the MRP's were so expensive and Optimum Nutrition came out with OptiRX and it tasted incredible and was so much cheaper than the others. They even did one that came in plastic bottles, just the powder, so all you had to do was add water or milk and shake it up. Nostalgia haha.

Nac

Nac

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Yeah I remember the strawberry. I actually love fruit flavored protein powders. I mix fruit punch protein powder with fruit punch Gatorade and it makes for a great post workout shake.
Are you talking about Protein Water/Whey Clear products (theyre meant to be mixed with water, rather than milk, and are very similiar in texture/flavour to EAA/BCAA products)? If not, I couldnt think of anything more disgusting lol

For context, my GOAT protein flavours are PEScience Frosted Choc Cupcake and Ghost Chocolate Chip Cookie, 2 pretty sweet and thick products esp when mixed with whole milk.

BigGame84

BigGame84

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I used to love Muscle Milk back when I first started working out. Probably around 2006ish. But looking back that was probably more like a weight gainer. I'm guessing the calories were probably high. The closest thing taste-wise I can get to it now is Beverly UMP Chocolate.

Attachments

Stacks1

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Are you talking about Protein Water/Whey Clear products (theyre meant to be mixed with water, rather than milk, and are very similiar in texture/flavour to EAA/BCAA products)? If not, I couldnt think of anything more disgusting lol

For context, my GOAT protein flavours are PEScience Frosted Choc Cupcake and Ghost Chocolate Chip Cookie, 2 pretty sweet and thick products esp when mixed with whole milk.
No I was referring to AST VP2 fruit punch (of course they no longer make it) or Universal Iso 100 tropical punch (they also stopped making that too). Syntrax still makes a fruit punch but most companies don't anymore. You mix it with either fruit punch Gatorade or fruit punch Gatorade powder and water and it tastes amazing as a post workout shake.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer

Which ones have you tried that you didn't like?

I was just curious because some have gotten much better over the years. And we've had quite a few requests to make fruit flavored proteins.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
No I was referring to AST VP2 fruit punch (of course they no longer make it) or Universal Iso 100 tropical punch (they also stopped making that too). Syntrax still makes a fruit punch but most companies don't anymore. You mix it with either fruit punch Gatorade or fruit punch Gatorade powder and water and it tastes amazing as a post workout shake.
The Syntrax one I haven't used in years because I refuse to spend money with that company, but I remember years ago it being the only protein I'd ever been able to just eat without even mixing it. I may grab some sometimes just to see how it tastes compared to the proteins in todays time.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
The Syntrax one I haven't used in years because I refuse to spend money with that company, but I remember years ago it being the only protein I'd ever been able to just eat without even mixing it. I may grab some sometimes just to see how it tastes compared to the proteins in todays time.
What did Syntrax do? Don’t hold punches; I don’t regarding the brands who I know cheated me (Gaspari, Redcon1).

Stacks1

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
The thing is, very few companies make whey isolate in fruit punch anymore and Syntrax are one of very few. And I have to admit, there's does taste pretty good. VP2 was my standard for a long time. Once they got rid of it then I went to Universal... but then they stopped making it. No I use Isopure, sometimes Syntrax... but I'm still on the prowl for some good whey isolate fruit punch proteins.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
What did Syntrax do? Don’t hold punches; I don’t regarding the brands who I know cheated me (Gaspari, Redcon1).
Syntrax was one of the companies that actually sued some individual people that were forum reps a long time ago. Now granted, some of them deserved it and to a degree the companies they repped for should have told them to STFU and not post some of the stuff they were posting - I didn't fault Syntrax for some of it because some of it was outright slander on their parts. But then, after they actually were successful in suing a few, they went overboard with it and sued some people that weren't even reps for just voicing what amounted to being their opinions. I knew one of those members and it cost him thousands of dollars.

If they had stopped with the first round, where they sued the companies and reps that were being just complete lying jerks, I would have had no issues with it. Because it probably needed to happen to get some of them to stop spreading lies.

That was a long time ago - its not that I dislike them today so much that I wouldn't buy their products. It's that that was why I stopped buying their stuff back them bc I actually loved their Swole and Nectar products back in that period of time. After that, I just got out of the habit of using them and kind of forgot about them. I bet I've thought about Nectar and meant to buy some 5 or 6 times in the last couple years and then just forget about it again and don't. Enough time has passed, that I wouldn't mind buying it now and may actually buy one just to see how good it is by todays standards.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
The thing is, very few companies make whey isolate in fruit punch anymore and Syntrax are one of very few. And I have to admit, there's does taste pretty good. VP2 was my standard for a long time. Once they got rid of it then I went to Universal... but then they stopped making it. No I use Isopure, sometimes Syntrax... but I'm still on the prowl for some good whey isolate fruit punch proteins.
I love fruit punch proteins myself. I don't particularly like Fruit Punch flavor, but VP2 was a good one.

We've been asked quite a bit to do some fruit flavored whey isolates and I've been considering it.

I've thought of doing a Blue Raspberry or the Blue Raspberry Popsicle flavor that we use in our Creatine HCI powder, the Pink Grapefruit that we use in our Creatine HCI powder, and maybe something like a Sour Peach Candy or Grape Limeade or Black Cherry Limeade.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Since we're being nostalgic, does anyone remember Scitec Protein Delite?

Scitec was way ahead of their time. Looking at their old formulas now they don't look impressive, but for their time period they were phenomenal and their flavors were so much better than everyone else's that they would still be good today.

Their Protein Delite Alpine Chocolate had chocolate chips in it and their Vanilla Very Berry was so good that it was very popular even with elderly people back then. Their Lemon Cheesecake was so good I can taste the memory of it just typing it.

Top notch company that kind of over the years just said screw the US market but I believe are still fairly large overseas.

Stacks1

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I love fruit punch proteins myself. I don't particularly like Fruit Punch flavor, but VP2 was a good one.

We've been asked quite a bit to do some fruit flavored whey isolates and I've been considering it.

I've thought of doing a Blue Raspberry or the Blue Raspberry Popsicle flavor that we use in our Creatine HCI powder, the Pink Grapefruit that we use in our Creatine HCI powder, and maybe something like a Sour Peach Candy or Grape Limeade or Black Cherry Limeade.
I mix my post workout protein with sugar (Gatorade powder) and I like the sweet tasting mix of it. I think that's why I like those fruit flavors because they taste great with sugar.

Darkhorse192

Darkhorse192

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
View attachment 235918

Also, remember this. All flavors were good and the profile was different.
I used GF Pro all the time circa 2005, 6, 7 ish. It was great protein, they were the first to do some really different things with flavorings like sour green apple. **** tasted more like "juice" than it did a protein shake.

baldwanus

baldwanus

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
They even did one that came in plastic bottles, just the powder, so all you had to do was add water or milk and shake it up.
Theres a brilliance to this... someone needs to bring this idea back.

Potbelly

Potbelly

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Syntrax was one of the companies that actually sued some individual people that were forum reps a long time ago. Now granted, some of them deserved it and to a degree the companies they repped for should have told them to STFU and not post some of the stuff they were posting - I didn't fault Syntrax for some of it because some of it was outright slander on their parts. But then, after they actually were successful in suing a few, they went overboard with it and sued some people that weren't even reps for just voicing what amounted to being their opinions. I knew one of those members and it cost him thousands of dollars.

If they had stopped with the first round, where they sued the companies and reps that were being just complete lying jerks, I would have had no issues with it. Because it probably needed to happen to get some of them to stop spreading lies.

That was a long time ago - its not that I dislike them today so much that I wouldn't buy their products. It's that that was why I stopped buying their stuff back them bc I actually loved their Swole and Nectar products back in that period of time. After that, I just got out of the habit of using them and kind of forgot about them. I bet I've thought about Nectar and meant to buy some 5 or 6 times in the last couple years and then just forget about it again and don't. Enough time has passed, that I wouldn't mind buying it now and may actually buy one just to see how good it is by todays standards.
I remember that they were suing for 75k a person.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
This thread is like a trip down memory lane.

I remember all that syntrax drama which was a shame bc their proteins were pretty fire.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Theres a brilliance to this... someone needs to bring this idea back.
I loved it. It was so convenient. A little more expensive, but so worth it to me.

That was so long ago I can't even find a picture of it on Google haha.

PolishHamm3r77

PolishHamm3r77

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Wow ATS VP2. Loved that shiz yrs ago. I modeled my trading around the MAX-Ot for yrs. Coincidentally over 40 that didn’t work out well for me this summer. Lmao

PolishHamm3r77

PolishHamm3r77

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Has anyone used Ultimate Nutrition ProStar Whey lately. I thought this company was gone but just came across them again. Haven’t used since 2004. Was good then but as Steve mentioned up above “how our tastes have changed”

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Has anyone used Ultimate Nutrition ProStar Whey lately. I thought this company was gone but just came across them again. Haven’t used since 2004. Was good then but as Steve mentioned up above “how our tastes have changed”
Very interesting because they publicly announced that they closed a few years back. Someone must have bought them.

I haven't used anything by them in 20+ years so I can't give any input on that, but was just reflecting that you were correct to think they were gone bc they announced publicly a couple years back that they closed.

Stacks1

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Wow ATS VP2. Loved that shiz yrs ago. I modeled my trading around the MAX-Ot for yrs. Coincidentally over 40 that didn’t work out well for me this summer. Lmao
Yeah VP2 was my standard. I miss that stuff. I did Max-OT years ago. Nowadays I don't touch any weight that I can't do for 8-12 reps.

PolishHamm3r77

PolishHamm3r77

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Yeah VP2 was my standard. I miss that stuff. I did Max-OT years ago. Nowadays I don't touch any weight that I can't do for 8-12 reps.
[/QUOTE
I knocked out 6 clean reps of skull crushers w plate on each side of ez curl. Added 2 5lbers and on rep 3 things went poorly for my right tri. All 3 of the Rice Krispie guys showed up.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Skull crushers is one of my favorite exercises, but it can be brutal on the tendons and ligaments.

That's one exercise that since starting back working out, I don't let myself push as hard as I can, I make myself go up in incremental stages and intentionally hold back in order to let my joints and ligaments catch up.

PolishHamm3r77

PolishHamm3r77

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I hit them for 5 sets 15reps @ 45lb w 45 sec rest between sets. My strength fades fast after 10th rep. Crazy pump.

Stacks1

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Skull crushers is one of my favorite exercises, but it can be brutal on the tendons and ligaments.

That's one exercise that since starting back working out, I don't let myself push as hard as I can, I make myself go up in incremental stages and intentionally hold back in order to let my joints and ligaments catch up.
Yeah I love skull crushers but it's one of those exercises where I have to sometimes take a break from every so often to avoid any joint issues. I prefer extensions over presses for tricep isolation movements but they tend to be tougher on my elbows.

AwakeningAlpha

AwakeningAlpha

Awards
  • First Up Vote
The Dunkin Donuts Cappuccino protein has been my morning go to. 95mg Caffeine per serving.

Taste wise, RYSE Skippy Peanut Butter is my new favorite.