Weaker from Kratom?

Sage0607

Sage0607

Awards
Hey everyone was wondering if anyone has the same experience as me here or could explain why this happens. Basically anytime I take kratom which is usually at night time when the next day I am weaker on my lifts. I do not take kratom frequently at all maybe once every couple weeks but when I do this happens every single time. Usually I do 4 sets of 5 reps 435 on bench and if I take kratom it will drop to like 415 4 sets of 5 reps. And deadlifts will go from 5 sets of 5 605 all the way down to 575 or 585 for 5 reps 5 sets that day. I really do like kratom accasionally but seeing as how I only lift for strength this makes me want to never take it again as these are drastic changes in strength and workout intensity for me.

kira1357

Awards
I mean... regardless of what any of us say, it sounds like you're confident in the link here and are leaning toward changing your use of it on your own. Your lifts are solid though dude

Sage0607

Sage0607

Awards
I mean... regardless of what any of us say, it sounds like you're confident in the link here and are leaning toward changing your use of it on your own. Your lifts are solid though dude
I appreciate it man I'm a big dude so I got that in my favor to be fair 6'4 320lbs. But yea I was posting this to see if anyone else had a similar problem as me or if they knew how to negate it.

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Nah opposite for me. I could be dead tired or sore and take some green kratom and lifts would all be good. Everybody is different though. I'm guessing your taking red kratom before bed?

Sage0607

Sage0607

Awards
Nah opposite for me. I could be dead tired or sore and take some green kratom and lifts would all be good. Everybody is different though. I'm guessing your taking red kratom before bed?
It's actually a mix of different kratoms. I just sometimes like to watch TV on it I find it relaxing haha

Dominus

Dominus

Awards
I took Kratom every day for 7 years, quit in 2022 because it was wrecking my digestive system and causing chronic constipation…. Then again I was using over an ounce of powder per day. I noticed my strength decreasing also, which I chalked up to nutrition, or lake thereof due to digestive issues.

Sage0607

Sage0607

Awards
I took Kratom every day for 7 years, quit in 2022 because it was wrecking my digestive system and causing chronic constipation…. Then again I was using over an ounce of powder per day. I noticed my strength decreasing also, which I chalked up to nutrition, or lake thereof due to digestive issues.
Over an ounce a day holy crap! I take like 4 grams when I have mine lmfao

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I have never researched it enough to know the reasons behind it or if anyone knows the exact reasons, but I have heard that from quite a few people over the years that it seems to have a negative impact on their strength, especially over time.

Sage0607

Sage0607

Awards
I have never researched it enough to know the reasons behind it or if anyone knows the exact reasons, but I have heard that from quite a few people over the years that it seems to have a negative impact on their strength, especially over time.
Good to know! Thanks man

jewgold

jewgold

Awards
  • Established
Kratom does tend to dehydrate you so if you take it at night and then go lift in the morning might be a bit dehydrated. I would try having an electrolyte drink preworkout and see if that helps.

KvanH

KvanH

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Established
  • RockStar
I'm only spitballing, but if the Kratom is negatively affecting your sleep cycles, then that could affect your strenght the next day. The sleep cycles can get disrupted and negatively affected with some compounds, even if it makes you feel like you sleep better on it. THC for example can have that kind of contradicting effect.

Sage0607

Sage0607

Awards
Kratom does tend to dehydrate you so if you take it at night and then go lift in the morning might be a bit dehydrated. I would try having an electrolyte drink preworkout and see if that helps.
Usually I lift later in the day so I would assume I was fully hydrated by that time but who knows.

Sage0607

Sage0607

Awards
I'm only spitballing, but if the Kratom is negatively affecting your sleep cycles, then that could affect your strenght the next day. The sleep cycles can get disrupted and negatively affected with some compounds, even if it makes you feel like you sleep better on it. THC for example can have that kind of contradicting effect.
Could very likely be the case. I have noticed less aggression for a couple days after taking kratom as well

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I had a wicked tolerance… it is highly addictive if you abuse it.
I dont think many ppl realize it either. I highly suggest if guys like it they only use it far and few.

@Sage0607 i dont have a ton of kratom experience but ive used a few kinds for probably a total of maybe 20-30 doses over 2 years. Not every kind has tge same effects. For bodybuilding and even some mma guys they like it because they can block out the pain and push themselves harder. But i dont know any strength athletes who use it. The only one i can think of was one if the bell brothers and i think he was using it to kick a addiction.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Il be transparent, im a rep for MA so take it with a grain of salt but we had great user feedback with mitradopa (still dont reccomend daily use of this either) i like it for focus and relaxing when i play in poker tournaments.

We have a new improved version now but i havnt had a chance to try it yet.

Stacks1

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I was going to try kratom but after all the stories I read I just couldn't justify even trying the stuff and getting started on it. As someone who has never used it (so take my opinion for what it's worth), really ask yourself if it's worth continuing using. If you're getting weaker on it, I think you've already answered your question.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I had a wicked tolerance… it is highly addictive if you abuse it.
the abuse it part is key. I used if for probably a couple years and decided to stop cold turkey to save money and was fine. Buddy of mine said stopping was terrible. I only used 2 grams at a time…he used wayyyy more.

caffeine seems to be the thing I can’t stop without feeling absolutely terrible. That I abuse haha

Sage0607

Sage0607

Awards
Yea
I was going to try kratom but after all the stories I read I just couldn't justify even trying the stuff and getting started on it. As someone who has never used it (so take my opinion for what it's worth), really ask yourself if it's worth continuing using. If you're getting weaker on it, I think you've already answered your question.
Yea I think I am gonna just toss it in the trash its not worth the strength decline at least in my opinion. As to the sides you talked about from kratom I used it in such moderation that I didn't have any sides other then this dumb strength loss

CATdiesel76

CATdiesel76

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I have used kratom for about 9 years. Tolerance has gone from 4 caps to 7 caps to reach effect in that time. Sometimes take a whole week, sometimes 2x a day, sometimes 2 days off after every dose. Never felt addicted to it physically or anything but do have to be conscientious to not take it for the mood boost after a long day at times just for a break. But never like fighting an addiction and feel no different on days without it.

Now to your question, I feel like it can inhibit sleep and digestion/appetite. That alone could do it. But also, especially if not taken often, it’s probably relaxing your cns too much to fire as many muscle fibers as usual would be a part of it as well. People don’t actually lose 20 lbs or whatever off of lifts in short time. Even when you take a month of lifting and came back weaker, that’s mostly a change in leverages or loss of neurological patterns and coordination than actual strength loss

Sage0607

Sage0607

Awards
I have used kratom for about 9 years. Tolerance has gone from 4 caps to 7 caps to reach effect in that time. Sometimes take a whole week, sometimes 2x a day, sometimes 2 days off after every dose. Never felt addicted to it physically or anything but do have to be conscientious to not take it for the mood boost after a long day at times just for a break. But never like fighting an addiction and feel no different on days without it.

Now to your question, I feel like it can inhibit sleep and digestion/appetite. That alone could do it. But also, especially if not taken often, it’s probably relaxing your cns too much to fire as many muscle fibers as usual would be a part of it as well. People don’t actually lose 20 lbs or whatever off of lifts in short time. Even when you take a month of lifting and came back weaker, that’s mostly a change in leverages or loss of neurological patterns and coordination than actual strength loss
Appreciate the reply bro it's much appreciated

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I am unfortunately addicted to kratom at this point and I need to taper very badly, my tolerance is horrible. I’ve taken it for the last 7 years, with 5 of those being daily no breaks.

however I’ve never noticed negative impacts to my training from it.

I need to taper, and I will. I’ve just been dealing with a separate anxiety issue and need to get it under control before I throw another wrench into it and give myself anxiety from the taper/withdrawal. I plan to buy a bunch of supplements and pharmaceutical’s to help the withdrawal symptoms, I had stocked up on all the supplements and put some RX items in my cart ready to order, then this wave of panic came out of nowhere and knocked me on my ass so I need to change as little as possible until the anxiety is fixed

Last edited:

JD284

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
I’ve been using it off and on since 2021, but for the past 8 months or so I’ve been using it daily anywhere from 4-8gm. Initially it added a boost for work and workouts but then I had to add a little more for the same effect and also to keep my mood positive. I also started having more beer and being a slug. Now I’m just cutting it back a little bit as I’m starting to work out again and reintroduce more balance into my life. In March I injured my thumb/wrist and couldn’t do any upper body lifts. Then in June I twisted my knee and couldn’t do any lower body, or even exercise at all really. So I’ve been out of commission for a while and kratom helped, mentally and with some of the pain. I ended up getting a shot for my wrist and the knee I never got checked out but I definitely tore something as it swelled up and was in pain every day for months. I’m basically starting from scratch using just the barbell for lifts. While on kratom my appetite tanked and even with the beer I lost 10lb. I do plan to continue using it as I get back into lifting, I think it could be effective for cutting programs.

TLDR- it’s effective but it IS a drug and should be used carefully
Edit: I never had it impact my lifts like that but I agree with others that it could be the relaxing effect or mental effect causing that for you

Last edited:

JD284

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
I am unfortunately addicted to kratom at this point and I need to taper very badly, my tolerance is horrible. I’ve taken it for the last 7 years, with 5 of those being daily no breaks.

I need to taper, and I will. I’ve just been dealing with a separate anxiety issue and need to get it under control before I throw another wrench into it and give myself anxiety from the taper/withdrawal. I plan to buy a bunch of supplements and pharmaceutical’s to help the withdrawal symptoms, I had stocked up on all the supplements and put some RX items in my cart ready to order, then this wave of panic came out of nowhere and knocked me on my ass so I need to change as little as possible until the anxiety is fixed
I sympathize with your situation, when I stop it’s like flu symptoms for 2-3 days then I’m good. It really does help with anxiety but comes with strings attached

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

Man, I truly feel for you because it is some really nasty stuff and gets it's hooks into you, I've been following your struggle getting off for awhile now. It took me a solid 4 months to feel normal after stopping and it took a lot of internal strength to walk away from it.

Have you tried black seed oil and DLPA as a start. I assume you have as you've mentioned the challenges in the past.

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
At
Man, I truly feel for you because it is some really nasty stuff and gets it's hooks into you, I've been following your struggle getting off for awhile now. It took me a solid 4 months to feel normal after stopping and it took a lot of internal strength to walk away from it.

Have you tried black seed oil and DLPA as a start. I assume you have as you've mentioned the challenges in the past.
I have tried BSO, but not DLPA that’s a new one for me. With my recent increase in anxiety I’ve really put a stop to trying to decrease my dosing.

I have no issues taking it daily forever if I have to as it does still give me benefits (until it becomes illegal lol) I just need to cut the dose way down which is relatively easy for me, it’s the complete stopping I always fail at which I need to make a general taper my goal to start with, I think.

jarrellt67

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
At

I have tried BSO, but not DLPA that’s a new one for me. With my recent increase in anxiety I’ve really put a stop to trying to decrease my dosing.

I have no issues taking it daily forever if I have to as it does still give me benefits (until it becomes illegal lol) I just need to cut the dose way down which is relatively easy for me, it’s the complete stopping I always fail at which I need to make a general taper my goal to start with, I think.
Have you tried memantine? I've tried all the usual supplements and memantine, so far, is the only thing that's had a big impact. Just one week of 2.5-5 mg (it's a liquid and doses that small are hard to get exact) before bed has cut my daily amount in half. Only side effects so far is some minor headaches.

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Have you tried memantine? I've tried all the usual supplements and memantine, so far, is the only thing that's had a big impact. Just one week of 2.5-5 mg (it's a liquid and doses that small are hard to get exact) before bed has cut my daily amount in half. Only side effects so far is some minor headaches.
I have not.. adding to my list to look into! I’ve got black seed oil and lots of vitamin c for when I’m ready to try again.. I’ll add those two to my list.