Weightlifting shoes

georgetown

Awards
  • Established
Been looking at the romaloes, they look good for squats with the raised heel but are they good or impeding for other lifts? (OHP, deadlifts, etc. ?) any other recommendations?

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Fundamentally all they do is change the angle and mechanics of your movement. So so for squats a raised heel (for most) is beneficial in achieving a better ROM in a more upright position.

For deads it just shifts the emphasis slightly onto the quads (for me anyway) but imo isn’t beneficial for pulling more weight (no shoes or just a solid flat base).

Push press I personally don’t notice much difference but others I know say to wear them. Strict OHP it shouldn’t make any difference at all.

I wear lifters to squat and that’s it.

georgetown

Awards
  • Established
Fundamentally all they do is change the angle and mechanics of your movement. So so for squats a raised heel (for most) is beneficial in achieving a better ROM in a more upright position.

For deads it just shifts the emphasis slightly onto the quads (for me anyway) but imo isn’t beneficial for pulling more weight (no shoes or just a solid flat base).

Push press I personally don’t notice much difference but others I know say to wear them. Strict OHP it shouldn’t make any difference at all.

I wear lifters to squat and that’s it.
Are they worth it? Are they a good investment?

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Are they worth it? Are they a good investment?
For squatting absolutely 100%

For anything else there’s no need imo. Obviously most of us squat a fair bit so I think it’s an essential bit of kit.

Phalloides

Awards
Don't squat in only shoes if you use a wide powerlifting stance. If you squat more oly style than a good pair of oly shoes is almost essential once you get used to them.

hsk

Awards
  • Established
If you don't compete, you probably don't need anything too fancy. From a purely economical standpoint though:

$0 - Barefoot, Socks, Flip Flops
$10 to $15 - Non slip socks/fall management slippers
$50 - Vans Authentic Pro / Chuck Taylor All Star Original
$50 to $60 - General Crosstrainers
$75 to $200 - Crossfit, Weightlifting, Squat, DL/Powerlifitng specific