**Weight Loss Progress** (NEED HELP)

brooksy3434

Awards
hey everyone, I joined this site in the summer time, I have been really busy in the and havent been on in awhile but now I am ready to kick it back into high gear...anyways, back in May I had back surgery, I weighed 320lbs at 6'6 and 28% bodyfat... Now, after alot of work in the gym I am 275 and 18% BF.... I feel like I hit a serious plataeu....My workouts consist of circuit weight training and running 3 miles per day... I work out 5 days a week and take in no more than 2000 cals a day... I really want to get down into the 10-12% BF range....any suggestions on how to swtich it up? or should I just increase everything I am doing and do more? thanks.....any help with diet would be great too...

carpee

carpee

Awards
  • Established
start with the diet:

first of all 2000 calories is low. your body may be in starvation mode.
go up to 3000, continue your training and cardio...maybe a new routine, but still intensely.
and taper the calories back down.

2000 cals is a good cut diet for guys under 200 lbs.
the secret to fat loss is contrary to starving, its eating.
switch up your cardio as well, if you're doing the same workouts over and over (running) you will definitely plateau

lemme know if you have any more questions

brooksy3434

Awards
should I just beat the hell out of myself everyday until the point I cant move? as long as I am good for the next day? Im thinking of kicking it up to 6 miles a day and swimming an hour three times a week and switching to a split weight routine

carpee

carpee

Awards
  • Established
should I just beat the hell out of myself everyday until the point I cant move? as long as I am good for the next day? Im thinking of kicking it up to 6 miles a day and swimming an hour three times a week and switching to a split weight routine
no.

train hard/intense enough to build muscle but don't kill yourself.

ass odd as it sounds, increasing your calories should break you out of the plateau.
maybe go up to 3200-3500 and drop 100 calories a week for 12 weeks.

i think your body is in starvation mode. yes this will make you lose weight to an extent, but you've hit that extent ie. your plateau

you need to wake your metabolism back up.
look into calorie cycling and carb cycling.
great ways to keep the metabolism guessing, and trick your body into feeling satiated while burning fat.

bigbeef

bigbeef

Awards
  • Established
def need to add calories. I was in the same position about two years, someone told me to up my calories and it worked. Also read up on insulin sensitivity and timing insulin spikes. Just something I been reading into. My supplement with anabolic pump or glycobol.

jumpshot903

jumpshot903

Awards
  • Established
Variation is key your body becomes accustomed to a workout if you do it consitently if you have been doing the same routine for a while now switch it up instead of running 3 miles try HIIT or High Intensity Interval Traning where lets say you use an elliptical you warm up for 5 minutes then do 30 seconds full out sprint you can raise resitance and croosramp as you please then rest for 30-90 seconds then repeat as many times as you feel i usually do 10 minutes of it then a 5 minute cool down. Cause despite popular belief HIIT is better for fat loss because you burn calories after you are done as well for a while afterward. As far as weight training mix up the reps push yourself but not too hard to the point you risk and injury.

Diet i would probally be more comfortable with you at like 2500-2800 calories but people mentioned good ways to go about changing that up so im not really going to comment on that. But you have to keep your body guessing dont let it get used to a workout switch it up a lot intensity, reps, weight, and excerises switch it often to confuse your muscles.

Hope it helps

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I second the HIIT... If you like running then try the jog/sprint method, swimming? HIIT can be done there as well. I personally really dislike the elliptical, but yeah sure. Want to participate in GREAT HIIT??? Join a Spin Class, it's HIIT in pure form. Plus you can take a bike in the back of the class and enjoy the view, just saying :)

brooksy3434

Awards
great advice guys...and great articles cranhgel....

brooksy3434

Awards
def need to add calories. I was in the same position about two years, someone told me to up my calories and it worked. Also read up on insulin sensitivity and timing insulin spikes. Just something I been reading into. My supplement with anabolic pump or glycobol.

how do you time an insulin spike?

jumpshot903

jumpshot903

Awards
  • Established
I second the HIIT... If you like running then try the jog/sprint method, swimming? HIIT can be done there as well. I personally really dislike the elliptical, but yeah sure. Want to participate in GREAT HIIT??? Join a Spin Class, it's HIIT in pure form. Plus you can take a bike in the back of the class and enjoy the view, just saying :)
Elliptical deffinately isnt the best way to do HIIT and i agree but its what i use and thats why i suggested it : P :1244: its also easier for a beginner but thats my take. Other then that great advice everyone.

carpee

carpee

Awards
  • Established
Most physical activity can be used for cardio reasons.
Your fundamental problem right now is that you are not eating enough for weight loss