Ultra High Reps(25+) Training!

• Thread starter Calisthenic Kyle
  • Start date
Calisthenic Kyle

Calisthenic Kyle

Awards
Hey guys!

Been a long time since I've been on this forum (About 10 years) had to make a new profile since I can't remember my AOL password. But anyways has anyone tried Ultra High reps(25+) type of training for a decent amount of time?

An interesting article on it:

I will be doing this for the next 30 days starting June 8th. If you want to follow along make sure to subscribe to my youtube channel:
Fitness with Calisthenic Kyle

I'm excited to be back on the minds!

cronikgains

cronikgains

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Established
I've often done this kind of training after a long break from training (1+ years break) and I find that it really gets my muscles pumped up and full rather quickly. I don't think it would be beneficial as a starting plan for someone new to lifting as I believe a program like Starting Strength is ideal to building a foundation.

However, muscle memory is an amazing thing and I feel like high rep work really helps for a comeback. This is likely due to your body haven recruited more muscle nuclei from previous training?? I'm no expert on the science of this, I just have a good idea of how it works in my mind lol.

To this day, I have limited equipment and still do higher reps than I would like (been benching with sets of 20 reps lately). I don't think it's ideal, but everybody responds differently and it might work well for you.

I subscribed. Looking forward to seeing how well it works for you!

Calisthenic Kyle

Calisthenic Kyle

Awards
I've often done this kind of training after a long break from training (1+ years break) and I find that it really gets my muscles pumped up and full rather quickly. I don't think it would be beneficial as a starting plan for someone new to lifting as I believe a program like Starting Strength is ideal to building a foundation.

However, muscle memory is an amazing thing and I feel like high rep work really helps for a comeback. This is likely due to your body haven recruited more muscle nuclei from previous training?? I'm no expert on the science of this, I just have a good idea of how it works in my mind lol.

To this day, I have limited equipment and still do higher reps than I would like (been benching with sets of 20 reps lately). I don't think it's ideal, but everybody responds differently and it might work well for you.

I subscribed. Looking forward to seeing how well it works for you!
Awesome man stay tuned should be cool! I’m excited you’re exactly right with this wouldn’t be good for a beginner trying to build a foundation. But for those that have built it this should be a great way to train periodically! Body responds best to confusion, I believe.

Calisthenic Kyle

Calisthenic Kyle

Awards
I always do high reps towards the end of my workout. 20 plus sometimes but probably not more then 25 except for on pushups.
Nice! Ya I'll be only doing 25+ reps the whole workout, should be fun to see what happens!

Calisthenic Kyle

Calisthenic Kyle

Awards
Day1 is about to commenece! Planning on doing
Warmup
3 sets of 25reps deadlifts
3 sets of falsegrip ring rows 25reps
3 of 30 shotgun band rows
3 sets 25reps of kettle bell swings

315 total reps! Hopefully I can do this in 30 mins

Calisthenic Kyle

Calisthenic Kyle

Awards
Day1 is about to commenece! Planning on doing
Warmup
3 sets of 25reps deadlifts
3 sets of falsegrip ring rows 25reps
3 of 30 shotgun band rows
3 sets 25reps of kettle bell swings

315 total reps! Hopefully I can do this in 30 mins
Not going to lie this was a difficult workout! The deadlifts were the easiest part although I was keeping it extremely light(im going to do this for the first half of the 30days then will go a little heavier)
The false grip ring rows were the most difficult excercises by far but overall was an amazing workout! Very excited! Stay tuned yall!

Calisthenic Kyle

Calisthenic Kyle

Awards
I'm in to hear how the sets of 25 for deadlifts go once you start to go a little heavier.
I will be going heavier in the second half of the 30 days!

Calisthenic Kyle

Calisthenic Kyle

Awards
Day2

Body weight calf raises:
25repsx3

Squats:
45lbs 25reps
65lbs 25reps
95lbs 25reps

Kettle Bell Lunges:
35lbs 30reps
26lbs 25reps

This workout was tough for me because I’m still getting back into the groove of consistently working out. Had to do this one after work today and was pretty exhausted already. Have a decently physical job. Probably gonna be sore as **** tomorrow haha. Gonna up the stretching and the protein intake!

Calisthenic Kyle

Calisthenic Kyle

Awards
Day3

Bench:
65lbs x 35 reps
95lbs x 30 reps
115lbs x 25 reps
135lbs x 25 reps

Handstand holds against wall:
35 seconds
30 seconds
30seconds

Half cling to press:
65 x 17reps (this was super tough)
45lbs x 25reps

Tricep band single side pulldown:
40lb x 30reps each side
40lb x 30reps
40lbs x 25reps

Reverse Barbell Curls:
65lbs x 25 reps (a little bit of bouncing towards the end)
65lbs x 25reps
45lbs x 25reps

Awesome workout. Chest feels strong, probably from all the ring dips I have been doing. Still taking it really easy getting back into the swing of things! I got 2 days off now! Time to relax, recover with some good food and stretch!

Calisthenic Kyle

Calisthenic Kyle

Awards
Day 6

Deads:
135lbs x 25reps
135lbs x 25reps
135lbs x 25reps
Deadlifts felt great! Will be ramping up a little next deadlift based day.

Standing barbell curls:
45lbs x 25reps
65lbs x 25 reps
45lbs x 30 reps

Pushups on parallettes into handstand holds:
25 pushups 25second holds
25 pushups 25 second holds
25 pushups 25 second holds

Overall great workout! Give this one a try pretty exhausting!

Calisthenic Kyle

Calisthenic Kyle

Awards
Day 7

Incline barbell bench:
95lbs x 25 reps
115lbs x 25 reps
95lbs x 25 reps

False Grip Rows on rings:
25 reps
25 reps
25 reps

Barbell Bench:
95lbs x 25reps
115 lbs x 25 reps
95 lbs x 25 reps

Band kickbacks:
20lbs 30 reps
30 reps
30reps

These workouts for sure aint getting easier can’t wait to get back to the 6-10 range(Forgot to post this last night)

Calisthenic Kyle

Calisthenic Kyle

Awards
Day 8

Barbell Squats:
65lbs x 25 reps
95lbs x 25 reps
75lbs x 25 reps

Barbell calf raises.
45lbs x 25 reps
65lbs x 30 reps
65lbs x 25 reps

Kettle Bell lunges
30reps
30reps
30 reps

Calisthenic Kyle

Calisthenic Kyle

Awards
Day 11

Deadlifts:
135lbs x 25 reps
155lbs x 25 reps
185lbs x 25 reps
185lbs x 25 reps Felt real strong on these sets no belt, no wraps a little bit of chalk was used

Pushups on parallettes with 12lb vest:
25 reps
25 reps
25reps no vest

KB row on flat bench
35lbs x 25reps each side
35lbs x 25reps

This was a good workout! Give it a try!

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I am 63 years old and can't lift heavy like I used too, I do alot of training in the 20 rep range, I don't think I really build any muscle, but I am able to maintain what I have.

Calisthenic Kyle

Calisthenic Kyle

Awards
I am 63 years old and can't lift heavy like I used too, I do alot of training in the 20 rep range, I don't think I really build any muscle, but I am able to maintain what I have.
Would be beneficial for you to change it up to lower reps and you could prbbly go a little bit heavier!

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Would be beneficial for you to change it up to lower reps and you could prbbly go a little bit heavier!
Heavier is too hard on the joints, I will leave the heavy weights for you kids, I ani't in bad shape for a 60 year old !!

MikeSumthin

MikeSumthin

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Heavier is too hard on the joints, I will leave the heavy weights for you kids, I ani't in bad shape for a 60 year old !!
I think he means slap on 10 or so more pounds and dropping 2 to 5 reps each set, nothing crazy...

Btw... 185lb deadlifts for 25 is freaking amazing at any age... but u being 60 should be wearing a freaking superhero outfit...

Calisthenic Kyle

Calisthenic Kyle

Awards
I think he means slap on 10 or so more pounds and dropping 2 to 5 reps each set, nothing crazy...

Btw... 185lb deadlifts for 25 is freaking amazing at any age... but u being 60 should be wearing a freaking superhero outfit...
Yep! Just meant increasing weight slightly and decreasing reps. Slowly ramping up... should be at 225lbs for 25 reps next week

AwakeningAlpha

AwakeningAlpha

Awards
  • First Up Vote
Kai Green utilizes sets around 20.

Last edited:
cronikgains

cronikgains

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Established
Been doing more high-rep deadlifts lately and wow, it is brutal. I can't believe you do 25 rep deads bro that's insane lol. But I am sure it highly effective if you manage to keep good form. I just do a lot of pausing to correct myself if I start to feel my form breaking. Most I do is 20. Just did 80 total reps for squats today (plus a bunch of bulgarian split squats and b/w burnout squats at the end) and I can't walk up and down the stairs in my house right now...

High rep stuff is great if you work out at home and don't have a ton of plates to constantly make progress going heavy.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I love (ok hate) 5 reps of 20 squats - 100 reps feels like I'm going to die !

enhanced

enhanced

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
A bodybuilder back in the early 90s told me about high rep squats. I've been doing them ever since. Especially with my bad lower back. 4x25 is very humbling. Lol

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
A bodybuilder back in the early 90s told me about high rep squats. I've been doing them ever since. Especially with my bad lower back. 4x25 is very humbling. Lol
Yes it is !!

Calisthenic Kyle

Calisthenic Kyle

Awards
I did front squats last night felt great! 3 sets of 25reps with just the barbell for now.

Calisthenic Kyle

Calisthenic Kyle

Awards
Day 14

Front Barbell Squat:
45lbs x 25 reps
45lbs x 25 reps
45lbs x 25 reps

Barbell Calf raises
45lbs x 30 reps
45lbs x 30 reps
45lbs x 30 reps

Bulgarian Dumbbell squats on flat bench:
20lbs x 30 reps
20lbs x 30 reps
20lbs x 30 reps

Legs were pretty tired, did this workout yesterday. Forgot to post. I have today off and back at it for 3 days. Half way done, honestly can’t wait to get this over with haha. This is the first time I’ve ever worked out consistently with a structured program tho.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Sticking to the program and getting results !!

MikeSumthin

MikeSumthin

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
This is good motivation for me to up my rep range to 25 for alittle while... definitely a good way to break through plateaus.

Calisthenic Kyle

Calisthenic Kyle

Awards
Day 16

Bench:

115lbs x 25 reps
135lbs x 25 reps
95lbs x 25 reps

Dumbbell latteral raises:

10s x 25 reps
10s x 25 reps(workout is pretty tough so far)
5s x 25 reps

Kettlebell upright row:
26lbs x 25 reps
35lbs x 25 reps
26lbs x 25 reps

Dumbbell kickbacks on flat bench:
10s x 25 reps
10s x 25 reps

Not a bad little workout tonight after work. Pretty happy with it!

cronikgains

cronikgains

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Established
Day 16

Bench:

115lbs x 25 reps
135lbs x 25 reps
95lbs x 25 reps

Dumbbell latteral raises:

10s x 25 reps
10s x 25 reps(workout is pretty tough so far)
5s x 25 reps

Kettlebell upright row:
26lbs x 25 reps
35lbs x 25 reps
26lbs x 25 reps

Dumbbell kickbacks on flat bench:
10s x 25 reps
10s x 25 reps

Not a bad little workout tonight after work. Pretty happy with it!
The pumps from these workouts must be incredible

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Looks like a Great Workout!

Kronic

Kronic

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I'm currently doing low weight high rep hypertrophy training right now. huge volume though. every once in a while I go to medium weight. it works but you get weird muscle strains. I think my left forearm's pinky muscle got strained from holding stuff too much.

Calisthenic Kyle

Calisthenic Kyle

Awards
Day 17

Falsegrip gymnastic ring rows:
25 reps
25 reps
25 reps (Full range of motion controlled form on these)

Dumbbell curls:
20s x 15 reps regular 10 hammer style reps(little bit of swinging toward the end)
15s x 25 reps

Kettlebell swings superset 45lb slam ball:
26lb x 25 reps slamball 10 reps
35lb x 25 reps slamball 10 reps( these sets feel great try them out!)
35lbs x 25 reps slamball 10 reps

Going to finish with some gymnastic ring hanging routine for time.

I definitely like working out in the morning before work. I’m pretty exhausted after work so makes the workout not that much fun haha.

Calisthenic Kyle

Calisthenic Kyle

Awards
Day 17

Falsegrip gymnastic ring rows:
25 reps
25 reps
25 reps (Full range of motion controlled form on these)

Dumbbell curls:
20s x 15 reps regular 10 hammer style reps(little bit of swinging toward the end)
15s x 25 reps

Kettlebell swings superset 45lb slam ball:
26lb x 25 reps slamball 10 reps
35lb x 25 reps slamball 10 reps( these sets feel great try them out!)
35lbs x 25 reps slamball 10 reps

Going to finish with some gymnastic ring hanging routine for time.

I definitely like working out in the morning before work. I’m pretty exhausted after work so makes the workout not that much fun haha.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I enjoy a early morning workout also!

Calisthenic Kyle

Calisthenic Kyle

Awards
Day 18

Barbell Squats:

95lbs x 25 reps super set gymnastic ring pullups 7 reps

95lbs x 25 reps (with belt) super set rings pullups 7 reps

95lbs x 25 reps (belt) super set rings pullups 7 reps

Calf raises 1 foot standing:
25 reps

60 reps both legs

60 reps both legs

Shorter little leg workout. Took a while tho was decently difficult. Have a bit of a headache this morning. My neck feels pretty dam tight but over all great workout!

MikeSumthin

MikeSumthin

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Just did 5 sets of 20reps of deadlifts
135 x 2sets
185 x 3sets

Then a full leg workout routine.
This kind of training is very humbling just because of the exhaustion of going from all of those deadlifts into a whole other workout... damn, I'm gonna sleep good tonight!

Calisthenic Kyle

Calisthenic Kyle

Awards
Just did 5 sets of 20reps of deadlifts
135 x 2sets
185 x 3sets

Then a full leg workout routine.
This kind of training is very humbling just because of the exhaustion of going from all of those deadlifts into a whole other workout... damn, I'm gonna sleep good tonight!
Hell ya dude! Try it for 30 days lol. I dont think ill ever do this again. Not very enjoyable haha

cronikgains

cronikgains

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Established
Any physical changes so far? I imagine your muscles are swole from all this heavy rep stuff lol

Also, what's your diet like? Are you eating to gain muscle, eating around maintenance, or what??

Sparta12

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I did squats(bar only) and rdls(bar +20kg) last night 3x25 plus my other exercises (Leg press heavy, leg curl, leg ext, kb swing, oh lord I feel that now

I like doing high reps on big lifts, the pump is insane

MikeSumthin

MikeSumthin

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Any physical changes so far? I imagine your muscles are swole from all this heavy rep stuff lol

Also, what's your diet like? Are you eating to gain muscle, eating around maintenance, or what??
Wasn't sure who this was directed to but I know on my end, my core is alot stronger. My endurance has gone up due to this being some good cardio.

Yesterday I did seated rows and just felt alot more stable than usual and had a good tempo w each rep. Def from a stronger core.

Calisthenic Kyle

Calisthenic Kyle

Awards

Yes I’m seeing physical changes. I’ll be creating a video towards the end and I took a few before pictures and I’ll take a few after pics. My diet has remained the same for the most part. So it would be eating for maintenance basically. Almost done with this 30 day deal! I think I have about 7 days left!

Calisthenic Kyle

Calisthenic Kyle

Awards
I did squats(bar only) and rdls(bar +20kg) last night 3x25 plus my other exercises (Leg press heavy, leg curl, leg ext, kb swing, oh lord I feel that now

I like doing high reps on big lifts, the pump is insane
I feel like its a good way to train really good form as well with lighter weight and more repetitions.