Wanna incorperate Smith Machine Exercises - Any pointer?

bradspencer74

bradspencer74

Awards
Hi guys,

Now that I'm at a gym with 3 smith machines, both with and without benches, I've been thinking about using it for a few exercises for some variety. I've never used the thing before, and I know from reading that the movement feels a bit different than a free bar and according to some, takes some getting accustomed to.

So can you give me some advise about using it, and what exercises I should try first to gain some experience with it.

Thanks
~Brad

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Bench Press and Shoulder Press are fun to do on a smith. It removes the need for 'stabilizer muscles' and you can lift a sh*t ton more than usual. Great for isolation or for making yourself feel like a badass.

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
i love the smith machine....... i do seated military presses,incline bench,upright rows,and squats in the smith......

Travis

Travis

Banned
Awards
  • Established
My tip is dont use them....lol. Early early in my weight training life I use to use one to squat. Somehow I managed to tear a rhomboid (fukcin sucked).

Anyway, I use it to do reverse bench and behind the neck should presses. I really like it for reverse bench both wide grip and close grip.

Bull Mkt

Awards
Smith machines are great for one armed shoulder shrugs...I find that they isolate and you don't deal with the damn dumbell rolling up and down the side of your legs/hips and peeling off your shorts...Hahaaa!!!!

b unit

b unit

Awards
  • Established
smith machines are great if you train solo as well

psychospic

psychospic

Awards
  • Established
Drop sets with upright rows you will feel your traps and medial delts explode giving you a very nice forearm/bicep/delt/trap pump.

Niko

Board Supporter
Awards
Drop sets with upright rows you will feel your traps and medial delts explode giving you a very nice forearm/bicep/delt/trap pump.

Your Rotator Cuff and AC joint will probably explode too.

Just saying.

psychospic

psychospic

Awards
  • Established
Your Rotator Cuff and AC joint will probably explode too.

Just saying.

You're right but as long you don't crazy with the wieght and execute proper form and of courselisten to your body you should be fine. You don't want to pack on the weight just becuase its on a smith machine. I've seen some guys pack the wieght on and do the exericses half assed especially when it comes to shoulder presses.

With the upright row, if you cant bring your elbows to a 90 degree angle then you need to bring the weight down.

warjcowksi

warjcowksi

Awards
Smith throws... Basically a normal press, but once you extend your arms you let go of the bar and throw it as high as you can.

Rictor33

Awards
  • Established
Bad for your joints... Stay away. I use it for behind the back shrugs, thats it. I guess you could do reverse-grip bench for tris on it, that would be ok.. Otherwise I think the Smith sucks and causes more harm then good, especially for novice lifters who think it's the way to go due to ignorance.

earlyriser73

earlyriser73

Awards
I agree with those guys who say stay away from them. Good advice. Do a search on T-Nation about them, not good for you.

b unit

b unit

Awards
  • Established
I agree with those guys who say stay away from them. Good advice. Do a search on T-Nation about them, not good for you.
dude, IMHO there's a time and a place for smth machines, as long as u use correct form then where's the risk? over the years i've trained alone a lot and in empty gyms and the smith machine was invaluable for still being able to go heavy without worrying about eating the bar if i couldn't make the last rep.

bottom line is that inproper form with any exercise and on any piece of equipment can be hazzardess to your health. anyone care to argue with that?

in saying that though, novice lifters are better suited to free weights until they learn the correct movements and basic form, without learning proper form and technique, your foundations will be weak and you will never be anything special.

:thumbsup: